Changing Literotica "Celebs" Category to "Fan Fiction"?

Manu

Just A Test Title OK
Joined
Aug 24, 1999
Posts
1,330
Literotica has been around for a long time. Back when we started, even though fan fiction definitely existed, there wasn't an obvious name for the category that is currently known as "Celebrities". Today, the obvious name for that category is "Fan Fiction".

"Fan Fiction" is an all-encompassing name, and readers in 2015 understand what it means right away.

Do you authors think that we should change the name of the Celebs category to Fan Fiction?

Thank you for any feedback! :D
 
Even though I don't write in that category, I understand what it is. Fanfic is not only about celebrities. It's about so much more...a writers favorite cartoon/anime character, etc.

So, yes, I think it might be better to call it what it really is.


Why no poll?
 
This is a perfect solution to the "celebrities" category being so narrow, AND it solves the problem of NonHuman being full of twilight fanfictions! Kudos, good sir!
 
I agree with my fellow good sirs above.

I think its a good change to be made and one that has perhaps been a long time coming.

I do write fanfic and have posted it in the Celebs area which always felt a little odd when it is characters and not the actors/actresses I am writing about.

So kudos to you Manu.
 
I don't write in that category, but I agree that it would be a better, more relevant name.
 
Having written in the confining category many times before, I like the idea of broadening the category to include other topics.

Good idea.

We also need a few more categories that aren't as confining for gay and lesbian sex. How about one for bi-sexual men and another for bi-sexual women. Just a thought.
 
Sounds good, but how do the category rules change?
 

We also need a few more categories that aren't as confining for gay and lesbian sex. How about one for bi-sexual men and another for bi-sexual women. Just a thought.

Yes, we agree and there are plans to expand the Gay/Lesbian sections in the future. They should be their own separate part of the site with most of the same categories as the "straight" part of the site (Gay Voyeur/Gay Fetish/Gay Fan Fiction/etc.).
 
"Fan Fiction" is an all-encompassing name, and readers in 2015 understand what it means right away.

Do you authors think that we should change the name of the Celebs category to Fan Fiction?

Thank you for any feedback! :D

I think it should be a separate category:

One for Celebrities and one for Fan-Fiction, because:

"Jennifer Capriati at the U.S. Open — Anna sends Jennifer a 'present'."
https://www.literotica.com/s/jennifer-capriati-at-the-u-s-open

...isn't any form of fan-fiction I've ever heard of except for "Celebrity sex story".

Changing the name Celebrities to Fan-Fiction would kill all future attempts at:
"Mike Yates gives buttsex to Heather Hoffman and Kristen Stewart"

...and that would be bad.

Authors can always request a category change via the submission guildelines.
 
Makes sense in this day & age.

But why not call it "Fan Fiction / Celebrity" or vice versa "Celebrity / Fan Fiction"

Is there anything wrong with using both names in the category title?

best wishes Manu
 
Yes, we agree and there are plans to expand the Gay/Lesbian sections in the future. They should be their own separate part of the site with most of the same categories as the "straight" part of the site (Gay Voyeur/Gay Fetish/Gay Fan Fiction/etc.).

I think the problem with that is that it might divide the viewers too much.

For instance, I've written exhibition/voyeur stories where it was just two women. Same with bdsm. They were essentially lesbian stories, but in different categories.

Those stories have gotten decent views & attention.

If they were put in an entirely gay/lesbian category, then it would be splitting where the viewers. The views could potentially go way down because viewers would be looking exclusively in one section, and not the other.

SUGGESTION: Keep it the way it is. But why not give authors the ability to label the sexual orientation of their story like other sites do?

For instance, below the story description, an author could put "f/f" which obviously means female-female.

So if someone wrote a gay fan-fiction story, it would be in the Fan Fiction section, but it would be labeled "m/m" so readers would know that it's a gay story.

Just a thought...
 
I think of FanFic and Celebrity as two distinct and different categories, but I suppose Celeb could be a subset of FanFic.
 
Makes sense in this day & age.

But why not call it "Fan Fiction / Celebrity" or vice versa "Celebrity / Fan Fiction"

Is there anything wrong with using both names in the category title?

This is a much better idea.
 
If you're counting votes: I think its a good call. It's more descriptive. Such a change will probably encourage more reader eyes and more writers.
 
I don't normally write in the genre but my Steampunk series was mildly a fanfic for the Holmes brothers. If you change the title to that I might repost them since they did absolutely nothing on the market. People here liked them but not on Amazon.
 
A good idea. I wrote a story in the Star Trek universe with original characters but it was put in "Celebrities" (much lower views than my others in Sci-Fi/Fantasy). Those that read it say it would suit as a Science Fiction story.

Similarly, a new writer today just posted a Marvel Loki fan fiction (pure fan fiction in every sense of the term) in Sci-Fi/Fantasy and no one's commenting and score is low because the readers don't know what to make of it compared to everything else. Yet again, no one would find the story in "Celebrities."

I vote in favor. Even "Celebrities/Fan Fiction" would be a good change.
 
Last edited:
A good idea. I wrote a story in the Star Trek universe with original characters but it was put in "Celebrities" (much lower views than my others in Sci-Fi/Fantasy). Those that read it say it would suit as a Science Fiction story.

Similarly, a new writer today just posted a Marvel Loki fan fiction (pure fan fiction in every sense of the term) in Sci-Fi/Fantasy and no one's commenting and score is low because the readers don't know what to make of it compared to everything else. Yet again, no one would find the story in "Celebrities."

I vote in favor. Even "Celebrities/Fan Fiction" would be a good change.

I did a Star Trek parody a few years back and placed it in Sci-Fi. One of my worse scores but then again, it was a real blast to write.

Star Trek, The Literotica Episode
 
Sure, Celebrities and Fan Fiction probably would be more useful. I don't write or read in either, though.
 
Yes, we agree and there are plans to expand the Gay/Lesbian sections in the future. They should be their own separate part of the site with most of the same categories as the "straight" part of the site (Gay Voyeur/Gay Fetish/Gay Fan Fiction/etc.).

What will happen to the gay male stories written for women readers and lesbian stories written for male readers? I did write an M2M story once for women readers and put it up for SciFi/Fantasy; it was put in Gay Male and did fine there. As it was quite raunchy (not one of those soppy M2M stories with lots of romance and no sex), I felt it was a good call although I don't think gay male readers are that into fantasy romance stories as a rule.

I like the idea of posting gay and lesbian stories in the other story categories and just putting F2F or F2M etc in the tags. It does away with the difficulty of stories where action is muddled up and there is gay, straight and bi. Makes it feel like gay, lesbian and bi people are just part of the normal world! Oh ... we are. ;)

And I give a thumbs-up to renaming Celebrities Fanfiction. I was just about to mention fanfic in a review (of a story which of course has had to go into 'text with audio' as all audio stories just go in there regardless) and would have struggled to find it properly under 'celebrities'.
:)
 
If you mean just changing the name of the category to Fan Fiction, I see nothing wrong with that. To me it is not a big deal. However, I would prefer having only one category for both kinds of story.

For one thing, there are not enough stories to split the category. For another, there is a certain amount of blurring of the line between the two kinds of stories. I am much more familiar with my own wirj than anybody else's, so I will use them to show what I mean.

A strictly fanfic story would be an episode of a TV series or other medium that would be written in third person. Or, it could be in first person, with the writer as one of the characters in the episode. A strictly celeb. story would be written about a celeb, either involving the writer or not. In between, there is a wide range, even though I haven't written many of them.

I have one story in which I interact with Kelly Bundy in that persona, but not as a member of the cast of "Married with Children." I have another, "I Get Friendly with Friends" which involves a sex orgy with the cast of the TV series, but they remain in character although making no pretense that they are anything other than the cast of a TV series. If there were two separate categories, there would always be a problem deciding where stories such as these belong.
 
I like the idea of posting gay and lesbian stories in the other story categories and just putting F2F or F2M etc in the tags. It does away with the difficulty of stories where action is muddled up and there is gay, straight and bi. Makes it feel like gay, lesbian and bi people are just part of the normal world! Oh ... we are. ;)

I wouldn't favor this at all, especially with the tags where they are now--at the end of the story. But I wouldn't even favor the gay and bi stories just being mixed in with the straight ones with a tag up front. Readers aren't reading tags as we now have them, and gay and bi stories found in the general categories now frequently get slammed for being there. Subdivide the gay and lesbian categories more and add a couple of bi ones, separating the male perspective bi ones from the female perspective bi ones.

But what we have now is preferable to dumping the gay and bi ones into the general categories and relying on tags to guide reader interest.
 
Stop creating new subdivisions of the existing subdivisions. Improve the tagging system, and implement filters for readers. You'll get more readers to sign up for an account so that their specific filters (like one that hides gay male, for example) are remembered.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top