Free association thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
and is that at high, or low, tide? Furthermore, if the sea levels rise (and no doubt they will), will the heights of mountains have to be adjusted down?:confused:

Heights recorded by the British are measured from an Ordnance Datum which is usually mean high tide at a specified point. In the UK that is Newlyn.

The survey of India presumably took a place somewhere on the Indian coastline.

But Everest has grown higher since 1953. All the Himalayas are rising as the Earth's plates crash together. Everest was named after the man who was responsible for the survey. Odd note: His name was said as "Eve-Rest" but the Mountain is "Ever-Est".

Modern height measurements are taken by GPS systems.

Heights recorded by the British are measured from an Ordnance Datum which is usually mean high tide at a specified point. In the UK that is Newlyn.

The survey of India presumably took a place somewhere on the Indian coastline.

But Everest has grown higher since 1953. All the Himalayas are rising as the Earth's plates crash together. Everest was named after the man who was responsible for the survey. Odd note: His name was said as "Eve-Rest" but the Mountain is "Ever-Est".

Modern height measurements are taken by GPS systems.

Funny thing about GPS, Mine will tell me when I arrive at home that my driveway is anywhere between 5 feet below sea level to 42 above sea level. In a few hours though those numbers will change again. I definitely wouldn't sky dive on a GPS altimeter.

Funny thing about GPS, Mine will tell me when I arrive at home that my driveway is anywhere between 5 feet below sea level to 42 above sea level. In a few hours though those numbers will change again. I definitely wouldn't sky dive on a GPS altimeter.

Um, I don't think I would sky dive at all! It would blow all my fur about and I would have to be making a special trip to the hairdresser straight afterwards. ;)

Fur of Flying - it was a book, I think

Wasn't that Fun of Flying ?

And Everest is now quoted as being 29,029 ft high.
It was agreed by both Nepal & China at 8848m.
The sad bit is that the US Geological survey has a different value (8850m)
for reasons as yet unexplained.

Wasn't that Fun of Flying ?

Fun and games :)

When the US measured it, the Yeti was playing games with them by standing on top holding a rock above its head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back