Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some money-minder political buffoon want to "alter" our local library.
As usual, they ain't got a clue. . .

Some money-minder political buffoon want to "alter" our local library.
As usual, they ain't got a clue. . .

Where is Andrew Carnegie when you need him? His money provided more libraries in the UK than any government body.

A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, Mauritius and Fiji.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_library

A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, Mauritius and Fiji.

I grew up in one outside Los Angeles. As in, if I wasn't at home, school, or swimming, I was in the local Carnegie library. I gained an ADULT card at age 12. I was in heaven. I could (and did) check out not only any book in the place, but also records, films, paintings - envisage the tall skinny middle-school kid pedaling home with a few artworks in the bicycle basket. And records of plays and poetry readings. And 16mm film reels. Yes, I had my own art-house cinema.

But I digress. Carnegie libraries became my home-away-from-home in many time and places in my life, spots of solace in a grim world. Yes, I can access far more material where I am right now, reclining in a couch with a 12.5" ThinkPad in my lap, safe in my day-room surrounded by bookshelves, wall art, guitars and lutes, weavings; and the refrigerator is only 3 yards away. But a Carnegie library environment is just so rich...

I grew up in one outside Los Angeles. As in, if I wasn't at home, school, or swimming, I was in the local Carnegie library. I gained an ADULT card at age 12. I was in heaven. I could (and did) check out not only any book in the place, but also records, films, paintings - envisage the tall skinny middle-school kid pedaling home with a few artworks in the bicycle basket. And records of plays and poetry readings. And 16mm film reels. Yes, I had my own art-house cinema.

But I digress. Carnegie libraries became my home-away-from-home in many time and places in my life, spots of solace in a grim world. Yes, I can access far more material where I am right now, reclining in a couch with a 12.5" ThinkPad in my lap, safe in my day-room surrounded by bookshelves, wall art, guitars and lutes, weavings; and the refrigerator is only 3 yards away. But a Carnegie library environment is just so rich...

So, must still be worth a visit sometime, eh? Even a nostalgic trip (physical not mental) ...

:( The beginning of my weekend:

Friday afternoon . . . a trip to ER for more tests in the search for a cause to the extreme shortness of breath and chest discomfort I’ve been dealing with for three weeks

Friday night . . . a transfer to a larger hospital with a cardiac care unit for evaluation and tests

Saturday morning . . . a stress test, scans, blood tests, etc., with all results negative

What I learned . . . I have an aortic aneurysm. (Results from the CT done at ER)

Friday afternoon . . . a trip to ER for more tests in the search for a cause to the extreme shortness of breath and chest discomfort I’ve been dealing with for three weeks

Friday night . . . a transfer to a larger hospital with a cardiac care unit for evaluation and tests

Saturday morning . . . a stress test, scans, blood tests, etc., with all results negative

What I learned . . . I have an aortic aneurysm. (Results from the CT done at ER)

Well please don't go doing anything more stressful than breathing.
I hope & trust medical science will come to your aid - real soon. :rose::rose::rose:

Look after yourself and tread very carefully until the medics have sorted you out.

:rose::rose::rose::rose: x 3

I would have used the heart smilie, but that didn't seem appropriate until your heart is ready to smile again.

Og

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back