Some questions and comments from a noob

Nexte100

Noob
Hey all, new Lit writer here. Have written fetish work elsewhere online previously and I'm finding it a little difficult to adapt to Lit culture and operating procedures. A few questions for the vets:

1. Is there really any point to assigning tags? It seems like every story I submit, the mods strip the majority of tags off of it that I feel are appropriate.

2. What's the actual process of submitting edits? I followed the instructions in the FAQ and submitted an edited story with the same title with "-EDITED" appended, and it's been processing for a week. Do these just not get priority? I guess I can understand that, but I would have thought it's more of a FIFO queue.

3. Is there a particular reason that the mods read every submission before publishing? I've browsed many other erotic lit sites that have no such mod functions, favoring to cover themselves with broad disclaimers and firm posting regulations (e.g. "no stories involving minors", etc) in the event that something inappropriate is posted.

4. Chapter lengths here are what I would consider to be exceptionally lengthy. I'm sure it's nice as a reader to be able to enjoy >12k word chapters, but this far exceeds the length of a normal chapter in a novel. In my other postings, my chapters were closer to 5k words and far more frequent, but I've attempted to up my game based on some comments from my readers that have suggested a minimum 2 full pages (~8k words) is required for good ratings. I'm also trying to deal with other comments that have indicated they wished that I posted more than once every 7-10 days, but I don't have the bandwidth to write more than approx 750-800 words per day, so it's a trade off. Given this writing pace, what would you recommend as far as length/freq of updates?

I know I will draw ire in saying so, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Lit system for writers. I feel it's overly burdensome and restrictive, and the average 2-4 day submission vetting process is excessive. Submissions are either very simplified HTML or they take a week or more (my first submission I simply sent via word doc attachment, and I waited over a week until giving up and converting it to HTML and resubmitting). I had one submission rejected based on the HTML code I put in - I'm using an HTML converter tool and apparently it didn't strip enough of the tags out or something. I fixed my submission and appended it with a note to the mods asking if they could recommend a good converter for me and they rejected the submission again just to reply that I should just attach the word doc. The whole point was to avoid the 7+ day submission time, but by the time I actually got it published it was well beyond that anyway with all the rejections.

Forgive me the soapbox, but I'm accustomed to a forum-style submission format, where my content is simply posted and edited immediately. I'm just having some growing pains with this method knowing that I can make a simple mistake in a single chapter and it could take weeks to correct.

Hey all, new Lit writer here. Have written fetish work elsewhere online previously and I'm finding it a little difficult to adapt to Lit culture and operating procedures. A few questions for the vets:

1. Is there really any point to assigning tags? It seems like every story I submit, the mods strip the majority of tags off of it that I feel are appropriate.

2. What's the actual process of submitting edits? I followed the instructions in the FAQ and submitted an edited story with the same title with "-EDITED" appended, and it's been processing for a week. Do these just not get priority? I guess I can understand that, but I would have thought it's more of a FIFO queue.

3. Is there a particular reason that the mods read every submission before publishing? I've browsed many other erotic lit sites that have no such mod functions, favoring to cover themselves with broad disclaimers and firm posting regulations (e.g. "no stories involving minors", etc) in the event that something inappropriate is posted.

4. Chapter lengths here are what I would consider to be exceptionally lengthy. I'm sure it's nice as a reader to be able to enjoy >12k word chapters, but this far exceeds the length of a normal chapter in a novel. In my other postings, my chapters were closer to 5k words and far more frequent, but I've attempted to up my game based on some comments from my readers that have suggested a minimum 2 full pages (~8k words) is required for good ratings. I'm also trying to deal with other comments that have indicated they wished that I posted more than once every 7-10 days, but I don't have the bandwidth to write more than approx 750-800 words per day, so it's a trade off. Given this writing pace, what would you recommend as far as length/freq of updates?

I know I will draw ire in saying so, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Lit system for writers. I feel it's overly burdensome and restrictive, and the average 2-4 day submission vetting process is excessive. Submissions are either very simplified HTML or they take a week or more (my first submission I simply sent via word doc attachment, and I waited over a week until giving up and converting it to HTML and resubmitting). I had one submission rejected based on the HTML code I put in - I'm using an HTML converter tool and apparently it didn't strip enough of the tags out or something. I fixed my submission and appended it with a note to the mods asking if they could recommend a good converter for me and they rejected the submission again just to reply that I should just attach the word doc. The whole point was to avoid the 7+ day submission time, but by the time I actually got it published it was well beyond that anyway with all the rejections.

Forgive me the soapbox, but I'm accustomed to a forum-style submission format, where my content is simply posted and edited immediately. I'm just having some growing pains with this method knowing that I can make a simple mistake in a single chapter and it could take weeks to correct.

You must keep in mind that this is a mom and pop operation. It's basically run by two people, and they're probably doing the best they can. There are plenty of areas for improvement, but it's still, as far as I can see, the best erotic story site going. That's why I only publish here (that and inertia).

1. I have not had a similar problem with tags. When selecting tags, go to the tag page for the category in which you are going to publish and ID the best and most popular tags. You should be OK. Tags are important for maximizing readers.

2. Edits don't get priority. We're in the middle of a contest right now, and contest stories get priority. You just have to wait a little longer.

3. Laurel does not read every story in depth, so I understand. She skims them to make sure they meet content standards and are listed for the right category. Lit is a little more restrictive re erotic content than some sites. That's just the way it is.

4. The answer re updates is, if you can, to finish the entire story before submitting the first chapter, and thereafter to publish the chapters relatively close together so you don't lose readers. Yes, readers here for whatever reason tend to rank stories/chapters of 2-3 pages or more more highly than stories/chapters of 1 page or less. That's just the way it is.

If you have, say, a 30,000 word story, don't submit it in chapters. Submit it as one story.

1. Yes. It helps readers to search for a story but some tags are unacceptable e.g. rape and about 8 is the maximum.

2. Yes, you did it correctly but edits have a low priority and see 3 below.

3. There is only one person, Laurel, who reviews every submission (and every edit) to ensure that the site's rules e.g. no description of sexual activity before age 18 are followed. During contests, the Nude Day one is running now, contest entries get priority ahead of all other stories and those are ahead of edits. Why? Those are the site's rules and Laurel tries hard to ensure they are not broken. Beyond that I speculate, and it is only my opinion,that she is trying to avoid difficulties with some moral and religious groups in the US who see any erotica as something they should ban totally. I think she is playing as safe as she can. Yahoo's adult groups, for example, have been significantly downgraded and some shut unilaterally as a result of campaigns but some US based morality crusaders.

New writers and those who have come close to breaking the site's rules have their submissions examined in more depth and Laurel's time is limited so they take longer to be approved than an established author who observes Lit's rules diligently.

4. Chapter and story length have been frequently discussed in the Authors' Hangout. The general advice is to write as short or as long as you like. There are readers for almost any length.

% Plain text is easier to manage than HTML and only limited HTML works. Again we have discussed this at length and there are How-Tos on how to fit with Lit.

As someone who has been here a long time, 7+ days for approval of a story is lightning fast compared with Lit's past, and when a contst isn't running the process is usually faster than that.

Despite its flaws, which most of us have moaned about, the exposure of a story on Literotica is usually much greater than any other site. We like it but appreciate that with one person reviewing every submission there is a delay in getting a story posted (and only when it is posted do we see the typos we'ds missed!).

"The mods" don't exist. Manu runs the tech side; Laurel publishes, meaning she passes on every single submission, 100+ per day. Her processes and rules have made LIT the net's top erotic text site, so why should she change?

The greatest attribute of any newish LIT author: patience. Followed by: indifference. Don't sweat the delays, the comments, the fucktards. Write what you want (within the rules) and then write something else.

Submissions are either very simplified HTML or they take a week or more (my first submission I simply sent via word doc attachment, and I waited over a week until giving up and converting it to HTML and resubmitting). I had one submission rejected based on the HTML code I put in - I'm using an HTML converter tool and apparently it didn't strip enough of the tags out or something. I fixed my submission and appended it with a note to the mods asking if they could recommend a good converter for me and they rejected the submission again just to reply that I should just attach the word doc. The whole point was to avoid the 7+ day submission time, but by the time I actually got it published it was well beyond that anyway with all the rejections.
You can just put the HTML code into your story as you write it. That's what I do. I mainly use italics (<i> </i>) and bold (<strong> </strong>).

4. Chapter and story length have been frequently discussed in the Authors' Hangout. The general advice is to write as short or as long as you like. There are readers for almost any length.

I would second Ogg's advice. Unless high scores are more important than life and death, write what you want to write. I have written many one-pagers and while that means I get frequent enquiries concerning 'where's the rest?', and more than a few one-bombing attacks, there is still a discerning audience for well-written short stuff.

Good luck.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the site rules and guidelines.

There's a limit to the number of tags you can use. I have nine on my most recent story, and I think that was the limit. Some tags are not allowed (rape, murder, child, and others). The tags are used by the search engine and future site revisions may make them more significant.

You probably did it right, but edits do not get priority treatment. I think that is said in the instructions.

Unlike some sites, Literotica has content standards for content, format and even editing. Submissions are reviewed for consistency with the standards.

Are you using "chapters" to refer to any published text?

A lot of readers like to sink their teeth into longer pieces. I'm told that publisher's guidelines for chapters in a story are usually around 3k words. That's less than 1 full Lit page and unless it's very rich with content, readers here are likely to complain and/or rate the story lower.

That said, you can write your story any way you want.

You need to familiarize yourself with submission guidelines before you complain.

The site accepts only a very limited set of HTML tags, and those tags are ignored by Lit's Android app.

According to the site's help info, submitting a story as a word processing document requires more time for approval. The quickest means to publish is to either upload the story as a text file or copy-and-paste the story into the submission form. You can also user an RTF file. That way you don't have to insert the HTML tags yourself.

Welcome to a site with standards. I hope you enjoy yourself.

I would second Ogg's advice. Unless high scores are more important than life and death, write what you want to write. I have written many one-pagers and while that means I get frequent enquiries concerning 'where's the rest?', and more than a few one-bombing attacks, there is still a discerning audience for well-written short stuff.

Good luck.

I'm going to respectfully dissent from this viewpoint. In general, yes, write what you want, and write it the way you want, and to hell with what others think.

But if you're going to write, let's say, a 33,000 (9 Lit page) story, why not submit it in a way that reaches the most readers?

You could publish 9 1 page chapters. This would be the wrong way to do it for three reasons:

1. Lit readers are less likely to be satisfied with a 1 page chapter and will downvote your chapter. Lower votes means fewer readers.
2. You will get a high attrition rate after the first chapter, and some attrition after that with each chapter, and by the time you publish the last chapter you will have lost many readers through the attrition that always happens.
3. If you publish the first chapter before you've finished the whole story, and you take a long time writing the next chapter after publishing the last one, there's a good chance there will be a substantial loss of readers because of the delay. That's why it's better to write the whole thing (if it's not too long) and submit all the chapters close together.

You're much better off submitting a story of that length as one story, or in three 3-page chapters, published closely together.

It makes no difference artistically, but it does make a difference in terms of using Lit's peculiarities to reach more readers.

I'm going to respectfully dissent from this viewpoint. In general, yes, write what you want, and write it the way you want, and to hell with what others think.

But if you're going to write, let's say, a 33,000 (9 Lit page) story, why not submit it in a way that reaches the most readers?

I'll agree with Sam and Ogg. There are a lot of reason's for publishing stories here other than getting the most readers.

Just write the story you want the way you want to write it. If that means going for the most readers, then do it. If it means making yourself happy by writing your story your way, then do it.

I'll agree with Sam and Ogg. There are a lot of reason's for publishing stories here other than getting the most readers.
Agree this. There's a bird for every one of us, and plenty of rocks for them to sit on.

Simon's sister Suzie said, "Has Simon been chucking rocks at the puffins again?"

His magnificent mom replied, "Yes, but he only does it to annoy. He's a good boy really, his heart's in the right place."

Suzy sighed. "And his hands are too."

Carry on ;).

Thanks to all for the responses. Addressing a few by NotWise for clarification:

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the site rules and guidelines.
I believe I have. I've been posting on online message forums before there was a (mainstream) internet, an I'm not one to run off half-cocked without fully absorbing FAQs and posted guidelines.

There's a limit to the number of tags you can use. I have nine on my most recent story, and I think that was the limit. Some tags are not allowed (rape, murder, child, and others). The tags are used by the search engine and future site revisions may make them more significant.

I understand, and IMO some very relevant tags I've added have been stripped, even though the final product received far less than 10 tags. For example, one of my story chapters was stripped down to 5 tags from the 8-9 I submitted, including the tag "giantess" to describe a story featuring erotic scenarios with women between 9-10'. Is this common?

Again, I read the FAQ in depth before posting, and was lead to believe that I had autonomy (at least to a large extent as long as they weren't prohibited) with regard to selection of tags, but not necessarily categories, which generally received more scrutiny/adjustment by Laurel. The FAQ is quite clear about allowing 10 tags, but every story chapter I've submitted to date (7 so far) has had tags stripped down well under this limit.

The process I've used to select them thus far was to select the category I'm posting in (Sci-Fi/Fantasy), then click on tags to see which ones are the most common that align with the ones I feel are appropriate, making sure that spelling is the same. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

You probably did it right, but edits do not get priority treatment. I think that is said in the instructions.

This is what is shown in the FAQ:

"Edited stories take up to 48 hours to appear correctly on the site as the pages must be regenerated by the site scripts. If after 48 hours your submission edits are still not showing, please email us a link to the work in question."

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but I read that to mean that they would be posted faster than regular submissions (48 hours vice 3-7 days). Maybe they mean that it's the normal processing time PLUS the 48 hours?

Last edited:
I understand, and IMO some very relevant tags I've added have been stripped, even though the final product received far less than 10 tags. For example, this story chapter: https://www.literotica.com/s/paradise-found-ch-02-1 was stripped down to 5 tags from the 8-9 I submitted, including the tag "giantess" to describe a story featuring erotic scenarios with women between 9-10'. Is this common?

I've seen the same thing. Repeatedly. I can understand rejecting a story for content. But rejecting a relevant tag that accurately describes an accepted story? If I thought they'd be accepted, I'd probably be editing most of my posted stories to add the missing tags back in.

I believe I have. I've been posting on online message forums before there was a (mainstream) internet, an I'm not one to run off half-cocked without fully absorbing FAQs and posted guidelines.

More than anything else, it was your question about why stories are reviewed that prompted my comment. I don't understand why you would ask that question if you'd read enough of the available guidance to understand that the site tries to enforce standards.

I understand, and IMO some very relevant tags I've added have been stripped, even though the final product received far less than 10 tags. For example, this story chapter: https://www.literotica.com/s/paradise-found-ch-02-1 was stripped down to 5 tags from the 8-9 I submitted, including the tag "giantess" to describe a story featuring erotic scenarios with women between 9-10'. Is this common?

Again, I read the FAQ in depth before posting, and was lead to believe that I had autonomy (at least to a large extent as long as they weren't prohibited) with regard to selection of tags, but not necessarily categories, which generally received more scrutiny/adjustment by Laurel. The FAQ is quite clear about allowing 10 tags, but every story chapter I've submitted to date (7 so far) has had tags stripped down well under this limit.

I don't know why Laurel would remove tags that weren't otherwise prohibited or over the numeric limit. I think she may have removed tags that I offered. I know for sure that she's added tags that I didn't include.

The site has expressed a goal to move to a more tag-oriented structure. Laurel and Manu may be encouraging a smaller set of tags so that the tags are more useful from the site's point of view. That is largely speculation on my part.

The process I've used to select them thus far was to select the category I'm posting in (Sci-Fi/Fantasy), then click on tags to see which ones are the most common that align with the ones I feel are appropriate, making sure that spelling is the same. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

I don't know that you're getting anything wrong, but did you get "giantess" that way?

This is what is shown in the FAQ:

"Edited stories take up to 48 hours to appear correctly on the site as the pages must be regenerated by the site scripts. If after 48 hours your submission edits are still not showing, please email us a link to the work in question."

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but I read that to mean that they would be posted faster than regular submissions (48 hours vice 3-7 days). Maybe they mean that it's the normal processing time PLUS the 48 hours?

If I remember the context correctly, what the FAQ is saying is that after an edit is accepted it may take up to 48 hours for the changes to work their way through the servers and appear in the published story. That is in addition to the amount of time it takes for Laurel to review and approve the change.

It may take 3-7 days for a new author to have their stories approved. After that, two days is fairly common for non-contest stories. Contest stories get priority treatment and they can be published more quickly. I submitted my story for the Nude Day contest on Sunday morning and it was published that night.

One of the problems with Lit is that the available help documents are of varying age, and some may be outdated. There are a lot of different sources. I think I read them for two weeks before I published my first story.

1. Yes. It helps readers to search for a story but some tags are unacceptable e.g. rape and about 8 is the maximum.

Someone else might have already commented on this, but, if not, the maximum number of tags you can assign is 10. I try always to have 10.

If I remember the context correctly, what the FAQ is saying is that after an edit is accepted it may take up to 48 hours for the changes to work their way through the servers and appear in the published story. That is in addition to the amount of time it takes for Laurel to review and approve the change.

It may take 3-7 days for a new author to have their stories approved. After that, two days is fairly common for non-contest stories. Contest stories get priority treatment and they can be published more quickly. I submitted my story for the Nude Day contest on Sunday morning and it was published that night.
That's my take on it, too. Edits always appear to be lower priority than new content - whenever this comes up, 5-7 days seems typical (outside of a contest period). Newbies, likewise, can expect 4-6 days for their first stories to clear which is always attributed to closer scanning of content for compliance. However, I did have an edit go through not so long ago in 24 hours, so maybe Kitty-Mama looked favourably on me.

Tags = ten. I don't pay huge attention to them, but iirc Laurel has added tags to some of my stories but never removed any (but then, I don't write giantess stories so maybe there's a whole new world of weird going on there, of which I know nothing).

I reckon the OP hurtled in with a popcorn post with expectations set too high based on other sites; not realising that Lit has rules and legacy based on twenty years of operation, which results in a whole different user experience with a charm all its own. And then he crashed headlong into the regulars around here, with the usual results.

There really should be a big sign at the top of the page that says, "Keep your critical opinions to yourself until you have: a) lurked for at least a month to discover b) the personalities; c) the fact that you are the 99,746th person to ask these questions and express these views; d) the answers don't change; and e) join in with decorum, tact, and taste. And everything will be fine.

Welcome to Lit :).

T
There really should be a big sign at the top of the page that says, "Keep your critical opinions to yourself until you have: a) lurked for at least a month to discover b) the personalities; c) the fact that you are the 99,746th person to ask these questions and express these views; d) the answers don't change; and e) join in with decorum, tact, and taste. And everything will be fine.

Amen to that.

More than anything else, it was your question about why stories are reviewed that prompted my comment. I don't understand why you would ask that question if you'd read enough of the available guidance to understand that the site tries to enforce standards.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but I fail to understand the relevance of standards to asking why stories are reviewed. Most sites have standards, but do not require manual review of all content by owners/admins. This does not constitute the definition of a standard, after all. I question why they are reviewed manually because it appears more that they are scanned for illegal/objectionable material than for quality. I'm inferring that you intend the latter, however. Is that what you mean?

The vast (and I mean VAST) majority of online websites rely on small teams of volunteer moderators to eliminate such objectionable material after the fact, lessening the burden on the owner to vet everything. Disclaimers and forum rules are apparently defense enough against inadvertent illegal (underage, etc) material being posted.

This, more than my desire to understand the nuances of process, motivated me to ask why they review everything.

Perhaps it's in an attempt to eliminate unrelated material, like advertisements and spam. That, I could certainly see. But this still does not make Lit unique in having standards.

I don't know why Laurel would remove tags that weren't otherwise prohibited or over the numeric limit. I think she may have removed tags that I offered. I know for sure that she's added tags that I didn't include.

The site has expressed a goal to move to a more tag-oriented structure. Laurel and Manu may be encouraging a smaller set of tags so that the tags are more useful from the site's point of view. That is largely speculation on my part.

Interesting. However, from a writer's perspective, more tags are ALWAYS better in gaining an audience, so I still feel it's a disservice to strip them without cause.

I don't know that you're getting anything wrong, but did you get "giantess" that way?

https://www.literotica.com/c/science-fiction-fantasy/tags

It's on the list, yes.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but I fail to understand the relevance of standards to asking why stories are reviewed. Most sites have standards, but do not require manual review of all content by owners/admins.
This is not "most online sites". This is LIT, a private concern run the way the owner wishes. Whine all you want. You won't get far.

Laurel is goddess here. Stories must pass her sometimes imperfect scrutiny. She's successfully run LIT for decades by applying her standards. Nobody is forcing you to meet her standards. You are free to post stuff anywhere that will have you. But this is how things work here. Whining gains no sympathy.

I think that, as is often the case, we're getting close to the "Buzz off and create your own Web site" stage of this thread.

I have nothing to add to the actual conversation, I'm just here to make an old message board comment

"We're sorry, let me offer you a refund on your membership fees"

Seriously though, the rules have been in place for what, pushing 20 years now? They work as is, and they aren't changing. This isn't a democracy.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but I fail to understand the relevance of standards to asking why stories are reviewed. Most sites have standards, but do not require manual review of all content by owners/admins.

If the site doesn't review content before it's published, then they don't actually have standards. They just respond to complaints. Maybe.

This is not "most online sites". This is LIT, a private concern run the way the owner wishes. Whine all you want. You won't get far.

Laurel is goddess here. Stories must pass her sometimes imperfect scrutiny. She's successfully run LIT for decades by applying her standards. Nobody is forcing you to meet her standards. You are free to post stuff anywhere that will have you. But this is how things work here. Whining gains no sympathy.
And there's a pretty good reason for her sustained policy:

Today's Alexa ranking for Literotica = 2,371

Competitors:
lushstories.com = 37,691
asstr.org =14,221
Sexstories.com = 8,180
nifty.org = 12,790
asexstories.com= 13,872

Nobody comes close in terms of site ranking, not by a long shot. Standards work.

Appreciate the responses. At this point this thread is tanking the ratings of the one story chapter I linked (went from 4.75 in 16 votes to 4.45 in 20 within 20 mins of me posting this - it took me 2 full days to get those 16...), so I'll just go ahead and go away now. All is well. And since I can't delete a thread, if you folks that replied to my post linking my work could kindly go ahead and edit that out, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks again.

At this point this thread is tanking the ratings of the one story chapter I linked (went from 4.75 in 16 votes to 4.45 in 20 within 20 mins of me posting this - it took me 2 full days to get those 16...), so I'll just go ahead and go away now.

Such 'dips' are not uncommon. And they probably have nothing to do with anything you have said here. But don't worry, a sweep will probably tidy things up at some stage. Good luck.

And just in case Laurel is following this thread ... Thank you, ma'am. And you too, Manu. Some of us really appreciate having a place where our only job is to (carefully) string two or three or 20 thousand words together. :)

Back