You write the words and make believe
There is truth in the space between

There is fiction in the space between
You and everybody
Give us all what we need
Give us one more sad sordid story
But in the fiction of the space between
Sometimes a lie is the best thing

Great song and her voice is such a perfect fit for the overall "tone" of the song.:)

"Beginning To See The Light"

for literotica

how does it feel to be loved

about two years ago I listened to this album, and discovered a secret architecture as claimed by Baudelaire for his Flowers of Evil.
and in context of the time it must of have been both revolutionary and despised, and somehow they keep showing up on the greatest bands of all time lists

a song that is always 'off'
with unanswered questions

and
there are problems in these times
but whew none of them are mine

"Beginning To See The Light"

for literotica

how does it feel to be loved

about two years ago I listened to this album, and discovered a secret architecture as claimed by Baudelaire for his Flowers of Evil.
and in context of the time it must of have been both revolutionary and despised, and somehow they keep showing up on the greatest bands of all time lists

a song that is always 'off'
with unanswered questions

and
there are problems in these times
but whew none of them are mine

Great stuff, 1201, and the video is spot on. Thanks for reminding me of Velvet Underground. As you say, there's a lot of unanswered questions about them. I failed to see the "secret architecture" of Baudelaire but maybe this is due to my own blindness. Still, this band together with Beatles and Frank Zappa are the artists that came so close to main stream music that sometimes (in terms of lyrics and musical form) are probably there. (simple personal opinion).
Music was progressive then and so was poetry. Have a look around. Today we try to be just politically correct and" not confrontational".
We loved confrontation in those days, without it we would have died of boredom.
I don’t understand well your last sentence. If these times are problematic and you live in these times then the problems are yours whether you want it or not.
Here is a satire by Zappa from back then.

:)

Great stuff, 1201, and the video is spot on. Thanks for reminding me of Velvet Underground. As you say, there's a lot of unanswered questions about them. I failed to see the "secret architecture" of Baudelaire but maybe this is due to my own blindness. Still, this band together with Beatles and Frank Zappa are the artists that came so close to main stream music that sometimes (in terms of lyrics and musical form) are probably there. (simple personal opinion).
Music was progressive then and so was poetry. Have a look around. Today we try to be just politically correct and" not confrontational".
We loved confrontation in those days, without it we would have died of boredom.
I don’t understand well your last sentence. If these times are problematic and you live in these times then the problems are yours whether you want it or not.
Here is a satire by Zappa from back then.

:)
Baudelaire at the obscenity trial claimed that removing poems from Fleurs du mal destroyed a secret architecture.
Barbey d’Aurevilly’s claim that there was a “secret architecture” hidden in the Fleurs has long misled scholars by leading them to look for some overarching hierarchical organization, when they should have been looking for how the poems actually fit together, each to each, in the sequential fabric of the text.
Richard Howard attempted to translate it in that respect. His book seems seamless.
The Velvet Underground album seems to be a bizarre mish mash, ranging from Jesus to The Murder Mystery with what I would consider a throwaway The Story of My Life, there has to be a reason, Lou was too good.
If you listen to What Goes On and then The Story of My Life and then the entire album there is a very strong component of two trying to integrate to one,
and failing. The Murder Mystery then blows it out to four, and Afterhours sung in a little girls voice has to be the most exhausted, weary song I've ever heard. Innocence lost, nothing gained from the search for any meaning, close the door.
Plus it has a cowbell.
Zappa despite all his fucking around, I have an immense amount of respect for:
Jazz from Hell
How can you not love it, that an instrumental album gets a Parent Advisory label?
I'm probably misquoting " If your children ever found out how lame you are, they'd murder you in your sleep."

Surabaya Johnny

Second song of act 3 from the musical comedy "Happy End" by Bertolt Brecht, Elisabeth Hauptmann and Kurt Weill

Ute Lemper in her usual high standards gives an amazing bilingual Anglo-German performance of the song in live cabaret setting!

I loved Songs for Drella--at once a window and a wake. (Here's a link to Growing Up in a Small Town https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziYus0j85oM .)

Baudelaire at the obscenity trial claimed that removing poems from Fleurs du mal destroyed a secret architecture.
Barbey d’Aurevilly’s claim that there was a “secret architecture” hidden in the Fleurs has long misled scholars by leading them to look for some overarching hierarchical organization, when they should have been looking for how the poems actually fit together, each to each, in the sequential fabric of the text.
Richard Howard attempted to translate it in that respect. His book seems seamless.
The Velvet Underground album seems to be a bizarre mish mash, ranging from Jesus to The Murder Mystery with what I would consider a throwaway The Story of My Life, there has to be a reason, Lou was too good.
If you listen to What Goes On and then The Story of My Life and then the entire album there is a very strong component of two trying to integrate to one,
and failing. The Murder Mystery then blows it out to four, and Afterhours sung in a little girls voice has to be the most exhausted, weary song I've ever heard. Innocence lost, nothing gained from the search for any meaning, close the door.
Plus it has a cowbell.
Zappa despite all his fucking around, I have an immense amount of respect for:
Jazz from Hell
How can you not love it, that an instrumental album gets a Parent Advisory label?
I'm probably misquoting " If your children ever found out how lame you are, they'd murder you in your sleep."

Last edited:
Back