Monthly Contest Winners

Seanathon

Really Experienced
Joined
Oct 3, 2013
Posts
257
This thread isn't about the monthly contests and whether they are coming back or not. I just couldn't help noticing as I scanned the winners of the old contests that the site has just got around to announcing that i hadn't heard of any of them.

I know I've only been on Lit since last October, but I assumed these contest winners would be from the usual suspects still lurking around the AH.

My question is, what is the shelf life of the average author on Lit?

These contest winners are from just over two years ago, is it surprising that they (appear to be) no longer writing here?

And are there any authors here who have been posting stories on Lit since it first started (when was that - 2001)?
 
I used to post stories on a part of Lit, Chyoo, before I joined the forums in 2002. Not sure if that counts for what you're asking and I took a long sabbatical from writing in between.

Average author, hard to say, maybe a year or two at best. I would think it would skew lower in time as many may get a bad reception and get discouraged fairly quickly. Lots of other factors come into play as to why some authors leave, fear of being exposed as an erotic writer, pressure from spouse, getting themselves caught up in forums and the drama there, etc.
 
I had been writing fetish stories for Yahoo Adult Groups for about three years before I joined Literotica in 2002. In that year I posted most of the stories I had previously written, and added new ones. On Literotica I have been writing stories for 12 years. Edited to add: I have posted stories in every one of those 12 years.

I don't think that is typical. Many authors, or that particular user name, tend to arrive and depart in a couple of years. We can't tell whether an author is a newbie, or an alt of an older contributor, or just someone who forgot their previous log-in and started again.

The majority of those who have posted stories on Literotica NEVER post in the Authors' Hangout.
 
Last edited:
Lit got started from what I can tell somewhere around 1999.

As for the longevity of writers? Who knows. There are more reasons to quit than there are to continue for some.
 
Lit got started from what I can tell somewhere around 1999.

As for the longevity of writers? Who knows. There are more reasons to quit than there are to continue for some.

Some move on to publishing for money, even if they make only a few dollars a year.
 
I started back in 2009. Already passed by 5 year anniversary, wow. I shoulda thrown a party...
 
Laurel and Manu are recorded as starting in August 1999.

Anyone happen to record when they stopped caring... At least about the redheaded stepchild of the group, CHYOO (or its new version, CHYOA)?! Or, more-specifically, when Laurel started hating the people related to that site?!
 
Is this thread now about how long we've been writing here? My first story appeared about 40 weeks ago and I have 50 postings up now. But I'm slowing down. Monthly contests? I ain't got no stinking monthly contests. Monthly showers, maybe. All contest winners should shower in celebration. (I think Celebration is a small town in central Utah.)
 
I started reading Lit sometime in 2008, registered in 2009 in my original ID, but never posted a story.

For some reason I didn't want to use that name when I finally got the courage to post a story in early 2012 and signed up in my present - 49greg - name. Still haven't posted in that original ID, but have been thinking of putting any LW and dominant women type stories there. But I go back and forth on that several times a month.

I actually started writing erotic tales in the mid nineties, I did post a few stories in a yahoo group in the summer of '96. Can't even remember which one now.

I haven't been very prolific, but I've been turning out and posting stories since early 2012 and still think of myself as a newbie. I don't plan on stopping unless I either physically or mentally can't write.

The worst writing block I ever had was after doing the Nanowrimo thing last November. I think I burned myself out for a while. I might still be feeling the effects.
 
Actually - I'm curious about how the monthly contests work. Do you need to actually submit your story (or nominate someone's story) to be considered for them? Or are the winners simply selected by the website counting the votes cast for all the stories uploaded that month.

AND.... if you win (I'll never win, but just in case).... do you get notified? Or do you have to check the lists of winners every month and look for your name, and if your name is there, email Laurel?

Thanks for any info!
 
Actually - I'm curious about how the monthly contests work. Do you need to actually submit your story (or nominate someone's story) to be considered for them? Or are the winners simply selected by the website counting the votes cast for all the stories uploaded that month.

AND.... if you win (I'll never win, but just in case).... do you get notified? Or do you have to check the lists of winners every month and look for your name, and if your name is there, email Laurel?

Thanks for any info!

All stories for that month are automatically qualified.

Also winners are now notified by PM and e-mail, but that only came about when after the monthlies were dead for a long time then came back the site was announcing winners for close to two years ago and never letting anyone know, which seemed unfair and a cheap way to just keep the money.

After that was pointed out by me and backed up by Pilot-the two of us were branded trolls by laurel for this-now people are notified. Which saved me trouble because I had started trying to contact the winners myself to try to let them know they won and how to contact the site-you know because the contact us button conveniently doesn't work.

Also worth noting that every monthly winner since they came back over a year ago has been put on the front page except the month I won. Just like all contest winners go on the front page except for two of the three contests I won and I only went there on the third one because I pointed it out on the boards and wondered if it would happen again.

Oh, and look up monthly winners on the site and they have every year up to 2014 and skip 2015 and have 2016 up, guess everyone else is screwed from 2015 to keep my name off that list too. :rolleyes:

That's how things roll around here, that and GB drama.
 
December 23, 2003 is when I created my Zeb1094 account on the story side.

June 15, 2006 is when my second incarnation as Zeb_Carter started. :eek:
 
I began reading stories April 2, 2006 (a link to Lit was a fiftieth birthday gift from a friend) but never bothered registering until August of 2009. My first story was submitted the same month under my Pizzaboyatdoor ID.

In 2012, I did some very sorely needed rewrites and repackaged the Pizza Boy stories into a series with this ID...and have been using it for everything since.

.
 
I submitted my first story here in July 2006, the day I registered. I've posted an average of 1.7 entries a week steadily since then (845 total as of today). If I ever won anything in the monthly contests, I don't know about it.
 
I submitted my first story here in July 2006, the day I registered. I've posted an average of 1.7 entries a week steadily since then (845 total as of today). If I ever won anything in the monthly contests, I don't know about it.

Well you would see a blue W on your page, but not everyone checks up and down their list all the time.

a couple years ago I was talking with an author here Mentalcase who told me one of his stories apparently won a monthly. He was never notified and had no idea until one of his readers mentioned it in his blog.

he tried to contact the site(ha-ha) through the home page then figured out how to PM laurel who told him months had passed and it was too late.

They are notified now as that's how I found out when I won last July, through an e-mail and a PM.
 
Just throwing more gas on the fire as far as things being personal here.

Pilot used to get green E's. Then he started being seen a s PIA on the boards. Now he doesn't get them anymore.

Did his writing take a serious downhill turn? Doubtful, he's just not liked anymore so no more editor's choice for him.
 
I'm just patiently waiting for others to catch up with me in Green Es.
 
Does anyone get green Es? In nearly two years hanging out here I've never spotted one on a current story (i.e. one on a hub). Not that I look at all the hubs every day . . .
 
Does anyone get green Es? In nearly two years hanging out here I've never spotted one on a current story (i.e. one on a hub). Not that I look at all the hubs every day . . .

There appear to be 921 Green E stories thus far (https://search.literotica.com/searc...t_order=desc&editors_choice=on&author=&page=1). I've seen at least one on the new list in recent months, but you could wade through the list looking for recent ones.

Later: This is apparently the most recent one. 11 January 2016: https://www.literotica.com/s/in-places-on-the-run-ch-05
 
Last edited:
Does anyone get green Es? In nearly two years hanging out here I've never spotted one on a current story (i.e. one on a hub). Not that I look at all the hubs every day . . .

I have a green E on a poem.
 
Back
Top