Isolated Blurts - The HT Cafe Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scalywag said:
do parent's ever stop worrying about their children, no matter what age they are?

I don't think so. I don't have children, but my parents constantly worry about us three kids - the oldest being 37 and the youngest at 29.
But will it make you feel better if I say that we, the children, try not to worry our parents?
 
Scalywag said:
do parent's ever stop worrying about their children, no matter what age they are?

No I am afraid the answer is no Scaly - I know my mom worried about us up to when she died.
 
all religions should permit clergy to marry, esp if they require celibacy of their clergy. how is someone supposed to minister meaningfully to families if they do not understand themselves the tensions of things like childrearing?

ed
 
Scalywag said:
do parent's ever stop worrying about their children, no matter what age they are?


No, they don't. They can cause you to lose sleep at every age. Going through a rough, really rough time with one of mine right now, so I know this. You never stop wanting to protect them, even if it's from themselves.
 
Scalywag said:
I think I can relate, at least a little. {{{{{bg}}}}}

I want them to be happy, but sometimes I find myself (especially with the oldest) offering advice when I know he doesn't want it.

But then I think, hey, he hasn't pulled half the shit I had already done when I was his age, so that should make me feel good, but it doesn't.


There's nothing worse than having to stand by and watch them make life decisions that you know in your gut will harm them. My biggest moral dilemma is knowing when to let them fail and when to step in and say, "STOP!" My "mother's" heart wants to take the hit for them every damn time.
 
Scalywag said:
do parent's ever stop worrying about their children, no matter what age they are?


I'm 44 years old and my parents still worry about me. And in my case the worrying has come full circle. A few years ago my 68 year old Dad bought a motorcyle. It's been at least 25 years since he'd been on a motorcycle and he's not the strong man that he was back then. I found myself really worrying about him. Perhaps this is a pay back for all the years of worry I cause him and Mom.

Sure puts some validity to one of my favorite sayings...What goes around comes around.
 
If you don't know it by now, I will say it plainly: I am always in your corner. I love you, you are my child, and as long as I draw breath, you will never be alone. Whatever it is, we will get through it.
 
Scalywag said:
I certainly worry about less things that I used to, but the weight of them is also much heavier than it used to be.

I am not a parent, unless you count my dog :D, but being a parent I think is one of the hardest jobs ever, especially in today's world. Being able to watch your child go and make decisions and not step in I believe is so hard, but also part of allowing them to grow up and become an adult.

A couple of years ago I hear how eagles decide who to mate with and some of the practices of raising their young. The female eagle looks for a male who is very, very strong as when their young are ready to learn to fly, she will toss them out of the nest. It is her mates job to catch them if they don't fly and fly them back to the nest.
 
bobsgirl said:
If you don't know it by now, I will say it plainly: I am always in your corner. I love you, you are my child, and as long as I draw breath, you will never be alone. Whatever it is, we will get through it.


So true.
 
i just told a good friend, "you know, when there's no interspecies butt touching, i think that's better."

ed
 
My kindergartener's all excited because she has her first loose tooth.

Loose teeth make me queasy.
 
silverwhisper said:
hence those weird tooth falling out dreams, or as a function of 'em?

ed

ed, honey, if I have one of those crumbling teeth dreams tonight, I'm going to blame you and I'll come looking for you with a trout... :D
 
On a totally different subject...

OMG, I cannot believe you called after all these years! You better believe I'll call you back, so we can laugh about first period German class when we were seniors in high school. Whaddya mean your daughter's getting married?! We're not old enough to have sons-in-law! :cool: :D
 
* Said too much I guess. I knew it was a gamble. I hope the email didn't cause a problem. I did enjoy the fun, thanks for the smiles.

* Waiting for a call... you had to have read it by now. Don't keep me in suspense.

* I need to find a way to converse with you without wanting to kick you in the shin. You need to stop telling me what to do, when you have a Harvard MD then you can tell me what to do, fair enough? Yeah, fair enough.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top