Free Association thread 6

Knowing that you don't know and are prepared to admit it is a step on the path to wisdom...

Knowing that you don't know and are prepared to admit it is a step on the path to wisdom...

We sometimes know what we know. And we sometimes know what we don't know. But it's the things that we don't know we don't know that often trip us up. :)

We sometimes know what we know. And we sometimes know what we don't know. But it's the things that we don't know we don't know that often trip us up. :)

And there's always the problem of things that we know but wish we didn't know. :devil:

all ignorance toboggans into know
and trudges up to ignorance again:
but winter’s not forever,even snow
melts;and if spring should spoil the game,what then?

all history’s a winter sport or three:
but were it five,i’d still insist that all
history is too small for even me;
for me and you,exceedingly too small.

Swoop(shrill collective myth)into thy grave
merely toil the scale to shrillerness
per every madge and mabel dick and dave
-tomorrow is our permanent address

and there they’ll scarcely find us(if they do,
we’ll move away still further:into now

-- e. e. cummings

"Swoop" ?
That's a box of seeds for the garden birds. . . .

swoop
verb [ I ] UK ​ /swuːp/ US ​ /swuːp/

to move very quickly and easily through the air, especially down from a height in order to attack:

The eagle swooped down to snatch a young rabbit.

informal to make a sudden attack on a place or group of people in order to surround and catch them:

Undercover police swooped on three houses in the city at 5.00 this morning.

swoop
verb [ I ] UK ​ /swuːp/ US ​ /swuːp/

to move very quickly and easily through the air, especially down from a height in order to attack:

The eagle swooped down to snatch a young rabbit.

informal to make a sudden attack on a place or group of people in order to surround and catch them:

Undercover police swooped on three houses in the city at 5.00 this morning.

I always wondered about that last one.
Did the Police use Gliders to swoop upon their prey ?

You passed the course, obviously; that should be enjoyable.

The certificate didn't impress later employers, nor did the certificates for firefighting under nuclear or biological attack or in a submerged submarine.

They were seen as 'not relevant'.

The certificate didn't impress later employers, nor did the certificates for firefighting under nuclear or biological attack or in a submerged submarine.

They were seen as 'not relevant'.

Employers seldom understand what's really relevant. In the 1th Century, you know, it didn't matter what your degree was in; the fact that you earned one demonstrated that you could learn any thing. The 20th Century saw "training" replace education.

Employers seldom understand what's really relevant. In the 1th Century, you know, it didn't matter what your degree was in; the fact that you earned one demonstrated that you could learn any thing. The 20th Century saw "training" replace education.

One employer, as part of their recruitment paperwork, asked for details of ALL training received in my previous employment but did not ask any questions about health problems.

My list of training over 30 years, with a single line for each course, covered 14 A4 pages. The unasked health questions might have detailed the injuries I had suffered as part of the courses. :rolleyes:

One employer, as part of their recruitment paperwork, asked for details of ALL training received in my previous employment but did not ask any questions about health problems.

My list of training over 30 years, with a single line for each course, covered 14 A4 pages. The unasked health questions might have detailed the injuries I had suffered as part of the courses. :rolleyes:

Would the answers to the "health" question have taken another 14 pages ?? :)

No, HP - just one paragraph - spine damaged by repeated trauma...

Back in my student days, I had a holiday job working in a meat processing plant.

The crème de la crème of the butchers were the guys who worked in the boning room, taking quarters of beef and reducing them into their various cuts in less time than it takes to make a cup of tea.

Each Monday morning began with a safety briefing. The beef quarters were heavy; the knives were sharp; the floor and the cutting surfaces were wet.

One Monday morning, the foreman got the top butcher to give a demonstration while he, the foreman, gave a commentary. All went well until just after the foreman said: ‘And if you drop your knife, let it fall. Do not try to catch it.’

Bill, the demonstrating butcher, dropped his knife and, instinctively made a grab for it. He caught it. By the blade. And neatly severed two tendons. Ouch!

Oh Sh1t !!
I use an old-ish PC (Windows 7, 64 bit) with Firefox, a browser I have used for a good while. As I am really p1$$ed off by the incessant adverts and trailers and so on, I like to find things like "AdBlock" and similar tools to reduce the time wasted by some buffoon's idea of a bit of entertaining information.
Something has gone seriously adrift at Mozilla.
AdBlock will not work; Firefox thinks it's bad.
So I have loads of adverts now.
Mozilla say they now know about it.:rolleyes:

Anyone else suffered this indignity ?

Back