Taking your writing too far


...wait, he murdered his wife and only spent 3 years in jail for it? :-(

And then there's Anne Perry, who did her murdering first and became a crime writer later.

That's not murder, it's research! :p

Or marketing.
 
I learned early on to never write down anything I did while in the service.

Although I did have this little not book to write my windage and elevation used as well as mil-dots and leads. But never what I was shooting at.

My reports,which were detailed, were classified above top secret and no, I'm not a pilot alt. In all I only had 20 missions.
 
For most of my career in intelligence, my basic job was working with open sources--and I tucked away everything going by that would make a good story. My first six pen name books came directly out of my center drawer and so have many of my subsequent stories, mainstream and erotica. I kept the clippings to prove that the story, no matter how intel operations centered it was, was provided in open sources and thus was open for grabs. I learned not to take the writing too far with the first six books, which had to go through censure review. Later, when I was editing books in the mainstream, I became part of this review process, so I learned where the edges were.
 
Last edited:
You'll note she wrote how to murder your husband, not how to get away with murdering your husband. Big difference.
 
Um... yikes.

On the other hand, I no longer feel guilty about asking my husband if I could give him a foot job because I wanted to write it into a story. At least I didn't murder him, right?
 
Well, I'm writing a series called The Great Khan, so apparently conquering Eurasia and slaughtering millions is on my horizon.

Guess I'd better cancel my Battletech game this weekend... :/
 
I took my research into the world of sounding (I have written that up here under sr71plt). I don't think you can take your research into writing much farther/deeper than that.
 
I had to look that up (sounding), and then it gave me a very uneasy feeling; much stronger than the murder-stories had done previously...

I crossed my legs and I don't even have a penis.
 
Although not like some of the examples quoted here, British crime writer Agatha Christie set off a mystery of her own in 1926 when she vanished from her home, and was eventually found 2 weeks later in a hotel in Yorkshire. I seem to recall reading that she was suffering some type of amnesia at the time of the incident.
 
I obviously spent far too long considering this thread today, but it seems that the authors who do eventually murder their spouses have their fictional protagonists evade capture/conviction.

As such, if you're the partner of a crime-writing author, you only need to worry if their criminals get away with their dastardly deeds.
 
Back
Top