Movies!

Watched Kill the Messenger with Jeremy Renner.
A journalist that crosses the cia while investigating drug deals that lead him to drug funds sent to support Nicaraguan rebels.
Good flick.

Sami Blood.

It's about a young Sami girl who struggles with her identity in the 30s. A really good movie.

Samis are the indigenous people of Lapland, and their treatment has been and still is unfair, to put it very mildly. The movie is set in the 30s, but even in the 70s the Sami kids were still sent to boarding schools where they were forbidden to ever speak their own languages etc. The situation with the Sami people here is very complex and Finland as a state is being as shitty as can get.

I've been recently thinking a lot about racism and reducing people to one trait instead of seeing them as a person, so it was a very good timing to catch the movie today.

Watched The Public about a downtown library during a freezing spell with not enough homeless shelters and making a statement about what is needed and what is right.

Enjoing the new season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and the new show What We Do in the Shadows.

I recently got round to watching The Terror, an early Jack Nicholson classic featuring the master of horror himself, Boris Karloff. I could watch that man read the phone book. The film itself can be recommended for it's atmosphere if not the raggedy, cobbled together plot.

Enjoing the new season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and the new show What We Do in the Shadows.

I thought the 'What we do in the shadows' movie was a stroke of subtle, low-budget genius. If you ask me, stretching the concept out into a tv show is almost criminal.

s8v4Fpd.gif

Last edited:
Loving the new season of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Not sure about Black Summer yet.

Enjoying Game of Thrones so far.

Enjoyed the first Gentleman Jack.

Not sure about Fosse / Verdon.

Gave up on A Discovery of Witches the chemistry just wasn't there.

Right?

Loved them!

Cried a lot during the lumber jack baby lesbian one but then again I'd had a hellish day at work and was exhausted. Exhaustion makes me cry sometimes and also make up words or refuse to talk. Lolz

How could you not like the Jones BBQ sisters???

Finished Black Summer and I'm still not sure what I think of it. Hmm.

LOVED Rocketman! So glad I didn't listen to the BBC movie critic on this one.

The Kid Who Would Be King was just so / so for me. I will say the creepy parts seemed a bit much for a child.

I went to see Booksmart and absolutely loved it. It was funny and well made and I laughed way too much during the pizza guy scene. And of course I had to try the hair mask thing as soon as possible... :D

I was sure the audience would be teenyboppers and me, which of course would have been no problem because I'm so used to hanging with teenyboppers now that I'm practically one of them, but actually most of the people there were around my age or older.

Rocketman

Really wanted to live this movie. I've been anticipating it for months, and recently went one of Elton's' farewell shows.

Unfortunately it was more of a bad Broadway musical, put songs out of timeline sequence & basically ignored his life after 1983. It seemed to be more about his looking back on his life while he was in rehab, and focused mainly on his relationship with his parents, drugs/alcohol & being gay. I was hoping to see his story with Ryan Whie, his AIDs foundation, Princess Diana and him being happy with his life.

I thought Taron did a good job at singing the songs & Matthew Illesley was great as young Reggie, but overall this film left a lot to be desired.

Really wanted to live this movie. I've been anticipating it for months, and recently went one of Elton's' farewell shows.

Unfortunately it was more of a bad Broadway musical, put songs out of timeline sequence & basically ignored his life after 1983. It seemed to be more about his looking back on his life while he was in rehab, and focused mainly on his relationship with his parents, drugs/alcohol & being gay. I was hoping to see his story with Ryan Whie, his AIDs foundation, Princess Diana and him being happy with his life.

I thought Taron did a good job at singing the songs & Matthew Illesley was great as young Reggie, but overall this film left a lot to be desired.

My friend saw this today. Much the same reaction.

Recently re-watched Armando Iannucci's The Death of Stalin, a hilarious dark comedic take on the aftermath of the death of, you guessed it.

Besides making you laugh like a drain at things you really shouldn't be laughing at it's also a brilliant study in power vacuums and the desperate and ridiculous things people do to fill them.

Do yourself a favour and watch it, it's great.

Last edited:
Binge watched Good Omen's yesterday. Thanks to xtains that can get right what network it's on and are trying to get it taken down. Loved it!

Ooh! I want to see that one! Glad it was fun!

I went to see Booksmart and absolutely loved it. It was funny and well made and I laughed way too much during the pizza guy scene. And of course I had to try the hair mask thing as soon as possible... :D

I was sure the audience would be teenyboppers and me, which of course would have been no problem because I'm so used to hanging with teenyboppers now that I'm practically one of them, but actually most of the people there were around my age or older.

I see what you are saying. I did want more about his love and the later part of his life. But I do adore rock musicals too. Lucky you seeing him on his farewell tour. I was working when he came to my town and missed a friends post about having an extra ticket that night! Ouch!

Might look it up.

Recently re-watched Armando Iannucci's The Death of Stalin, a hilarious dark comedic take on the aftermath of the death of, you guessed it.

Besides making you laugh like a drain at things you really shouldn't be laughing at it's also a brilliant study in power vacuums and the desperate and ridiculous things people do to fill them.

Do yourself a favour and watch it, it's great.

I watched Three Identical Strangers, which was a very interesting documentary about identical triplets being adopted and only finding out at age 19 they actually had two brothers each. Good conversations about ethics and the nature of identity ensued after, good stuff.

Sorry To Bother You was a scary and very on point look into our life and society right now. I'm still processing it. Even the completely surreal and absurd parts of it kinda strike a chord hard core. What would you be willing to sell to succeed? That's a very good question, actually.

I'd recommend both of these, but the latter might be more challenging to get into because of the style.

I went to see Ad Astra yesterday, and I have very mixed feelings. It could have been really good, but it was just a weird Mashup of two very different genres instead. There were some really beautiful scenes in it though, and I think Pitt was great in his role for the most part. But some things about it just felt completely strange and not fitting to the overall theme at all. Not to mention the whole premise of Pitt's space ride felt pretty pointless.

It had such beautiful moments and it had potential, but... I don't know.

Has anyone else seen it already?

I'm still processing, may need to see a second time, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'm about 90% sure that it's going to be seen as one of the best movies of the year but then I could be completely off my nut here.

Anyone else with an opinion?

Finally saw The Art of Racing in the Rain which is one of my all time fav books. Enjoyed it but at the time my adult child was being held from me in a mental ward. So the child custody and withholding really hit me horribly. Also, the death of the dog always seemed kind of triumphant to me as to the reincarnation and getting thumbs in the book but in the movie I was much more sad about it. I think if I had been home I would have ugly cried for a long time and I think I need that.

My best to you, Fury.
To watch your child suffer through mental illness is a helpless feeling.

Watched Late Night recently really enjoyed it. It was good to watch something in it with Mindy Kaling because I read a book by them recently. To see them do what they do on the screen was filling in certain pieces of the puzzle.

Back