Royal Engagements (closed!)

Cadet Michael's caught up to him again slightly out of breath. "She accepted of course my lord."
"Good boy. Now as you know what she looks like I would like you to post yourself near the gate tonight. If I am not mistaken she will probably be wearing the same dress. When she arrives I would like you to escort her to my rooms and then stay. Not good to be without a chaperone my boy although if my plan goes off there will be a few other people there. Now back to your post boy tonight plans to be a good night."

For the first time in a long time Adrian was looking forward to the royal ball. Of course he needed this silly parade over first and then came the next dreaded task. Looking over his shoulder He looked at the carriage containing his two oldest sisters. They teased him mercilessly about women and now he had to go to them for help. He just hoped they would and not make a big deal out of this, but he supposed there was little chance of that. Still he would pay the price if it meant he got a night with 'her'.
 
The rest of the parade passed in a daze for Evelyn. Once it was over, most of the spectators headed in town for the festival. Food, drinks, crafts, games. The town would have it all.

Evelyn turned to her mother.

"Mama.. what do I do? I can't go to a ball with a prince... I'm... I'm just... ME" she said worriedly. "I have no jewels no anything expensive".

Her mother shushed her at that moment.

" My dear, " her mother said. "You had no jewels the first time he encountered you either" she reminded. Evelyn looked around nervously.

"He's just doing it out of guilt. Because I helped him with his leg. He would never attend a ball with a woman like me otherwise" Evelyn worried and mother smiled.

"You don't give yourself enough credit, Evelyn. You are beautiful. Funny. Smart. What else could a man want?"

With that, her mother and family turned and walked off, leaving Evelyn to worry alone. She spent the rest of the day trying to have fun. But it was difficult when she was so incredibly nervous.
 
Adrian finished the parade and then rode Thunder back to the stables himself. He took care of everything, Unsaddling him, grooming him, checking his hooves and then feeding him. He rubbed his neck and Thunder butted him affectionately. "Yes,Yes I know I am putting it off. I will go." Sighing he began the long trek to his Sister's quarters. He was in for some teasing now.

He knocked on the wing to his sisters quarters and it was answered by the head maid. "Hello Silvie", he grinned. "I know this is strange but I need to see Kayla and Samantha urgently please." Silvie's eyebrows rose but she nodded and led him to the seats reserved for guests. All of his sisters lived here and each had there own room. He had five sisters all younger than him and along with his two younger brothers and his one older brother they made up the royal bloodline. Kayla and Sam were 1 and 2 years younger than him but liked to brag that they were more worldly than him as they were constantly being courted by princes looking for a future queen. Adrian hadn't really cared about such things before but now... and now he needed there help.

Silvie returned and showed him into the parlor room. Both girls were still in their parade dresses and he guessed he had gotten to them before they had started to primp and change for their ball preparations. He had heard it took them hours. "Sisters thank you for seeing me. I know you must be busy getting ready for the ball so I will make this brief. I have invited a lady to be my date for this evening but I am afraid she will not have the right attire for the ball. I am hoping you might be able to help me out. Any of your old dresses or jewelry you no longer use. Nothing fancy, after all it is just for me and you know how I love to stay in the background," he grinned.

Both girls mouths dropped open. They had been ready to chastise him for interrupting them but now they had gossip. Their brother had invited a woman. Who and why would she not have a dress or Jewelry. "Adrian how are we supposed to dress this girl if we haven't seen her. We don't know her size, what her hair color is, what goes with her face or body type, what style of dress looks good on her, what jewels are better for her. You are a complete idiot. There is only one solution. You must bring her here before the ball and let us get her ready then you may take her down. Oh and you must wear your mostly white Ballroom outfit so it will match anything we pick for her. Now go and let us get ready ourselves. If we are going to be late we have to look our best now."

He was ushered out and he left feeling bemused. No teasing, no jokes and they had agreed easily. What had happened? Still he was not going to argue. He sent word to Michaels to bring her to the princess's wing as soon as she arrived and went to get dressed. His nerves began to play up. He hoped his Sister's weren't playing a cruel joke on him.
 
Evelyn arrived a little early for the ball; her mom had insisted that she do so, "just in case". Her heart was pounding rapidly in her chest as she approached. Few other townfolk were there yet, and the ones who were, eyed her curiously. A woman arriving early, alone, was an odd sight. Evelyn glanced around, unsure of where to go.

That was when the same cadet who had invited her to the ball showed up at her side. "The Prince has asked that I bring you to the parlor before the ball" he said, offering Evelyn his arm, to lead her towards where they needed to go.

It was a short walk, and once in the parlor, nobody else was there. The cadet told her somebody would be with her soon and then left. Evelyn glanced around nervously. Suddenly, two women, who she astonishingly recognized as the princesses, swooped in, introducing themselves in a hurry and spinning her around to get a good look at her.

They quickly began spouting off to servants what they thought Evelyn would need to "do nicely" and Evelyn blushed. "I can't borrow your things" she said quickly. "I...I just cant". She was immediately hushed by the eldest sister.

"You are the first girl our brother has EVER brought around for a ball or any other event. We want to make sure you look perfect for the evening" she the other, and Evelyn blushed furiously.

After an hour, Evelyn was decked out in a gorgeous emerald green ball gown that made her eyes pop, as well as more jewels than she had ever dreamed of even borrowing in her entire life. The two sisters stood back, eyeing her critically and smiled brilliantly.

"He will love you!" the exclaimed and Evelyn blushed yet again. Cadet Michaels entered again then.

"The Prince is ready if you are" he said, looking at Evelyn and she nodded shakily, unbelieving of what was happening. She stepped forward and was led to a doorway. "He is awaiting your arrival in there" Michaels said, nodding towards the door.

With that, the cadet reached out and opened the heavy doors, revealing Evelyn to Prince Adrian for the first time that evening. Her breath caught in her throat at the sight of him in his attire and she stood rooted in place, in a sudden bout of shyness.
 
Adrian had changed into his white formal suit with the Blue striping down the side and a red sash belt. He had been patiently waiting for his sisters to finish with his date for the past half hour ever since Michaels had informed him that he had dropped her off with them. He had finished dressing and hurried over. Of course he should not have bothered hurrying as a woman always needed a long time to get ready. His mother and sisters had tried to explain it to him but he still didn't understand.

Finally the door opened and a vision entered the room. She stopped just inside and looked at him and he became very self conscious. Did he look funny or out of place. He was not used to wearing clothes like this or escorting beautiful women to balls. He approached her timidly and looked her over. "You look absolutely stunning. I see my sisters actually kept their word for once." He smiled at her and bowed. "Oh where are my manners, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Adrian. Well technically it is Crown Prince Adrian but I never use that first part so please just call me Adrian. I never did catch your name."
 
Evelyn looked up to see the Prince standing before her, looking absolutely gorgeous in a white formal outfit complete with the nations colors as accents. Her hand trembled slightly and she clutched it in a fist to try and make it stop. The prince slowly approached almost as if nervous which made her want to giggle hysterically. Why on earth would the prince be nervous about her?

He bowed and introduced himself. Evelyn blushed a lovely shade of pink as he called her stunning. Never had she been called that.

"My name is Evelyn" she said softly, curtsying politely to Adrian. "I was quite shocked to see you in the parade today. I apologize for having no idea when we were in the woods" she said. "And I was even more surprised when you invited me here for this" she admitted.

Her stunning green eyes gazed up into his and she smiled shyly. "I've never in my life worn such fine things" she admitted with a small laugh.
 
"Then we will have to change that because they look great on you," he replied with a smile of his own. "Now Evelyn would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the ball?" he asked holding out his arm.

He waited until she took it then led her down several hallways chatting with her about the paintings of several people that they passed. "Oh yes that was great uncle Percy, died fighting in the war. Oh that one I believe she was my great great great grandmother Queen Mary. One of the first women to rule the land."

Finally they made it too the grand staircase where his sisters were waiting. They examined them together and smiled. "Oh yes you two look wonderful together, we knew you would. Now we can go down together but let us enter first and then you two can." They made their way down and a few stragglers turned to look at them and more than a few gasps went up at the sight of the four of them. Finally they made it to the entrance to the Ball room and everyone parted to allow them through.The master of ceremonies announced his sisters clearly.
"Their royal Princesses Lady Kayla and Lady Samantha."
They strode proudly in like the owned the place and all eyes turned to them as people bowed or curtsied.
Adrian stepped forward and whispered to him and his eyebrows actually shot up as he turned and he smiled and nodded. Adrian stepped back and took Evelyn's arm again and whispered to her "Well here we go."

Again that voice rang out "His Royal highness Prince Adrian and Evelyn." There were some gasps as it was announced Adrian actually had a date to the ball and more so as he began to stride into the room with Evelyn by his side. He began the long walk towards his parents thrones.
 
Evelyn had never been so terrified in her life. And yet she was also more excited than ever as well. She was walking into the royal ball on the arm of Prince Adrian, himself. How had this happened? It seemed so surreal. It surely must be a dream. She focused on making sure she didn't trip or do something embarrassing or silly. All eyes were on them and she heard murmurs from all around.

Out in the crowd she caught a glimpse of her family, but stayed focused on their apparent destination. The thrones where the King and Queen sat.

"Oh, God" she murmured nervously and her arm unintentionally tightened around Adrian's. She wasn't used to this kind of stuff. Meeting the King and Queen, face to face? Lord, please don't let her make a food of herself, she thought.

Her body trembled ever so slightly and she wondered if Adrian noticed. She hoped not. She didn't want him to think she wasn't having a good time, she was... it was just all so much in such a little span of time.

They approached the throne and Evelyn followed Adrian's lead, bowing before the King and Queen. She knew soon it would be time for the first dance, which was always done by the King, Queen, their children and their children's dates. Suddenly Evelyn was EXTREMELY grateful for the dance lessons her mother had given her as a child. She had never wanted to learn, but her mother had made her, saying you never knew when you would need to know it... turned out she was right.
 
Adrian felt Evelyn shaking beside him and clutched her arm a little tighter supporting her. They bowed to his parents and then moved to the side. They only had to wait on his Brother now and then would come the dancing. This would be the first time he actually danced with someone his own age. He normally danced with his younger sisters so they didn't feel left out, but tonight he would be dancing with Evelyn.

Finally they announced his brother and his fiancee. "The crown prince Henry and his wife to be princess Lilandra."

As they walked down the middle of the floor there was a ripple effect as everyone bowed and curtsied. Even Adrian gave a polite bow as they passed. He took Evelyn a little way down the line and whispered in her ear, "I did forget to ask you, but can you dance? If not just follow my lead and we will stay out of the spotlight. people don't expect much of me anyway," he chuckled.

As the music started he led her out onto the dance floor but stayed near the edge. Then they began to dance. At first they were tentative as they got to know each other, but soon the were swirling around the dance floor lost in the music and each other. He stared into her eyes and allowed the music to guide his feet. Lessons learned long ago came back to him and with Evelyn in his arms it was like a dream. Finally the music stopped and so did they.
 
Evelyn took a deep breath as Adrian led her out onto the dance floor. Her heart was beating so fast she was afraid it would fly from her chest. But she kept a smile planted firmly in place, and when they began to dance, it didn't take long at all before she and Adrian were twirling around like they had danced together for all of their lives.

Evelyn's eyes remained focused solely on Adrian as they moved about the floor, a picture of grace and beauty together. The dress twirled about her like none she had ever owned and she looked like she absolutely belonged out there among all of the royal family, to anyone who didn't know her.

Finally the music stopped, and they came to a halt on the dance floor. Evelyn was breathless in a good way as she stared up at Adrian, wide eyed and smiling.

"You're an amazing dancer" she said softly, unsure of what was to come next.
 
"You're an amazing dancer" she said softly, unsure of what was to come next.

"I think that has more to do with my partner than anything to do with me," Adrian replied a little short of breath. He saw the look of puzzlement in her eyes as she looked around and leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Ahh I usually don't do this next bit but for the next few dances we are supposed to remain out here and swap partners with the other members of the royal family. For me that means for the first time I will be dancing with my older sisters, my brothers fiancee and my mother. For you well... I guess you get to meet my family," he grinned sheepishly.

The music started to play again and he swept her back into the middle of the dance floor where the rest of his family was already gathered and dancing easily. At some sort of prearranged signal his father bowed to his wife and moved over to his eldest sons fiancee. Taking the hint Adrian smiled at Evelyn and brought her hand up to his mouth and kissed it.
"Good luck my dear. I will see you in a little while."
Adrian bowed and moved off to find Kayla. He hoped Evelyn survived this. God he hoped he did. He was sure his mother was going to give him an earful.
 
Evelyn felt like she could drop dead of embarrassment right then and there. She had to dance with everybody else now too?? His father? The KING? Her heart beat rapidly and she took a deep, shaky breath.

Soon enough she was being passed from man to man, putting on a smile and introducing herself to everyone. Nobody mentioned how she had landed an invitation from Prince Adrian to this event. Until the King.

She had never been more nervous in her life as when she moved to dance with him. She bowed graciously to him, and he her, then they began to move.

"So... how did you meet my son?" the King asked her. "I have never heard him mention a lady, or anyone coming with him as a guest to this ball".

Evelyn felt her face grow bright red.

"I... Well, sir..." she began. "I was in the woods a few days ago when your son happened to save me from a Dire Wolf that was set on hunting. He got injured and I helped him to clean the wound and bandage. I had no idea who he was until I saw him in the parade today" she explained softly. "This invitation was as much a surprise for me as for anyone else, I assure you", she said.

The King considered and nodded, apparently satisfied. "Well enjoy" the King said before, thankfully, Evelyn was passed back into Adrian's arms. She almost sank against him in relief.
 
"Well I see by your expression you got asked how we met by my father. I hope he wasn't too bad. My mother was a little more pushy I bet."

Adrian put on a falsetto voice and began whispering as they danced. "How did you meet? How old is the girl? Does she come from a good family? Do we know them? Yes she is beautiful, but that's not everything. Can she cook?," He switched back to his normal voice and looked at her trying to keep a straight face. " I swear if she wasn't my mother I wouldn't know why I put up with the woman." He finally couldn't hold back and giggled a little.

"Luckily for you my sister's seem to approve of you and wonder how on earth I managed to find someone like you. Even my brothers Fiancee seems to find you intriguing, a minor miracle in itself. Normally it is all about her and her upcoming wedding. However there is one more person I must introduce you to and I guess you must impress. We will have to wait until the dancing is over though. Luckily our duties say we can take a break after one more song."
 
Evelyn couldn't help but laugh at Adrian talking about all the women in his life. She was perfectly content once again, being held in Adrian's arm, spinning around the dance floor. She wondered who else she must still meet and looked at him inquisitively, but he seemed not ready to tell her yet.

"I really am glad my mother made me take dancing lessons when I was a child" Evelyn joked with Adrian, her face lit up beautifully with joy as they moved in each others' arms.

"I would never have been able to accept your invitation if she hadn't... I wouldn't have known what to do" she laughed softly.
 
As the song ended Adrian drew her aside and laughed with her. "Then remind me to thank her as well. Your parents are here tonight aren't they? I hope so because if your mother dances half as well as you I plan to dance with her if your father will let me."

Walking her over to the refreshment area he got her a small glass of fruit punch and then led her towards a group of girls who were watching the dancers with envious eyes. All seemed to be aged around twelve years old or there a bouts. The oldest was maybe fourteen. Adrian led her up to a girl and bowed to her "Emily may I introduce my date for this evening, Evelyn. Evelyn my sister Emily. You may have seen her riding with me at the front of the parade. I am afraid you must get my sisters approval to date me Evelyn. She has been my official bodyguard since she was 5 years old and takes her position very seriously. However Emily I must point out that Evelyn is the one that patched me up after my battle with the Dire Wolf and enabled me to make it home. I shall leave you ladies to talk. I believe I have several dances I must fulfill."

All the girls gave little squeals and followed him to the edge of the dancefloor where he took one girl by the hand, bowed and elegantly swirled her easily onto the floor.

Emily watched for a minute then turned to Evelyn. "I know my brother seems like he was teasing but I do feel like I have to look after him. He has looked after me my whole life. I am the youngest, but he has made time for me and has indulged my whims. I wanted to learn how to ride and fight like the soldiers and it was Adrian that taught me. I can outride and outfight most of the cadets entering the army this year and they are two years older than me. I know how you met. My brother speaks highly of you and by watching you I know you are not out to snare yourself a Prince. Treat him well Evelyn because he may sound bold and brash but it's an act. He has never had anyone his own age show the slightest interest in him. His nickname is the King of the Kids and you can see why. We love him because he see's us and has time for us. He is here with you but still he keeps his promise's to dance with each of those girls. Look over there though," and she indicated a group of girls aged from fifteen to eighteen. " A few years ago those girls were all over my brother. Now they look for husbands. Ah I see your confusion, what is wrong with a Prince? My Brother is the second in line and as tradition dictates he has made the military his life. He was fortunate, he is good at it and he loves it. It is also peaceful right now, but if war happens who wants to be married to a man that has to go off and leave them behind to raise the family. Do you see why he is avoided. Normally he would have an arranged marriage but he has refused so..."
 
Evelyn listened intently as Emily spoke of her brother. It was obvious that she thought very highly of her older brother, and Evelyn could completely understand why. Adrian seemed to be a very admirable sort of person... and Emily was right, Evelyn had a hard time imagining why he was single. Even as Emily explained it, Evelyn couldn't fathom it.

"I'm not sure I agree with your view on why he isn't married" Evelyn said with a smile to soften her disagreement. "I, myself, feel like being married to a man brave enough, and strong enough to fight for his country would be an honor. A woman, of course, would have to be strong enough to keep the household alone while he was gone, but I believe that is totally possible." She shut her lips. She didn't want to offend the young girl.

"Your brother seems to be incredibly kind, and every girl here seems to dote on him. I believe any woman lucky enough to be married to someone with a heart like that", she nodded towards Adrian who was spinning around with yet another young girl, "would be the luckiest girl to ever step foot on this Earth".
 
Adrian was dancing with the girls as usual. He hoped Evelyn didn't mind but he had promised the ladies he would and he knew that each year they looked forward to it. He also knew that come their fifteenth or sixteenth birthday they would be subtly steered away from him and over to the older ladies group. He still caught some of the younger ones wistfully looking his way as he danced with their younger sisters or their friends but their mothers hovered around them and they had no chance to escape. He would laugh if it wasn't so pathetic, but he would treat the girls like the princesses they were before their parents remembered they had them.

Finally his dance card was fulfilled and he returned to his sister and Evelyn. "Well sister mine are you ready to scandalize everyone for another year and dance with me again?" he chuckled.
Emily returned his laughter but shook her head. "As much as I want to big brother I think you have ignored your date for the evening a might too much. Why do you not take her for another dance. I will forgive you this once for not dancing with me but you will be training with me extra hard over the next week."
Adrian nodded and smiled at his sister then held his hand out to Evelyn. "Then shall we my dear? After all with all due respect to my sister I have never danced with anyone quite like you before. But afterwards you must introduce me to your family."
 
Back
Top