Prostrate Cancer and Men's sexuality

ace195008

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 9, 2010
Posts
3,056
I have been here on Literotica for a long time. In 2014 I has a high PSA ( test for Prostrate Cancer ) and it suggested i see my urologist. So reluctantly I went to see my urologist. He examined me and suggested a biopsy. The biopsy was not a lot of fun, when some sticks a device up your ass and triggers 12 needles. I got past it and then waited. I was called sometime later and asked to come into my urologist office.
The news I didnt want to hear, i heard, Prostrate Cancer. So i was sent to a center who specialized in it. After a full body scan ( MRI ) , several other tests, the cancer was confined to my prostrate and i elected to have radiation and hormone therapy. I was 64 at this time. The radiation was not bad at all but the hormone therapy kicked my ass. Hot flashes , as the Dr. described I was PMS-ing. The radiation was 44 - 20 min sessions and the hormone therapy was 2 yrs a shot every 6 months. I weathered the shots very well. I now have to have a blood test and Digital Rectum Examine every 6 months once again no big deal.

The fallout from the hormone therapy is your libido and testosterone are in the toilet. The hormones seriously reduce your testosterone because it feeds the cancer. I am cancer free, "thank god", but my sex drive is gone as well as my erections. I am beside myself in what to do to get my "mojoe" back. Along with the libido , arousal sucks too. Being a person who has been very sexual most of my life this has been a serious hit to me. The urology has indicated if the blood tests are good then in another year i could consider testosterone shots. But as one can guess it hasnt been fun. Has of you "guys" , "gentlemen" been through this or any ladie's husbands , boyfriends or lovers been through this ..help is appreciated no matter what you think or say ..
 
You have all the love and support I can give you but I never went through this. Maybe some kind of survivors group?
 
Your experience sounds horrible. Is it safe to assume that going back on testosterone therapy is an absolute no-no? Even if you are cancer free? I've heard that a lot of people refuse to go on testosterone HRT because of the danger that it will fuel the flame of prostate cancer but if you are cancer free, perhaps it would be ok. I'm surprised that if you go off of what must have been estrogen therapy, you might go back to producing testosterone normally.

But here's the thing. It's not testosterone that gives you erections, it's basically release of arginine from the interior lining of blood vessels. The reason many men suffer ED as they age is build up of plaque and hardening of the arteries which limits the production of arginine. Drugs like Cialis and Viagra stimulate that activity as well as relaxing arteries. It helps achieve an erection when you want an erection and are stimulated psychologically and physically. It doesn't just make erections pop up out of nowhere.

A lot of sex drive per se comes from attitude other than simple hormone related issues. I've always believed that testosterone is what more or less makes you want to mate like a male and increases the "aggressive" aspects of that. However, the desire for kinky sex and pure sex alone comes from other aspects of the psyche. It's one thing to want to mate, it's another to just want to fuck or get your cock sucked which is somewhat from being a dirty old man. Men with near zero testosterone can still be dirty old men because they just think dirty. What turns me on personally is dirty slutty behavior in a woman and not just my testosterone. But that's just me. That's just my opinion and I'm not a doctor or endocrinologist.

It sounds like you could benefit from a talk with your doctor about drugs that can help erections if you have the desire for them. Your lack of desire may come from issues other than just low T. It would probably be wise to seek some psychological counseling. For example, is there any sort of porn that gets your mind in the nasty mode or are you just relying on a natural flow of hormones to do it? Whatever happens, good luck with it. In my own case as a guy who thinks sex and the dirtier the better, is one of the reasons to keep on living, I don't know how I could handle a situation like yours. Must be awful.
 
Thanks friends, my urologist wants to wait for a bit. Amofiga your right it’s a brain game too , my urologist said we could try Cialis. I was sincerely thankful for no cancer.
 
prostate cancer

I'm also a survivor of prostate cancer. In my case, I had the prostate removed. But the procedure left me impotent and urinary incontinent. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Over the years, I tried 3 times to have a penile prosthesis and artificial sphincter put in, but all three attempts failed due to infection. To place the prosthesis, it was necessary to remove a good bit of the spongy material in the penis that normally fills with blood to produce an erection; Without that tissue, an erection is almost impossible, even with a vacuum pump. Pills don't work for me either.

So now, I just have to live with it. But my libido is as strong today as it has ever been. I love sex, and over time I have learned that there are many more ways to satisfy a woman besides penetration. I now derive my sexual pleasure by giving sexual pleasure/orgasm to my partner. I've discovered that some women can come with a good tongue-lashing on their clit, fingering on their g-spot, using dildos/vibrators/tongue in their vagina, or any combination of these things. (LADIES, AM I RIGHT?? I'm eager to hear your response on this thread). So far, I've had no complaints, but then the gals could be just faking it to make me happy. I want the pleasure to be real for them, and I'm open to suggestions on what I can do under my circumstances to make the woman's orgasm absolutely mind-blowing!
 
It is a major league bummer when the prostate has problems. A friend of mine had a prostatectomy and gives himself a shot in the thigh in order to have an erection and engage in intercourse. Got no idea what is in the shot nor how long it lasts. He has some other problems as a result of the surgery but ask your urologist and find others to ask until you get answers.
 
I feel your pain, my wife as diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer about a year ago, lumpectomy, chemo followed by radiation, herceptin for a year(ends sept) and hormone supressants for 5 years.

Both of us are trying to figure out how to restart our sex life, she thinks about it but can't seem to get her head wrapped around it. She has a mammogram 5/15 which may make her feel better. Cancer treatments just suck, the steroids caused her to gain about 15% of her body weight, she has scar tissue form her surgery that has screwed up her shoulder, she has developed real serious apprehension about going back to work which should be in the next month or so, she hasn't completely lost the chemo brain thing.

I am just happy she has made it through everything.
 
Just for the record so that you get it right talking to your doctor, it's prostate not "prostrate" which is what you do when you bow to the potentate.

The shot in the leg was probably nitric (not nitrous) oxide which is formed by L-arginine an amino acid produced by the inner walls of arteries. If plaque builds up in the walls of arteries (too many cheeseburgers and nachos) it can cause hardening of the arteries which can cause high blood pressure, heart attacks, and ED. The Nitric Acid is a vasodilator that relaxes and expands arteries to help produce erections.
 
All,

From the bottom of my heart a big thank you for you support. Albertboy hope your wife’s troubles go away, no cancer. It’s the best news to hear. Amofiga your right it’s prostrate, also known as bend over and crack a smile.
 
Me Too, Sort Of...

Ace, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in 1999 (I was 62). My PSA was around 7.5. Had the biopsy (at the time they just did six sticks for biopsy). One of them showed a 10% coverage in one of the sticks. The treatment I elected was called brachytherapy, radioactive seed implants. 98 Iodine-125 (very tiny) seeds injected directly into the prostate (in hospital). Followup PSA's declined rapidly to below 1.0, then a very slow asymptotic approach to undetectable over next several years and since.

I chose the seed approach because it made more sense to me to treat from the inside of the prostate outwards, and avoid the complications of surgery and/or external radiation.

I never had any problems urinating and for several years, sexual activities were more or less normal (no semen of course).

So now I am age 82 and have E.D. How much of that is attributed to the prostate treatment I really don't know. I also take antidepressants and that has an effect. And no Viagra or Cialis because of heart issues. And simply getting older.

I have posted elsewhere how I overcome all this, with this older man's friend:
tumblr_pqfc78J2Mz1y9ueezo1_500.gif


Gents, I commend these penis pumps/cock rings to anyone with similar problems, they really work. Be glad to discuss further with anyone interested.

Cheers, guys...
 
The shot in the leg was probably nitric (not nitrous) oxide which is formed by L-arginine an amino acid produced by the inner walls of arteries. If plaque builds up in the walls of arteries (too many cheeseburgers and nachos) it can cause hardening of the arteries which can cause high blood pressure, heart attacks, and ED. The Nitric Acid is a vasodilator that relaxes and expands arteries to help produce erections.

/s/Nitric Acid/Nitric Oxide?
 
Careful about Medical Run Around

Hi all. Hope your medical treatments were for the best. Far too many doctors/medical facilities see prostrate cancer patients like a used car saleman sees a mark. I had my exprience a decade ago. Starting with a PSA that took a peek over 4.5, they jumped into action sending me for tests and specialists visits. They even shot me up the ass with those little needles. Bills mounted and insurance paid. After all, that is the point; getiing paid.

That was back in the day before I started looking into this and other medical matters. (I am not in the medical profession, but I have a techical background that allows me to read the jounals and understand the research studies.)

Bottom line is that most of us senior guys have or will get prostate cancer between the ages of 50-80. 97% of us can ignore it. It don't go away, but it is so slow that operations and drugs that remove or fry our precious plumbing are useless or harmful to us, but profitable to the system.
(Importantly, 2-3% of prostate cancer is agressive and if not treated, you won't be posting on Lit in another 3-5 years. Only viable response is the agressive removal/destruction of the failed pumbing. Idiots in the medical field have trouble telling the agressive few from the lethargic majority - or perhaps they don't try hard enough when they have a scared and well-insured patient willing to do anything to "get better.")

Now, a decade later, after my PSA rose, peaked, then dropped 30%, back into the "safe" zone where they say "watchful waiting". What caused the improvement? Well, the doctor never asked me, but basically I stopped abusing myself with the food and drink we all love, dropped 30% of my body weight and got off my ass and did some physical activities - other than the horizontal variety. I took no drugs, had no treatments. Still, the prostate is a bit bigger, so I keep track of the nearest bath room :)

Check it out yourself. Good info is hard to find. I could say more, but people believe what they learn themselves before they believe me.
(Try to avoid advice from people who have a financial stake in you being sick.)

And, yes, I do expect my prostate issues to take a turn south in the next decade or two. Unless, I'm too busy or something else gets me.

Do your own investigation, then you tell your medical people what you decided they should do.
 
I had the same radiation implant treatment as yourself, along with external radiation (when I was 60). Went from a 9.5, 6 years ago, to a .1 last January.

I've been fortunate beings that the only major side effect (sexually) I've had is that I don't produce and semen when I orgasm (or just a few drops at best).

Went through the hot flashes and for the first year after the it was like being a teen ager, again. Eventually it all leveled out.

Beings my wife had gone though menopause and lost all interest in sex she considered my cancer a blessing and that I wouldn't be able to have sex ever again. (Makes a person wonder how well they really know their spouse.)

There are numerous devices, medications out there to help with the side effects of the cancer.

Best of luck to everyone.





Ace, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in 1999 (I was 62). My PSA was around 7.5. Had the biopsy (at the time they just did six sticks for biopsy). One of them showed a 10% coverage in one of the sticks. The treatment I elected was called brachytherapy, radioactive seed implants. 98 Iodine-125 (very tiny) seeds injected directly into the prostate (in hospital). Followup PSA's declined rapidly to below 1.0, then a very slow asymptotic approach to undetectable over next several years and since.

I chose the seed approach because it made more sense to me to treat from the inside of the prostate outwards, and avoid the complications of surgery and/or external radiation.

I never had any problems urinating and for several years, sexual activities were more or less normal (no semen of course).

So now I am age 82 and have E.D. How much of that is attributed to the prostate treatment I really don't know. I also take antidepressants and that has an effect. And no Viagra or Cialis because of heart issues. And simply getting older.

I have posted elsewhere how I overcome all this, with this older man's friend:
tumblr_pqfc78J2Mz1y9ueezo1_500.gif


Gents, I commend these penis pumps/cock rings to anyone with similar problems, they really work. Be glad to discuss further with anyone interested.

Cheers, guys...
 
my hearts with you partner

i will say this i used get with a m/m couple every few weekends for nudists meetups at their place. the one host was in his late 60's and only few years before had survived prostate cancer. now he had his removed and had told me about same things you have gone through. he lost weight went vegetarian strict diet exercise. and he got his drive back. he couldnt shoot no more but the desire,ability & sensation were all there. even the "feeling" of ejaculation. not saying yours will or wont. i hope it does for those who havent had you sake,lol. but feel confident that yes apparently you can with the determination of wanting to keep on fucking.
 
i will say this i used get with a m/m couple every few weekends for nudists meetups at their place. the one host was in his late 60's and only few years before had survived prostate cancer. now he had his removed and had told me about same things you have gone through. he lost weight went vegetarian strict diet exercise. and he got his drive back. he couldnt shoot no more but the desire,ability & sensation were all there. even the "feeling" of ejaculation. not saying yours will or wont. i hope it does for those who havent had you sake,lol. but feel confident that yes apparently you can with the determination of wanting to keep on fucking.

I use to belong to a nudist group...mixed genders and sexual preferences, quite an open minded bunch.

there were several of the guys who had dealt with prostate cancer of varying degrees of severity. It was enlightening how everyone in the crowd openly discussed the issues. The women seemed more understanding than some of the men. Go figure.
 
Recently went through a prostate scare of my own, including the very invasive biopsy procedure. News came back good, despite an elevated PSA and the urologist detecting a suspicious spot, no cancer . . . yet. I feel more like I dodged a bullet than anything else. Bad genes mean it's probably in my future.

If any guys would like to hear more about the biopsy/diagnosis process, let me know and I'll share my experiences.
 
It's a real bummer

Had mine out long time ago. You get used to no erection and wearing pads. Having testosterone injections to help other problems. Had them beforehand and the treatment has been linked to cancer. If you still have the prostate tjink carefully about the injections, cream or patches because of link to cancer. Although it is so slow growing probably of little concern. For me the treatment helps get me horny, but no help getting it ip. Viagra and cialis are no use. Just gave up with it.
Btw still can climax, but not nice as each spurt helps empty the bladder. It's true that enjoying sex is more brain than body.
 
Back
Top