Categorizing a supernatural story

thewinedarksea

Really Experienced
Joined
May 11, 2018
Posts
122
The story has supernatural elements, the main plot features a woman and her husband trying to save their relationship, the man is coerced into non-usual (for him) sex, and a key character has mixed gender and sexual characteristics.

Without all the complications, the main plot seems to put it in Loving Wives, but I was wondering if you'd put it somewhere else based on those details.

Thanks!
 
Mixed gender/sexual - GM or Lesbian
Supernatural elements - Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Couple trying to save relationship - Romance
'Non-usual' sex - damfino, BDSM, Fetish, Erotic Couplings

Good blend, to be sure. Not sure why Loving Wives, but maybe I'm missing something. In any case, which one predominates?

In the end, it's your call. And, of course, those readers expecting _______.
 
Not sure you'd like the reactions you'd get by putting anything "mixed gender" in Loving Wives. Sounds like Sci Fi/Fantasy to me.
 
Thanks folks — sf/fantasy was my instinct too. I was wondering if the presence of what will be interpreted by readers as a trans character would oblige me to do otherwise, but I trust you to know best.
 
The vagueness makes it difficult to really comment. Depending on what the 'key character' is, this might need to go in NonHuman. (Laurel seems dogmatic that sex in a fantasy setting = SF/Fantasy, sex with fantasy creatures = NonHuman.)

Personally, I'd guess that the "non-usual sex" is the actual focus of the story, so depending on what the fuck that is (BDSM? group sex? some particular fetish?), you may have an easier time finding a receptive audience if there's a category for that particular kind of "non-usual sex".
 
If the ambiguous figure is even slightly non-human, I’d put it in Non Human.
 
Honestly, it seems like your story is everywhere. Just pick a genre then that best fits the story.
 
Not really a non-human. More of a human magician.
If a major theme is magic-supernatural then SF/F it is. If you've only a little magic in there, LW might fit. I got away with a little magic in Group and Incest, and weird science in LW.
 
Thanks folks — sf/fantasy was my instinct too. I was wondering if the presence of what will be interpreted by readers as a trans character would oblige me to do otherwise, but I trust you to know best.
I'd drop that into Sci-Fi and fantasy, the readers there are tolerant. If you popped a trans character into LW unawares, the commentary might go hostile. I get the sense that tolerance isn't a hallmark of that category.
 
I'd drop that into Sci-Fi and fantasy, the readers there are tolerant. If you popped a trans character into LW unawares, the commentary might go hostile. I get the sense that tolerance isn't a hallmark of that category.

“Might go hostile.”

Understatement of the year. You’re right; they’ve got their minds made up in LW.
 
If you popped a trans character into LW unawares, the commentary might go hostile.
Right. So post in LW as an alt and disregard the fucktards, who quite DESERVE exposure to reality.

Alt+LW= match made in heaven. Gain a rep as a brave rebel. Be weirdly proud.
 
Back
Top