Trump? Least of our Worries!

JackLuis

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Posts
21,855
Release of Arctic Methane "May Be Apocalyptic," Study Warns

The study, titled "Methane Hydrate: Killer Cause of Earth's Greatest Mass Extinction," highlights the fact that the most significant variable in the Permian Mass Extinction event, which occurred 250 million years ago and annihilated 90 percent of all the species on the planet, was methane hydrate.

In the wake of that mass extinction event, less than 5 percent of the animal species in the seas lived, and less than one-third of the large land animal species made it. Nearly all the trees died.

Methane hydrate, according to the US Office of Fossil Energy, "is a cage-like lattice of ice inside of which are trapped molecules of methane, the chief constituent of natural gas."

While there is not a scientific consensus around the cause of the Permian Mass Extinction, it is widely believed that massive volcanism along the Siberian Traps in Russia led to tremendous amounts of CO2 being added to the atmosphere. This then created enough warming to cause the sudden release of methane from the Arctic sea floor, which kicked off a runaway greenhouse effect that led to sea-level increase, de-oxygenation, major oceanic circulation shifts and increased acidification of the oceans, as well as worldwide aridity on land.

It was estimate that a 50 Gigaton release of Methane was possible in just a few months, fucking the planet's climate biggly! So leave Trump to his fantasies and let's do something about Methane Hydrates!

Oh, what's that? It's too late! OMFG!
 
Lest you poo poo the study consider:

A study published in the prestigious journal Nature in July 2013 confirmed what Shakhova had been warning us about for years: A 50-gigaton "burp" of methane from thawing Arctic permafrost beneath the East Siberian sea is highly possible.

Such a "burp" would be the equivalent of at least 1,000 gigatons of carbon dioxide. (For perspective, humans have released approximately 1,475 gigatons in total carbon dioxide since the year 1850.)

The UK's Met Office considers the 50-gigaton release "plausible," and in a paper on the subject added, "That may cause ∼12-times increase of modern atmospheric methane burden, with consequent catastrophic greenhouse warming."

:eek:Are you scared yet?:eek:
 
If insignificant Man can't cause global climate changes, then this burp won't do a thing.
 
The powers that be are waiting for the next human population bottleneck. Then they can direct human evolution through the next cycle. You have to think long term. :)
 
The powers that be are waiting for the next human population bottleneck. Then they can direct human evolution through the next cycle. You have to think long term. :)
Oh yeah, God tried that once before. It didn't take.
 
Back
Top