Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Poetry Feedback & Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #26
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

We did used to do a challenge where one person was the organiser who got one person to start the poem on a set theme or not which could turn out amusing. Then this stanza was passed on to the next person not knowing who had written it, until everyone had written their addition with nobody knowing who had written what, only seeing the stanza before their turn. This poem was then posted in it's entirety for guesses of the author of each stanza.
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old 03-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #27
cascadiabound
The Mystery of RED 銀果

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
We did used to do a challenge where one person was the organiser who got one person to start the poem on a set theme or not which could turn out amusing. Then this stanza was passed on to the next person not knowing who had written it, until everyone had written their addition with nobody knowing who had written what, only seeing the stanza before their turn. This poem was then posted in it's entirety for guesses of the author of each stanza.
So... the writing was done in PM? Not posted in open thread? Or how was it organized?

My belongs to Mr. T
"Some women are made of steel, stones, tears, dust, bones and scars.
Others are made of books, music, rainfall, stardust, moonlight, flowers,
daydreams and wild adventures. The rare ones are made of both." O. Ehixojie

Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascadiabound View Post
So... the writing was done in PM? Not posted in open thread? Or how was it organized?
Yes in PM not posted until it was finished, in fact all our challenges used to be done that way at one time. Poems sent to the challenge starter and only posted when the deadline was reached, then everyone guessed who wrote what. I'm not sure why we stopped doing it.
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #29
cascadiabound
The Mystery of RED 銀果

Quote:
Yes in PM not posted until it was finished, in fact all our challenges used to be done that way at one time. Poems sent to the challenge starter and only posted when the deadline was reached, then everyone guessed who wrote what. I'm not sure why we stopped doing it.
Interesting.

I wonder if there are people who would feel more comfortable submitting poems in this way, essentially anonymously?

Is there anyone who can speak to why the customary format changed on this board?

My belongs to Mr. T

Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #30
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Interesting.

I wonder if there are people who would feel more comfortable submitting poems in this way, essentially anonymously?

Is there anyone who can speak to why the customary format changed on this board?
Hi cb. 🙂 I can speak to those early challenges as I was around when they were ongoing and I participated in some. There have always been a variety of challenge types here on the forum and the ones you and UYS have been discussing were based on an old parlor game called Exquisite Corpse. In our challenges a poet would write a stanza or strophe and pm it either to the next poet participating or whoever was running the challenge, who would post each piece without identifying who wrote it. Thus, participants (and lurker/observers) wouldn't know who wrote what till the challenge ended. It wasn't out of a sense of discomfort with the regular submissions process here: most challenge participants were also submitting poems to Lit as well. The anonymity was just part of the fun. There was lots of guessing as to who wrote what. That has always been popular here.

I think the weekly challenges are good though it might be fun to switch things up and make the challenge be a specific form or response to a piece of art or music instead of just subject titles. That can push folks out of their comfort zone, but can also be a great learning experience.

I think it's great to recruit new poets if we can, but I also recognize that, this being Lit, very few people are here for poetry!

Just my opinions. Hope it helps.

Poems

Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 AM   #31
cascadiabound
The Mystery of RED 銀果

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
Hi cb. 🙂 I can speak to those early challenges as I was around when they were ongoing and I participated in some. There have always been a variety of challenge types here on the forum and the ones you and UYS have been discussing were based on an old parlor game called Exquisite Corpse. In our challenges a poet would write a stanza or strophe and pm it either to the next poet participating or whoever was running the challenge, who would post each piece without identifying who wrote it. Thus, participants (and lurker/observers) wouldn't know who wrote what till the challenge ended. It wasn't out of a sense of discomfort with the regular submissions process here: most challenge participants were also submitting poems to Lit as well. The anonymity was just part of the fun. There was lots of guessing as to who wrote what. That has always been popular here.

I think the weekly challenges are good though it might be fun to switch things up and make the challenge be a specific form or response to a piece of art or music instead of just subject titles. That can push folks out of their comfort zone, but can also be a great learning experience.

I think it's great to recruit new poets if we can, but I also recognize that, this being Lit, very few people are here for poetry!

Just my opinions. Hope it helps.
Thank you for the background Angeline

A few of the wheel of the year challenges have been form specific and the current one "The Mask" asks us to write in response to an image. I think these are excellent variations and we would probably do well to do more of them as you suggest.

I would say part of recruiting poets into challenges or to this part of the board is part reaching out to folks in other parts of the board that we might know have an interest in poetry (there are some rather active haiku threads on both the PG and the BDSM boards) and part being welcoming to people when they do show up here. Not something that I particularly experienced in my early posting here which nearly sent me packing permanently. Just saying.

My belongs to Mr. T

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #32
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

Have you waded through this Here be Challenges
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #33
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Thank you for the background Angeline

A few of the wheel of the year challenges have been form specific and the current one "The Mask" asks us to write in response to an image. I think these are excellent variations and we would probably do well to do more of them as you suggest.

I would say part of recruiting poets into challenges or to this part of the board is part reaching out to folks in other parts of the board that we might know have an interest in poetry (there are some rather active haiku threads on both the PG and the BDSM boards) and part being welcoming to people when they do show up here. Not something that I particularly experienced in my early posting here which nearly sent me packing permanently. Just saying.
It's a great idea to recruit folks from other forums if you can. I'd certainly encourage anyone who knows folks from elsewhere at Lit to encourage anyone they know who might be interested in poetry to come over. Another great resource is the daily (well mostly daily) new poems page. We used to have people signed up for each day, Monday through Friday, to read the new poems and recommend poems they especially liked. Some of the poets on this forum now, like UYS, were recruited from the new poems section of Lit.

I guess my one caveat about recruiting is that this forum tends not to tolerate people who only want praise. I guess all one can do is try to suss that out and see how it goes.

I wish we, I personally, could be around and more active. As you may know I've had significant health challenges the past few years and often don't feel up to more than dealing with requests that come via pm, removing spam, etc. I don't love poetry any less and I want to again work on mine more consistently, but I have to find days when I have good energy. And UYS has been through a lot of ill health too. But I do apologise for any slight you may have felt. It's not intentional. ♥️

Also this is a slow time for the forum. I'm hoping it'll pick up as we move into spring and summer...in the northern hemisphere that is.

☮️

Poems

Old Today, 12:48 AM   #34
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

Does anyone read New Poems now? I posted one a couple of weeks ago and nobody noticed except Anonymous!
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old Today, 07:02 AM   #35
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Does anyone read New Poems now? I posted one a couple of weeks ago and nobody noticed except Anonymous!
I have a poem posted in August 2016 that still has no votes at all. It is non-erotic

April Fool Contest entry:

https://www.literotica.com/s/april-apology

Oggbashan's long list of stories and poems
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.