Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to include paraprosdokians, if only because I love the way they get people leaning inone direction and then suddenly whip them off into unexpected directions.

paraprosdokian: a figure of speech that uses an unexpected ending to a series or phrase, causing the reader or listened to reinterpret the first elementin the context of the final element.

How exactly does one fluidly pronounce that? It sounds more like a prescription.

Welcome, tolyk.

polygyny - noun the practice of having more than one wife or female mate at one time

Seldom-used word, Allard? I'm an anthropologist, you know.
And did you also know that sororal polygyny was a preferred form in some socities, notably among the Plains Tribes. It was felt that sisters already got along well together, so it would be good if they shared a husband. There are quite a few interesting tales arising from this practice.

Very smart of you, Trysail. I experienced that very thing, when I was in Tennessee. Not pleasant, but I survived it all. The street signs are hooked to cables that stretch across the street and when the wind blows, they swing wildly back and forth. For a Californian, it was a strange sight.

Yes, Tio, they touched on that subject in the movie and book, I suppose, called "Little Big Man". It was done with an element of humor in that case. To be honest, I did not know the correct term for it. Thank you for the additional information, dear.

polyglotism - noun the use of many languages; the ability to speak many languages

Of course, I had to post this word, even though it has been in the news, often;

polygamy - noun the state or fact of being polygamous; esp: marriage in which a spouse of either sex may possess a plurality of mates at the same time

The Mormons were much more polygynous than polygamous, don't you agree?

Of course, I had to post this word, even though it has been in the news, often;

polygamy - noun the state or fact of being polygamous; esp: marriage in which a spouse of either sex may possess a plurality of mates at the same time

The Mormons were much more polygynous than polygamous, don't you agree?

Yes - Old Testament stuff - ONLY polygyny. It just in the musical "Paint Your Wagon" that the question of polyandry comes up.

Oh, so lets not forget polyandry - a marriage system in which a woman has more than one husband at the same time. And, of course, there is fraternal polyandry, where the multiple husbands are brothers.

Harold, I have never used the ignore listing for anyone as yet. So how did unsusiana get blocked? Just curious...

Tio, do you know of any examples of fraternal polyandry?

The second entry was of interest to me;

polygamous - adj 1.a of or relating to polygamy b. having more than one spouse or mate at a time 2. bearing both hermaphrodyte and unisex flowers on the same plant

There are far fewer cases of polyandry than polygyny; most, including the fraternal variety, are in Asia. I'll get you some specific references over the weekend.

I appreciate that very much, Tio. A very interesting subject to me...

What a beautiful word for such a odd subject;

polygala - noun MILKWORT

Harold, I have never used the ignore listing for anyone as yet. So how did unsusiana get blocked? Just curious...

vBulletin has the capability to place a user on a universal ignore list -- so that the person shows up as if on everyone's ignore list. I didn't know Lit used the blanket ignore list, but unless you accidentally put unsusiana on your ignore list, it is the most likely explanation.

Harold, that must be the case, because I have not blocked anyone, ever.

polydipsia - noun excessive or abnormal thirst

I have seen cats with too many toes, so I suppose they are in this class;

polydactyl - adj having several to many and especially abnormally many digits

I have seen cats with too many toes, so I suppose they are in this class;

polydactyl - adj having several to many and especially abnormally many digits

Many years ago, before many AH members were born, I was introduced to carpentry by a Spanish cooper. Apart from learning how to make a barrel, and how to make curved shapes in wood, I was fascinated by his hands. He had two thumbs on each hand. Very unusually, both thumbs were operational and he could use either or both to grip with. Most people born as polydactyls have fixed digits that are useless.

A few years later, one of my friend's girlfriends, later his wife, had webbing between her toes, linking each toe to the next one. It meant that she never had sand between her toes. It was supposed to be an advantage for swimming but she didn't think so.

Both aberrations were classed as benign - they were not disabling or inconvenient.

Most human polydactyls have non-functional digits surgically removed.

Og, you have the most amazing stories to tell, even more so because they are true!

Trysail, I had a manx blend cat, whose mother had no tail and extra toes on her front paws. My kitten was not aflicted with any abnormalities, other than the biggest and fattest tail I have ever seen on a tabby. She was clumsy as a kitten and acquired the name, Grace. hehe

poltroonery - noun mean pusillanimity: COWARDICE

Og, you have the most amazing stories to tell, even more so because they are true!

Trysail, I had a manx blend cat, whose mother had no tail and extra toes on her front paws. My kitten was not aflicted with any abnormalities, other than the biggest and fattest tail I have ever seen on a tabby. She was clumsy as a kitten and acquired the name, Grace. hehe

poltroonery - noun mean pusillanimity: COWARDICE

I had hitherto thought that 'Poltroon' meant worthless, as in casual or disposable. Now I understand better. Thank you.

Handley, there were two entries for;

poltroon(1) - noun a spiritless coward: CRAVEN

poltroon(2) - adj characterized by complete cowardice

Edward, I have several cats, but only one is allowed indoors and he never stays for long, so fleas are not a problem.

pollex - noun the first digit of the forearm: THUMB

Convivial

adj \kən-ˈviv-yəl, -ˈvi-vē-əl\

Origin of CONVIVIAL
Late Latin convivialis, from Latin convivium banquet, from com- + vivere to live — more at quick
First Known Use: circa 1668

Synonyms: boon, clubbable (also clubable), clubby, companionable, extroverted (also extraverted), gregarious, outgoing, sociable, social

Antonyms: antisocial, insociable, introverted, nongregarious, reclusive, unsociable, unsocial

I was down on the GB and thought of this seldom used word. Odd i'dn't it?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back