Changing the narrator from one chapter to the next.

beardedwanker

Really Experienced
Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Posts
111
I've written the first chapter of a story from "his" perspective but wondered, is it iacceptable to do the next chapter from her perspective? Or should it stay the same from chapter to chapter?
 
You can paid the same regardless. Do what you want.

If you change the narrator, make it clear who your narrator is. Perhaps start the story with someone addressing the narrator by name.
 
You can do this, but you should ask yourself why you want to do it. What purpose will it serve in the story? If you have two characters that have very different perspectives and will see the same event in different ways, then it may make sense. But if not, then what's the point?

Third person omniscient is a more conventional POV that allows you to get inside the heads of two or more characters.

You should write the story however you want to, and alternating first-person POVs may work, but it can seem an unnecessary gimmick if you don't make it clear why you are doing it this way.
 
Shabbu's "Misunderstandings" (https://www.literotica.com/s/misunderstandings) is an example of an alternating first-person-POV where this presentation choice is the precise theme of the story--showing how the differences of perception of the same events pull characters apart. A vote for RubeR's position that it's a legitimate presentation style, theme, and POV (and not particularly hard to do).
 
That's an opinion. It is my opinion that it is very well possible, using first person pov, and that no-one has to account for why (s)he is choosing a certain style.

Actually, I'm going to do so myself

It is. And I even wrote he should do what he wishes to do.

But when people start threads asking questions whether they should make some particular artistic choice I think it's more helpful to offer a substantive response than just to say "do what you like."

I have read stories here with alternating POVs that work, but I've also read stories with alternating POVs that didn't seem to serve any purpose, resulting in needless redundancy and a longer story. Giving a little thought to why an artistic choice is being made is generally a good thing, IMO. The OP seemed to be asking for input.
 
Hell, I've not done that changes in POV and(I haven't the faintest idea what I was trying to say here?) I have changed the POV. If I change the POV I do tell the reader who is now the narrator.

Check out my story, Justice for Julie - Again.
 
Last edited:
I mark sections of my stories with:

~~Character's Name~~

to describe that the next section is from this character's POV.

IMO don't do it too often though. POV switching is hard on the reader's brain, and rips them out of the flow if you do it constantly.
 
Who is supposed to write the story? Every style has its merits. I have seen plenty of examples where it works perfectly. To answer the question: it is acceptable

Agree. I'm going to pinch someone else's words about changing pov (a comment to one of my Floating World stories), because it was said so very well:

I've always been partial to first person narration for conveying the intimate details of a character's inner life. But this story wonderfully shows how third person narration can be used to convey the inner activity of two characters, even during the intricate steps of their dance. We see the evening not as we would see it in real life---where we know our own feelings but can only guess at our partner's---but privy to both sides, able to see the uncertainty and hopefulness and playfulness and arousal on both sides as flirtation turns to courtship and courtship turns to foreplay. It's two intimate stories, really, interwoven at every scene. A tour-de-force of patient, loving, doubly imagined detail.


And...

...shameless self promotion, here's the story:

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-floating-world-1
 
Thanks all for your input. It seems I have sparked a bit of a discussion with this.

My thoughts are that having written chapter 1 from his perspective, my ideas on chapter 2 seem to only be coming from hers at the moment. I haven't started writing it yet, just thoughts and images running through my head. If i go down this road, I will of course indicate to the reader that the pov has changed.
 
You can paid the same regardless. Do what you want.

If you change the narrator, make it clear who your narrator is. Perhaps start the story with someone addressing the narrator by name.

Your latest story by the way is one of my favourites at the moment. It has been since it went online.
 
I've written the first chapter of a story from "his" perspective but wondered, is it iacceptable to do the next chapter from her perspective? Or should it stay the same from chapter to chapter?

Thousands of authors -- both online amateurs and paid professional novelists -- have used the technique in both first and third person. (there may even be a few examples of second person out there.)

Like any other stylistic choice, it works well when done well, but it can be a total goat-rope when done wrong or for the wrong reasons.

(almost) Any stylistic choice is acceptable; you're the author, and you get to choose how to tell your story the way you want. Ask yourself if splitting the POV is going to make the story better or worse; is it going to tell the story you want to tell?
 
I recall a Lit story back from my lurker days (pre-2013) that had this construct. I can’t remember the title, but it had a young woman and man teaching and/or playing piano. It was the first time I had seen that technique used. I didn’t like having to go over the same activities twice, but the sexual content helped ease the way. It was an intriguing way to tell the story.

This narrative technique was used to great effect in the Showtime series ’The Affair’ in 2015. You see the events shown from the perspective of the male main character (Noah Solloway, the adulterer), then the 2nd half of the episode shows the same content but from the perspective of the ‘seductress’ (Alison Bailey). Fans of the show had a field day deconstructing each segment, highlighting the differences: wardrobe, attitudes, and other details. In the second season they expanded the perspectives to include the other two characters that were cheated on, but you still got only 2 of the 4.

My take on this is that a visual medium is much better suited to this technique than the written word. Not saying you shouldn’t try it, but I agree that 3rd person omniscient is the easier way to go.

PS: Even though I’m a big fan of ‘The Affair,” I cannot in good conscience recommend the third season to a newbie or even someone who watched the first two – it was a hot mess.
 
it was a hot mess.
Considering we're on an erotica forum, that might actually inspire people to go watch it :D

As for the narrator change, a friend of mine expressed his criticism for me doing that. I tend to have write stories which do not feature a strong single protagonist, but a group of people living their lives.
While one might (obviously) feel the protagonist of the story, I tend to want to write what those other people do and think as well. I recognize that simply does not always work well, but it's a learning process for me.
 
I've written the first chapter of a story from "his" perspective but wondered, is it iacceptable to do the next chapter from her perspective? Or should it stay the same from chapter to chapter?

I just published a story where the POV changes a few times from the male to the female perspective. I got no negative reaction about it. But, after lengthy discussions with one of my editors I made sure that there only was a minimum of repetition because reading the same dialogue twice is boring so I just tried to give her view of the proceedings.
 
Some classic novels are composed of multiple news and police reports, exchanges of letters and telegrams, testimonies, a multitude of POVs assembled into a story. Each POV is clearly identified; no confusion results. Bram Stoker used that model. The Roshomon Effect, telling the story from distinct viewpoints, is certainly classic. Go for it.
 
Some classic novels are composed of multiple news and police reports, exchanges of letters and telegrams, testimonies, a multitude of POVs assembled into a story. Each POV is clearly identified; no confusion results. Bram Stoker used that model. The Roshomon Effect, telling the story from distinct viewpoints, is certainly classic. Go for it.
I remember Stephen King using that method with Carrie as well. He told her story, but also told the story through newspaper articles, interviews and all besides that.
 
Back
Top