Under hedges and Mill Stones (closed for Led-Astray)

Haven't felt like this since when? Nisa questioned for a moment then dismissed it as quickly as the thought slipped into her mind. To believe that she was the first woman Sir Corbin had spent the night with was simply naive. Even to believe that he had never given his heart to another. After all: he was a knight and many a pretty present girl had dreamed of a shining knight come to save her from her poverty and be the love of her life and in turn, be the love of his. And how was she to judge? When she was young, she had loved a young farmer and she was married as well. None of that felt like this.

As Corbin's passion grew, so did the millers. She pressed her body against his, returning his kiss with the same passion. His hands roamed over her body and she responded by doing the same. Nisa's soft hand slid down between then and gently caressed the knights hardening cock. As her had slid down his shaft, Nisa couldn't help but moan softly. How she craved the feeling of him inside her.

Even though he had been fully sated mere hours before, Nisa's soft moan of anticipation, and the feel of her hand grasping his now fully erect member, threatened to overwhelm Corbin and send him into a frenzy of lust. But that was not how he wished to treat his newfound love, and so rather than pinning her beneath him and impaling her on his raging cock, he instead pulled her tight to his body and rolled suddenly over onto his back, leaving her astride him.

He looked up into her surprised eyes, and smiled. "Was it really just a few short days ago that I looked up at you from a soft bed as you tended my wounds? It feels like a lifetime..."

Nisa let out a soft gasp of surprise as corbin quickly moved, flipping her on top of himself. Before she knew what had happened, she was straddling him, looking down at her lover as he smiled up at her. Shifting her hips, she reached down, taking his swollen member in her hand and guided it into her waiting fold. As she felt him slide into her wet pussy, Nisa let out a soft sigh as she leaded back pressing him into her deeply. “Funny,” she commented with a sight, “I feel like I have been waiting forever for you to find me.” slowly she rocked her hips, pumping her hard cock deep inside her.

With a louder moan, Nisa leaned forward. Her chestnut hair falling about her shoulders and she leaned down, her soft pink lips seeking the knights.

As Nisa guided his hardness into her warmth, Corbin cried out in pleasure. His large, strong hands caressed her thighs and buttocks before settling firmly on her hips, locking the lovers into a steady, slow rhythm.

As she leaned forwards, Corbin shivered with pent up desire, and met her descending mouth with an open mouth, kissing her with a gentle but insistent passion as his tongue played lightly across the inside of her lips. He closed his eyes and let out a moan as filled with passion as Nisa's own, as he began to gently thrust upwards to match her own rocking, sliding deeper inside her with each stroke until his entire length was being thrust inside her willing flesh.

As Corbin gently thrust up into her, inch at a time till her ass gently brushed against his legs, Nisa gave into her animal urges, increasing the speed in which she rocked her hips. At first it was slow and soft but soon her speed increased. With each thrust he met her, driving into her with as much lust as she showed him till she finally pushed herself up to a sitting position, straddling her lover. Not slowing her pace, Nisa road the hedge knight to the edge of her own orgasm. Her long chestnut locks slipped over her slender shoulders and over her round bouncing breasts as she let her head, at first fall forward then drift back as she gave into her lust.

As the first wave of her orgasm hit her, Nisa let out a gasp and a moan as her wet pussy began to milk to cock of her lover. Then her left hand reached behind her, cupping Corbin’s balls, gently rolling then in the palm of her soft hand.

Feeling Nisa in the throes of climax was all it took to push Corbin to the very edge. He gasped as she continued to ride him, marvelling at the beauty of her body above him, trying to hold back from a climax of his own...

But then Nisa reached down to gently caress the tightly gathered flesh of his sack, and the eroticism of her touch flowed through im like lightning.

Crying her name, he thrust upward one more time, arching his back and pushing his heels down into the hard floor of the cave, as his large cock shot jet after jet of thick white semen into his lover's wonderful pussy.

Nisa collapsed into Corbin’s arms, letting the feeling of the afterglow wash over her. With a soft giggle she found so relaxed, she nearly drifted back to sleep till the sound of the knights stomach rumbling came loud enough to wake a bear. “I guess we should break our fast my love and continue on.” Nisa said softly as she reached up a brushed a stray lock of chestnut hair from her face.

Corbin gave an embaressed grin at the noisy betrayl of of own belly.

He raised his lips to Nisa's and kissed her tenderly before responding.

"Mmm, I fear you are right. I would fain lie here with you in my arms forever, but it seems my stomach has other ideas."

With that, he stood and stretched, naked but unashamed. "I feel as though I could eat that bear..." but then he frowned, as sudden recolection hit him.

"What happened to the bear, Nisa?" he said with concerned urgency, How did you escape it? It may be on its way back to its lair, now morning has come.

Nisa shook her head as she reached for her cloths. "One minute it was attacking you, then it charged at me but missed and kept going. The beast ran head long into a tree and never rose." As she pulled up her heavy skirts she frowned. "Do you think the beast was rabid?" she asked but grew silent as she lifted the clothing that layed where her skirts were now.

A beautiful deep blue gown hung in their place. The soft velvet dress with stars embroidered around the plunging neck line were a far contrast to her simple present cloths she had stripped off the night before. ".... or could the Gods have a hand in it?" she questioned.

Corbin wasn't looking at Nisa as she spoke, rather he had located his sword and now stood facing the cave exit. He continued to do so, even after Nisa confirmed that the bear was no longer a threat.

"The gods...? I am not so sure, but something did. The beast could have slain me in its first attack, but did not - something stayed its hand and it didn't look happy."

He frowned, and scuffed at the dirt on the cave floor with a bare foot.

"The goblins in the woods that targeted you, I thought might be revenge of some sort. But since then we have had the creatures at the inn that targeted only women, and a giant bear that - at first - spared my life and tried to chase you down."

He shook his head and turned to face his love.

"Nisa, we can't ignore it. I don't claim to understand it, but someone - or something, rather - is trying to kill you but spare me. It makes no sense yet..."

He trailed off, looking puzzled. "Perhaps I took more of a blow to the head than I had thought, but surely that is not the clothing yu hung up to dry last night?"

Nisa slowly pulled the dress up over her body and gave a soft sigh as it slid over her shoulders. It felt almost warm to the touch like the soft touch of her lovers hands. Despite the gown not being something she had seen before, she knew in her heart where it came from. Lunium had always promised to take care of her and, even in her darkest moments, she knew he was there.

Corbin’s theory of what might be happening made sense but still Nisa couldn’t imagine who would go to such lengths to bring her harm. The knight turned and, after a moment, questioned her new attire. Nisa smiled as she reached behind herself, pulling the lacing tight. “It is not the same as last night, no. It is a gift.” As she said it, Nisa pulled her chestnut hair back over her shoulders. Where the star tattoos had ran down her neck, now they cascaded down along her collarbone and over the curve of her breasts. With a smile on her face, Nisa reached out her hands to the knight, “Lunium has brought you to me.”

As Corbin reached out to take her hands in his, she again pondered his suspicions. “Why would anyone take such interest in me? I am no threat to anyone. I have nothing.”

Laying the sword to one side, Corbin took Nisa's hands and looked at her lovingly. Then he smiled, wryly.

"I have nothing, she says..." he murmured, with dancing eyes. "Nothing but beauty, grace, courage and the gift of healing."

He shook his head, gently. "Any of those things might be enough to earn the malice of somebody twisted enough, but you have something else..."

The knight released one of his lover's hands, and caressed the soft fabric of the gown she now wore. "You have the favour of a god. A god that many do not trust, and that some fear. He brought us together, and for that I give thanks, but what his plans for us are, I have no idea."

After a moment of motionless reflection, Corbin suddenly stepped forwards, trapping Nisa in a tight embrace.

"We can do naught but speculate, for now. And we can speculate just as well on the road as we can in this cave. Let us break our fast then travel onwards - we must have lost some time yesterday and we do not want to be late to the tourney."

Corbin released his hold on Nisa and began pulling on his underthings, and the padded leggings and arming jacket that went under his steel harness. But then he paused again.

"If, that is, you wish to press on? We were seeking money for new millstones, but is milling still in our future, I wonder?"

Nisa draped the heavy navy cloak over her shoulders as Corblin began to dress. It felt warm, like the gown but it also gave her a feeling of protection, similar to who she felt when the hedge knight placed himself between her and an attacker.

As Corbin asked what their plans included going forward, Nisa shook her head. “Without the mill, the farmers and the town will suffer. The rely on me to process their grain so they can feed their families.” Nisa reached down and grabbed two pieces of the knights cuisses and greavers and beckoned him to come closer with a smile. “And we have come this far. I can’t imagine turning around now…. When we’ve come this far.”

Nisa was becoming quite practiced in the art of helping Corbin into his armour, and it took very little time before the hedge knight was fully clad. It would have taken less time if they had not delayed after each piece to caress or to kiss, but in either event, soon Corbin was once again clad in protective steel.

He flexed, uncertainly... somehow, the metal did not feel right. And yet as far as he could see, every strap and buckle was in place, and every joint operating smoothly, in spite of the soaking it had received the day before.

And besides, the feeling was not one of restriction or discomfort. Instead, he felt freer than usual, less weighed down...

After a few experimental lunges, steps and bends, he noticed Nisa looking at him quizzically, but Corbin shrugged and shook his head. Perhaps it was just being so well rested, or perhaps the healing magic had given him more strength, somehow, but it wasn't something he wanted to talk about just yet. Instead, he explained his actions to his curious lover with a different subject.

"It seems that I am suffering not a single ill effect from the wounds that bear gave me... the god you serve is a generous one, my love."

Nisa smiled knowingly and gently pulled Corbin towards the cave entrance. “He can be the most generous of all the gods when the time is right…. But all that follow him understand that we do not see the bigger picture. He denies His gifts, not out of malice but out of love. A request that may seem unfair, can be a gift in itself…. Like not being able to heal the innkeeper's daughter so that her true love could save her and get the blessing of her parents. We saw the bigger picture right away but most don’t see it at all.”

As the sun danced through the leaves in the trees, it gave a warm glow to Nisa’s chestnut hair. The moisture of the rain the night before seemed to exactly what the clearing in front of the cave needed. Flowers seemed to open and the forest appeared to be twice as green as the day before. Nisa took a deep breath, smiled and sighed. It smelt so fresh and clean.

“For years I prayed for…. Well many things that would have made my life less miserable but it seemed that, at every turn, hardship was my fate. But if I hadn’t ended up alone at the mill, you would not have found me and I would not have been free to be yours.” Nisa leaned in and kissed Corbin softly. “I thank Lunitium for everything I had to endure to bring me to this moment.”

Just then the pair of horses, who now seemed more content to stand close together walked out from behind a large boulder. In tow behind was the mule still weighed down with the bakers tent.

Corbin returned Nisa's kiss with a tenderness that belied his rough exterior. He smiled at Nisa's words, then nodded towards their mounts.

"It seems as though, even whilst we are content to dally, our noble steeds are eager to be on their way."

Seizing Nisa by the waist, the knight effortlessly lifted her up and swung her around before placing her upon the back of the smaller horse. Then he turned to his own, larger mount, and rubbed her muzzle affectionately.

"Good girl, Grace." he smiled, as she nudged him with her head, knocking him a little off balance. Then, in spite of the plate armour in which he was clad, he effortlessly swung into the saddle.

Again, he paused, struck once more by unaccustomed freedom of motion he was experiencing, but with an almost imperceptible shake of the head he gently kicked Grace's flanks and they set off along the road, Nisa and Corbin side by side with the mule trotting amiably after.

The night's rain had brought a freshness to the forest, and everthing seemed fresh and green. The sun was shining, but there was enough cloud to prevent it from being too hot.

For Corbin and Nisa, it was almost dreamlike. No longer having to work on keeping their love secret from the other, they were free to talk, to chat and to laugh together, free of the guilt that their feelings had previously been mired with.

As a result the day passed swiftly, and there were no futher dangers upon the road. The lovers made excellent time and just before sunset found themselves looking down into a valley, where there sat, astride the river, a small village.

"Nisa! We are here!" exclaimed Corbin. "Not at the site of the tourney, but this village marks the edge of Lord Herne's lands - and he is the host of the event."

Last edited:
The sleepy village looked as it might have been woven into a tapestry. Perfect little houses and buildings housing everything from businesses to animals were built along winding streets and followed the curves of a gently flowing river. A wagon filled with a farmers wares rolled across a bridge towards the mill with it’s slowly turning paddle wheel. The smoke from each kitchens fire gently drifted up into the sky as children rushed home to see what had been cooked on them. From here, the village appeared to not have care care in the world. And why should it? Lord Herne was known to be a fair and just man who cared for the people the king had chosen him to protect.

Nisa gave a sigh, “It’s so…. Tranquil.” she said softly. “Like nothing could break the peace of such a place.” With a gentle hand, she reached out, placing it on Sir Corbin’s arm as he pulled Grace closer to Dancer. “Might we stay here just for a little while? The sunset is so beautiful, and I’m sure a few minutes won’t make that much difference in finding a room for the night.”

Corbin smiled down at Nisa.

"Of course, my lady. We have had an eventful journey..." he said quietly, as though afraid to disturb the tranquility of the scene. "We can spare some time to rest our minds and hearts, before we go to seek out rest for our bodies."

The hedge-knight removed his helmet, all the better to take in the view, and turned his gaze away from his lovers to look down at the village in the valley. But in spite of his words, Corbin's mind was not at rest. He could not help but review, over and over, the events of this journey. The goblins in the woods. The creatures of undeath at the inn. The monstrous bear. All of them seeking to slay Nisa and leave him alive.

It made no sense - what could a simple miller have done to attract the ire of somebody with that sort of power? Were the hobgoblins that attacked the mill part of it too?

Except, of course, she was not just a simple miller. The fine blue gown she now wore was proof of that, even if she had not healed him. Twice now, saving him from death, or at least, life as a broken beggar. Would there be a price to pay for such magics? In all the stories, witches and sorceresses were evil creatures who suffered terrible fates due to dabbling in dark forces... Lumien seemed like a benevolent god, but equally, this could all be his doing, a series of trials intended to... what? No mortal could try to unpick the tangled plots woven by a god, for that way lay madness.

Corbin chuckled briefly. Speculation was pointless, and could lead nowehere but around in maddening circles. Here he was, in a peaceful place, a wonderful sunset to watch, a beautiful and loving woman by his side. Why not just enjoy the moment, and worry about the challenges of the future later?

Except, of course, underneath all of it was the nagging worm of doubt. In that last attack, he had not kept his lady safe from the bear. It had shaken him like a rag doll and tossed him aside like a petulant child, leaving him broken on the floor. Thank the gods - or, one particular god, he supposed, that the creature had seemingly lost its senses in pursuit and broken its own skull against a tree.

But knights do not share their doubts and worries, especially with those who are relying on them for protection, so Corbin kept his face passive, and simply sat with Nisa, hand in hand, until the last of the sun's round face had been swallowed up by the wooded hills.

"Let us ride on, my lady." Corbin murmured. "I would like to get out of this armour, and perhaps to sleep in a real bed again."

Nisa nodded in agreement and placed the back of her hand as she tried to hide a yawn. A soft breeze suddenly picked up and the milled pulled the heavy hood of her dark cloak up over her head and wrapped it’s warm layers about her, warding off the cold evening air.

“After you, Sir Corbin.” she said with a smile.

As they wound their way down into the shallow valley, more details became apparent. The village was small but well maintained, with a fairly new looking inn with a large stable-yard on the far side. Many of the larger houses, and the inn itself, were decorated with bright bunting that fluttered weakly in the gentle breeze.

"This way, Sir and Lady" called a voice from the stable-yard. A young stableboy, in livery the colours of Lord Herne's heraldry, beckoned to them from the stableyard gates.

"Of course," smiled Corbin. "A tourney this large, every village within miles of the event will have been pressed into service to provide lodging for those taking part.

Corbin dismounted with practiced ease, and turned to help Nisa down from Dancer - only to find she had already alighted and was waiting, with a slight smile, for him. As the stable boy took their reins, Corbin dug into his pouch and dug out a coin. Silver glinted in the air as corbin flipped it to the stableboy. "Make our mounts are unloaded, fed, watered and groomed properly. I'll know if they have not been."

"No need to worry sir, for silver I'll treat them better than I treat my own mother." replied the cocky youngster, leading the beasts into an empty loose-box.

The door to the inn - the sign proclaimed it to be "The Crossed Keys" - was open, and the sounds of loud conversation drifted from within. Corbin stepped in first, and the noise died. The sudden quiet held no threat, just curiousity. A half-dozen well dressed men, all younger than Corbin, had claimed the space around the fire, and were staring at him with unconcealed interest. The sons of Nobility. Real knights. As they took in his battered armour and torn and muddy tabbard, they recognised him as a hedge-knight and most turned away. The noise and bustle of the inn resumed.

But even as Corbin suffered a moment of discomfort at their high-born status, their expensive clothing and perfectly groomed hair and beards, he also took note of the lack of scars on faces and hands, and the lack of callous on fingers, and the elegant, narrow wrists. And he grinned, broadly.

"Landlord!" he boomed, jovially. A tall, narrow faced man scurried over. Like the stable-boy, he too was dressed in his lords livery. "Yes, sire?" blurted the man, then continued to speak, making the same assumptions about Corbin as the other Knights had. "A space in the common room to lie out your bedroll?"

At that moment Nisa stepped into the room. Again, quiet descended. This time the looks were more lingering, and accompanied by low murmurs and nudges as the young knights took in her beauty.

"You are mistaken, landlord." resumed Corbin. "My lady and I shall require a private room.

"Ahh, yes, of course." gabbled the unfortunate landlord. For, ironically, whilst Corbin might not look like nobility, Nisa certainly did. Even after a days travel her dress and hair proclaimed her to be of no ordinary stock. Still gabbling, the Landlord led the couple up the stairs to a balcony that surrounded the inn below, and from which led off a number of simple wooden doors. "My Lord and Lady are in luck, we still have one room left. I'll send up one of the pot-boys to make up the fire. Will you require a meal?"

"Aye, we'll take a bowl of whatever is in the pot" replied Corbin, looking around the room, and finding it satisfactory. "We'll come down to eat in about half an hour."

As the landlord scurried away, Corbin closed the door and chuckled. "Poor man. In the past he would have been quite right, but now he thinks he has insulted us. I'll let him worry for a bit longer before we put his mind at rest."

He turned back to Nisa as he pulled of his gauntlets and threw them into a large wooden chest at the foot of the bed. His thick fingers began unbuckling his sword-belt as he spoke again.

"Is the room to your liking my lady?"

The little village had a peacful, tranquiel feel to it and Nisa gave a soft sigh as she smiled. It reminded her of the village she grew up in, once peace had finally come to the area. The people whom they passed, smiled and gave a polite nod. The didn’t seem to have a care in the world. They felt safe, even while meeting Corbin clad in his armor and Nisa in her dark cloak. After leaving the livery, the miller dropped the hood of her cloak and enjoyed the soft evening breeze.

Candle light flickered in the windows of the inn and the sound of merriment and the smell of good food welcomed them to the Crossed Keys. As they were about to enter,
A twinkle of soft light in the night sky caught Nisa’s attention. She paused for a moment, her gaze turning to the heavens. As if to remind her that she was always under His watchful eye, a shooting star streaked across the sky. To Nisa, it looked as if the heavens were winking at her. With a smile she turned and followed Sir Corbin inside.

Within the common room, a group of dashing noble men sat around the hearth. Some stared with gaping mouths while other smiled as if she were familiar to them. Maybe not familiar with Nisa herself but perhaps the type of woman they thought she was. She paid them no mind. It had been a long day and the only man who had her interest offered her his arm and escorted her to the room provided by the landlord.

Nisa removed her cloak and hung it on a hook on the four post bed. The room was as lavish as the honeymoon room at the last in they had stayed but Nisa got the feeling that this was just the norm here. The bed was large enough for two, a small fireplace sat cold, waiting for the pot-boy to come attend it, a small table and benches sat in front of a small window and a heavy chest sat at the foot of the bed, offering storage for those who stayed for an extended period of time. Behind the door stood a small wash stand with a basin and above it sat a glass mirror.

For a moment, Nisa froze in the middle of the room. She had not seen her own reflection in such a long time. The drygoods store carried a few from time to time, depending of what traveler passed through and was willing to trade. Nisa slowly approached it and looked at the woman in the refection. Could it be possible that she looked younger. Nisa touched her face for a moment as she leaned in. No, not younger…. Well not really. It was more that the worry lines that once creased her face were gone. She no longer feared those around her, nore lived with the shame of her husband’s behavior.

"Is the room to your liking my lady?" Sir Corbin asked.

Nisa turned and smiled, extending her hands to the knight. “It will provide you the rest you’ll need before the tournament….. But Sir Corbin, you must stop calling me Lady. It is not a title in which I can boast and misleading anyone into thinking that I am more than I am could lead to trouble.” She reached a gentle hand up to his stubbly cheek, and stood on tiptoes, kissing him softly.

The bastard blade on Corbin's belt was too large for the chest, so he hung it from another of the bed-posts - though the helm that had hung from it joined the gauntlets. Corbins fingers worked on the straps, peeling of vambraces and rerebraces, pauldrons and gorget.

"You are right, Nisa, of course." he spoke as he removed his armour. It could cause difficulty if people assume you are of Gnetle birth, and then accuse us of fooling them..."

The breatplate came next, in two sections, and then the backplate. The chest was almost full.

The knight dropped to one knee, to unbuckle cuisses and greaves.

"But I would fain not continue calling you my lady, Nisa. You mean so very much to this simple hedge-knight..."

The last of the metal armour clanked into the chest, but Corbin remained on one knee in front of Nisa.

"There is, then, only one solution... Only one was I can continue to call you my lady without offending those who have earned that title through birth.

With solemn eyes, Corbin looked up at his beloved.

"Nisa... would you consent to be my bride?"

Nisa watched as Sir Corbin removed his armor and when he lowed to his knee to remove the last few pieces, she thought little of it, till he remained there. His question caught her off guard and she let out a soft gasp. Her big bown eyes looked down at him passed her long eyelashes and she remained unable to speak.

She and the knight had become so close, he saving her regularly since they had met and she saw in him a man of great integrity. In her dreams she called him Lord Corbin, anything less would have been below him. Lunium had whispered many promises to her over the years. Was this part of the God’s plan? But what could she offer him in return? It was true that she loved his with all her heart, and he seemed to feel the same, but what would happen in years to come when he looked to her to give him children, someone to carry on his legacy. How would be feel once he realized that she could not provide that. That choosing her ment the end of his bloodline? No! It didn't matter.... at least not at the moment. Nisa decided to live in this moment and let Lunium worry about the rest.

Finally a sweet smile graced her face and she reached out her right hand, slipping it into the knight’s calloused palm while the other gently slipped along his strong jaw line, caressing his face softly. She leaned forward to place a kiss on his lips. As she did, her soft bosom settled to the front of her dress, her porcelain cleavage filling the plunging neckline of her dress. Her soft pink lips parted to speak.

Suddenly there was a bang at the door, then a second as it swung open. A boy, in his early teens, stood with a armload of wood stacked so tall he couldn’t see passed it. One of the logs tumbled in the door and a second fell from the pile and he clumsily stumbled through the threshold. “Master Ragget said you need the fire build.” He said, his voice cracked twice as he spoke. His feet were large and someday he would be a tall man but right now, he was gangly and uncoordinated. He stumbled twice before reaching the fireplace. “It’s going to be a cold one tonight Sir. It’s a good thing you came in when you did. Master says this is the last room…. And I guess it’s better than sleeping in the loft of the stables or out in the alley but, boy, I wouldn’t want to sleep in the common room if I didn’t have to.” the youth chattered on as he went to work, building the fire in the fireplace. “And boy is this going to be a good tournament! Master Ragget said if I gets all my work done early, I can go with him and see all the knights compete at least one of the days. Whats are you going to compete…” the pot-boy turned from where he knelt to glance at the knight when he noticed Nisa as well.

The youth’s eyes were like saucers as he realized his mistake. He had barged into a room occupied by a woman! Fear was written all over his face as he looked at Nisa then at Sir Corbin and back again. “I…. oh by all the Gods, I’m sorry Lady and my Lord!!! I meant nothing by it, I swear.” He began to beg, his voice cracking more frequently. “I did not know…. Thats to say, if I had thought that she, that a lady was in here…. Oh please your lordship, please spare me.” He dropped to his knees. “I’z the only one in our family that can work and without me, my mom and little sisters will freeze and starve to death this coming winter.” tears of fear began to well up in the youth’s eyes. “And Master Ragget will fire me when you tell him about…” he glanced at Nisa as if she was the scariest thing he had ever seen. “Please my lady, I swear to you I didn’t mean….” he couldn’t finish his sentence, having to pause to wipe his nose on the back of his sleeve.

Last edited:
A cascade of emotions flooded through Corbin. There was, first of all, the lust generated by the pleasant way Nisa's lovely cleaveage had widened as she leaned forwards... and frustration at being interupted by the pot-boy. Amusement, too, at the pot-boys flood of chitter-chatter, and compassion at the fear the boy was feeling at the mistake he thought he had made and the trouble he might be in.

Everything else could wait - the formost thing was to end the boy's misery as gently as possible.

Rising to his feet, but remaining partly crouched so as not to intimidate teh boy, Corbin smiled a genuine smile.

"Calm yourself, lad. You have done naught wrong, save perhaps enter a little too eagerly. We asked for the fire to be made up, and here you are to see to it. No harm done."

Corbin's quiet kindness had its desired effect, and the young lad managed to dry his eyes.

"As for the Tourney, my main interest is in the Grand Melee. I hope to capture a prize or two. I shall leave the single jousts to the younger knights who have something to prove to the ladies of court - as you can see, I have already found a lady of my own." the knight said, with a wry chuckle.

Corbin stood and gestured towards the fireplace.

"Now lad, you came to do a job. Be as quick as you can, now, we don't want Master Ragget wondering if you've gotten lost up here."

The youth nodded but still remained timid. His task finished, he headed for the door only to find a long in the doorway. He picked it up clumsily and rushed it to the small stack he left beside the hearth and then made a beeline for the door again, only to find the first long he dropped just outside the door. Again he apologized, "I'm sorry my Lady, My Lord.....I will be out of your way in a moment, I promise...." he stammered then headed for the door again. "My the Gods smile on you Sir, in the tournament, and always on you My Lady." he mumbled as he shuffled out the door. the couple could hear his feet running along the hallway and down the stairs.

Nisa placed a gentle hand on the knight's shoulder. "I thought he was going to jump out of his skin, the poor thing." she said softly with a shake of her head.

Back