"Mass appreciation doesn't always equate to something good. Think of Hitler!"

Mischka

Ms Snooby Pants
"Mass appreciation doesn't always equate to something good. Think of Hitler!"

That is an actual quote from the press junket for Fifty Shades of Gray, by Jamie Dornan, one of the two leads. Their Q&A with fans is even more delightfully awkward.

On a larger level, I have the sense that 50 SoG book happened at the furthest swing of the social pendulum...and that 2-3 years later, the Movie is materializing into a different, less sexually open, more conservative place.

Are we less sexually open today than a few years ago? I do agree the movie is watered down drivel extracted from a puddle of drivel; the producer admits, "I didn't want it to be graphically explicit, and I know that's going to be disappointing to some people." So, truly, what is the point of this thing then?

I think yes, north American society has become more conservative in the past 2-3 years.

All the Girls Gone Wild type slut culture and Nik Ritchie The Dirty-type celebration of the douchebag has been replaced by concern over cyberbullying, rape culture, etc.

The pendulum has swung, I think.

At the same time, 50 SoG suffers from the fate any niche culture trend suffers when it "goes big"....BDSM purists find 50 SoG too vanilla, and newbs find it gross/scary.

So, perhaps there are two negative influences at play, which I think explains why the actors have distanced themselves from the movie.

And...it probably sucks more than the books.

Are we less sexually open today than a few years ago? I do agree the movie is watered down drivel extracted from a puddle of drivel; the producer admits, "I didn't want it to be graphically explicit, and I know that's going to be disappointing to some people." So, truly, what is the point of this thing then?

Yes, but it's a step in the right direction.

bDwvBLOh.jpg

One star reviews of 50 Shades.

Some funny stuff.

1) Uhh... Maybe this isn't the best place to ask.

2) To cash in on a best-selling book, Silly! The title is the important part. That and a release in time for Valentine's Day. If they wanted a hot story to make into a movie they should have come here!

I imagine the point is to capitalize and collect $$. I would be interested to see their marketing campaigns and "target audience"

seriously. they made it for the same reason they made all those shitty ya adaptions. it's a marketable property with a preexisting audience that will hopefully buy lots of tickets and dvds. it's not rocket science.

That is an actual quote from the press junket for Fifty Shades of Gray, by Jamie Dornan, one of the two leads. Their Q&A with fans is even more delightfully awkward.

Nobody hates this book like the GB does, but I'm planning to see the film.
Yeah, I'm goin' in.

Worth the price of admission if this scene (or something similar) is in it, fuck all of you.

12749_600.jpg

Oh, I'll definitely see it...when it hits Netflix.

Anything with young bum, tits n bondage!

Yeah, I'm goin' in.

Worth the price of admission if this scene (or something similar) is in it, fuck all of you.

12749_600.jpg
Do harmonicas get you hot?

12749_600.jpg
Holy baby Jesus on a cracker. I hadn't read anything on the movie until this article today, so I had no idea Dornan was going to appear nude. And that he's uncircumcised. Phew.

Jamie-Dornan-naked-Mert-Marcus-2.jpg

Yeah, I'm goin' in.

12749_600.jpg

hot damn. dat ass.

phew!

i think the bdsm forum hates the book even more. :D

i'll probably wait for netflix/online. i rarely go to the movies, and i'd prefer to watch that ass from the comfort of my own bed.

Yeah, I'm goin' in.

I might have spent money on it if I hadn't already been so badly burned by Magic Mike. If Hollywood can turn a movie about male strippers into the snooze fest that was, they can ruin everything. Even bdsm.

Holy baby Jesus on a cracker. I hadn't read anything on the movie until this article today, so I had no idea Dornan was going to appear nude. And that he's uncircumcised. Phew.

Well...he had just better, or there may be riots.

There is something about the lead in Magic Mike that is utterly forgettable. I know that actor has been in several movies, and I think I've even seen one or two of them, but he strikes me as so generic that he fades from memory almost before his name has finished being uttered.

It's the same thing people say about Fox. Just because a lot of people like them doesn't mean they're good.

Saw it in a theatre packed to the gills with giggling women. :D

Dornan's backside gets 4 seconds (cumulatively) on screen with plenty of torso shots - and I blinked once and almost missed a teaser of his partially unzipped fly. So it's basically a famine situation in that regard.

A review described Dornan's character as: "Christian Grey—an insane amalgam of billionaire, sadist, spoiled brat, wounded child, bro dawg, philanthropist, stalker, crybaby and Real Doll". This is spot on. Even my husband burst out laughing a couple of times because of the over-the-top, Wuthering Heights channeled brooding of the character, among other things.

It wasn't a total bomb -- if you go in expecting camp, then it's actually pretty entertaining.

I thought the movie ended in a good place - but when the credits started rolling a woman in the audience yelled "WHAT?!?"

Back