Marque Of Respect (Closed For MaidenFair)

KiwiD82

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 12, 2014
Posts
551
Port Royal, Jamaica, 1718.

The heavy oak doors of the governor's office closed behind Ignatius as he left the building, parchment in hand.

A tall man of medium build, with a mess of dark brown hair that was probably too long for him and blue eyes that seemed to vary between a calm cyan and an angry icy stare depending on his mood, Ignatius Bell was in a frustrated mood.

He had achieved what he'd come to Port Royal for: in his hands he held a pardon for piratical acts signed by the governor as the King's representative. But it had come at a cost.

The newly ex-pirate rubbed his stubbled chin as he reflected on the governor's pithy suggestion that Ignatius Bell had barely any piratical exploits to pardon.

Such gall! the captain fumed. And to think I'd even considered shaving for such a meeting as a mark of respect!

Ignatius had of course let his temper flare, asserting his claims of piracy along the likes of other famed pirates: Benjamin Hornigold, Calico Jack, Stede Bonnet - even Blackbeard himself!

It was one brag too many. Before he knew what was happening, Ignatius was enlisted as a pirate hunter and commissioned to bring as many of his fellow pirates to justice.

It wasn't the first time Ignatius had found himself ruing his short temper. No wonder his parents had given him a name that came from the same root word as "ignite".

Making his way through the bustling streets of the English colony, past the numerous taverns and brothels that made Port Royal famous, Ignatius strode towards the docks, one hand holding his Letter of Marque, and the other resting on the butt of his flintlock pistol that hung from his belt.

As Ignatius boarded his sloop Revolution, the first mate, a burly man called Charles Bellamy, greeted his captain with a nod.

"To sea, Bellamy," Ignatius instructed.

The man nodded again, this time to show he understood. Then he turned and started yelling to the crew, and the calls followed from rank to rank. Then Bellamy turned back to Ignatius.

"Where are we headed, cap'n?"

Ignatius paused for a moment to look back up to the governor's residence from the deck of the ship. Then he turned to his first mate and replied with a new sense of determination: "Nassau."
 
The Tempest bobbed gently on the Turquoise waves of Nassau harbour. It's Captain sat in the darkness of her quarters, the only light being the flickering of three large candles dotted around the large map she was peering down at. Rose, or Black Rose as she was known to her Pirate Brethren, let out an exasperated sigh before pushing herself to her feet. She left the confines of her quarters and stood on the deck of the Tempest, peering up at the other ships in the harbour, The Benjamin, The Ranger, The Royal Phoenix, The Revenge.

"Captain!" Her first made called out, her steely grey gaze found him at the helm, Adé was his name, a tall muscular Jamaican native and former slave.
"Be careful, you know what these pirate types are like" he grinned, exposed his rows of brilliant white teeth.
Rose laughed and placed her tricorne hat atop her hair which was currently in a thick golden braid which nestled itself between her shoulder blades.

"All too well, don't you worry Adé!"

She set off to find the tavern, The Old Avery. Once there she placed her hat on the table and grabbed a bottle of rum.

"Gentlemen" she nodded her head, her gaze finding the faces of the handsome Charles Vane and equally handsome Ben Hornigold, she smiled at Thatch as she sat herself next to him, looking over at Rackham as he slumped over the bar.

"Shall we?"
 
Last edited:
Revolution creaked and groaned as if in protest as the metal links of the anchor chain clanged against its side, the heavy weight dropping down into the ocean.

The single masted sloop sat just outside Nassau harbour, half of its 10 cannons pointing towards the pirate haven.

Ignatius was sitting in his quarters with his first mate. The captain was mentally preparing himself for a return to the familiar port as an outsider - not that any of the other pirates would know.

"I'll go alone," Ignatius was saying. "Ensure the crew stays behind."

Charles Bellamy nodded in agreement. Like Ignatius, he knew their only advantage at this point was surprise. The other pirate captains wouldn't know they were now hunters, and a sailor filled with rum might reveal all.

"Cap'n, remember the code," the grizzled man replied.

"I'll not cause any trouble until we're at sea again, Bellamy," Ignatius reassured him. "Think of today as a friendly catchup. Nothing more."

By the time the captain was climbing down a rope ladder on the side of the ship to a row boat below, he felt ready. The warm sun had meant he was wearing a loose white shirt, allowing the gentle breeze to keep him cool. Similarly, he had unlaced the sides of his tricorne hat and pulled the sides down for added shade.

With a cutlass sitting against one hip and his flintlock the other, Ignatius nodded to the two sailors in the boat with him. One used his oar to nudge them away from Revolution, and then they both began the slow journey, rowing towards the harbour.
 
"So let me get this right, you've no food, no water, no rum...So much for a Pirate Republic" Rose grunted as she pulled the cork out of a bottle of wine, taking a gulp. Vane sneered, folding his arms over his broad chest.

"Well...yes" Hornigold sighed, sinking his fingers into his dark hair, the group looked up at the arrival of a new member. James Kidd.

"Don't you look like an 'appy bunch" he grunted, placing his hands on his lower back and peering round the bay.

"Sit down Kidd, we've got a problem"

**

"There's a Spanish convoy heading from Havana to Africa. I figure they'll have everything we need, bar water, that's a completely different thing all together. Why did you lot pick an island with a shortage of water?" Rose groaned and sank her fingers into her golden hair. She looked out over the bay, noticing a new ship.

"Ey, we've got company" she muttered. The group turned their heads and looked out to bay at the new ship. Thatch swiftly produced a spyglass from his surcoat and peered through it.

"She ain't flyin no colours"
 
Ignatius stepped onto the small wooden jetty as the row boat nudged against it, pulling the sides of his hat back up and quickly lacing it back together as he instructed the sailors to wait for his return.

It felt good to be back in Nassau, despite the circumstances. Ignatius Bell had spent more time here than anywhere else but England. It was, in a sense, his home away from home.

He knew he was going to miss it when the time came to leave.

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, and reminding himself that there was no need to fear familiar company - yet - he made his way up the jetty and towards The Old Avery.

Removing his hat and hooking it under his arm as he always did when entering a building, the would-be gentleman pirate hunter entered the familiar tavern and immediately recognised some old faces, as well as one or two new ones.

"Good day, gentlemen," he greeted them as he scanned the room, pleased to already know so many of those present.

One unfamiliar face in particular caught his eye. Simply put, she was stunning.

"And ladies," he added with a slight bow and a warm smile. "Captain Ignatius Bell, at your service."

Forcing himself to pull his eyes away from her, Ignatius turned to Charles Vane.

"I'm freshly returned from Port Royal. I don't suppose you have rum here? Or do I have to provide some from my own hold again?"
 
"Evening" Hornigold called out happily to the stranger, he was the only one trusting enough to do so, the rest of the group peered up at the raven haired newcomer with a suspicious eye. Rose glanced to Thatch as she saw his hand creeping to the butt of his pistol. She looked back at the handsome stranger and took another glug of wine.

"You'll have to use yer own." Vane huffed before returning his face to his hands. Hornigold pursed his lips and looked from Vane to the stranger.

"I'm sure we could find a bottle for a newcomer" Ben nodded and pushed himself up from the bench, heading over to the bar.
 
Ignatius Bell watched the various welcomes he got across the room. Vane being stubborn; Thatch being on edge; Hornigold being hospitable.

It was just how he'd remembered it.

"Stop being so damn'd paranoid, Thatch," he laughed. "I've only been away a month and you're acting like you don't know me!"

Feeling more comfortable with every passing moment in familiar company - even company as woeful as this - Ignatius turned to join Hornigold at the bar.

"I see your apprentice is as jumpy as always, Ben," the new arrival chuckled.

He turned his back to the bar, leaning against it with one elbow. His eyes briefly looked around the room before falling upon Rose once again.

"Although I don't recognise everyone here, Ben. Care to be a gentleman and introduce me?"
 
''The more you're gone the more I dont know ye'' Thatch grunted, dropping the hand that clutched his revolver. He scratched his wirey beard and set his hands on the table, sneering as the strange called him the apprentice.

Rose looked from Thatch to the figure standing next to Ben and back again to Thatch.

''Who's that?'' She asked quietly, glancing from Kidd to Vane.

Names Ignatius Bell, peculiar fellow

Not one to be trusted

''Why not?''

Ben looked from Ignatius over to the table. He snickered softly, taking the bottle of rum by the neck and holding it out to Ignatius.

That's Rose, great girl, better pirate, you know Kidd and the others
 
Ignatius nodded in greeting to Rose, admiring what of her beauty he could see in the dimly lit tavern.

"Ignatius Bell of the Revolution, milady," he added with a slight bow. "Pleased to meet the infamous Black Rose."

He smiled briefly, but didn't bother to gauge her reaction to him recognising her moniker before he turned to Kidd.

"Good to see you, old man. I'd heard terrible rumours that you'd been executed for piracy! I'm glad they were merely scuttlebutt."

The would-be pirate hunter lifted his bottle in a toast.

"To your health, old dog."

Ignatius took a swig from his drink, then turned again, strolling towards Rose and Thatch.

"Welcome to Nassau, Miss Rose. You carry quite the reputation."

Ignatius took a seat at the next table over, then looked up and added with a grin: "If you don't mind me asking, why would a rose such as yourself want to associate herself with us, the very weeds of society?"
 
Rose nodded her head in return to the new Captain before returning to the murmuring between Thatch and Vane. Her eyes lingered over the dark haired man as she listened to the pirates either side of her. She looked over to Kidd as the stranger spoke his name, raising her eyebrow somewhat curiously, he seemed all to friendly not to be wanting anything.

''Where can a Rose be truly appreciated if not in a bed of weeds?''
 
Ignatius grinned at Rose's reply, then chuckled lightly into his bottle as he raised it for another drink.

Secretly, he was hating this exchange. Not because he wasn't enjoying himself but rather because he was.

The thought of having to hunt someone - anyone - in this room pained him.

He had friends in this tavern that he would never want to see in a brig. Well, perhaps not friends, but individuals who he could trust enough to not stab him when he showed them his back.

Even Vane, as stubborn as ever, and the self-important Thatch were a credit to the community he wished he could remain a part of.

But Rose...she was quick-witted, skilled if her reputation was anything to go by, and undeniably attractive. But Ignatius didn't know her well.

And as much as he liked the idea of seeing a lot more of Rose, handing her over to the governor in Port Royal might be enough to keep the man off his case.

How that might be done was a mystery at this point, however.

Ignatius turned towards Hornigold and called across to him.

"So what's the plan, Ben? We can't be sitting around here when there's plunderin' to be done!"
 
"Course we can't!" Ben replied in a loud cheer. He patted Ignatius on the back and headed over to the rest of the group who looked at him oddly with a hint of suprise and confusion on their faces.

"You heard Rose, there's a British convoy heading for Africa, it's going to sail right by us, only fair that we make this trip a little more exciting right?" Ben laughed softly.

"Have you gone insane?" Thatch muttered loud enough for Ben to hear, he knew of Nassaus current situation and he doubted taking on a royal fleet was going to help.

"Afraid not my friend, I'll leave that up to you" Ben patted Thatch on the back. Rose pushed herself to her feet, looking at the others.

"Bens right, we can't just sit here feeling sorry for ourselves all day" she looked at Vane and glanced at Kidd who stood behind her.

*

Rose climbed aboard the deck of the Tempest, looking over to Vane on the Ranger and Thatch on the Revenge.

"Adé, hoist the colours"
 
Ignatius pondered the situation at hand. As usual, Nassau's supplies were low because they'd been squandered. For all their collective naval genius, the pirates had never put much consideration to rationing their plunder to ensure it would last.

A pirate fleet would be an imposing force, but how was Ignatius to get Rose alone so he could capture her? He could hope she might run her ship aground, but her reputation suggested she was too skilled for that.

Ignatius was still unsure of what to do by the time he returned to the Revolution.

"Ready the ship to sail, Bellamy," he instructed his first mate. "And ready the crew for battle."

The crewman nodded, then started to send instructions down the line, and before long, men were hurriedly moving about, preparing muskets and cannons and gunpowder.

Ignatius looked across to the other ships, wanting to ensure he wasn't the first out to sea. As he watched the Tempest, he couldn't help but consider how good a prize she would be, but he knew the greater prize was her captain.

Black Rose had left quite an impression on Ignatius, and half of him wanted to capture someone else so she could remain free; the other half wanted to capture her just to ensure he got to see her again.

As he pondered just how he might get Rose away from the others, he felt a drop of liquid hit his shoulder and he looked up to see dark clouds slowly moving in. He let himself smile about the prospect.

Perhaps his target's ship wouldn't be the only tempest in Nassau's harbour today.
 
Rose shrugged into her surcoat, a former dark blue navy military surcoat, perfectly tailored to fit her slim tall figure. She peered up at the clouds as raindrops spashed down over her eyelashes and nose. Grunting softly she climbed the steps to the helm and took hold of the wheel. She navigated The Tempest out of Nassau harbour with ease. The Tempest was a moderate sized frigate, formerly a slave ship. Three masts held white sails with inflated as they caught the gathering wind. 36 guns were spread over the two decks, with 16 below deck and 16 on the main deck, they were fitted with heavy shot and Rose had also purchased some mortar.

''Storms brewin' Rose Adé said gruffly, holding tightly onto the rail on the quarter deck.

''Dont worry, we can use it to our advantage'' Rose replied, her green eyes fixed on the Pirate convoy before her, consisting of The Queen Anne's Revenge, The Ranger, The Benjamin, The Royal Phoenix behind her was Ignatius and his vessel Revolution

They sailed for a few hours before coming across their target. A frigate and two brigs.
 
Ignatius was careful to ensure his sloop sailed towards the back of the group. He hoped that it appeared that as a small ship of just 10 cannons, he was merely being cautious around the likes of larger ships like brigs and frigates.

The reality was he didn't want to engage with vessels bearing English colours and risk being declared a traitor. Had the convoy of ships been French or Spanish, on the other hand...

The combination of being at the back and the Revolution being a sloop also meant Ignatius and his crew could beat a hasty retreat if they needed to as he could outrun anyone else nearby.

The wind and rain were both picking up at a steady rate and by the time the pirate group had located their quarries, the swell was growing and it was becoming difficult to stay on course.

"Bellamy!" the captain called out above the growing wind. "Hoist the Jolly Roger before they work out what we're up to!"

The Revolution lurched as Ignatius turned her towards the wind, the deck becoming slippery as the sloop rocked with the waves.
 
Rose peered under her lashes at the darkening clouds above the ships. She blinked as heavy raindrops began to fall, coating her ship with a slippery dark sheen of water. She looked towards the convoy which had just entered Hornigolds sights. He engaged them, firing one of two cannons at first before unleashing the Benjamin's artillery up on the frigate. the Ranger navigated around the Hornigold and set to work on the small gunboats escorting the ship. The Revenge also did, favouring fire over cannon ball.

The Tempest navigated itself behind the enemy ship and let loose the thirty two cannons in it's arsenal, decimating the back end of the ship, disabling the rudder chain and losing any hope the English might have of getting away.

Rose trend her head as there was the unmistakable sound of splintering wood. The main mast began to fall, pulling most of the rigging and weakening the other two masts.

"Get in close Adé"
 
The Revolution rocked side to side as the foul weather became stronger, and the pirate ships encircled and attacked the English convoy.

Ignatius watched uncomfortably as the mast on the targeted frigate cracked loudly and began to topple. Normally he would have rejoiced at such a sight, but not today.

Engaging the English convoy risked him or his ship being recognised by any potential English survivors. But failing to engage would bring suspicion from his former piratical colleagues.

He held back at first, and in his hesitancy, his problem was solved by the weather.

A rogue wave surged between the Tempest and the English frigate, separating the two and taking the Revolution along with it. Before long, the two vessels flying the Jolly Roger were fighting to retain control as water spilled across their decks and heavy winds turned against them and filled their sails.

The frigate might have involuntarily followed, had its mast managed to stay intact enough to keep its sails hoisted, but as it was, only the Revolution and the Tempest were pushed away.
 
Back
Top