Soundtracks Of Our Lives

Quick note: Thank you to all who are engaging with and enjoying this thread!

I like this thread. I hope it doesn't slip into the "page 6 and beyond" abyss.

Don't worry, I'll keep dragging back. I have a lot more to post on here yet, even if I end up playing on my own! :D

Reposting challenge 3 for new page.

Mousse T - I'm Horny

This song was on the first Now Music CD I bought. It stuck in my mind because everyone at junior school used to sing it, even when we didn't even know what the lyrics meant! We even sang it on the coach coming home from a school trip and didn't understand why the teachers yelled at us to shut up.

Last edited:
Challenge 1. A song from your childhood.

This song reminds me of my mom and dad, it was playing in the car while driving to my brother's house in Virginia.

They were separated, but now I know better.

They were hooking up. :D

https://youtu.be/4XB7VSDNFg8

Challenge 3 for the weekend: A song from the very first COMPILATION album you bought.

The first compilation I owned was K-Tel's Wings of Sound.

My older sister gave it to me because she didn't want it anymore. I was about 8 years old and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

The song on the album that I like loved the most was Rock With You by Michael Jackson.

Still my absolute favorite MJ song - it is my jam.

Nice thread Tal! :)

Challenge 1. A song from your childhood.

I had one of those record players as a kid. The ones with the lid and the speaker built in. 2 45's I remember playing all the time were Puff The Magic Dragon by Peter Paul and Mary and Snoopy Vs. the Red Baron, I think that band was the Buckinghams :D The first 45 I remember buying on my own was Venus by the Shocking Blue.

Challenge 2: a song that reminds you of your first love

Fleetwood Mac Rumors was huge senior year of HS. My GF was into that. I'll say Gold Dust Woman or Landslide

Challenge 3 for the weekend: A song from the very first COMPILATION album you bought.

I'll say it was an album of bands covering Grateful Dead songs. One standout from that album was Ripple, covered by Jane's Addiction . .

thank you!

Challenge 2... first love..I had to think about this one. And I can't come up with anything that's serious.. so, not gonna post.

Challenge 3... we didn't buy compilations. We made them. One of my prized possessions was a dual cassette boom box my Dad got me so I could record from the radio and other cassettes.

I don't remember what I put on my first one, but it probably had a completely motley mix mash of Randy Travis, The Judds, Poison, and Aerosmith.

Challenge 1

Spirit in the Sky - Doctor and the Medics

Reminds me of summer holidays on the Isle of Wight as a child. Good times.

Challenge 2

Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite - R.E.M.[/I]

The Automatic For The People album was never far from my Walkman whilst I dated my first love. Could have picked any of the songs but this one iconic. Made out to most of the album though ;)

Challenge 3

Last Train to Transcentral - KLF

On a Now Album. The cassette got so worn out!

Oh my goodness! That's amazing!

thank you, Darling.

I figured out what never fails to remind me of my first love.... so,

Challenge 2... Lol...

I met this fella up in the mountains. I reckon I was 14? I sang in the church up there for my grand parents, and he fell slap in love. He was the sweetest thing, but he was 20, and looking to get hitched. He came up to the cottage to "come calling", and I swear, as simple as he was, he was the most respectful, afraid to hold hands because "i'twernt " proper, mountain man.

And when I went back to my parents, he wrote letters down to me, and I'm ashamed to say I laughed at his poor grammar and spelling.
"You shore are purty, Miss "fill in my name". When I herd you sang It was like listening to an angel. I thank I am in love with you. I'm willing to wait."

I remember him very fondly, though, even if I had to shut him down....(and yes, i did so gently!!)

There was no way on God's earth that my father would have allowed it. His baby was heading to college in a few years, and no way was she going steady with the hillbilly.

But, I guarantee that Hillbilly was a good, hard-working man, and would have likely died before upsetting me or disrespecting my father.

Do they make them like that anymore.

ETA...there was absolutely no hanky panky that went on between me and this fella, so this post should not violate any underage restrictions....

Last edited:
I really can't remember buying a various artists compilation album. It was probably a Christmas Album I'm sure. My favorite "box set" which is probably is a different category all together was Crossroads by Eric Clapton. I actually purchases it as a Christmas gift for my dad. It was the first time I was able to purchase something for him with my own hard earned money. My favorite Eric Clapton song ever is Crossroads and of course it was on one of the CDs in the set.

Hope that's not too far of a stretch for challenge 3

Challenge 1. Doubtful that anyone here would have ever heard it, but we used to sing it at camp, retreats, church lock-ins, etc. https://vocaroo.com/i/s0IqNKYJQZZU

Holy Hell, woman...dayum...you have a gorgeous voice! :heart: :rose:

thank you, Darling.

I figured out what never fails to remind me of my first love.... so,

Challenge 2... Lol...

I met this fella up in the mountains. I reckon I was 14? I sang in the church up there for my grand parents, and he fell slap in love. He was the sweetest thing, but he was 20, and looking to get hitched. He came up to the cottage to "come calling", and I swear, as simple as he was, he was the most respectful, afraid to hold hands because "i'twernt " proper, mountain man.

And when I went back to my parents, he wrote letters down to me, and I'm ashamed to say I laughed at his poor grammar and spelling.
"You shore are purty, Miss "fill in my name". When I herd you sang It was like listening to an angel. I thank I am in love with you. I'm willing to wait."

I remember him very fondly, though, even if I had to shut him down....(and yes, i did so gently!!)

There was no way on God's earth that my father would have allowed it. His baby was heading to college in a few years, and no way was she going steady with the hillbilly.

But, I guarantee that Hillbilly was a good, hard-working man, and would have likely died before upsetting me or disrespecting my father.

Do they make them like that anymore.

ETA...there was absolutely no hanky panky that went on between me and this fella, so this post should not violate any underage restrictions....

He fell in love with your voice....yup...I just did too. :rose:

So this was tough. I wracked my brain and I really don't remember buying a compilation album until around 2001 ish...we bought "Kids Bop" for my then 6 year old daughter. I had to do some serious googling just now to find it and I think the track that I'll pick was "All Star" (smashmouth). But the singers were kids.

All Star - Kids Bop in the style of smashmouth

So this was tough. I wracked my brain and I really don't remember buying a compilation album until around 2001 ish...we bought "Kids Bop" for my then 6 year old daughter. I had to do some serious googling just now to find it and I think the track that I'll pick was "All Star" (smashmouth). But the singers were kids.

OK, actually...edit...this track got a lot of play in the house....

Steal My Sunshine ~ Kids Bop

*SPOILER ALERTS!*

Challenge 1. Doubtful that anyone here would have ever heard it, but we used to sing it at camp, retreats, church lock-ins, etc. https://vocaroo.com/i/s0IqNKYJQZZU

You'd better post again when the challenge for performing a song pops up... :D

I really can't remember buying a various artists compilation album. It was probably a Christmas Album I'm sure. My favorite "box set" which is probably is a different category all together was Crossroads by Eric Clapton. I actually purchases it as a Christmas gift for my dad. It was the first time I was able to purchase something for him with my own hard earned money. My favorite Eric Clapton song ever is Crossroads and of course it was on one of the CDs in the set.

Hope that's not too far of a stretch for challenge 3

Tsk tsk, now what are you going to post when the challenge for favourite individual artist album pops up??? :p

Ha! This is great! Well done for sticking to the rules - no matter how cheesy, or silly it is! It doesn't matter how long/short time ago it was etc. You met the challenge. Gold star for you :D

Ok, challenge 4 coming...

Challenge 4: A song that reminds you of your best friend.

don't forget: linky linky, writey writey! :D

Challenge 4: A song that reminds you of your best friend.

An easy one! For her 30th birthday, one of my best friends threw a party and being the Karaoke queen she is, we (her less vocally stellar friends) sat her down and gave her a performance in front of many people at the big party she’d thrown. We sang ‘With a little help from my friends’ by Wet Wet Wet (yes, I know it was originally The Beatles, but we were 3W gals!).

Back