Gas stations in the US

A couple of years ago in The Netherlands the petrol pumps wouldn't take any of my credit or debit cards and there was no attendant - self serve only.

Another customer explained to be that the petrol station was a cooperative. Only members of the cooperative could use it. He directed me across the road to another petrol station that charged a couple of cents more per litre.

In that one, the machinery recognised that I had a UK issued card. The instructions for payment switched to English.

Even the bloody machines in Holland speak perfect English!

Even the bloody machines in Holland speak perfect English!

I found it actually difficult to communicate in Dutch. As soon as I started speaking to anyone, they answered in near perfect English. :rolleyes:

I found it actually difficult to communicate in Dutch. As soon as I started speaking to anyone, they answered in near perfect English. :rolleyes:

Sounds about right. When I was driving trucks in Europe I was constantly amazed, we'd stop for diesel at some petrol station in Norway a hundred miles from anywhere and some fifteen year old kid behind the counter would start chatting away in perfect English.

I pay cash.....no tech problems of any kind.

Chip and pin isn't anywhere near as common in the US as it is in more civilised countries.

You mean like the UK where they throw people in jail for saying things that offend people?

Pompous limey fucking twat.

When I worked

comic-plus-600x337.jpg

I pay cash.....no tech problems of any kind.

So did I and there was still nonsens to deal with.

"You have to pay in advance. How much gas do you want?"

"Until it's full."

"How much is that?"

"Dunno yet, it's half-ish full now."

"So, how big is the tank?"

"Hang on, lemme call Herz and fucking ask them."

At home I roll up, fill, then pay what I owe.

I guess pump and dash is a major problem o'er there?

Most credit card companies here in the U.S. are supplying customers with a card with a chip, but most retailers do not have the machine to read these so they are still being swiped. I was reading an article just the other day that said the credit card companies would not be libel if someone stole your information if the chip card was used at a place that did not have a chip reader. The person would have to recoup their losses from the place of business.

Most credit card companies here in the U.S. are supplying customers with a card with a chip, but most retailers do not have the machine to read these so they are still being swiped. I was reading an article just the other day that said the credit card companies would not be libel if someone stole your information if the chip card was used at a place that did not have a chip reader. The person would have to recoup their losses from the place of business.

I'm pretty sure it's the business that's left to recoup however they can, not the card user.

I like my neighborhood Valero station. Great convenience store too, much better than 7/11s which are just icky these days. They even have native English speaking Americans working at it. I'm not sure how they get away with that, but its refreshing. I actually enjoy going there. Hate the entering zip code thing at the pump though.

Paying in advance is nonsense? :confused:

Throw a stack on the counter...go fill up...collect change.

Cash isn't that difficult until you try making big purchases.....then it's a felony crime.

"Until it's full."

"How much is that?"

It became very bad when Bush's gas prices spiked. Prior to that, it was easy to pump first and pay second.

Paying in advance is nonsense? :confused:

Throw a stack on the counter...go fill up...collect change.

Cash isn't that difficult until you try making big purchases.....then it's a felony crime.

Paying in advance for something you don't know the amount for is kind if toss yes.

Would you do that in a restaurant? Start with the check and then decide if you want dessert and an extra glass of red with the meal?

I have 4 zip codes.
I live at none of them.
Most of my cards are through my "wife's" address. There is the physical address zip code that not even the PO recognizes any more, but most CC companies demand the physical address.
The dmv demands we use the zip from a town 20 mls away cuz it's the county seat.
She gets her mail at a PO box in another town, and I get my mail at a town 100 miles away.
I have no idea which card has which zip code.
I text my "wife", and say, what fukken zip code do I need for this fukken card?
She texts back, "I have no fukken idea"
It's like roulette.
I start sweating as soon as my gas needle gets below half.
Then I spend a half hr at the pump trying cards and numbers.
It's just like vegas.
I almost never win.

You need to select "debit"

Then I have to remember the pin.
And if it's after wed, it's a pretty safe bet my *cough* wife has the debit card already below 0.
So CC roulette begins.
Fuck, now I'm depressed.
And pissed

Denny---<-----that's me! The male half

We have no problems here in the USA using a credit card. Our only problems are getting the Indians that own 99% of the stations to understand English.
And I don't mean Pookie type Indians.

Paying in advance for something you don't know the amount for is kind if toss yes.

Oh......sorry.

Would you do that in a restaurant? Start with the check and then decide if you want dessert and an extra glass of red with the meal?

If there was enough of a dine and ditch problem that became common restaurant policy I'd have to or not eat out.

I don't trust plastic it's been nothing but a fucking nightmare so maybe I'm just used to cash and working with it.

No credit card, no car, no automotive need for gasoline...

...purposely living above such mundane matters makes enjoying natural life so, so much sweeter.

Must suck to so spoiledly need to rely on the your expected cooperative efforts of so many diverse others just for you to personally Have a Good Day.

When I worked in the bookstore in the US, the number of people that hadn't signed the back of their credit card was extraordinary. Their rationale was "then people could copy my signature if I lose my card". They didn't seem to understand the logical ridiculousness of that.

I put "Picture ID Required" instead of my signature. You'd be surprised how many don't even ask for that ID even when they do look at the back of the card.

I really hate using a credit card but on long trips it sometimes is necessary. Too much cash in my pocket gets uncomfortable after 1000 miles.

I just go inside and guess about how many gallons I'll need, paying extra. That's after I stand in line waiting for others to buy lotto tickets, diet soda, and groceries.

Then after going back out to pump the gas, I have to go inside again for my change, while standing in line waiting for others to buy lotto tickets, diet soda, and groceries.
What happened to "Red" coming out, pumping gas, checking my tires, checking my oil, checking my radiator, checking my battery, and cleaning all of my windows? "Red" spoke danged good English.

Back then I simply gave "Red" the money and got some change, a free glass glass, Gold or Green stamps, and a smile.

"Until it's full."

"How much is that?"

You used to be able to do that here in the US, but then people would pull up and fill up and drive away without pay up.

No credit card, no car, no automotive need for gasoline...

...purposely living above such mundane matters makes enjoying natural life so, so much sweeter.

Must suck to so spoiledly need to rely on the your expected cooperative efforts of so many diverse others just for you to personally Have a Good Day.

Us poor ignorant country folk living in the boonies cain't git by like thet. Without a car we'd have ta walk ten miles ta town or hitch a ride with a pervert.
Ain't no taxi cabs or friendly neighbors gonna tote us clean into the city to buy vittles.

Still it's nicer watchng wild life in silence than the wild life in the cities with all the polution and crime. I'd call our way fo life the natural life.

Ya'll have a dandy day, ya hear!

We have no problems here in the USA using a credit card. Our only problems are getting the Indians that own 99% of the stations to understand English.
And I don't mean Pookie type Indians.

आप इशारा करते हुए और हिला द्वारा एक खरीद नहीं कर सकते हैं, यह एक खरीद के लायक नहीं कर रही है।

Back