What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

Friday must be sausage day! We are having spaghetti with a homemade sauce...and I use an American breakfast sausage. It might sound unappetizing, but truly isn't! :D

Since it is still early here in the States, the only thing cooking is the sauce and an oven full of oatmeal-raisin cookies.
 
Yummy, Meeks! We have a Columbian restaurant here that I love, but I have never seen those... probably because I never quite make it around to dessert there :rolleyes:

Iris, in case I never told you, your house is on my "Must Visit" restaurant list :p
 
Yummy, Meeks! We have a Columbian restaurant here that I love, but I have never seen those... probably because I never quite make it around to dessert there :rolleyes:

Iris, in case I never told you, your house is on my "Must Visit" restaurant list :p

It'd be nice if you stopped by!
 
So last night was cauliflower and cheese soup and we all liked it much better than we all thought we all would.

Then tonight I took those leftover and threw a can of clams in for a sort of mock clam chowder. It wasn't bad either.
 
After a month of cooking in a strange kitchen with little to hand, and I mean cooking every single meal except 3, I ate out :D
I am happy though, upon reflection, that I only cooked one thing twice. Everything else was a different meal each time (other than lots of breakfast repeats, and lots of uniques as well :)). How is it that I get stuck into ruts at home, with even more ingredients and tools at hand? :confused:

What did I repeat? Ground sirloin "steaks" with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and squash. I could eat that... every other night :D
 
Polpette made with lamb and pesto in a tomato and lemon sauce.

I normally serve it with pasta or beans but I had a bag of readymade spätzle in the pantry, that had been standing there for far too long, so I went with that instead.
 
Minimally seasoned, oven-roasted pork roast, sweet peas, mashed potatoes with dripping gravy and quick yeast dinner rolls.
 
The talk of mason jar salads prompted me to post mason jar instant noodle bowls from the Nourishing Gourmet. I haven't tried them yet, but they are on my list. Basically you prep all the ingredients in a small mason jar and then add hot broth to serve. They have even have paleo (kelp noodles) and grain free (mung bean threads) options if you are into that kind of thing,

They look quite tasty. :)

Saving this link for later times. What a great idea.
 
This is definitely a cooking rut salad for us

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/blackened-chicken/

But its a good rut, so I don't mind so much. Its a good cold weather salad, because its warm, with out relying on rich dressings or potato heaviness, or cheese. Its not inexpensive, its not seasonal, or other good environmental things, but it is healthy yet delicious, it is possible to get it on the table, if you are really organised, in fifteen minutes. For us it always leaves left overs ( two chicken breasts does four people in this salad, and it does NOT feel stingy) that still taste great the next day and it looks beautiful with so little effort, just in layering the colours.

That looks awesome, Elle, and I will probably try sine version of that at some point.

Question - we have watercress, but I have never heard of punnet cress. Is it interchangeable? And the list of ingredients calls for 1 punnet cress - as in 1 bunch? :confused:
 
I ended up with two pineapples (2 for 1 sale) and wasn't really sure what to do with the second. Something desert-y called, but I'm not really a fan of pineapple upside down cake, or even of pineapple in general.

I ran across a recipe called Pineapple Spoon Cake, which uses almond four instead of grain. It's almost like a crumble topping. Chopped almonds and a chocolate drizzle sauce topped the end product. It was amazingly good! And extremely easy to make.
 

Attachments

  • Pineapple 1.JPG
    Pineapple 1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1
  • Pineapple 2.JPG
    Pineapple 2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
Punnet is the container, :). This cress is not water cress though its little sprouts of cress also called mustard and cress. Here its most well known for being used in sandwiches with egg. Little kids sometimes grow them in empty eggshells so the cress looks like hair. I find this slightly odd. :eek:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_cress

Oh! Ok, thanks! Definitely not a make or break ingredient for this recipe, but I was curious.

I ended up with two pineapples (2 for 1 sale) and wasn't really sure what to do with the second. Something desert-y called, but I'm not really a fan of pineapple upside down cake, or even of pineapple in general.

I ran across a recipe called Pineapple Spoon Cake, which uses almond four instead of grain. It's almost like a crumble topping. Chopped almonds and a chocolate drizzle sauce topped the end product. It was amazingly good! And extremely easy to make.

Yum yum!! :heart:
 
I took a section of pork loin and cut it into country style rib sized strips. They were grilled.

Sides were vegetable medley and rice pilaf with what was left of last night's dinner rolls.
 
I took a section of pork loin and cut it into country style rib sized strips. They were grilled.

Sides were vegetable medley and rice pilaf with what was left of last night's dinner rolls.

That sounds awesome!
I cut slices from a pork loin, rounds, pounded them flat and pan fried them for breakfast to have with eggs and potatoes. It was awesome that way as well!
 
Moose meatballs, mashed almond potatoes, sauce of yellowfeet and trumpets of the dead, grated carrots, lingonberries.

Yummy.
 
Wok made of thin slices of schnitzel, jerusalem artichokes, flower sprouts, button mushrooms and red and green bell peppers.

Flower sprouts was a first time for us but it turned out great.
 
Wok made of thin slices of schnitzel, jerusalem artichokes, flower sprouts, button mushrooms and red and green bell peppers.

Flower sprouts was a first time for us but it turned out great.

As in sunflower sprouts?
I had those recently for the first time. A bit... hardy, but I liked them.
 
As in sunflower sprouts?
I had those recently for the first time. A bit... hardy, but I liked them.

No, they are like brussel sprouts but instead of the tightly coiled little leafs there are dark green and purplish, kale-like leaves. They taste much milder than brussel sprouts, more like kale and are really beautiful to look at.

The kids and I love brussel spouts with a passion, but my husband doesn't. These he did like though, so yay!
 
Avocado pasta. It's perfect for the days when I don't feel like cooking at all.
 
Back
Top