Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
CassidyCaine
Virgin
 
CassidyCaine is offline
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Replying to feedback

I was wondering what other authors do when they get feedback e-mailed to them with the person's registered email. Do you respond or just let it go? Do readers expect to be emailed back after submitting feedback or do they think it anonymous? I'm not sure if the readers who dropped me the feedback did so because I didn't realize I had to turn on PMs until a week in. I ask because those feedback submissions really got me through my first week here when the nasty comments quickly started flowing in which amounted to 'you suck, stop writing'. Just wondering if it's ok to let them know how appreciative I am of their feedback but don't want to freak anyone out if it's normally not expected.

Thanks,
Cassidy
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 31,496
I respond to all of them. If the comment is kind of generic, "Think your stuff is hot" I reply with a standard, "Thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoy my work."

If its a detailed remark about story I will reply to their remark. I do this whether it is a good comment or a critique. If I disagree with the critique I will politely make my point or agree if I feel it was fair.

As for utter nastiness I don't reply, but it is rare to get a "fuck off and die" comment with an e-mail those are usually anonymous(of course)

One thing I find kind of surprising-and disappointing- is how many people I reply to come back and say how few authors respond to them, Most authors are here looking for feedback and ask for it so I would think they would like to converse with their fans.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Serafina1210
Literotica Guru
 
Serafina1210's Avatar
 
Serafina1210 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyCaine View Post
I was wondering what other authors do when they get feedback e-mailed to them with the person's registered email. Do you respond or just let it go? Do readers expect to be emailed back after submitting feedback or do they think it anonymous? I'm not sure if the readers who dropped me the feedback did so because I didn't realize I had to turn on PMs until a week in. I ask because those feedback submissions really got me through my first week here when the nasty comments quickly started flowing in which amounted to 'you suck, stop writing'. Just wondering if it's ok to let them know how appreciative I am of their feedback but don't want to freak anyone out if it's normally not expected.

Thanks,
Cassidy
People can send feedback either anonymously or not. So yeah, if the feedback isn't anonymous, it's nice to send back a note of thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,143
I respond to e-mailed comments. There's no telling what the motivations are for an individual reader who posts or sends comments, though.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
squirrelzo
Really Experienced
 
squirrelzo's Avatar
 
squirrelzo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 178
I think its only polite to respond to legit feedback. I always do. If they took the time, why shouldn't you? But if its only someone wanting to be my Daddy, I won't.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Vanadorn
Master and Commander
 
Vanadorn's Avatar
 
Vanadorn is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,434
I always reply to private feedback - whoever it was took the time out to write it to me and did so in a private/personal manner. Just like we like getting comments, they like being acknowledged.

-V
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 31,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelzo View Post
I think its only polite to respond to legit feedback. I always do. If they took the time, why shouldn't you? But if its only someone wanting to be my Daddy, I won't.
Sigh, sorry I won't e-mail you anymore.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..
 
StrangeLife's Avatar
 
StrangeLife is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: All over the place
Posts: 3,670
I write for my own enjoyment - the readers can take it or leave it as far as I am concerned.

However I have come to appreciate and learned a lot from the feed-back, so I have become a lot more responsive to my readers over time and usually reply.
__________________
.

My strange stories on Literotica.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television
 
Hypoxia's Avatar
 
Hypoxia is offline
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Llareggub, just around the corner
Posts: 16,429
I've only received a little PM or EM feedback. Of COURSE they all deserve a response! I respond to many story/poem comments, too. There's little enough dialog between authors and readers -- it should be encouraged.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Jae_Summers
Really Really Experienced
 
Jae_Summers is offline
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
Of course

When somebody sends a private feedback with their personal email id, they are sending it with the hopes of getting a reply from the author.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
squirrelzo
Really Experienced
 
squirrelzo's Avatar
 
squirrelzo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 178
LOL I knew it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
Sigh, sorry I won't e-mail you anymore.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #12
JAMESBJOHNSON
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
I respond to all of them. If the comment is kind of generic, "Think your stuff is hot" I reply with a standard, "Thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoy my work."

If its a detailed remark about story I will reply to their remark. I do this whether it is a good comment or a critique. If I disagree with the critique I will politely make my point or agree if I feel it was fair.

As for utter nastiness I don't reply, but it is rare to get a "fuck off and die" comment with an e-mail those are usually anonymous(of course)

One thing I find kind of surprising-and disappointing- is how many people I reply to come back and say how few authors respond to them, Most authors are here looking for feedback and ask for it so I would think they would like to converse with their fans.
Bull shit. You don't respond to all comments.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
StrangeLife
Literotica... something..
 
StrangeLife's Avatar
 
StrangeLife is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: All over the place
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae_Summers View Post
When somebody sends a private feedback with their personal email id, they are sending it with the hopes of getting a reply from the author.
Good point... although I frequently get feedback with suggestions that I perform certain anatomically impossible acts involving my mother, a bunch of farm-animals or both. I have replied in kind to a few, but generally I don't really sense a desire for a closer dialog behind them...
__________________
.

My strange stories on Literotica.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #14
JWren
Still scribbling
 
JWren is offline
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyCaine View Post
I was wondering what other authors do when they get feedback e-mailed to them with the person's registered email. Do you respond or just let it go? Do readers expect to be emailed back after submitting feedback or do they think it anonymous? I'm not sure if the readers who dropped me the feedback did so because I didn't realize I had to turn on PMs until a week in. I ask because those feedback submissions really got me through my first week here when the nasty comments quickly started flowing in which amounted to 'you suck, stop writing'. Just wondering if it's ok to let them know how appreciative I am of their feedback but don't want to freak anyone out if it's normally not expected.

Thanks,
Cassidy
I always respond, except for Anon. And I also believe in contacting those writers who have provided me with special enjoyment via their submissions. Writing is a lonely business and personal feedback is welcome contact: at least someone out there is reading my efforts!
__________________
Happiness is all in the mind

There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bread but there are many more dying for a little love - Mother Teresa


Link to stories:
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 37,975
I do try to respond if I see the comment within a couple of days of its arrival.

But I don't always check my personal page for alerts, particularly if I'm away, and I can miss them. I can't see the point of responding weeks later. I did, once, and the commentor's response was "Did I say that? I can't remember commenting.".

I would like to respond to all, but with over 200 posted stories, I can and do miss new comments. Jeanne_D_Artois is even worse than me. She doesn't check her own page more than once a month unless she has posted a new story.

Apologies if I haven't responded. I appreciate (most) comments.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,349
As lovecraft68 says, I respond to say thanks, and I also answer any questions or respond to observations. It doesn't take long, and if someone took the time to read and then send the email with their opinions, I don't mind a quick reply.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
oggbashan
Ancient writer
 
oggbashan's Avatar
 
oggbashan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Facing the sea.
Posts: 37,975
There are comments, and there is feedback sent to my email address.

My post above related to comments - which I don't necessarily see in a reasonable time. Since I wrote the post above I found a comment I had never read from 2012.

Feedback to my email address I try to respond to, but with caution. One apparent email address wasn't - it was a link to an infested site disguised as an email address.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Roleplay_LouiseUk
Really Really Experienced
 
Roleplay_LouiseUk's Avatar
 
Roleplay_LouiseUk is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Essex,UK
Posts: 321
Feedback.

Whenever I get feedback I always reply either on here or to my private email address. Some people have also gave me ideas on what to do and others I have explained I will not explore that much of a darker fantasy which I am happy to say people have respected that.
__________________
RoleplayQueen aka Lou
Incest and Rape Type Roles will be shredded on your way through the door, thank you

Stories that have published to Lit:

http://www.literotica.com/s/strangers-in-paradise-1

literotica.com/s/my-office-fantasy

http://www.literotica.com/s/disrespectful

www.literotica.com/s/strangers-in-paradise-ch-02

www.literotica.com/s/strangers-in-paradise-ch-03

Feedback is welcomed
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
3113
Hello Summer!
 
3113's Avatar
 
3113 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pluto
Posts: 13,823
Ditto to all the rest. If someone takes the time to send feedback to my actual e-mail, rather than at the end of the story, and if they provide a return e-mail addie (which the rude ones never do), then I'll happily reply to to them.They may not be expecting a reply, but they're likely hoping for one.
__________________
3113

  Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #20
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru
 
Desiremakesmeweak is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mostly Australia
Posts: 1,419
I absolutely always reply to emailed feedback no matter what.

Until it ever becomes physically impossible for me to do it - way too many emails, something like that - then I will continue to do it.

I try to diffuse any over-the-top negative comments, if they turn up. I'm not a distant person, definitely not distant to anyone who can also write, even if these are 'just' comments or advice, because essentially, I am writing for 'readers;' for readers to actually enjoy what I'm writing.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #21
49greg
Literotica Hack
 
49greg's Avatar
 
49greg is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae_Summers View Post
When somebody sends a private feedback with their personal email id, they are sending it with the hopes of getting a reply from the author.
If I remember correctly, the form for sending feedback says something like, "Put your email address down if you want an answer." It has a specific area just for email address. So I assume anyone sending a return address is hoping for an answer.

I sometimes use it to tell an author that I really enjoyed his/her work. Sometimes I pester them by asking for a sequel.

I love getting feedback and I think I've answered every one that I have got that included an address. Heck, there's been a few times recently that I've sent feedback to readers who made a public comment. I don't imagine they expected that, but I've always been polite when I did it, apologized for sending it, just saying I appreciated them taking the time to read and comment sort of thing. It doesn't take a lot of time to send a short email.

But then I don't get a lot of comments or feedback. I generally check my Lit email address each weekday. Usually it's empty.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
soflabbwlvr
Prescription Strength
 
soflabbwlvr's Avatar
 
soflabbwlvr is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Twenty minutes away
Posts: 3,729
Until recently, I have always replied to private feedback with an e-mail included. Even when it was negative, I replied. That string came to an end last month. The private feedback started out complimenting the story, but then devolved into a series of 'suggestions" that would have made the story better. Those suggestions including introducing new characters, changing the relationships of the characters that I created, changing the central conflict, and essentially turning it into a story that would have belonged in an entirely different category.

I had nothing to say to that person.
__________________
Too much is still not enough

Black Cock Friday

Deep Undercover
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
49greg
Literotica Hack
 
49greg's Avatar
 
49greg is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflabbwlvr View Post
Until recently, I have always replied to private feedback with an e-mail included. Even when it was negative, I replied. That string came to an end last month. The private feedback started out complimenting the story, but then devolved into a series of 'suggestions" that would have made the story better. Those suggestions including introducing new characters, changing the relationships of the characters that I created, changing the central conflict, and essentially turning it into a story that would have belonged in an entirely different category.

I had nothing to say to that person.
I've had that kind of thing, but not nearly so bad, and except once, always from Mr. Anon. The one that did go into detail was a request for a custom story, based on mine, but different, completely different. I thanked her, but declined.

I think you, soflabbwlvr, gave me a very instructive feedback for one of my first stories. I can't remember if it was an email or a public comment, but it was really concise, told me what worked for you and what didn't in the story, and complemented my effort. It was really heartening. More so in retrospect. Thank you.

I value feedback from authors much more than any others, whether positive or negative. So far, infrequent as it has been, feedback from authors has been more objective than the normal run-of-the-mill, "I loved it," or "I hated it," or "You sick SOB you should kill yourself," comments I usually get.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
49greg
Literotica Hack
 
49greg's Avatar
 
49greg is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
I do try to respond if I see the comment within a couple of days of its arrival.

But I don't always check my personal page for alerts, particularly if I'm away, and I can miss them. I can't see the point of responding weeks later. I did, once, and the commentor's response was "Did I say that? I can't remember commenting.".

.....

Apologies if I haven't responded. I appreciate (most) comments.
I know what you mean, I read for years before I ever submitted a story, and it was really embarrassing to get a response to a feedback I sent and not remembering it or not recognizing who sent it or for what story.

So I try to remember, when sending a response, to include the name of the story, my Lit ID and a copy and paste of the comment they sent. And when sending a comment I also mention the story name.

I think if I ever didn't get to a comment for more than a few weeks, I would probably do much as you do. I just don't have that many stories up. Yet.

Do any other authors keep a file of all their feedbacks? I've done that since day one, but since I have never opened that folder to re-read anything, I've persuaded myself to delete it, one of these days.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #25
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 51,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49greg View Post
Do any other authors keep a file of all their feedbacks? I've done that since day one, but since I have never opened that folder to re-read anything, I've persuaded myself to delete it, one of these days.
Not me. I'm not really all that interested in developing my writing toward what anyone else thinks it should be. So, I'm more geared to feedback on how the story made the reader feel (and not all of my stories are constructed to evoke the same feeling each time) than how I could have constructed the story to please them personally. I keep the messages in the e-mail backlog for a couple of years in case they connect with something I'm receiving now, but they rarely do.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.