Metalheads & Writers

All these metalbands I need to look up. I do have an affinity for female lead metal bands.
Drain STH
Otep
Straight Line Stitch

And even though they aren't really metal, I love just about every. single. song. they've made; Guano Apes.

All these metalbands I need to look up. I do have an affinity for female lead metal bands.
Drain STH
Otep
Straight Line Stitch

And even though they aren't really metal, I love just about every. single. song. they've made; Guano Apes.

You might love this:

Collide from California covering White Rabbit. It's more of a techno- industrial cover, but I really love KaRen's vocals🌹
https://youtu.be/-ZZHFVJOrUk
👠👠👠Kant

Drain STH
Otep
Straight Line Stitch

Welcome!

You might like Oceans of Slumber. They are much less modern in their approach, but the singer is unbelievably good.

https://youtu.be/uj2lpQxGKhU

And for some outstanding traditional female fronted metal, check out Benedictum. Haven't heard much from them recently, but at one time the singer was billed as the female Dio.

https://youtu.be/xwVcEvycIFg

While you're at it, look into the deluge of European symphonic metal acts like Nightwish, Delain, Epica, Sirenia and After Forever. Might not be quite your thing, but then, it never hurts to experience new things.

Also, a special shout out to System Divide. My fave extreme metal with lady vocals band.

https://youtu.be/YeMAmRFcub0

Welcome!

You might like Oceans of Slumber. They are much less modern in their approach, but the singer is unbelievably good.

https://youtu.be/uj2lpQxGKhU

And for some outstanding traditional female fronted metal, check out Benedictum. Haven't heard much from them recently, but at one time the singer was billed as the female Dio.

https://youtu.be/xwVcEvycIFg

While you're at it, look into the deluge of European symphonic metal acts like Nightwish, Delain, Epica, Sirenia and After Forever. Might not be quite your thing, but then, it never hurts to experience new things.

Also, a special shout out to System Divide. My fave extreme metal with lady vocals band.

https://youtu.be/YeMAmRFcub0

You beat me to mentioning Nightwish. Older The Gathering is good, just not heavy in my opinion like Archenemy😎

If you want heavy with a capital H, check out System Divide, Kant. They'll blow your fishnets off :)

What I'm jamming to tonight:
Psyclon Nine - Behind a serrated grin
👠👠👠Kant🌹

Classic metal album for tonight: Bathory - Hammerheart

The man known as Quorthon was a chaotic genius. With his earlier "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" he laid down the foundation of what would later be known as the second generation of Black Metal (with Venom, Hellhammer, early Sodom etc. being the first). But I picked "Hammerheart" because it was utterly unexpected. Heavy as fuck, yes, but with a majestic beauty and gripping, heartfelt emotion despite it's deceptive simplicity. And with this masterpiece of an album did he place the seed which would produce bands such as Thyrfing, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Atlantean Codex and so many others. It just goes to show - you don't have to be a technical wizard or a six-octave virtuoso to make music to stand the test of time. Sometimes all it takes is one crazy dude with ambition and the will to get shit done. He died too soon.

https://youtu.be/esI8PjCzgCU

Last edited:
Classic metal album for tonight: Bathory - Hammerheart

The man known as Quorthon was a chaotic genius. With his earlier "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" he laid down the foundation of what would later be known as the second generation of Black Metal (with Venom, Hellhammer, early Sodom etc. being the first). But I picked "Hammerheart" because it was utterly unexpected. Heavy as fuck, yes, but with a majestic beauty and gripping, heartfelt emotion despite it's deceptive simplicity. And with this masterpiece of an album did he place the seed which would produce bands such as Thyrfing, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Atlantean Codex and so many others. It just goes to show - you don't have to be a technical wizard or a six-octave virtuoso to make music to stand the test of time. Sometimes all it takes is one crazy dude with ambition and the will to get shit done. He died too soon.

https://youtu.be/esI8PjCzgCU

Great choice🔥
No complaints with Bathory😎 I was listening to them about as much as Celtic Frost in my early days 🌹

How many Tolkien-named metal bans are there, anyway?

Don't forget that Led Zeppelin was known to use references to JRR Tolkien in their songs as well.
But Gollum, the evil one, crept up and slipped away with her👠👠👠Kant🌹

How many Tolkien-named metal bans are there, anyway?

Quite a lot. Add to that musicians picking names from TLoTR or the Silmarillion as their alias and bands basing their lyrical concept wholly or in part on JRR's work and you can safely assume the good man has powered heavy metal quite a bit.

Let's see. Blind Guardian did "Nightfall in Middle-Earth", there's the band Battlelore with at least their earlier works quoting Tolkien, the Austrians Summoning, again going all in on the Tolkien lyrics.

And here's a list I googled up. The more prominent bands are up top.

1. Amon Amarth
2. Gorgoroth
3. Burzum
4. Cirith Ungol - gonna recommend their "Frost and Fire" album
5. Cirith Gorgor
6. Isengard
7. Minas Morgul- Poland
8. Minas Tirith- Denmark
9. Shadowfax- Ireland
10. Ringwraith- Italy
11. Carach Angren
12. Sammath Naur
13. Amon Hen
14. Mordor
15. Morgul
16. Gandalf
17. Sauron
18. Silmarils
19. Lothlöryen (BRA - Folk)
20. Minhyriath (SUI - Death/Folk)
21. Balrog
22. The Nazgûl
23. Ephel Duath
24. mordagor
25. Arwen
26. Orkrist
27. Dungortheb

Classic metal album of the day: Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (I don't know the Ascii code to put the Umlaut dots over the"y")

A band from Seattle which didn't play grunge. An album which had a long, complex story and didn't turn into a cheesefest almost-musical. (Sorry, Savatage's "Streets - A rock Opera" choked too much in gospel in the end.) An intriguing mix of easily acessible, dare I say poppy, song structures without being one-note. And lets not forget the dizzying heights singer Geoff Tate reached when he went all out. And it held up surprisingly well, music and production both, which can't be said of all 80s albums.

https://youtu.be/vAI2QOBMlTA

And before some angry purist tries to bite my dick off: I love my "Black Metal", my "Forged in Fire", the Bathory records with their basement studio charms or my "British Steel", but I'm objective enough to recognize less-than-optimal mixes as such. Not every record has to be a "Pyromania" or "Hysteria", but I do enjoy a well-produced record too.

But no matter how you spin it - "St. Anger" is, was and forever will be an insult to my ears. Dat drum sound, ye gods. And that monkey playing the drums. Sigh. They were so good once.

Hey Kantarii, I hope you're not mad at me for snatching your recommendation hat.

Last edited:
Classic metal album of the day:

Slayer - Reign in blood👠👠👠Kant🌹

I'm a huge Slayer fan. Fuck Metallica, Megadeth,and Anthrax. Slayer was the pinnacle of Thrash Metal in my eyes. The only one to come close was Megadeth's "Rust in peace", but still, "Reign in blood"predates it by some odd years and Slayer answered it with "Seasons in the abyss" which,well, keeps them tops on my playlist above Megadeth. R.I.P Jeff. Both you and Kerry own Thrash Metal in my eyes.

Classic metal album of the day:

Slayer - Reign in blood👠👠👠Kant🌹

I'm a huge Slayer fan. Fuck Metallica, Megadeth,and Anthrax. Slayer was the pinnacle of Thrash Metal in my eyes. The only one to come close was Megadeth's "Rust in peace", but still, "Reign in blood"predates it by some odd years and Slayer answered it with "Seasons in the abyss" which,well, keeps them tops on my playlist above Megadeth. R.I.P Jeff. Both you and Kerry own Thrash Metal in my eyes.

Heh, I think Kreator, Sodom and Destruction might want to have a word with you there. :) Gotta keep the Euro flag flyin'.

(Pssst, I do love me some Slayer too, but I'm more a "Hell Awaits" guy)

Heh, I think Kreator, Sodom and Destruction might want to have a word with you there. :) Gotta keep the Euro flag flyin'.

(Pssst, I do love me some Slayer too, but I'm more a "Hell Awaits" guy)

I play that album "Hell Awaits" a lot,too😎 As well as "South of Heaven"🌹. My "Euro flag" is mostly centered on Scandanavian Melodic / Death Metal and NWOBHM though with a few exceptions here and there. 👠👠👠Kant

Classic Metal album for me tonight:( a bit softer)
Def Leppard - Hysteria. (I love the feel and mood on the entire album) I started out with "On through the Night" and "Pyromania" with them, but "Hysteria"...that took things to a whole new level for my listening experience😎

Quite a lot. Add to that musicians picking names from TLoTR or the Silmarillion as their alias and bands basing their lyrical concept wholly or in part on JRR's work and you can safely assume the good man has powered heavy metal quite a bit.

Let's see. Blind Guardian did "Nightfall in Middle-Earth", there's the band Battlelore with at least their earlier works quoting Tolkien, the Austrians Summoning, again going all in on the Tolkien lyrics.

And here's a list I googled up. The more prominent bands are up top.

1. Amon Amarth
2. Gorgoroth
3. Burzum
4. Cirith Ungol - gonna recommend their "Frost and Fire" album
5. Cirith Gorgor
6. Isengard
7. Minas Morgul- Poland
8. Minas Tirith- Denmark
9. Shadowfax- Ireland
10. Ringwraith- Italy
11. Carach Angren
12. Sammath Naur
13. Amon Hen
14. Mordor
15. Morgul
16. Gandalf
17. Sauron
18. Silmarils
19. Lothlöryen (BRA - Folk)
20. Minhyriath (SUI - Death/Folk)
21. Balrog
22. The Nazgûl
23. Ephel Duath
24. mordagor
25. Arwen
26. Orkrist
27. Dungortheb

It's not a band name, but I just remembered another metal artist with a Tolkien connection - Christopher Lee.

I play that album "Hell Awaits" a lot,too😎 As well as "South of Heaven"🌹. My "Euro flag" is mostly centered on Scandanavian Melodic / Death Metal and NWOBHM though with a few exceptions here and there. 👠👠👠Kant

Classic Metal album for me tonight:( a bit softer)
Def Leppard - Hysteria. (I love the feel and mood on the entire album) I started out with "On through the Night" and "Pyromania" with them, but "Hysteria"...that took things to a whole new level for my listening experience😎

Of the big three Def Leppard records, I gravitate towards "Pyromania", because the songs don't feel like obvious pop songs played on guitars. That said, "Hysteria" and to a somewhat lesser extent, "Adrenalize", are still fantastic sunshine and feel good records..

Hey, how's your opinion on Judas Priests "Turbo" record?

Of the big three Def Leppard records, I gravitate towards "Pyromania", because the songs don't feel like obvious pop songs played on guitars. That said, "Hysteria" and to a somewhat lesser extent, "Adrenalize", are still fantastic sunshine and feel good records..

Hey, how's your opinion on Judas Priests "Turbo" record?

I love Judas Priest😎They are up there with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for my top British music bands. Rob has such a wonderful Metal voice. Gotta give props where props are due. "Turbo lover" is one of my favorite Judas Priest songs🌹

I love Judas Priest😎They are up there with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for my top British music bands. Rob has such a wonderful Metal voice. Gotta give props where props are due. "Turbo lover" is one of my favorite Judas Priest songs🌹

Cleverly veiled sex metaphors always work with me too. :) When I'm in a hair metal mood, "Turbo" is one of my first picks, along with "Metal Health", "The Last Command" and either "Shout at the Devil" or "Dr. Feelgood".

Cleverly veiled sex metaphors always work with me too. :) When I'm in a hair metal mood, "Turbo" is one of my first picks, along with "Metal Health", "The Last Command" and either "Shout at the Devil" or "Dr. Feelgood".

Well, you invoked the "Devil" with Motley Crue😎
Girls Girls Girls, Shout at the Devil,and Dr. Feelgood are great, solid albums. I started out with "Too Fast", and grew from there. There was just a little something missing that kept the Crüe from crossing over into the Thrash genre in my opinion. However, they could easily fit in with the big 4 and hang with them in their own merits. Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Cinderella, Twisted Sister, Faster Pussycat, Kixx, Europe,Cinderella, Skid Row, Slaughter, Poison, and Bon Jovi are my standouts for Glam Metal
👠👠👠Kant🌹

Digging in my archives tonight for some Classic Metal Bands:

1.Nuclear Assault - Something Wicked
2.Overkill - Years of Decay (fuck this was a bad ass release)😎
3.Metal Church- The Dark
4.Ratt - Out of the cellar

👠👠👠Kant🌹

Back