Isolated Poetry Blurt

just found this posted over in the playground - one of wilfred owen's i've not seen before:

The Last Laugh

Wilfred Owen

'Oh! Jesus Christ! I'm hit,' he said; and died.
Whether he vainly cursed or prayed indeed,
The Bullets chirped-In vain, vain, vain!
Machine-guns chuckled,-Tut-tut! Tut-tut!
And the Big Gun guffawed.

Another sighed,-'O Mother, -Mother, - Dad!'
Then smiled at nothing, childlike, being dead.
And the lofty Shrapnel-cloud
Leisurely gestured,-Fool!
And the splinters spat, and tittered.

'My Love!' one moaned. Love-languid seemed his mood,
Till slowly lowered, his whole faced kissed the mud.
And the Bayonets' long teeth grinned;
Rabbles of Shells hooted and groaned;
And the Gas hissed.

edit everything out

Please
don't
make me read
another sucky poem.

It makesmesad when iLie that its good.

@Carrie So true. :rose:

5 Things I may or may not be able to live without (but I'm afraid to find out if I can't):

Laptop
Kindle
Samsung Galaxy
Keurig
Power Juicer

i'd rather be told my poetry sucks as honest feedback than be lied to

dishonest feedback's an insult and renders further feedback from the person worthless

Here,here!!!!

all opinions are worthwhile except the dishonest

that's not to say the person saying you're good or bad is right - that's something you have to decide for yourself based on the source. personally, i find i respect opinions given to me more - positive or negative - by those whose work i admire and whose comments make sense or open my eyes to new aspects i'd missed. :rose:

all opinions are worthwhile except the dishonest

that's not to say the person saying you're good or bad is right - that's something you have to decide for yourself based on the source. personally, i find i respect opinions given to me more - positive or negative - by those whose work i admire and whose comments make sense or open my eyes to new aspects i'd missed. :rose:

I agree there too, I initially thought everyone was just being nice to me because I was the new guy, however I have wandered through a lot of threads and the main commenters on my work almost always give honest and unbiased opinions, so I started taking this writing schtick a bit more serious. I don't know how to say thank you enough :)

I agree there too, I initially thought everyone was just being nice to me because I was the new guy, however I have wandered through a lot of threads and the main commenters on my work almost always give honest and unbiased opinions, so I started taking this writing schtick a bit more serious. I don't know how to say thank you enough :)

oh, we like to go easy on new writers - that's not to say it's not honest, but we've all been new writers and some encouragement, a noticing of what does work in our writing, goes a long way. as you get further into the process, you'll find some of us give comments that might feel nit-picky: they're not intended as such, just another way of looking at how to write a word, a phrase....

all the thankyou any of us need is for you (and everyone) to keep writing, reading, growing :rose:

oh, we like to go easy on new writers - that's not to say it's not honest, but we've all been new writers and some encouragement, a noticing of what does work in our writing, goes a long way. as you get further into the process, you'll find some of us give comments that might feel nit-picky: they're not intended as such, just another way of looking at how to write a word, a phrase....

all the thankyou any of us need is for you (and everyone) to keep writing, reading, growing :rose:

I'm all for the nit picky, part of what makes 1201 integral despite his sometimes riddled comments and argumentative attitude. He is a straight shooter with incredible knowledge base.

I'm all for the nit picky, part of what makes 1201 integral despite his sometimes riddled comments and argumentative attitude. He is a straight shooter with incredible knowledge base.

1201's one of the very best, imo. he's like that great teacher you can find in most schools - the one that's a bit grumpy and frustrated but has so much to offer and hates it when he sees 'lazy' students who could get way better grades should they apply themselves. when they do, he's awesome, and can be amazingly humble and modest truth be known. and he also appreciates the fact the he learns as much from us individuals.

having said that, it wouldn't do for every teacher to be the same, as some poets require a more gentled touch and some prefer to find their own way at their own pace, resenting the pushes no matter how well-intentioned.

life :cool:

1201's one of the very best, imo. he's like that great teacher you can find in most schools - the one that's a bit grumpy and frustrated but has so much to offer and hates it when he sees 'lazy' students who could get way better grades should they apply themselves. when they do, he's awesome, and can be amazingly humble and modest truth be known. and he also appreciates the fact the he learns as much from us individuals.

having said that, it wouldn't do for every teacher to be the same, as some poets require a more gentled touch and some prefer to find their own way at their own pace, resenting the pushes no matter how well-intentioned.

life :cool:

Just to be clear, my beef with 1201 has nothing to do with anything about him except his being abusive to people. When someone new comes here they are usually worried about looking a fool and/or being told their poetry sucks. Now granted, some people's poetry does suck and sometimes you have to look for the spark that's there and try to encourage them. Some newer poets have tougher hides and can take it (like you Tod). But that is a pretty rare thing and this forum has always worked best with a base level of civility. There is a difference between being grumpy or giving a new poet a healthy push and the virtual equivalent of screaming at people and calling them names for no apparent reason. The latter is not ok. It may be ok on an unmoderated forum like the GB, but not this one. And moderators here sometimes have to remind people of that. Anyone who has been here a while knows this. No one likes taking on that role but sometimes you have to. And if you can't email or pm someone to try to work things through with them privately, well sometimes you have to say what you have to say in public.

There is no question in my mind that 1201 is one of the most knowledgeable users here ever, but even the smartest people here have to maintain some standard of civility. They don't have to be overly nice or kind, but they can't be screaming at people or accusing them of things (again, for no apparent reason) and if they do have an ax to grind there is always ignore or sending a pm. That, imho, is why this particular forum is such a good place--because we do try to help each other and new people who come in and show they are sincere about learning. But sometimes people have to help themselves or get help so they can maintain that basic level of respect for others.

Also you can't just assume that someone you don't know isn't trying. When someone new braves this place and actually posts all we see is the poem, not the effort that went into it. So to go after someone new assumes people write a less than good poem because they didn't try? How would anyone know that?

Yeah most of us, including me, feel bad about what happened. I could have been kinder about it myself, I know, but then the abusive behavior would not have stopped. I hope he can let go of some of that endless anger and just do his poetry thing here without assuming that everyone but a chosen few wants to battle. But, as a friend recently pointed out to me, when you are a moderator some people will think you're wrong no matter what you do.

:rose:

you can't please all of the people all of the time. being a mod's a pretty thankless task, but let me, for one, say 'thankyou' for all you've put into this forum. it takes time, energy, and a great deal of patience. :kiss:

you can't please all of the people all of the time. being a mod's a pretty thankless task, but let me, for one, say 'thankyou' for all you've put into this forum. it takes time, energy, and a great deal of patience. :kiss:

Thanks. I've been feeling sad about the 12 thing but I honestly did not know what else to do and knew I had to do something. :kiss:

Just to be clear, my beef with 1201 has nothing to do with anything about him except his being abusive to people. When someone new comes here they are usually worried about looking a fool and/or being told their poetry sucks. Now granted, some people's poetry does suck and sometimes you have to look for the spark that's there and try to encourage them. Some newer poets have tougher hides and can take it (like you Tod). But that is a pretty rare thing and this forum has always worked best with a base level of civility. There is a difference between being grumpy or giving a new poet a healthy push and the virtual equivalent of screaming at people and calling them names for no apparent reason. The latter is not ok. It may be ok on an unmoderated forum like the GB, but not this one. And moderators here sometimes have to remind people of that. Anyone who has been here a while knows this. No one likes taking on that role but sometimes you have to. And if you can't email or pm someone to try to work things through with them privately, well sometimes you have to say what you have to say in public.

There is no question in my mind that 1201 is one of the most knowledgeable users here ever, but even the smartest people here have to maintain some standard of civility. They don't have to be overly nice or kind, but they can't be screaming at people or accusing them of things (again, for no apparent
reason) and if they do have an ax to grind there is always ignore or sending a pm. That, imho, is why
this particular forum is such a good place--because we do try to help each other and new people who

come in and show they are sincere about learning. But sometimes people have to help themselves or

get help so they can maintain that basic level of respect

Also you can't just assume that someone you don't know isn't trying. When someone new braves this place and actually posts all we see is the poem, not the effort that went into it. So to go after someone
new assumes people write a less than good poem because they didn't try? How would anyone know

that?

Yeah most of us, including me, feel bad about what happened. I could have been kinder about it myself, I know, but then the abusive behavior would not have stopped. I hope he can let go of some of that endless anger and just do his poetry thing here without assuming that everyone but a chosen few wants to battle. But, as a friend recently pointed out to me, when you are a moderator some people will think you're wrong no matter what you do.

Angie IMHO you're doin' a great job as moderator ! & i'm tryin' to be specific in my Comments since 1201 's main grouse was non-specificity of my comments . I've No Axe to grind against him or anybody & neither Erectus or me hold any hard feelings for the Old Timer : guess he finds it difficult to change himself but i do acknowledge his Poetic Expertise & Encyclopedic Memory !

Angie IMHO you're doin' a great job as moderator ! & i'm tryin' to be specific in my Comments since 1201 's main grouse was non-specificity of my comments . I've No Axe to grind against him or anybody & neither Erectus or me hold any hard feelings for the Old Timer : guess he finds it difficult to change himself but i do acknowledge his Poetic Expertise & Encyclopedic Memory !

Yeah well he's right about that. Specificity is always better. And thank you. I do love this place and though I'm far from perfect, I am trying my best here. :)

i'd rather be told my poetry sucks as honest feedback than be lied to

dishonest feedback's an insult and renders further feedback from the person worthless
butters, my blurt was made out context. It was for my adopted brother who does write horrible poetry (not bad in construction), but really disgusting in content.

I rarely make comments to anyone's poetry here since I don't feel qualified to give feedback especially to you and others whose poetry is better and more refined. When I do comment, it is an instant reaction to the poem and is heartfelt, which overrides the self-doubt I usually feel.

butters, my blurt was made out context. It was for my adopted brother who does write horrible poetry (not bad in construction), but really disgusting in content.

I rarely make comments to anyone's poetry here since I don't feel qualified to give feedback especially to you and others whose poetry is better and more refined. When I do comment, it is an instant reaction to the poem and is heartfelt, which overrides the self-doubt I usually feel.
i wasn't making assumptions, neon, just stating my own reaction :rose:

as for 'not qualified' - please :rolleyes: i left school at 17, halfway through A-levels to start a job. i didn't study at college or uni, and have based all my comments on what i've learned from reading and writing in a strictly amateurish way. YOU are as qualified as the next person to offer your own opinion - it doesn't matter if you like or dislike the write: what matters is the author gets to hear how a reader responds to it, so they can learn. and yeah, i don't leave nearly enough comments either. :eek:

i wasn't making assumptions, neon, just stating my own reaction :rose:

as for 'not qualified' - please :rolleyes: i left school at 17, halfway through A-levels to start a job. i didn't study at college or uni, and have based all my comments on what i've learned from reading and writing in a strictly amateurish way. YOU are as qualified as the next person to offer your own opinion - it doesn't matter if you like or dislike the write: what matters is the author gets to hear how a reader responds to it, so they can learn. and yeah, i don't leave nearly enough comments either. :eek:

Often I see poems I'd like to leave feedback for but since Public Comments seem to be judged by the poet or others. I'm reluctant to say anything especially when all I have for feeback is that I read the poem and I liked it.

Often I see poems I'd like to leave feedback for but since Public Comments seem to be judged by the poet or others. I'm reluctant to say anything especially when all I have for feeback is that I read the poem and I liked it.

That's about all I manage at the moment, on the odd occasion I get a gem of insight but mostly it is a simple "well done" then try and figure out why I liked it. I didn't pass high school, was a drug addict for most of my teen years and took up bouncing as a job coz I was angry, big and knew how to fight, so please don't say you are unqualified to comment :) I try my best lol

Yeah well he's right about that. Specificity is always better. And thank you. I do love this place and though I'm far from perfect, I am trying my best here. :)

I have had a thankless job before Angeline and there are a few people that appreciate what you do. Without you, or the people on this forum I would not be writing poetry at all. I am sorry that you felt the need to explain what you did. you were within your rights, and 1201 is as thick skinned as they get ;)

I think the problem with new poets being very insecure is that a lot of what is written is personal and they can't distance their feelings from the core of the writing. especially here, you are revealing sexual likes, preferences, needs and longings which a lot of people don't talk about in general let alone bare all for the world to see.

let me re-iterate you are doing awesome work, and if I knew how to dish out roses I would have posted a dozen :D

got an e-mail today from the other site i spent a short while at. they're publishing an anthology and want to include 'who wants to live forever?' in it. must be the part about adam scratching his balls and counting goats that sold it to them. :cattail:

got an e-mail today from the other site i spent a short while at. they're publishing an anthology and want to include 'who wants to live forever?' in it. must be the part about adam scratching his balls and counting goats that sold it to them. :cattail:

Congrats! Definitely Adam scratching his balls and counting goats that sold it to them. :rose:

Back