Bitching about Boston

The ad for a local TV investigation, was aired during SNL. What is the issue, at the center of the investigation ? The meter maids are giving cars tickets, before the parking meter runs out.

The fines for empty meters were raised this summer.

Hank Phillippi Ryan is promising to give interviews to Boston consumers.

Every bedroom-town surrounding Boston (city), proper, has installed new electronic parking meters.

gsgs comment- When the budget runs out of money for raises, for our lovely Boston city government, big, heavy metal things get sent to the junkman/metal recycler.

The old, big, tough, un-movable meters were removed. The heavy, strong, un-movable park benches were removed, the gigantic, bomb safe, pedestrian protective, wrought iron trash receptacles were removed. We have new, light, electronic trash receptacles.

Then, again, the plows destroy everything during big snow storms. Including the roads.

:eek:
 
THE ART + SCIENCE + TECHNOLOGY FESTIVAL

Hub Week 2018 has come and gone

Attendees from 59 countries, 46 states and 38 industries

https://hubweek.org/#overview


Ed McDonough
@Digucator

Come on down to Boston City Hall Plaza for the Robot Block Party, @HUBweek in the Hall of the Future. @CantonRobodogs

1:30 PM · Oct 14, 2018 from Boston, MA
 
Head of the Charles will be cold and windy, this year.


Threats of snowflakes in the Berkshires.


Another mixed up, confusing Autumn.
 
Tornado Warning update extended to 4:15

Headed East and North from original location

Rotation not seen, now

Pretty much expired

Might spin up again

Franklin Mansfield Norton Taunton still under threat of severe storm

Tornado Warning in effect until 4:00 PM EDT. Source: U.S. National Weather Service

The National Weather Service in Boston/Norton has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Southwestern Norfolk County in eastern Massachusetts...
West central Bristol County in southeastern Massachusetts...
East central Providence County in Rhode Island...

* Until 400 PM EDT.

* At 334 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over North Providence, moving northeast at 15 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.
 
Warning still up for 4:30 headed North East

rear flank down draft Norton! Stay in, it's downtown.

Norton, MA catching wind
North Attleboro has hail

Lincoln R.I. caught real tornado damage, water spout seen on Cape Cod

Yes, we have lightning.

yikes

Nothing was said, but scattered showers
 
Smaller storm system headed through Leominster, headed for New Hampshire- North of the city of Worcester-Westminster severe storm

Townsend, MA may have seen something.

Severe sudden darkness, winds, heavy rain, hail- fast, intense storm


The tornado certainly seems to like the Cape Cod Canal. Big lightning.

WTF ?

September is when you start having hurricaine parties.


Heck of a way to make people late for the Series. $350.00 for normal seats ? Everything takes 10 times the amount of money that it should.



:(
 


BOX_loop.gif



 
Cat 1, again


Very tiny village, famous because of ocean science, and gateway to President Obama's dream vacation island in MA. One golf course, on a high hill. The deck chairs went flying, because of a tornado. Hurricaines let you know when they are due to visit, ahead of time.


SNE Weather Coverage Retweeted

Eric Fisher
Eric Fisher
@ericfisher
·
1h
NEW: Tornado confirmed in Woods Hole, MA this morning, an EF-0

That makes 8 tornadoes in Massachusetts this year! Most on record (5) for the month of October as well. #wbz


4:07 PM · Oct 29, 2018


SNE Weather Coverage Retweeted

NWS Boston
NWS Boston
@NWSBoston

Here's a photo of a waterspout over Vineyard Sound at approx 950am this morning, taken from the Steamship Authority Ferry, Island Home


11:05 AM · Oct 29, 2018
 
This week's debates-

October 31, 2018

WBUR Poll: Warren Keeps Big Lead As Voters Want A Senator Who Will Stand Up To Trump

A new WBUR poll (topline results, crosstabs) finds Sen. Elizabeth Warren maintaining a big lead over her Republican rival, state Rep. Geoff Diehl, in the 2018 race for her seat.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/10/31/mass-senate-race-warren-diehl-poll


Gov. Charlie Baker (R) Is Voting For Geoff Diehl. It's His Latest Bow To The Party Of Trump

:(

Baker's hostility to health care expansion, immigration reform, green energy and progressive taxation have offered us hints of where his loyalties really lie, but his endorsement of Diehl puts those loyalties under a glaring spotlight.


http://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2018/10/18/charlie-baker-voting-for-geoff-diehl-miles-howard
 
Women for Yes on 3:

Ayanna Pressley and Sexual Assault Prevention Advocates to Launch “Not in Our Name” Campaign

October 11, 2018

The campaign will aim to directly combat the myth that dignity and safety for our transgender neighbors somehow endangers women and children.

Massachusetts Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, & Women’s Organizations- "Discrimination will not make Massachusetts safer!"


https://www.freedommassachusetts.or...advocates-to-launch-not-in-our-name-campaign/


https://www.freedommassachusetts.org/women/


gsgs comment- Why ignore cruelty, and encourage hatred ? Young people have a difficult time navigating in the society of our American culture. Why make it rougher and more dangerous for them ?

It is 2018.
 
There are signs printed directly on the surface of windows and on walls next to seats on the MBTA commuter train cars, and on busses.

"Make the seat available for ill, disabled, injured, elderly, and pregnant passengers. Plenty of people will vacate a seat, and leave it to someone with a small child."


It s just simple human kindness and consideration.


WTF is wrong with this young woman ?

She chose to punch a 71 year old woman in the head. It was not as if it was an un-informed teen. She is 23 years old.


The victim said she saw a woman, later identified as Ms. Campbell, taking up a seat with her purse. Authorities said when the woman asked her politely if she could move her purse so she could sit down, Ms. Campbell refused.


According to Transit Police, the victim then handed the purse to Ms. Campbell and tried to sit. Ms. Campbell became enraged and physically threatened to harm the victim.

As the victim became frightened and tried to move away, Ms. Campbell stood up and allegedly struck the victim in the back of the head with a closed fist.

Authorities said Ms. Campbell was placed into custody after a struggle. It's unclear when she will be arraigned or if she has an attorney.

https://www.necn.com/news/new-engla...rvard-Square-Station-Cambridge-499677651.html
 
Skating on the Frog Pond started, yesterday.

Wonderful footage of skaters, from tonight.

Warnings, that it is not safe to skate on natural ponds and lakes, yet.
 
Tip of hat, and a theatrical bow, to New York's crazy, parade-lovin' crowds. Boston always has chances to match the crazy. First Night is sometimes Arctic Night on the Harbor. Been there. It helps to be young.


You might think that temperatures in the low 20s and cold, steady winds would dissuade millions of people from all over the world to come stand on a NYC sidewalk for upwards of eight hours to look at giant floating advertisements. But you'd wrong: This morning’s annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade drew the usual huge happy crowds all along the route from the Upper West Side to Herald Square.


http://gothamist.com/2018/11/22/photos_2018_thanksgiving_parade.php#photo-1


I stayed in, today. Did not join the fun, with 7F temps this morning. At my age, my blood is thinner than it once was. ( Vegetarian blood, not vegan blood. With fish blood thrown in. Can't fight the "Otter Urge.")
 
When did we stop separating news from opinion ?

WLVI dropped news at 10:00, and The Boston Phoenix dropped its tree-based newspaper-

Was it because of the interwebs ?

The Boston Herald was sold.

The Boston Globe newspaper was put through the wringer, but it survived.


1998 Mike Barnicle had stolen jokes from George Carlin.

Patricia Smith was whammed for fabrications.

2004 Sexual harassers got whammed by #MeToo

Legitimate news does not tolerate plagiarism

Speak With Your Own Voice!


WATCH LIVE: An Anniversary Episode Of Beat The Press


Creator and host Emily Rooney will celebrate the 20 years on-air with a special live episode.

BEAT THE PRESS

LOCAL

Beat The Press: 20 Years And Counting

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2018/12/04/beat-the-press-20-years-and-counting

Tonight-

Media Obsessions
 
Last edited:
December 21, 2018

Magnitude 2.2 earthquake shakes several central Mass. communities

GARDNER, MASS. (WHDH) - A magnitude 2.2 earthquake rattled the Templeton-Gardner area on Friday, sending many residents running to social media to see if their neighbors had felt the tremor.


MEMA

@MassEMA
Per @USGS: Magnitude 2.2 #Earthquake in #Templeton/#Gardner/#Winchendon area around 12:51PM.

Reports of shaking, but MEMA is not aware of any reports of issues or damage@templetonpolice https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000iw0g/executive


2:12 PM - Dec 21, 2018


Alaska had a bit of a jolt. But then, again, Alaska gets many jolts.

(40,000 earthquakes a year,on the average.)

End of November 2018

A magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck north of Anchorage, Alaska, on November 30, 2018, at 8:29 a.m. local time (17:29:28 UTC). ... U.S. Geological Survey scientists continue to investigate the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that rocked south-central Alaska on Friday, now being referred to as the "2018 Anchorage Earthquake."Nov 30, 2018

Indonesia tsunami kills hundreds after Krakatau eruption

December 23, 2018

Anak Krakatau has seen increased activity in recent months. Indonesia's geological agency says the volcano erupted for two minutes and 12 seconds on Friday, creating an ash cloud that rose 400 metres above the mountain

https://www.bbc.com/news/world

There are white quartz caves,up and down the coast. From Connecticut to the Canadian border.

Mining

https://www.thegardnernews.com/news/20181001/curious-caves

Kangas notes that these caves, set about 100 feet from the road, are near where copper was mined. It would be incredibly interesting, according to Kangas, if they were to discover signs of early copper smelting in the caves, which was not common this far north in the presettler era.

https://www.thegardnernews.com/news/20181001/curious-caves
 
Back
Top