The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Probably costume glue -- the stuff used to hold pasties on. Maybe costume tape. That's often used to keep women from falling out of the plunging necklines.

I figured it was pure optimism.

And thanks, Tex, for the coffee. How long does it take to make one of your specials?
 
Boats, sir. I know your coffee magic is virtually instantaneous.

Building the boat itself takes about three or four days with the temp above 70 degrees. Drying time on the Gorilla Glue increases with low temps. Fiberglassing the seams and saturation coating the hull with two part marine epoxy takes another three or four days. Paint and finishing trim another two or three days. Add in final drying and curing time and it ends up at about two weeks.

A lot of that is waiting time between coats for them to dry enough for the next coat. The exterior hull gets three coats of epoxy, the last coat being a color coat to protect from UV rays. The interior gets three coats, two coats of an exterior wood primer and the last coat is porch and deck paint. I want all the wood sealed so nothing touches water anywhere.

Keep the paint touched up and the boat will last several lifetimes.
 
If it were me, that snake would have been twisting around her body and legs.

Oh you heartless creature. . . .

(Thinks: Or the delightful Julie Newmar. . . . . (wipes sweat from eyes).)

Time, I think, for a restorative coffee.
 
Don't worry, baby

Note the profound difference between Catwoman and a cat lady. Or maybe time changes her. And she trains attack cats. Hey, a good Netflix series! But I digress. And worry.

I worry about snow, and escaping it. I worry about maintaining power and heat. I worry about sick family, and hospice. I worry about politics, and consequence. I worry about silent muses, if any. I don't yet worry about running out of meds and intoxicants, or of footwear or food. I try not to worry about the inevitable, but oh fuck...

And I don't worry about bad TV. "It don't worry me." (That's a song.) "What, me worry?" (That's a guideline.) "Worry and guilt are rent we pay on houses we will never occupy." (I read that somewhere.) "She who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news." (Time to start worrying?)

And time for a last swig of coffee. Analog, not digital.
 
With the worry session over, I'll make fresh coffee for the evening bunch.

Most all the parts cut out for two new boats. A very cool day and it's not supposed to get better for three days. Time for my appointment at the VA clinic tomorrow. It is supposed to rain most of the day. Oh joy, I love driving in the rain. Not!
 
With the worry session over, I'll make fresh coffee for the evening bunch.
I used to drink evening coffee. And stay up all night, making mischief, usually with no arrests and few worries, but with no boats or gyroplanes. Infrared cameras, maybe. Those are fun at night when one's blood is boiling with caffeine and trace elements.

"The evening bunch" -- that's mostly artists and musicians and critics, right? Or kids keyboarding all night in mom's basement. Or Denny's swing shift, and cops. How many here drink evening coffee, and why?

* Because you can.
* Because you must.
* Because you're pervo.
* Because you're a vamp.
* Because you're a student.
* To make the heroin wear off.
* To sober-up before driving home.
* Because sleep is for the weak.
* Because you misread labels.
* Because Satan so ordered.
* To maintain homeostatis.
* To survive until Lent.
* For a piss contest.
* Because you do.

Should this be a poll?
 
To Pole or not to poll, that is the answer. So what was the question again?
 
"The evening bunch" -- that's mostly artists and musicians and critics, right? Or kids keyboarding all night in mom's basement. Or Denny's swing shift, and cops. How many here drink evening coffee, and why?

* Because you can.
* Because you must.
* Because you're pervo.
* Because you're a vamp.
* Because you're a student.
* To make the heroin wear off.
* To sober-up before driving home.
* Because sleep is for the weak.
* Because you misread labels.
* Because Satan so ordered.
* To maintain homeostatis.
* To survive until Lent.
* For a piss contest.
* Because you do.

Should this be a poll?

I don't usually drink coffee after noon. My parents had a long-standing tradition of drinking coffee a 9:00 PM, before they went to bed. I can't imagine why.

As time went by, the nine o'clock coffee got pretty weak. The last I saw of it, it looked more like tea. I drank some of that. It was pointless.
 
To Pole or not to poll, that is the answer. So what was the question again?
Something about Poul Andersen, I think.
North Pole, South Pole
Down-at-the-mouth Pole

Rigged poll, twigged poll
Who-should-be-frigged poll

Barber-pole, tent-pole
Sliding down a bent pole

Ridge-pole, loop-hole
And a nasty tadpole​
I digress, but I won't pour coffee down a pie-hole until dawn. Wouldn't be prudent. [prudence jokes deleted]

Let's shift this to Pie Town, New Mexico, some miles west of the Very Large Array radiotelescope complex. Good pies. Good coffee, any time. Only a few more miles north to the Zuni nation (aka Cibola) for damn fine jewelry, pots, fetishes, and paintings. Zuni stuff embellishes our home.

Another tribe runs on the motto, Don't Worry, Be Hopi. How to translate that? Don't Sue Me, Be Zuni. Yeah, that works. BTW did you know that the Hard Rock Café system is owned by the Seminole Nation? USA never defeated them. Think about it.
 
Today (actually this whole week), is a sad day for military aircraft enthusiasts in the UK.
The RAF is saying goodbye to its fleet of Tornado aircraft.
With a little luck, I might be in a good place to see part of the flypast.

I'd better stoke up on the coffee. . . . .
 
Cold and rainy here this morning.

Fresh coffee for one and all.

Time to get ready to get out of here. VA clinic appointment at 8. An hours drive normally. Add a half for the rain seems about right. Vampire first and then the Doc. I should get out of there around noon.

Dairy Queen for lunch, me thinks. That or Long John's Silver. Lufkin has so many more choices.
 
Boats, coffee and weather, what else did I miss :D

Slowly trying to slide back in here ;)

I think I am finally recovered! I kept thinking I was better and I would get up and try to do too much and end up back in bed for a few days. But Sunday I finally ventured out of the house for the first time in over three weeks, except the trip to the hospital, and today I'm still feeling pretty good so I think I'm healed, finally!
I have never been that sick for so long, it was scary :(

But I'm trying to get back into the swing, reply to messages, catch up on what's going on and all that.
And can I just say, I submitted a new chapter and it got approved in less than 24 hours! Around the 21 hour mark I saw the pending change to new and I was like wow that was fast! Thanks Laurel! I felt so bad that this chapter had taken me so long to edit and submit since I lost pretty much three weeks, all I was doing was sleeping.

But wanted to pop in and say Hi everyone I missed y'all!

I might even try to write something for the new A Night In XXX, just trying to figure out what town I want to do. Kinda just want Small-town USA, but probably need to be more specific.
 
Boats, coffee and weather, what else did I miss :D

Slowly trying to slide back in here ;)

I think I am finally recovered! I kept thinking I was better and I would get up and try to do too much and end up back in bed for a few days. But Sunday I finally ventured out of the house for the first time in over three weeks, except the trip to the hospital, and today I'm still feeling pretty good so I think I'm healed, finally!
I have never been that sick for so long, it was scary :(

Big hug and a hot coffee. :heart: Happy you're recovered, but take it easy. People always push themselves too hard because they feel guilty about taking it easy but you need to when you're recovering. You don't get over things instantaneously. I'm guilty of that myself.

I might even try to write something for the new A Night In XXX, just trying to figure out what town I want to do. Kinda just want Small-town USA, but probably need to be more specific.

Yes yes yes! That'd be great if you could. Just pick a small town, any town, a name on a map if you like, or take it from a novel or a movie.
 
Yes yes yes! That'd be great if you could. Just pick a small town, any town, a name on a map if you like, or take it from a novel or a movie.

Real small towns by their nature aren't usually very recognizable. You could probably pick any. There are some widely recognized fictional small towns. "Smallville" comes to mind.
 
Coffee... for me two cups in the morning, then nothing but water all day.

Morning everyone. Coffee, hot, please. Got it. Thanks.


Y'all have a great day, because it's raining cats and dogs here and it's 46f. Wet, wet, wet. And the dogs and cats are fighting after they hit the ground. ;)
 
Sunny and only 10 degrees of frost outside now, a good sign, so just a small coffee, I think.

CwM - welcome back!
 
Coffee and pie. The pie will be on Netflix this week as they're showing American Pie. Instant classic at a time where B movies were a thing.
 
Back
Top