The Exhibit: Love, Bondage and Control

Riley understood Corbin's attachment to his office. She still had her wishbook and she still had twenty dollars tucked inside the lining of her wallet in case of an emergency. She couldn't forsee an event when she might ever be that broke, but it made her feel better to know it was there. Her father had kept cash hidden in the deep freeze, five and ten dollar bills that her mother didn't know about. Her dad used to slip her cold bills for her to hide against her skin, under her clothes to pay for things like school field trips and girl scout dues.

Riley settled on the couch and tucked her foot underneath her. "My paper is on Gardner's multiple intelligences. I have to write a case study on myself and list my areas of personal strengths and weaknesses. I also have to create a plan for recognizing different intelligences in my future students. After this paper is done, I have to put together my application for student teaching. I have to pass a criminal background check, and then the administration and the human resources departments have to approve my application. It is mostly a formality."

Riley looked about the office. "It is funny that you say I am destined for this world. Because I don't feel home in either world. In James's world I feel as if at any moment I am going to be discovered for a poor, milltown girl. And at home, I always felt as if I had been stolen at birth and put with the wrong family. My older sister is having another baby, with yet another loser. I send them money, but it will never be enough. My middle sister, she has two kids and she and her husband work opposite shifts at the papermill. " Riley looked up with a start. "I am not sure why I am telling you all of this. You are good to listen to me yammer on."

One of the office staff brought in lunch and Riley chatted with him about her classes. She was minoring in history. She felt like it was a good background to have going into education. She praised the meal and thanked him for lunch. It really was a lighthearted time.
 
Last edited:
After the lunch was done, and the conversation lagged for a brief moment or two, Corbin got thoughtful and said, "you spoke of your family, well mine ain't any better. Three of my brothers and one brother-in-law worked in the coal mines, till they closed. Two are drunks, one got smart and started driving truck. I have two sisters both were grand mothers before they were forty, one of my brothers isn't doing bad he works for the C & O, or I guess it is CSX, now railway that is, always thought I would like that if I didn't do well at university, run a big ole train."

He shook his head and laughed softly, "the other three brothers are okay I guess, one was stunted in his growth and became a jockey, works for some big horse breeder near Louisville, the other two got real smart and opend a dounut franchise in Danville, and now all the unemployed types drink coffee eat donuts and bitch in their establishment, but my two brothers they just get better off each year, off the others misery."

"Now there I am boring you with my family so I guess we are even, but you are so kind to listen. You know I cannot think of anyone I know now, or have known as short a period as you Riley, who I felt comfortable opening up to like that. Thanks for that."

Then as Riley looked down and blushed a bit he added, "and as to your feeling out of place in both worlds, don't worry it will pass, at least you have James to sort of shield you from the worst of it. I had to work it out on my own, imagine coming from Danville Kentucky, and finding yourself among a bunch of crazy people like artists interior desgners and such, it was a hell of an adjustment."

"So what about Wednesday, you up for Edwina?"
 
Riley smiled at Corbin. She too felt as if she could open up to him. She impulsively replied. "Yes, i would love to go. But I have to finish this paper.I have so enjoyed your company and the lunch. I should head out and get this done. Since James has graduated it has been harder to get my work done. I have to stay on the dean's list to keep my scholarship." She got up and gathered her bag.

"Should I meet you here?" Corbin assured her that would be just fine. She headed to the library to collect the books she needed and to make a few notes. Her mind was still spinning from her visit with Corbin. It really was nice to have someone to talk to her family about. She worked out the outline for her paper and then decided to head home. She was rather stunned when she walked out of the library. It was dark. It was far later than she had anticipated. She knew that James would be looking for her and she decided to take a cab home.

She watched the city wash past her window. One scene after another melting away. She loved the watching the people and wondering what they might have come from.

She was excited about going with Corbin to see Edwina and now she had an extra little push to get her assignment done and that was also a good thing. She knew she should tell James, but she decided to wait to gauge his mood. She was very late and the cell phone he had gotten her was sitting plugged in on her dresser.
 
James Davenport

James had slept late that morning. He hadn't felt tired, but he was used to his body taking several days to fully regenerate itself after one of his creative binges. He woke up closer to noon than he would have liked, stretching and feeling the disorientation that only oversleeping could provide. He looked for Riley for a few seconds, wondering why she had got out of bed so early, before remembering that it was a weekday and that she would be at school all day.

James allowed himself a disappointed pout. He had always been rather solitary earlier, even with his prior romances, and had wondered how he would react to having Riley around constantly. They moved in with each other even before the engagement, and James laughed at himself for even having had worried. They had of course meshed naturally, being two sides of the same coin, and now that he was graduated and she now had to head even further and work harder at school, James found it difficult to be away from her for so long, especially after the period she had been his muse. He felt a small flush. This must be what she felt like when he was working.

After a leisurely breakfast and a relaxing shower, James finally called the number on the card Max Feldman had given him. James did not fancy himself a coward by any stretch, but even he had to pause for a few seconds to work over some tension in his stomach, before picking up the phone and dialing. His concern of course turned out to be unwarranted; Feldman had sounded genuinely eager to hear from James, ecstatic to hear he was considering using the venue. Before James could go any further, Feldman insisted they discuss it in person. New York was not as far as the dark side of the Moon, but it was a bit of a hike; Feldman arranged a private helicopter to pick up James on Wednesday, insisting that he stay the night at a posh hotel he knew to ensure he could get the full experience of SoHo that only came out in night. James could not think of a single reason to say no, and after learning that she was the woman in the portraits, and would likely be for the ones he would be fronting, Feldman was only too happy to extend the invitation to Mrs. Davenport as well.

James was beaming when he hung up, a daze of happiness surrounding him. He had to sit down, feeling dizzy, and even though he was not a heavy drinker and it still being relatively early, even helped himself to some champagne. He knew Riley was busy, but maybe it would still be an inter-class break. He knew she wouldn't begrudge the interruption, not for news of this magnitude. Picking up his phone again, he dialled her number, only to be rewarded by the sound of ringtone floating down the stairs. James just had to grin at this. With news like that, anything was wonderful.

James occupied himself by packing his overnight bag, not able to contain himself for the wait and needing something to do. That done, and still no sign of Riley, he headed outside for a jog around the block, which grew into something rather longer. Panting and sweaty, James returned home to find that Riley still wasn't there. He felt another stab of guilt. Probably working late again, his Riley. He was sorry she had to go somewhere else; he didn't want to disrupt her, he just couldn't help himself. She was his wife, after all. And he did respect her work ethic.

Would she even be able to take two Wednesday and Thursday to spend in SoHo? James wondered suddenly for the first time. What was her school schedule like? Busy, probably, but she was a hard worker and a good student, and this was the sort of situation that didn't often occur. He was sure she wouldn't have trouble taking two days off for.

But when after a shower, a period of waiting, a quick dinner, and another period of pacing, Riley still hadn't shown up, James was beginning to grow rather concerned. While she finally came through the door, James practically pounced on her, taking her in his arms.

"There you are!" he said, relieved. "I knew you were probably at the library, but you know that my brain knowing doesn't stop my stomach from worrying. You really should keep that cellphone with you, Riley. It's what it's there for, after all."

And then, with a giant smile on his face, he asked, "Guess who I called today and scheduled a meeting with?"
 
Riley had raced up the walk to the house and felt a little surge of nervousness when she let herself in. In a flash James had pulled her into his arms. She smiled as he reminded her to carry her cell phone.

"I am sorry, darling. I was all caught up in my paper." THe lie stung just a little but she didn't add her visit to Corbin to her tale. She could feel the frenetic excitement in James's body. It had to be big news.

His face lit up as he told her that Max Feldman was flying them to New York for a meeting. He nestled her to his chest. "He wanted to meet my muse as well." Riley really was delighted for him. She covered his neck and chest with tiny, baby kisses. She was so excited, until he told her the days of the meetings. She felt her stomach lurch just a little.

"There is no way I can go. I have a paper due on Thursday and mid- terms to study for." She whispered. She knew that she couldn't do it. Even if she was managing a few hours to see Corbin's presentation to Edwina, she still had to be fresh for class Thursday. If she went with James it would be wining and dining and hotel sex. There wouldn't be any time for studying and the writing of papers.

She could see it almost instantaneously. James's face changed. His disappointment was palpable.

"Darling, I am sorry. If it was the weekend or at break, I would love to school. I am so close to student teaching... I started my application." Her voice was a tender whisper, pleading with him not to be overly disappointed in her.
 
James Davenport

James was positively beaming as Riley told him how excited she was. Not just told, practically exuded happiness. He could tell; James could read her as well as he could tell his own feelings. He was in the middle of deciding whether they'd visit the Met proper or the Cloisters first, or perhaps see if they could still skate at Rockefeller Center, when Riley voiced her problem.

James tried to make it so his face did not fall; instead, his smile merely went from being genuinely happy to being strained, fake. If he could sense Riley's feelings beyond what she tried to show, she could do it even better in return. But he tried to maintain a brave face nontheless.

"Ah," James said, shuffling his feet. "No, you're right, of course. I don't know what I was thinking. Two weekdays right before midterms, right when you're getting your career started...I'm sorry. That...I don't know what I was thinking. I'm glad to hear you started your application." He smiled again, a bit sadly and still disappointed, but hugged her, before letting go a few moments later, telling her he had some business to finish up and that dinner was in te fridge.

James went outside, staring up at the sky through the tree canopy, mixed emotions going through his head. On his practical level he had known she wouldn't have been able to go with him; but on the higher, more 'personal' level...James had gotten used to having his Riley at his side, sharing his triumphs, boosting his own excitement with her own. He had almost forgotten she had a life, too. James flipped open his cellphone, calling Feldman's office back; getting a machine, he left a message saying that, due to circumstanced beyond control, Mrs. Davenport would be unable to attend, but that he was still very eager and hoped the disruption would not prove too much.

Heading back inside, James found Riley finishing up, and wrapped his arms around her again. "I'm sorry for seeming so selfish, Riley," he said. "I just knew you would be so excited. I let my own happiness override my realism. There'll be plenty of times for us to go to New York in the future, do a proper visit, especially if this pans out. And even if it doesn't, I promise we'll go there soon."

James kissed her cheek. "I really am proud of you, Riley. You work so hard, so dedicated. I don't mean to diminish your schoolwork, and I know your application will probably get the quickest approval ever."
 
Riley leant back against him as he held her close. Her heart was pounding, she was torn. She wanted to please him and yet, she needed to get this school work done. And deep down she was afraid of his next exhibit. Some of his photos of her in the past were provocative, but she had always had her clothes, or a sheet wrapped around her. She knew that James had an image in his mind of this next exhibit and there would be no persuading him.

"I wish I had gotten more done on my paper today." Riley whispered feeling so guilty that her stomach actually hurt. "If I got to work on it tonight and worked some in the morning maybe I could finish it." She offered in a desperate plea. She hated feeling as if she was letting down her love.

James reassured her that it would be fine. He made small talk about meetings and gallery walks and sketches and pitches. Riley nodded and smiled her own fake smile. She put away the last of the dishes and then went into her nighttime routine. She packed herself a lunch and put coffee for James in the coffee pot with the timer. She laid out her clothes and gathered her school things on the table. She made it a point to get her cell phone and put it with her bag.

Riley went upstairs and slipped into one of James's favorite nightgowns. It was a dark red satin gown. It was long, with a slit up the side. The silky fabric just brushed against her skin. The thin straps crossed her bare back. She came back downstairs brushing out her long dark hair. "Darling, when are you going to tell me about your concept for the next show."
 
James Davenport

James smiled and held Riley tighter as she started to make excuses and explanations about her work. He made a 'shushing' sound. She was so precious, his Riley, always trying to please. Very loyal. Like a puppy, in many ways, how she would put her loyalty to him above herself. James valued that, but part of his appreciation was not misusing it.

"Riley, honey, I'm not angry. It won't be the end of the world. I'll leave Wednesday afternoon and be back Thursday evening. Twenty-four hours and change. I'll have my cellphone, so we won't even be incommunicado. I promise you we'll both survive." Now it was James who was being the hypocrite; he was certainly disappointed, and not looking forward to leaving his wife even for that short of a time; but even he knew it would not be anything major. "And the last thing I want is for you to rush through your assignments and do a bad job just so you can go. You'll feel horrible for it, and I'll feel guilty. Look on the bright side, I won't even be here to distract you," he added with a laugh, before moving onto different topics deliberately, not wanting to keep her dwelling.

A short while later Riley went upstairs to prepare for bed, as James puttered around the kitchen, feeling the need to burn off some remaining energy. He turned when he heard Riley coming down the stairs in her beautiful nightgown, not being able to repress his grin. She looked resplendent, and even if she had chosen it just to make him happy...well, who was he to complain?

"Honestly, I'm still working on much of the details," James admitted. "Max and I will probably come up with more of the specifics." He was already thrilled at being on a first-name basis with the man. "I told you I wanted to do nudes...something provocative, yet suitably subtle to be tasteful. Perhaps...hmm. Perhaps just the hint of restraint. Something to entice the viewer. If that would be all right with you?" James added, almost as an afterthought, as if remembering that he was thinking of his wife and not just the Muse archetype she took in his head, and that Riley should have a say.
 
Riley nodded. "I thought you might want to get your camera out... just maybe to get your creative juices flowing before your trip." Riley was quavering on the inside, but she wanted to do something to help him prepare for his trip and to make him feel her devotion to his work.

Riley leaned against the doorframe of the living room. The satin clung to just the right places on her. Her nipples were visible through the satin in the night air. "Nothing you would have to show, but it might be a jumping place."

Riley watched a slow, hungry smile spread across James's face. It would only take him a minute to get out his Nikon and get it loaded with the right film.

"I am all yours tonight. I want to be fresh in your mind when you leave. I want your senses to be flooded with me before you are off with all of those sophisticated women in the city." She whispered playfully. She offered herself up to him, not just to his desires sexually, but to his art.
 
James Davenport

James felt a slow grin spread across his face, cheek to cheek, as Riley leaned back against the doorframe, offering her 'services' for the night. James felt pride swell within him, alongside love and a rather more tangible aspect of his being. He leaned in to kiss his wife.

"Oh, Riley, how could I ever be less than constantly infatuated with you? I'm sure all the city women will be nice, but I'm also sure they'll be like Edwina compared to you."

James went to go get his 'play' camera, quickly loading it with film - this would not be anything spectacular, just a few 'concept' shots for his own pleasure...and Riley's, of course. At least hopefully. That done, he took her hand in his, leading him upstairs to the bedroom, an area much better suited to the types of ideas he had. At least, for now.

Once there, James' work took over. Riley was beautiful, but he was seeing her through the lense; even just as 'unprofessional' pics, he saw her as a subject, not a lover. She had gone from Wife to Muse, and any longing he felt for her, James expressed through the lense.

His first positioning of her was with the straps of the gown just sliding off her shoulders, as if hinting what was about to come, a mere proxy of restraint encircling each arm, as he tilted Riley's face just right, having her stair longingly out through the window into the moonight, as if she wished she could leave but knew she could not, the victim of her passions. An enchanted princess from a rather darker fairy tale, abducted on her wedding night by the evil rival of her prince charming and held within the highest loft of his redoubt, far from rescue.

Next, she was reclining on the bed, the nightdress pulled down just far enough that her nipples appeared to be the only things holding it up. Riley's arms were 'pinned' behind her by the bunched-up nightdress, her arms strategically tucked in even to make the illusion work. There was no doubt that Riley could escape the 'bondage' with ease; yet the fact that it was there at all, that she consented to keeping herself within the weak ties, hinting at a bondage more powerful than steel cuffs. He had Riley take a look of sultry haughtiness. In his mind, the princess knew she could not escape the room; even if she could easily undo the evil prince's restraint of her arms, there would be no point, and so she played along, perhaps not even knowing what inner desires compelled her to.

The next photograph, James did away with the nightdress altogether, slowly sliding it off Riley's equally-luxuriant skin. With the 'restraint' gone, he needed a prop, especially for what he had in mind. In his tie drawer, he had several monogrammed silk scarves, a gift from his mother for a long-ago birthday. He had never been a big fan of scarves, but after he and Riley had began sleeping together, their lovemaking had occasionally found use for them, a use identical to the one he now had planned.

James arranged Riley to kneel at the foot of the bed. The fact she was now kneeling spoke as much of her submission as her nudity or the fact that he gently tied her wrists together. Unlike most traditional restraints, he tied them in front of her instead of back, and with her hands side by side, instead of together, as if they were making a bowl shape instead of praying. James had her hold them out, as if offering her bondage to the camera; Riley's head was positioned so she was looking up at the lense through her eyelashes, her eyes luminous and wide, both innocent and hungry. In his mental story, Riley imagined the princess now reconciled to her fate, perhaps now realizing why she had not struggled earlier during the prince's abduction of her, why she had allowed him such great liberties, why he was making her feel more in this one evening than her fiancee had in all their years of courtship.

The final photograph required something altogether more. Putting the camera aside again, James pulled Riley into his arms, his mouth seeking hers, kissing her strongly, love and hunger and a desire for her mixing with something different, something even their animalistic coupling in the kitchen the other day had only hinted at: an assurance, soft but absolute, that James was in control, that Riley was his captive. He was the dark prince of his dream-story, and she was the captured princess, the great woman of the land whom he had pined over for years, the only one able to see that behind her good deeds and golden heart lied a yearning that her prince charming could not sate. A fire that he would guard and stoke and carefully tend to this night, before finally slating her thirst.

James' hands and mouth wandered, through her hair and breasts and belly and ass, legs and arms and finally her warm, desperate sex, his mouth and fingers teasing and tickling and nibbling just to the point of orgasm, an orgasm he denied with a slightly imperious smile as he pulled away, licking her from his lips. "You must have thought we were done, Riley? Oh, no. I'm afraid I have one picture left to take." He kissed her again, a tender kiss that spoke of his love, as he reached below and between her, his mouth leaving hers just as his fingers rose, spreading her honey across her already pouting red lips.

Riley was on the bed again, near one of the posts. Her arms were tied with his scarves around it, as if she were grasping a leg. Her own legs were spread, her back arched, inviting...no, begging, desperate, a mood enhanced by the way she looked back towards the camera. Her hair was no longer neat, but a dishevelled mess, speaking of nights of torment through bliss without release her dark prince had subjected her to. The princess' lips glistened with her own sex, just as her lower lips were swollen almost painfully red, dripping down her thighs. The look in her eyes, still wide but hidden through renegade strands of her raven locks, was no longer haughty, and even beyond sultry: for the first time in her life, the princess was experiencing need, a need that was certain to consume her should her dark prince refuse to finally slate the forbidden desires he had - not created, but awakened - within her.

And this was the sign that the dark prince had been waiting for. Finally, through all the nights of torment and teasing and numblingly erotic torture, the princess had been awakened to her true nature. Finally, she accepted the dark prince as her own, that no one else could take his place in the soul he had found and forged within her. Now that she was his forever, could the dark prince slate the own passion he had tendered within himself. The last photograph taken, the prince put down his picture, moving onto the bed and out of his clothes within seconds, and in an even shorter time, had buried himself in her from behind, his hands on her hips and breasts, mouth on her neck, as he rode his conquest through the short path they each had to climax, the start of their new lives.

Afterwards, James lay panting for a few seconds, his body covered in sweat, before standing up unstedily to untie Riley, taking her into his arms as he collapsed back onto the soft cushion of the bed. The experience had been...intense, to say the least. He had rarely, if ever, felt anything like that before, like the passion that scenario had unleashed in him. Regardless of whatever they had decided before, James knew those pictures he would keep and treasure forever, and that from now on, he would always grow hard when he heard Riley called 'princess.'

Finally, he felt recovered enough to speak. "I can honestly say, Riley, that that will be fresh in my mind long after Thursday."
 
Last edited:
Corbin escorted Riley to the elevator, and after saying a very polite goodbye, returned to Dan. "You got all you need?"

Dan looked up as Corbin spoke from the doorframe, "I think so but if you don'rt mind me saying so, it seems like a lit of fuss for a room remodel, even if it is Hargreaves."

"Well, I just happened to hear at the gallery the other night that, the Hargreaves investment bank is postioned to expand into other markets, and it seemed only fitting that we got a foot in the door for a potential design contract, for the new branches."

Dan nodded as he now understood why Corbin was so anxious to please Edwina, then he added, "what about the young lady is she involved in your scheme?"

"Riley, of course not, she is sort of like a niece or littel sister, I would never presume to put myself forward to her, I know her husband."

"Ahh I see," answered Dan perhaps a bit sarcastically.

"I am going back to my hotel, spend a few hours torturing myself in the penthouse suites gymnasium, and then I have work to do. I will be there all night and I will probably eat supper in my room, alone. Call me if you want anything."

With that Corbin retrieved his jacket from his office, and met Billy downstairs, where he was informed that his two photographs from the show had been shipped to his home in West Virginia as per his instructions. All the way back to the hotel Corbin considered the two contrasting pictures, the one so innocent and playful, the other so raw and emotional. His thoughts also turned to Riley herself and her physical presense, something that really stimulated him.
 
Riley was still quivering when James rolled off of her. She was breathless and and almost mindless from pleasure. It had been intense and primal, raw even. She sought his embrace immediately. She wrapped her arms around his neck and snuggled close. He held her to his chest, protective and soothing. He smoothed her hair and whispered his love. Soon, she was sound asleep against his chest.

She knew he wouldn't sleep. Even as she dozed off she knew he would have to go to his darkroom and develop the photos. It was just who her passionate artist was. The bed felt cold without him. Several times she woke up reaching for him, but he was still with his Mistress, his art.

She had classes the next day and James was sound asleep when she left. She worked on her paper before returning home that night. James had out his notes and his portfolio. He was choosing peices to show Feldman. Riley cooked some pasta and tossed it in her red sauce. A simple dinner so they could both get back to work.

She sat at her computer and typed away. Her paper was very close to being finished. James took notes and sketched sets. Riley could almost feel the energy in the house build with each keystroke. James would be going off to have his meeting tomorrow and she would be turning in her paper and meeting with Corbin. She knew James wouldn't like it, but it really wasn't hurting anything to go meet Edwina. Besides, perhaps Edwina would purchase one of James's prints.

Riley worked on her paper until her eyes were tired and her mind was full. It would still need some editing in the morning. She went back to James's workspace. He was surrounded by pictures. Before her was the timeline of their relationship. Not all of the pictures were of her, even though a great deal of them were, but she could remember his creative process for each series of photographs.

Riley kissed him on the forehead. "Darling, I am off to bed." She whispered. He nodded and kissed her goodnight. He called out a promise to be there soon, but she knew he might be hours.
 
James Davenport

James held his wife close against his chest, her diminutive body practically built to match against his own somewhat larger frame, built to need his protection, physical and spiritual, and James lavished both upon her. The lovemaking had been beyond anything he had ever experienced before, he knew that now. God, he would miss her, even for the day he would be gone. He wished he could have lain down with Riley then and there, but even as he petted and cooed in her ear as she fell to sleep, her light weight heavy against his arms, James knew he couldn't. At least not yet. He needed to develop those photos. Just like the princess of his fantasy, he too was experiencing an unforseen, if not unknown, drive.

So, as soon as Riley was asleep, James gently laid her down, tucking her in and giving her a final loving kiss on her forehead before fetching a robe and the camera and heading downstairs to his lab. He had only taken the pictures for fun, but the session had become so much more, and almost against his wishes, like a junkie being pulled back into his addiction, the hours drained away as James toiled in the lab...no, toiled would imply he was not enjoying it, he was bored. James was thrilled, completely entranced as he worked, getting the correct tone, the right shading and size. The camera had not been one of his best, these would never win prizes for technicality even if he had wanted or been able to show them to others, but he would not let himself fail in making them the best he possibly could.

Finally, he was done, the time well passed midnight and closer to the hour that Riley would awaken. James had hoped to be up to see her off, but now that seemed unlikey; still, he quietely tiptoed upstairs, leaving large glossy prints of all four photographs at her place at the table, before slipping into bed. No sooner had he cuddled against his wife, an arm draped posesively around her, than James fell asleep.

Just as he suspected, James was alone when he woke up, the time almost noon. He spent the day pouring over all of his work, from years back even - not that those were any good by this point, but they showed his progression, and gave hints as to how his work might be in a similar span of time. He needed to selected the right mix for Fieldman. Everything had to be stunning, absolutely perfect. He barely even noticed his Riley, only realizing later that she was similarly busy with her own work. He returned her kiss when she was ready for bed, promising to be there seen; and yet when he looked up at the clock afte finally finishing his selection, it seemed that four hours had gone by.

James rose, stretching, feeling a bit embarassed. She would probably be gone by the time he woke up, and then he wouldn't see her until he returned on the following day. He hadn't even had time to say a proper goodbye. Going to the counter, he took off a notepad and wrote a short note to Riley, telling her of his love, hoping her work went great at school, promising to call her if he could that evening and that they would have a proper evening together when he came back to make up for his absenses. He signed it with a kiss, and once that was don, he returned to the bedroom, sliding in against his sleeping wife once more.
 
Riley slipped out of bed quietly. James had come to bed later than she had even anticipated. She knew he needed to be well rested for his trip. She went to her computer and finished the revision on her paper. Then she gathered the texts that she needed to study for her exams. She wanted to carry them along on her trip today, in case she got to study during the downtime. Then she was also planning on stopping into her favorite coffee house and reading instead of going home to the empty house.

She printed her paper and then got dressed. She dressed carefully. She didn't want to look as if she were trying to hard when she went to the Hargreaves mansion. She selected soft gray wide legged slacks and a brilliant white silk blouse. It was a bit of a throw back look to Carol Lombard or Katherine Hepburn. She pulled her hair into a low ponytail at the nape of her neck. She put on the pearls that James had given her for their wedding, they had been his mother's. She looked in the mirror, pleased with the effect. She stooped and kissed James lightly. He murmured words of love even in his sleep. On her way out she found his note when she grabbed her apple for breakfast. She wrote him a similar note wishing him well and promising to send her best thoughts his way. She left an actual lipstick print kiss on the paper.

She saw the photos on the kitchen table. They were stunning. It was bizarre to see herself in that way. To see herself as the hungry captive, the eager sexual goddess. In her own mind she was still awkward and unskilled in the ways of love. Her experiences before James had been few and innocent. His need for her was so.... consuming. And it was spread across these pages. She wrote another note.
James,
These are brilliant. I have never seen need expressed so clearly in your work.
love, your Riley

Riley walked out the door with a twinge of guilt, but she forced it away. It wouldn't hurt James that she had found a friend in Corbin. She had many male friends and James had never been very possesive. Besides, she was building a contact with Edwina. She made her way to the University first, sliding her paper under her professor's door and then she took a cab to Corbin's office. She could feel herself smiling, just thinking of her adventure today.
 
Corbin had arrived early for work having gone to bed early the night before. Dan had made sure all the drawings and estimates for Edwina were done. Corbin went over every detail with a fine tooth comb to insure he would not make any mistakes, and then he was ready. While he waited about for the appointed time, he sat in his office reviewing current projects and critiquing then as he felt they deserved.

When Riley got to his office he had been in a bit of an ill mood due to a miscalculation on an estimate that would cost the company, money. However when Riley entered his private domain he looked up and smiled his most welcoming, and ushered Riley to a chair this time instead of the sofa.

"Whatever you do Riley just be quiet, look about a lot, like you were considering buying the place and try not to be overwhelmed." With that they left, Billy driving the limousine, Riley and Corbin in the back. While enroute Corbin told Riley of a car company in the thirties, Duesenberg, whose ads were very simple and direct. They showed somebody, obviously rich and wealthy, and the only caption was 'she/he drives a Duesenberg.' He finished the anecdote by saying "Ms Hargreaves could very well have been a poster girl for that car company, wouldn't surprise me if she had one laying around somewhere."

Riley laughed obviously enjoying the excursion and Corbin was at his charming best. When they arrived at Edwina's house, they entered a long drive flanked by tall plane trees. Corbin said it was like many French estates and that was the look that Edwina's husband, the late Charles, had been aiming for. After what seemed a long time to Riley they came out of the drive and into an open spot in front of the house, which was white stucco, with a mansard roof line and copper sheeting on the roof. The place did indeed look like a French Chateau.

They got out after Billy dutifully opened the door, and Riley mentally, marveled at his size once more. Corbin was unsure whether Riley was excited or nervous, but before he could make up his mind The front door was opened by a uniformed attendent, who after looking somewhat askance at Riley showed them through the large cool entrance hall, through a few rooms and then into the famous great room. It was indeed large, two storied, with a wooden gallery above, like a balcony, a huge stone fireplace and a large wood framed glazed wall that opened out to a patio.

Riley tried not to be too overwhlemed but the fact that this place was unlike any building she had ever seen before, and the fact it was a private residence for one older lady was a lot to take in.

Edwina rose and looked almost angrily at Riley as she followed Corbin in and said rather rudely, "have you brought your concubine with you?"

Riley was quite taken aback by Edwina`s abrupt display but even more so by Corbin`s very curt reply, "I have borught an associate with me, who advises me on specific details, and I would thank you to be a little more respectful of this young ladìes place, otherwise I have business elsewhere."

Corbin said this matter of factly but left no doubt he was serious, and Edwina actually apologised for her rudeness. The meeting went well after that and after Corbin made his presentation Edwina signed on the dotted line so to speak. When they left escorted by the attendent, Corbin said to Riley after they were outside, "well I might not get the contract for the fifty bank branches, but I won`t have my friends spoken to that way, care for some lunch Riley?"
 
Riley had managed to not even flinch when Edwina hurled her insult. It was a bit of a powerful feeling to know that she was deemed threatening by a woman such as Edwina Hargreaves. "It was kind of you to speak up for me, but you needn't. I don't need the approval of women like Edwina. And I would love to have lunch with you." Riley added with a smile. In the limo she pulled out one of her text books and made a few notes in the margin. Just skimming over the information. She was just brushing up for her tests, no new information.

Riley observed that Billy knew just where to take them for lunch since Corbin hadn't given him any directions. Riley was deep in thought. She wondered how James's meeting was going and James had his concept solidified. She shook herself from her thoughts and put her book away.

"I am sorry if you don't get the bank contract." Riley offered apoligeticly as they pulled up in front of the restaruant. "She is a fool if she doesn't choose to hire you. Your design for her remodel will keep to the french estate feel while giving her a bit of an update. It will freshen the place without taking away from its charm.

Again the maitre d' knew Corbin by name and ushered them to a prime table. Riley smirked thinking that Corbin probably never sat by the kitchen or next to the family of 12 celebrating great uncle so and so's birthday. Riley didn't even open the menu that was handed to her. She knew that Corbin would help her choose just the perfect thing.
 
"I did not speak up because I thought you powerless, I did it because I was offended by her attitude, and I wouldn`t worry about her bank branches she does not make those decisions anyway."

At the restaurant Corbin ordered grilled salmon with a lemon dill sauce, and a bottle of Mondavi Sauvignon Blanc. He furthered Riley`s wine lessons by telling her about waht to order with fish like salmon or trout.

"THose fish and some others tend to be somewhat oily, and if you arder a wine that is aged in a barrel, you end up with a taste in your mouth like tin, so always order wine that is unoaked. Now tell me what you smell with that one."

Riley considered and said finally, "it reminds me of a newly cut lawn, does it tasted like grass?"

Corbin smiled and said "your right about the grass smell, and no it doesn`t it will taste maybe a bit tart, and clean on the pallet, another alternative would be maybe a Riesling or Gewarztraminer, they generally have a good acid balance. But try it with the fish itself and tell me what you think."
 
Riley did as Corbin asked of her. She closed her eyes as she tasted the wine with the fish. It was a crisp, sharp but clean taste. She smiled with delight. "How did you learn all of this?" She inquired.

Riley felt her purse quiver beside her. She opened her purse to look at the caller i.d. on her phone. It was a call from Oregon, she ignored it and slipped it back in her bag. She could call Jenny or her mother back later. She took another bite of the fish, only to feel the vibration again. She ignored the call but started to be a bit concerned when she felt a call come in for the third time. Riley excused herself and carried her purse to the entrance of the restaraunt and slipped outside to place the call.

She dialed the number. She knew it was bad news the minute that Jenny answered the phone. The house was loud, she could hear that there was a crowd of people there. Jenny was crying and someone else was wailing in the background. It was hard to understand Jenny, but she caught the gist. Her father had been killed at the mill. A chain snapped on a lumber truck and her father had been crushed. Atleast he died on mill time, Jenny had added, the mill would have to pay. Riley felt her hands shake. Tears streamed down her face onto her white silk blouse. She tried to stop her tears but she couldn't. Jenny told her that they needed her to come home now. Mama was asking for her and they weren't sure how they were going to pay for the funeral until the mill coughed up the money. Riley had to help.

Riley managed to agree to come. But that was all the words she had. She leant against the stone fascade of the building, swiping her tears away. She closed her phone. She took slow, deep breaths but they didn't make it any better. All she could do for the moment was stand. It took all she had to just stand.
 
Corbin was suprised to see Billy approach him at his table, He leaned down and said something softly to Corbin who looked up sharply at his news. Getting up from his table, Corbin went to the maitre`d and paid, well actually overpaid for the meal very quickly and went outside to the street and saw Riley just as Billy had described, leaning against the side of the building staring blankly into space, tears running down her face.

He went to her and putting his hands gently on her shoulders, he asked softly, "whatever is the matter Riley, is there something I can do.`

Perhaps it was a relflex action or perhaps it was to stay upright but Riley fell against his chest, and started to weep in earnest. Corbin said nothing more just holding her while he signalled to Billy who was waiting, and seeing the summons pulled the car up to the front of the restaurant.

Once he got Riley into the car he said to Billy, "drive, no destination just drive."

Billy did as he was told and Corbin rather than press for an answer simply waited till Riley was ready to tell him the problem. He surmised it was bad news from somewhere, he was just unsure as to what it might be.

While Billy drove Corbin took her hand as if she was a little girl who had fallen and skinned her knee and held it, waiting and watching her. By now Riley was not sobbing jusr staring blankly ahead tears still coming but no sound. They went like this for an hour before she finally managed to choke out what had happend.
 
Last edited:
"A chain snapped on a lumber truck. And my father.... there was an accident." She managed. Riley managed to stifle a sob in her throat. "My sister says I am needed now. Arrangements. I am the one that takes care of things, even if I am the baby." She squeased Corbin's hand. It felt big and strong around hers. "I have to get to Oregon. I need to call James."

She opened her phone and hit the first speed dial. There was no ring. It went straight to voicemail over and over. James being inaccesible only seemed to bring on more tears. "I am sorry, Corbin. I don't mean to carry on." Riley whispered. He was being a dear friend, comforting her and just being with her so she wasn't alone.

Riley had actually been closer to her father than to the rest of her family. Her mother had never understood her desire to leave. The mill was good enough for the rest of them, it should have been good enough for her as far as her mother was concerned. Her father though loved to brag that he had a girl in college. The story had always been that he and her mom had had a third child hoping for a boy, but Riley had never felt like her dad was a disapointed she wasn't a son.

Riley looked at Corbin with her wide brown eyes, her cheeks flushed from all of the emotion. "I am not sure what to do Corbin."
 
"The first thing you do is git home, pack a bag, and git on a plane, Billy, take us to Riley`s house pronto.`

Without a word, Billy rarely spoke it seemed, the car was heading at a quick but safe speed towards Riley`s house. "Now call James back and if he doesn`t answer this time, tell him there will be a ticket for him, waiting till he gets there.`

Riley did as Corbin said and by that time they were at the house, Corbin offered to wait in the car while she packed but Riley insisted for some reason he come in. When they were in Riley sat down on the edge of the bed and started to cry again. Corbin without a word opened the closet and checked around till he found a suitable piece of luggage, then he said to Riley softly, `Pack enough for a week, and make sure you include a dark dress not too flashy. I wold pack it for you but it would be unseemly for me to go through your clothes, now c`mon girl, you got to do this."

Riley managed to stand and did as Corbin had said, and while she did he left her alone and went to the other room and started calling on his own cell phone, Riley could hear snatches of what he said,`"I don`t care how booked it is, yea well that`s fine I would have booked first anyway, ........what , hang on, Riley" he said as he poked his head into the room, `what is the nearest main city Portland ?"

Riley shook her head and said, "no, it`s Eugene, I think."
`
"Right, it is Eugene, you got that, okay book two seats and a third for a later flight to be picked up by one James Davenport, right same way, okay you got that?"

Apparetly they did because Corbin hung up after and said gently to Riley, "I will escort you home, and retire as soon as it is fit, I won`t get in the way, but I won`t leave you until James gets there, I left a note for him on the refrigerator, and there will be a ticket waiting for him at the airport when he gets back"

Then the bag packed Corbin carried it to the car for her, and helped her in and gave Billy his instructions outside the car. They left for the airport, and after arriving, pulled up to the VIP entrance, where they were met by a valet, and again Corbin carried her bag which was carry on anyway. They were met inside by Dan who had been called by Billy at Corbin`s request, he had brought a bag that Corbin kept in the office in case he needed one in a hurry.`

Then there was nothing more to do but wait for an hour and a half before the plane boarded. They sat in the deep plush seats of the VIP lounge, and Corbin told Riley, "now don`t you worry none, I will get you there and I am here for you lean on me, and take my hand if it makes you feel better, you are not alone Riley"
 
Last edited:
Riley turned resting the side of her face against the soft upholstry. She had finally quit crying, she just looked a little pale. She held Corbin's hand as they waited. She held his large hand in both of hers and closed her eyes. She looked both the woman and child. Fragile and needy, but still beautiful.

"Corbin, I think I need a drink." Her voice was a touch stronger now. "It will help me to sleep on the plane." Corbin got the attention of the waitress in the lounge with just friendly eye contact. He didn't even have to lift a finger. Riley ordered a scotch neat. She looked at Corbin. "A drink reserved for bad breakups and I presume the death of my father."

The waitress was back in moments. Riley let the drink burn down her throat. The heat really did slide down her throat and into her stomach. She wrapped her arms around herself, feeling very cold. Corbin stood and slid off his jacket. He draped it around her shoulders.

Riley liked the feel of his well cut jacket around her shoulders. It was warm and it smelled like him. She closed her eyes and took his hand back in hers.

"Why isn't he calling me back? Surely his meeting is almost over by now." She murmured. James was at a meeting about an exhibit, he wasn't planning brain surgery or commiting espionage, surely he would be checking his voicemail at some point.

"Thank you for not sending me off to do this alone." Riley dreaded going home. She knew Jenny and Carrie would not have lifted a finger to help plan anything for fear of having to help pay for it. And Riley's mother was emotional and inept on a good day. She could barely imagine what her mother was like at this very moment.

Soon the first class passengers were invited to board the plane. Riley allowed Corbin to help her to her feet, then his hand cupped her elbow as they walked to the gate. She felt so much better just being with him.
 
When they were aboard Corbin got the attention of a flight attendent and had him bring a blanket for Riley when it came Corbin tucked her in and let her sleep. She slept through most of the flight no doubt exhausted from her grief. When they arrived in Eugene they were met by a tall black man who Corbin adressed, "Devon I have't seen you in a dog's age what are you doing here?"

His voice was very deep and sounded like it came from his toes, "Dan called out to LosAngeles, so I got the first flight here, arranged for a car, and here I am, I will be your driver for the time you are here," then addressing Riley he said, "I am sorry for your loss and I hope we can be of some help to you."

Riley must have wondered how things in Corbin's world seemed to happen so effortlessly and efficiently. They went to the car, a late model Lincoln sedan, and were soon on an interstate heading for Riley's hometown. They arrived two hours later which put them there early evening local time.

Following Riley's tired directions they went to her mum's trailer park and found the place her parents lived in. When she went to the door no one answered and a neighbour called out, they are all at Lindseys.

Riley explained that that was the local funeral home and so they went there. The scene that greeted Riley followed closely by Corbin was chaotic, her mum was sitting in an arm chair crying inconsolably moaning she could not pay for this what would she do. Corbin said to Riley, "go to your mother, I will talk to the funeral director."

When he met the funeral dierector Mr. Lindsey, Corbin introduced homself and asked about the arrangements.

He sighed and said, "the mill will pay eventually as part of a group insurance plan but I need something now even a down payment, to cover it."

"How much?" asked Corbin pointedly.

"Well fortunatly they don't have much taste and the wife picked that coffin there," and he pointed to a metallic looking thing that looked the price.

Looking at it Corbin shook his head and asked, "did she pick that because she liked it?"

"No she picked it because it was the cheapest one."

Corbin nodded and said, "fine, use that one, the oak one there, and how much is it for everything."

Mr. Lindsey made a new total, and said, looking up from his desk, with that coffin four and half thousand, he was pretty messed up in the accident."

Corbin took out his cheque book and wrote out a cheque for six thousand dollars, and said, "make it right that's all I ask."

Looking at the cheque Lindsey nodded and said, "yes sir I will."

Corbin returned to the sitting room and went up to Mrs. McGuire, "I am so sorry for your loss maam, I am a friend of your daughter Riley, and I phoned the human resource office at the mill and straightend out the insurance, you don't have to worry the funeral is taken care of."

If Corbin had been wearing a clown suit Mrs. McGuire and her other two daughters could not have stared at him any harder, they had never seen anyone quite like him. He offered his hand to her and said "Corbin Buchanan at your service." Riley looked up at him and mouthed a thank you.
 
Last edited:
The relief of the bill being paid brought the din down a bit. The five grand children were making noise of their own. Riley's mother toned down her tears a bit. Jenny looked at Riley in her pearls and silk blouse with a smirk.

"Where is your fancy artist husband? Did he really pack you off here without him?" Riley sighed. She knew it was coming. "He still too good to come up here."

Riley rolled her eyes. "Jenny, he is on a business trip. He doesn't even know I am here yet. I expect to hear from him soon. He is coming. And he isn't like that anyway. You will like him if you just give him the chance." Jenny huffed and her mother patted Riley's arm.

"Mr. Buchanan is a friend of yours?" She asked softly. Riley knew better, she was asking about his money.

"Mr. Buchanan, Corbin, is a designer. He is an associate of James."

Linda McGuire smiled up at Corbin. "Well Corbin, we are about to have supper at the house. People from the park have brought over food and we need to eat it. Come along?" She asked wiping her cheeks with the backs of her hands. Riley was relieved. Food kept them all quieter and if Corbin came with her they might be on their best behavior atleast for a while. Maybe being around Corbin would soften them towards James.

The family piled into an assortment of pick ups and cars and headed back to the trailer park. Riley slid in beside Corbin. "Thank you, the paper mill would take weeks. And the paper mill is going to fight them tooth and nail for his survivor benefits. They always do. They will say the accident was Daddy's fault or he stole a ream of paper fifteen years ago or something stupid like that."

Riley closed her eyes as the driver took them back to her folk's place. "Corbin, you are such a good friend to me."
 
Corbin smiled back at her and said, "I thank you for that Riley, I consider it an honour to be named your good friend."

After they got back to the trailer park There was indeed a feast of sorts, set up in the McGuire's trailer. The kitchen table was piled high with cookies snacks and a crock pot of chili, there were chicken fingers, breaded and frozen from the factory, a salad of sorts with a commercial ranch dressing, several store bought, and a few homemade pies.

Corbin tucked in as if this was what he ate on a daily basis, though Riley noticed that he stuck pretty much to the homemade articles, the chili, the pies, and the casserole, made from some sort of canned fish, probably tuna. Corbin stayed close to Linda Mcguire, talking to her in reassuring tones as if he had know her all his life. Linda for her part seemed quite taken by him, though throughout all the proceedings Corbin kept a close eye on Riley as well.

Jenny and Carrie both seemed to hover near Corbin, and despite any misgivings Riley might have had about Corbin coming here she was amazed that he fit in as if he had been here all his life. It became obvious he truly had grown up in circumstances not unlike what Riley had known. Even Devon the driver ended up inside eating as well, Jenny and Carrie both seemed quite taken with him.

After sitting and listening to Linda for a long period of time, Corbin when he was able excused himself ostensibly to get some fresh air, went outside where all the smokers were. He took in the night sky and chatted aimiably with some of Bob McGuire's work friends. They all seemed to genuinly like him, and before long were telling him off colour jokes, and talking of the mill, offering him some Copenhagen, which he politely refused. Corbin for his part was able to relate a few anecdotes about Danville and life there, and it seemed as if he was just one of the boys albiet better dressed.

Later that evening as things were winding down one of Bob's friends at the mill, Stan Koblinski, said to Riley as he gathered up some pie, and other assorted desserts, "I am real sorry about your dad Riley, he was the best friend I had, I know you were the one he loved the most. Hell he never talked of anythng else, but Riley this and Riley that, you would have thought you were an only child." Then as he added a few cookies to his plate he added, "that husband of yours is quite the fellow to, Hell I never would have thought an artist like that would be so easy to talk to."

Riley looked past Stan and said, "is James here?"

"James, I thought that Corbin guy was your husband."
 
Back
Top