Story feedback. Question to Authors

Harvey_32

Virgin
Story feedback.

How come that I can almost tell how many words my stories have in 4 ways.
I have observed that the shorter my stories are I get:
1/ more insults in public comments,
2/ more nice comments in my private messages,
3/ more readers,
4/ more votes cast.
So far they are almost syncronised.

Is my solution to write short snappy stories and not allow public comments sensible?

My latest story https://www.literotica.com/s/fucking-like-pharaohs which was specifically wriiten for on of my readers is rapidly proving the point

H

Last edited:
Story feedback.

How come that I can almost tell how many words my stories have in 4 ways.
I have observed that the shorter my stories are I get:
1/ more insults in public comments,
2/ more nice comments in my private messages,
3/ more readers,
4/ more votes cast.
So far they are almost syncronised.

Is my solution to write short snappy stories and not allow public comments sensible?

My latest story https://www.literotica.com/s/fucking-like-pharaohs which was specifically wriiten for on of my readers is rapidly proving the point

H

My experience is in line with yours as far as reads and votes go, but not as far as the comments are concerned.

I've noticed that most people liken erotica to a quickie- it should be easy to follow and understand, nothing hidden and predictable (surprises are good too, but it has to be a predictable surprise.)
Maybe that's why your short stories are getting better votes?
Or, maybe you a a good short story writer, but your long stories don't have the same shine that the shirt ones have?
As for the rude comments, well, divide them into constructive criticism and random bullcrap.. You know what to do with them then..

Might be reading it wrong...

I've noticed interesting things about stories I've posted too.
My first post ever had a fairly high rating, until I posted others and it dropped dramatically! I can see why, the writing is horrible but with none of my other writing to compare it too it seemed good. (I almost want to take it down. I only leave it up until I rewrite and try to do better.) I've definitely noticed the same affect with my next two, the writing was better but not as good as what followed so those stories were good until I posted better stories then they went down. This is especially true in chapter stories. My first chapter went down .10 points after my second chapter came out. I'm just saying that as newer stories post people go back and read and if your first story left a good impression and was much better than the second one they read which was an older story then your scoring will suffer. Also, as far as comments, it's a hit or miss. My highest rated story has some of the fewest comments yet a brand new story I wrote has gone through the roof. No rhyme or reason.

My experience is in line with yours as far as reads and votes go, but not as far as the comments are concerned.

I think it depends on body of work. I consistently wrote long slow burn stories for a few years and the audience for those found me.

In the last year I've done a couple of short sort of stroky pieces and for me they get lower scores and a lot of "not on par with your other stuff"

I've noticed interesting things about stories I've posted too.
My first post ever had a fairly high rating, until I posted others and it dropped dramatically! I can see why, the writing is horrible but with none of my other writing to compare it too it seemed good. (I almost want to take it down. I only leave it up until I rewrite and try to do better.) I've definitely noticed the same affect with my next two, the writing was better but not as good as what followed so those stories were good until I posted better stories then they went down. This is especially true in chapter stories. My first chapter went down .10 points after my second chapter came out. I'm just saying that as newer stories post people go back and read and if your first story left a good impression and was much better than the second one they read which was an older story then your scoring will suffer. Also, as far as comments, it's a hit or miss. My highest rated story has some of the fewest comments yet a brand new story I wrote has gone through the roof. No rhyme or reason.

I've noticed a difference in the ratings of the story on the site and the author's dashboard.
Also I noticed the most boring chapter (in my opinion) had the best comments and votes, but the one chapter I like was just blah-ed 😂
As for the higher votes on the newer chapters, well, the more votes you get, the less likely you'll get a high score. Think about it, there's a bigger chance to get some 3s from 70 people than from 20.

I have noticed a similar trend, although there have been some deviations. I believe that more people are apt to read a shorter story (1 to 2 pages), but it is difficult to tell a good story in this length. Most people combat this by doing chapters.

I know that I don't personally read a lot of stories on here, but when I do they tend to be shorter ones.

As far as readership is concerned, if you are getting high rankings you are more apt to get more readers. A "hot" story is always going to draw more interest from people who may not know your work.

You are going to have people who complain just because they are jerks. I normally leave negative comments in my comment section, unless it is just someone who is trolling. I think that the comment section is a good thing to keep up on your stories, because it allows the readers voice to be heard. While email feedback is also good, it allows for less of a group discussion.

Denny---<-----that's me! The male half

Something we've learned, if you want a lot of comments from anonymous posters who know it all and seem to own and control the section called LOVING WIVES, write short stories and get ready to be dazzled.

I still feel that is the best place for some of our stories but saw the ratings were getting lower. Funny, we don't really care about ratings, but too many negatives are a turn off.

By the way, most of those negative anonymous posters have a very short attention span. Therefore they choose and pretend to read the shorter stories before kindergarden classes begin.
Stop stirring up the bottom feeders!;)

Last edited:
Stories

Hard to avoid bad comments. A lot of people do not follow the "If you do not have something nice to say do not say it rule."

I have a hard time getting comments period or ratings for that matter.

My favorites are hot rated stories that are long multi part series. This lets the characters grow and if you get good suggestions from readers you can develop them even more.

I can't say I've gotten 'bad' as in rude comments, so I probably can't say much on that.
If there is something they don't like with the story, well, there's 10 others that love it.
What I do feel bad about are comments on my writing- actual valid suggestions. Of course, I take them in as constructive criticism but the little girl in me does jump up and down angrily when someone says the writing is confusing.
It's a matter of figuring out which bitter drink is poison and which is medicine

...You are going to have people who complain just because they are jerks. I normally leave negative comments in my comment section, unless it is just someone who is trolling. I think that the comment section is a good thing to keep up on your stories, because it allows the readers voice to be heard. While email feedback is also good, it allows for less of a group discussion.

Much of my email feedback is from people who genuinly like what I have written but are embarrassed to publicly post.

I realy like the emails that go into detail, generally they very enlightening.

Back