August 2015 Challenge: Wtf is it this all about?

You are welcome.

And don't sell your "ridiculous" entries short. They sparked laughs and conversation.

As hard as you say it was, it should have also have been easy. And here is my reasoning as to why.

I don't care what anyone says. They have watched TV. They do watch TV. They will watch more TV.

They have had, have and will have favorite TV shows.

Even to the point of obsession!

Mwuahaha

And in recent years, services like Netflix and Hulu and Amazon have given us the ability to see what our international neighbors are watching. I'm not a big fan of British shows, but I found Derrick to be absolutely amazing. And I am still hoping to do a theme for The Fall .

Not to mention, many American shows nowadays are redos. Gracepoint for us was Broadchurch for Brits ( it even had the same lead actor ). We had an American version of Rake and The Slap. Our Resurrection was The Returned.

My initial challenge idea was to just write poems or songs about TV shows in the same manner that we write them about books, plays, operas and ..... other poems and songs. They are the "stories" that eventually become our theatrical movies and television shows anyhow, so it's safe to say that they can be reverse engineered back into poems and song.

However, writing a intro theme seemed a more intriguing way of encapsulating what a show was about without giving the entire plot or premise away. Give peeps a chance to experiment; mix and merge poetry and lyricality.

Hah! I did not write a Mad Men poem cause I was sure people would immediately know it was me.

I worked on a Seinfeld one and a Twilight zone one, they both sucked hard and I couldn't swallow my humiliation and offer them up. :eek:

And try though I might, I couldn't get the Project Runway one to come at all...

I worked on a Seinfeld one and a Twilight zone one, they both sucked hard and I couldn't swallow my humiliation and offer them up. :eek:

And try though I might, I couldn't get the Project Runway one to come at all...

* smacks Trix around *

Swallow it !

Some of mine need definitely need a rewrite.

X-Files is too long; first half doesn't mesh well with the second half.

Fringe is clumsy; the flow is impeded and it is too convoluted.

I spent the most time on Wayward Pines and Follow Me and if you are familiar with either, I think it shows.

Derek I ripped off in about 90 seconds. I just imagined I was Kevin with a beer in my hand.

A few minutes on IT and its comical because in my mind, I picture Pennywise the Clown doing the lead with female backup singers for the italicized lines.

Salem was effortless, but of course, I had a huge assist because light as a feather, stiff as a board are lines from a children's game dating back a few hundred years about magically levitating bodies.

If only GM had been available to the write theme for M*A*S*H. His version is far superior. The original was initially only meant to be sung by actors during a particular scene in the movie.

As far as a theme for the entire movie goes, "Suicide is Painless" it is a stinker.

Interesting Factoid: Supposedly written in 5 minutes a fifteen year old, it eventually earned the kid over 1 Million Dollars while his father only made $70,000 for directing the movie.

Some of mine need definitely need a rewrite.

X-Files is too long; first half doesn't mesh well with the second half.

Fringe is clumsy; the flow is impeded and it is too convoluted.

I spent the most time on Wayward Pines and Follow Me and if you are familiar with either, I think it shows.

Derek I ripped off in about 90 seconds. I just imagined I was Kevin with a beer in my hand.

A few minutes on IT and its comical because in my mind, I picture Pennywise the Clown doing the lead with female backup singers for the italicized lines.

Salem was effortless, but of course, I had a huge assist because light as a feather, stiff as a board are lines from a children's game dating back a few hundred years about magically levitating bodies.

Meh. I know I have errors and room for improvement, but when I start sweating details and getting deeply critical of my work, I have to step back and remind myself "Nothing I write is going to save the world..." It's all crumbs on the table. If someone reads it and finds something to laugh about, the most I've saved is a momentary heartbeat."

If only GM had been available to the write theme for M*A*S*H. His version is far superior. The original was initially only meant to be sung by actors during a particular scene in the movie.

As far as a theme for the entire movie goes, "Suicide is Painless" it is a stinker.

Interesting Factoid: Supposedly written in 5 minutes a fifteen year old, it eventually earned the kid over 1 Million Dollars while his father only made $70,000 for directing the movie.

Thanks, Magneton. Interesting story.

M.A.S.H. was a big deal in the seventies. Supposedly about the Korean War, it rode the anti-war momentum regarding Vietnam. It had some pretty good episodes, but for me it started to get boring when Klinger's hair looked like it was just coiffed in an upscale LA hairdresser's salon and "Hot Lips" looked more like a SoCal beach babe than an Army nurse.

Thanks, Magneton. Interesting story.

M.A.S.H. was a big deal in the seventies. Supposedly about the Korean War, it rode the anti-war momentum regarding Vietnam. It had some pretty good episodes, but for me it started to get boring when Klinger's hair looked like it was just coiffed in an upscale LA hairdresser's salon and "Hot Lips" looked more like a SoCal beach babe than an Army nurse.

My father served in WWII. He absolutely hated M*A*S*H. His reasoning was that it wasn't an accurate portrayal of what war was like. I don't think he understood that it was supposed to be a sitcom that had serious moments. Except for the final episode, it had laugh track for peep's sake.

Meh. I know I have errors and room for improvement, but when I start sweating details and getting deeply critical of my work, I have to step back and remind myself "Nothing I write is going to save the world..." It's all crumbs on the table. If someone reads it and finds something to laugh about, the most I've saved is a momentary heartbeat."

Everything I write will someday bring Poetry back from the brink of Extinction.

Mark my words.

Or push it over the edge.

Not sure which.

Back