Do you use ad-blocking browser extensions?

AdBlock Plus works well. Except on FB where the rat bastards started putting ads in the news feed.

AdBlock Plus works well. Except on FB where the rat bastards started putting ads in the news feed.

I just downloaded this on my phone and tumblr is add free.

Cheers Johnny. Makes me wish I'd tried harder at our relationship. :(

Yeah, I've been using it for years.

I first noticed Forbes preventing access if you don't disable it or subscribe.
Which is kinda funny considering Forbes not long before they started that policy, had an article about how malware is easily distributed via ads.

I'm seeing more and more sites doing the same.

Online content appears magically. Nobody who makes or host it need to pay rent or eat, yo.

Online content appears magically. Nobody who makes or host it need to pay rent or eat, yo.

I use Adblock Plus to make my browsing experience more pleasant. If they could make ads less obnoxious to view, I wouldn't need it.

You may have noticed more and more sites blocking your access until you disable it, whitelist the site or get a paid subscription.

Don't be tempted to disable or whitelist the sites. It's been known for some time advertisers are serving up malware infected ads.

615_1000.gif

"So, you just became aware of this today? People like yourself cease to amaze me."

"So, you just became aware of this today? People like yourself cease to amaze me."
What amazes me is people who can't read and feel compelled to post a snarky comment.

From the OP, which you quoted, but obviously didn't read.

"It's been known for some time advertisers are serving up malware infected ads"

using ABP and ublock origin keeps facebook from showing their ads most of the time

also, i use the disable html autoplay - that stops the autoplay vids on sites

I just use what MS has included in IE. Thinking of ditching IE for Chrome. IE hates sites with lots of ad banners.

So they should be allowed to deliver malware?

Everything can deliver malware. Ads are no more or less susceptible to it than other embedded or hotlinked content, that any modern media site is a patchwork of. Which is why you should have proper system wide protection.

I don't have an ad blocker and I've never had malware because of it. And reading as well as making online media is my job, so I'm probably more exposed to it than most.

Yep, I know that's anecdotal. Just sayin'.

Anyway, do you pay to get rid of ads when that's an option?

using ABP and ublock origin keeps facebook from showing their ads most of the time

also, i use the disable html autoplay - that stops the autoplay vids on sites

i ditched adblock plus and went with just ublock origin a week or so ago. works wonders. adblock plus was a favorite for ages, but it just hadn't been working very well the last month or so. made me sad to kick it to the curb, but whatever. i'm just glad i found something that works.

i ditched adblock plus and went with just ublock origin a week or so ago. works wonders. adblock plus was a favorite for ages, but it just hadn't been working very well the last month or so. made me sad to kick it to the curb, but whatever. i'm just glad i found something that works.

i found ublock because of the fact that adblock decided to allow ads to show as long as they were paid to unblock them

I use Adblock Plus to make my browsing experience more pleasant. If they could make ads less obnoxious to view, I wouldn't need it.

So for your convenience, you consider yourself entitled to other people's product for free?

Don't want to be contrarian just for the hell of it here, I really don't. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Might be because ad financed online journalism is my livelihood.

i found ublock because of the fact that adblock decided to allow ads to show as long as they were paid to unblock them

ah, makes sense. wouldn't be first time i've had to ditch something that was once reliable because the fuckers who made it sold out.

So for your convenience, you consider yourself entitled to other people's product for free?

Don't want to be contrarian just for the hell of it here, I really don't. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Might be because ad financed online journalism is my livelihood.

Convince advertisers to tone down their obnoxious space grabbing ads and maybe I'll reconsider blocking their crap. Good luck with that. If ads weren't so horribly intrusive, ad blocking software wouldn't even be a thing. Do you sit and watch all the commercials or skip through them whenever possible? If you don't skip, you're in the minority. Ads suck unless they're super bowl ads.

Also, if people can get something for free, most of them will. It may not be a nice thing to do but humans tend to be selfish, greedy assholes, especially on the internet.

Convince advertisers to tone down their obnoxious space grabbing ads and maybe I'll reconsider blocking their crap. Good luck with that. If ads weren't so horribly intrusive, ad blocking software wouldn't even be a thing. Do you sit and watch all the commercials or skip through them whenever possible? If you don't skip, you're in the minority. Ads suck unless they're super bowl ads.

Also, if people can get something for free, most of them will. It may not be a nice thing to do but humans tend to be selfish, greedy assholes, especially on the internet.

I think his point is more that whatever site you're on gets their revenue from ads so essentially you're stealing from the site not the advertisers.

Back