Revenge of the Big Five

NyxAvatar68

Really Experienced
Joined
Feb 12, 2019
Posts
102
'It's hard to believe it's only been six months since this world was remade. Nobody remembers the crisis that nearly destroyed everything...except me. Even so, the problems of the old world have seeped into this one. Until things can be peaceful again, I'll have to fight. You'll have to do your part too, or else...this world might become a ruined mess again.'

"This sucks. Why the hell did I even have to come to this stupid party, anyway? I'm supposed to be healing from last week's demon slaying job." Crystal mumbled to herself, leaning against a balcony while listening to the sounds of men and women talking and enjoying a party for adventurers and mercenaries that had been set up by one of her usual clients. She was wearing a long, dark green dress that hid the bandages on her legs and thighs that she still had due to her last mission where she had to kill a group of demons. Instead of heels, she was wearing her usual black boots, and the one thing that made her stand out was the fact she had a sword strapped to her hip. Security wanted to take it from her, but due to a special request from her client, she was allowed to bring it with her. She didn't feel safe without a weapon close by.

A light wind blew through Crystal's short, light brown hair as she looked out at the distance. Letting out a sigh, she turned around and headed back inside the building where the party was being held. Men and women of various ages were gathered in a large ballroom. Some were talking among themselves about their glories while others were indulging themselves on the food and drinks available at the various tables scattered about the room. Even though she was only 18, due to being reborn in the new world with the memories and experiences of the previous world, Crystal had managed to gain a reputation for herself despite her age.

'I bet that idiot is off drinking the night away in his office. I just want my pay so I can go home. I have a train to catch tomorrow.' Crystal thought, making her way past people and out of the ballroom.

Crystal made her way up to the third floor of the building and down a long hallway to where she was sure her client's office was. When she saw the light on, she kicked the door open to find a short, bearded man sitting at a desk, drinking a bottle of beer. He slowly looked up and flashed a smile when he saw Crystal in her dress.

"You really clean up nicely." the man said, leaning back in his chair when he felt an icy glare from Crystal's green eyes while she crossed her bandage covered arms over her chest.

"Shut up, you idiot. I came here for my check. You were supposed to give it to me after I went and killed the demons causing havoc in that town. Why did you tell me to come to this stupid party, anyway?" Crystal replied, the only response she got was the man waving his hand while he opened up one of his desk drawers.

"You need to live a little, you know. You're still young, you haven't had a boyfriend-"

"I don't have any interest in something stupid like that!" Crystal shouted back before he could finish talking. The man froze up for a moment and let out a sigh.

"I'm just saying, Crystal. You can't live your whole life fighting alone. At the very least, you could try to genuinely smile for once. Sometimes, I feel like you want to cut my head off." the man said even though he was staring right at Crystal's chest, which led her to unsheath her sword and point it at him. The man pulled an envelope out of his desk and put his hands up.

"Ok, hold on a second there! No need to get violent. Here! I got your check right here." the man said, slowly setting the envelope down on the table. Crystal slowly made her way forward, keeping her sword aimed at the man while she reached out and grabbed the envelope.

"See? That wasn't so hard. Maybe this will finally teach you to stop being a pervert. If you had just given this to me sooner, I could've been on a train to Glasford already." Crystal said while she sheathed her sword and slowly turned around, only to be stopped by her client's words.

"You mean that Glasford? The one from the rumors?" he asked. Crystal turned back around, wondering what it was he meant.

"Haven't you heard? That town doesn't take kindly to magic users. Anyone caught using magic in that town are thrown into some tower where they can never escape and they'll be stuck there until they die. It's not a good idea to go there. Why are you going there, anyway?" the man explained.

"My uncle lives there. He wants me to visit him." Crystal replied.

"I wouldn't, if I were you." the man said. There was a moment of silence before Crystal turned back around and made her way towards the door.

"Call me in a few weeks if you have more work for me. I'm going home." Crystal simply said, walking out of the room without another word. While she considered her client's words about Glasford's rumors, there wasn't enough to go on for her to believe it. For the time being, she decided to just forget about it.



Morning came far too soon, and with little time to prepare, Crystal found herself half awake and waiting at the train station. From what she read in her uncle's letter, Glasford would be much faster to reach by train, leading to Crystal waiting along with several other people for the train to arrive. As she waited, part of her was glad that she chose to wear light grey sweatpants to hide the bandages that covered her still recovering injuries. She wore a t-shirt of some rock band that was apparently popular, but due to being busy with work, Crystal had little time to learn what was popular these days.

Thoughts of her client's words about Glasford ran through her mind once again, making her wonder what would compel the people there to trap magic users in some tower like criminals or how they even managed to construct such a thing.

'Magic, huh?' Crystal thought, looking down at her own hands. While she had been forced to learn magic by her previous companion, she almost completely refused to use it due to the negative effects it had on her. She looked back up, taking a breath while making sure her sword was close at hand just in case.
 
Back
Top