Saiyaman's artwork: the thread

Happy Halloween everybody.

halloween_2012_by_rastasaiyaman-d5ixngk.jpg


Halloween2012PK.jpg
 
Well usually I color my artworks digitally but I'm not averse at doing it the old fashioned way, which was the intention for my latest piece of artwork here. I had this set of Bruynzeel felttip pens around and decided to see what kind of result I'd get when using those.

As for the picture itself, my intention was to depict Toph Beifong from Avatar the last airbender together with her daughter Lin Beifong from Avatar Legend of Korra. With Toph being in her forties and Lin being 10 year old.

The initial sketching and the working out of the sketches went well but when I tried to color it, the result was so bad that I decided to abandon it. In the end it's just Lin who I ended up coloring.

But despite that, the picture is still good in the way it is, so here it is.

toph_and_lin_beifong_by_rastasaiyaman-d5lqoxo.jpg
 
I enjoyed your stories as well as the pictures accompanying them.
Keep writing and drawing.
 
Since "The Season" is around the corner here's a Christmas themed one, were the three wise men really that wise to visit King Herod and tell him about the new born king?

were_the_three_wise_men_really_that_wise__by_rastasaiyaman-d5nv7l2.jpg
 
Well I have a host of new stuff to show you guys so here we go.

Here's a story that I started back in 2007 and only recently have picked up again, the difference in how I process my work is evident.

First though a little explanation:
Amelia-d.jpg

This is Amelia, a girl who knows Daria from the summer camp where they met. Amelia is brash enthusiastic and although always well meaning, she can be a bit of a bother.

LinkAndONeill1.png

This is Link a boy who Daria meets at a summer camp where her parents have forced her into working at. Link, like Daria is an intellectual outcast with misunderstanding peers, parents and teachers all around him.

In my story we have these two who have nothing in common aside from knowing Daria, meet up...

Daria-the-camp-we-used-to-fear-Page-1.big.jpg


Daria-the-camp-we-used-to-fear-Page-2.big.jpg


Daria-the-camp-we-used-to-fear-Page-3.big.jpg


Daria-the-camp-we-used-to-fear-Page-4.big.jpg
 
I read my way through the whole of your thread and I really enjoyed it. Thank you.
 
Merry belated Christmas.

This is Skeletor, main villian of the eighties cartoon series "Masters of the universe"
skeletor.jpg


Now before Skeletor became Skeletor he was Keldor.
keldor20.jpg

Keldor got acid in his face during a battle against his brother King Randor and it took black magic to save his life which changed him into Skeletor.
Myface.jpg


hev305.jpg

Prior to that Keldor had a romance with Evil Lyn but after he became Skeletor he was unable to express feelings of love, so their relationship became pure business.

In my latest comic, I show that there was something else bothering Evil Lyn about her lover...
Keldors-problem.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here's my latest and it's from the series of Peanuts, which I always loved to read.

Now Violet has been arriving late for practices lately and the other girls suspect that there might be a boyfriend involved, turns out that they're right...

Peanuts-late-for-practice.jpg
 
toph_zps586a5d7b.jpg


Inspired by the preview pages of "Avatar the last airbender, The Rift" here's Toph being reminded of her strict upbringing and the excuse her father always used for having her go through all that she went through by telling her "Young lady, That's just how it's done."

The drawing was done using a 5B pencil

toph_beifong__that_s_just_how_it_s_done_by_rastasaiyaman-d72umo0.jpg
 
Creative, but lacking a good story.

It's all too cliche. Too cubicle. Just my opinion.
 
Creative, but lacking a good story.

It's all too cliche. Too cubicle. Just my opinion.

Well what more should it need then? I wonder around with ideas, I put them to paper and most of it's off the cuff, the way it should be.

So how would you say I can improve on that?
 
Well what more should it need then? I wonder around with ideas, I put them to paper and most of it's off the cuff, the way it should be.

So how would you say I can improve on that?

I'm not so sure. Time and thought and effort really shines through when it comes to art. Any art. You should love what you do. Loving what you do speaks volumes. Effort and respect for what you know is art. Being able to compromise.
 
I stumbled across your art today and am blown away. great stuff, really. Clearly more study is required, which I will do tonight.
 
I had this idea for quite some time and the more I thought of it the funnier it became, so here's a three page comic involving The quarterback who after hearing an off-the-cuff remark sets out in search of the truth and it takes him to a hardware store...

1620524_534647473315601_1570940577_n.jpg


1622076_534647526648929_278531671_n.jpg


1797954_534647559982259_383286098_n.jpg
 
Well, anybody who's familiar with the "Peanuts" series, is aware that Charlie Brown's little sister Sally has a big crush on Linus van Pelt, even going as far as giving him an affectionate nickname.
a95dd91f90baf46dbd726526430961f8.jpg


But in the mid eighties, Sally got competition from a girl called Tapioca Pudding, who's father was in licensing and hoped to make big bucks putting his daughter's cute face on T-shirts and Lunchboxes.
250688.full.gif

She took a liking to Linus instantly, much to Sally's rage...
tp3.jpg


In my comic, Tapioca has returned and her licensing business has expanded somewhat.
1315747%20-%20Linus_van_Pelt%20Peanuts%20Saiyaman%20Sally_Brown%20Tapioca_Pudding.JPG
 
Well while rummaging through my old artworks I came across some very early Daria art I did including a Daria/Peanuts crossover.

But before I show those, a little history about how my way of drawing evolved and the comic strips I used to read. When I was a teenager, I was a rabid fan of comics such as Buck Danny, Dan Cooper and Tanguy and Laverdure, all of which are comics about jet pilots.

So I took a shot of drawing those comics myself, only to find that it was a hell of a lot more difficult than I thought.

Still, you can recognize the Fouga Magister, the F-16 Falcon, the F-14 Tomcat and the MiG-15 in the drawings, crude as they were.
10014594_549962025117479_991451227_n.jpg

Dramatic scene of the underside of a Grumman F-14 Tomcat with its afterburners blazing.

3843_549962058450809_100252461_n.jpg

An air to air battle between a Fouga Magister and a MiG-15

1383000_549962055117476_928703782_n.jpg

An F-16 using its cannons to bring a Fouga Magister down

1912280_549962168450798_1851738786_n.jpg

A very dramatic scene of an F-16 exploding after being hit with a sidewinder missile.

Dayum, I said that my drawings were crude but this one is rather impressive.

1932353_549962241784124_1914244699_n.jpg

So I fancied myself as being a fighter pilot, but then again, how many more boys in their teens fancy themselves to be piloting such a mean machine.

The fact that I have the name "Sandra" on my helmet places this in 1994.


1979736_549966158450399_911053316_n.jpg

I drew these in 1997 in college

10015010_549966238450391_2016897607_n.jpg

and this one comes from 1998
 
Back
Top