Adultery in the "Loving Wives" category

Erotic Coupling is the site's default category. It stands to reason it would have the most stories in it.

Yes, but the critical issue for a significant number of trollish reader-voters is whether the adultery goes unpunished. These readers will approve an adultery story in which the cheating wife gets her just desserts, but will savagely downgrade any story in which she does not.
You may disagree, but I am hardly a troll, and I believe that cheating is wrong and there should be consequences for it. Note, I am talking about cheating, where the wife either has sex with another man behind her husband's back or over his objections. While there are certainly some BTB trolls who will scream "RAAC!" at anything that isn't burning with extreme prejudice, most of the Consequence fans (which I consider myself) simply feel that there should be SOME consequence, hopefully to a degree commensurate with the offense.

I think the stories that get savaged the most are the ones where the husband willingly accepts his cuckoldry. While they might PREFER that the wife gets punished, if the husband at least walks away and leaves her the story will get much better treatment.

It seems to be a category that more readers bring personal baggage to than those reading in other categories. Maybe they shouldn't be picking at the personal scabs by reading there at all.

It seems to be a category that more readers bring personal baggage to than those reading in other categories. Maybe they shouldn't be picking at the personal scabs by reading there at all.
I can only speak definitively for myself, but you don't need to have been cheated on to dislike cheaters not paying the consequences for their cheating. Do you have to have been robbed, or raped or have a loved one murdered to believe that people who do those things should suffer consequences? Yes, I know that adultery is no longer a crime, but MOST people consider it wrong, and I BELIEVE that most of those believe that that those who commit adultery should pay some consequences. And to repeat my opening statement, they don't necessarily have to be the victims of adultery to feel that way.

You may disagree, but I am hardly a troll, and I believe that cheating is wrong and there should be consequences for it. Note, I am talking about cheating, where the wife either has sex with another man behind her husband's back or over his objections. While there are certainly some BTB trolls who will scream "RAAC!" at anything that isn't burning with extreme prejudice, most of the Consequence fans (which I consider myself) simply feel that there should be SOME consequence, hopefully to a degree commensurate with the offense.

I think the stories that get savaged the most are the ones where the husband willingly accepts his cuckoldry. While they might PREFER that the wife gets punished, if the husband at least walks away and leaves her the story will get much better treatment.

I respect your views about marriage and cheating, etc. I don't think you are a troll. But Lit isn't the real world; it's an erotic fantasy world. I don't understand readers importing their moral views from the real world to 1-bomb a fantasy story about a cheating wife because the fantasy doesn't fit with their views about how things ought to be in the real world. The slut wife fantasy is a very popular fantasy in erotic fiction. There are people who like to indulge that fantasy in fiction even if they wouldn't want to indulge in it in the real world. That's my attitude about incest, by the way. I've enjoyed writing incest stories, and I seem to have done OK at writing them, but in the real world I think it's personally repellent. It's not something I ever fantasize about in the real world. I enjoy a very wide range of erotic stories, even about activities in which in the real world I would have no interest whatsoever in participating. That's normal, I think.

If a story is well-written and imaginative, it shouldn't be 1-bombed because it conflicts with the reader's idea of "the way things should be." That's my view. There are so many stories on this site that are badly written and deserve bad grades that, in my opinion, it shows bad judgment to give a 1 to a well-written story that simply conflicts with the reader's idea of what an acceptable fantasy is.

And in the case of the willing cuckold fantasy, the fact is that there ARE happily married couples that engage in this behavior. If there's one thing about erotica that I would think readers at this site would understand, it's that the variety of sexual behavior and taste is practically infinite, and one size does not fit all. One is within one's rights to look at somebody else's fantasy and say "I wouldn't want to do that." By how on earth does that justify giving somebody a 1 for their story? I don't think it does.

I think there would be less of an issue if the criticism was coming from an actual place of real criticism. Instead it feels like a brigade of people who don't like a certain fetish or kink and instantly swarm and attack anything that approaches that particular thing which is really dumb.

I get why somebody may not like that particular subject matter. Especially if they had it happen to them. At a deeper level, a better criticism would be that most (not all) stories need conflict so a completely willing cuckold and a cheating wife with no morals doesn't really create the conflict to propel a good story sometimes. (Again not always.)

That being said it still comes down to personal taste. And the idea that cheating mandatorily needs a punishing moral consequence otherwise it must be met with rage and anger doesn't make sense.

I'm new here but I've noticed the ratings for loving wives story on a subjective level "feel" less accurate compared to the other categories. When you see a certain score in the lesbian category, it seems to roughly reflect the quality of the story. You may like it more or less and of course there are hidden gems or over-rated stories but it doesn't feel like the score has generally been manipulated. When you see a score in the loving wives category, you really kinda have no idea. Which is a bit frustrating.

I can only speak definitively for myself, but you don't need to have been cheated on to dislike cheaters not paying the consequences for their cheating. Do you have to have been robbed, or raped or have a loved one murdered to believe that people who do those things should suffer consequences? Yes, I know that adultery is no longer a crime, but MOST people consider it wrong, and I BELIEVE that most of those believe that that those who commit adultery should pay some consequences. And to repeat my opening statement, they don't necessarily have to be the victims of adultery to feel that way.

I think you miss that I'm suggesting a reader probably should just stop reading on issues that makes him/her hyperventilate. That reader isn't the only person in the world to be satisfied by a story.

Unless you're totally into thinking the world revolves around you I think you jolly well could keep your reading dislikes to yourself and just not read in that category.

I think you miss that I'm suggesting a reader probably should just stop reading on issues that makes him/her hyperventilate. That reader isn't the only person in the world to be satisfied by a story.

Unless you're totally into thinking the world revolves around you I think you jolly well could keep your reading dislikes to yourself and just not read in that category.
Excuse me? I like reading Cheating and Consequence stories. I find then in LW. Why should I not read in that category?

I think there would be less of an issue if the criticism was coming from an actual place of real criticism. Instead it feels like a brigade of people who don't like a certain fetish or kink and instantly swarm and attack anything that approaches that particular thing which is really dumb.

I get why somebody may not like that particular subject matter. Especially if they had it happen to them. At a deeper level, a better criticism would be that most (not all) stories need conflict so a completely willing cuckold and a cheating wife with no morals doesn't really create the conflict to propel a good story sometimes. (Again not always.)

That being said it still comes down to personal taste. And the idea that cheating mandatorily needs a punishing moral consequence otherwise it must be met with rage and anger doesn't make sense.

I'm new here but I've noticed the ratings for loving wives story on a subjective level "feel" less accurate compared to the other categories. When you see a certain score in the lesbian category, it seems to roughly reflect the quality of the story. You may like it more or less and of course there are hidden gems or over-rated stories but it doesn't feel like the score has generally been manipulated. When you see a score in the loving wives category, you really kinda have no idea. Which is a bit frustrating.
First, I think you mentioning "fetish" is quite interesting, because the biggest "swarm" if you will is against cuckold stories, which many, if not most, of us IS a fetish and therefore belongs in the Fetish category, not in LW,

As far as cheating might not need a consequence (I'm not sure how you define "punishing") I guess we're going to have to disagree. I'm not saying that if they don't they should be met with rage and anger, I've written some reconciliation stories myself, but even there there MUST be some consequence prior to the reconciliation.

but even there there MUST be some consequence prior to the reconciliation.

If what you are saying is that this is your personal taste and you don't enjoy a story about any kind of adultery without consequence, then that's fine.

But if you are saying that a story about adultery without consequence should automatically be downgraded, then I don't understand this. The fantasy of a husband enjoying his wife's extra-marital activities is an extremely common and popular fantasy in erotic stories. There are couples that indulge this in real life, as well. What justification is there to downgrade a story because the author's fantasies don't match your own?

If what you are saying is that this is your personal taste and you don't enjoy a story about any kind of adultery without consequence, then that's fine.

But if you are saying that a story about adultery without consequence should automatically be downgraded, then I don't understand this. The fantasy of a husband enjoying his wife's extra-marital activities is an extremely common and popular fantasy in erotic stories. There are couples that indulge this in real life, as well. What justification is there to downgrade a story because the author's fantasies don't match your own?
The topic was "adultery," and if the husband is enjoying his wife's extra-marital affairs it is while technically still adultery, for Lit purposes that is cuckoldry, and since I don't read them, I don't score them. Not to restart the "category wars," but since cuckoldry is a fetish, it should really be in "Fetish" rather than LW.

Whether it SHOULD be downgraded is a matter of opinion, and I can't at the moment think of how there can be NO consequences without being cuckold, even if the only consequence is that the husband walks away, but yes, if I read a story where the wife cheats and everything goes on like nothing happened, I WILL downgrade it. Not a 1-bomb, but that story will automatically lose a star from me. The most it could get from me is a four.

If you feel I'm unreasonable, that is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.

First, I think you mentioning "fetish" is quite interesting, because the biggest "swarm" if you will is against cuckold stories, which many, if not most, of us IS a fetish and therefore belongs in the Fetish category, not in LW,

As far as cheating might not need a consequence (I'm not sure how you define "punishing") I guess we're going to have to disagree. I'm not saying that if they don't they should be met with rage and anger, I've written some reconciliation stories myself, but even there there MUST be some consequence prior to the reconciliation.

Perhaps it's because I've not been here that long, but I'm confused by the LW category readers' insistence that anything in particular should happen in a piece of free fiction.

Why does there need to be a consequence? The only contract with the reader is that the story contains a 'loving wife'. It's like the people who come into non-con and comment on how rape is illegal. (Yes, we know, many people write non-con to deal with their own trauma, they don't need bullet points in the finer points of consent).

To me, that behaviour's a form of policing that shows an extremely entitled attitude. Everything posted here is vetted and sanctioned, which means it obeys the rules of the site, including category placement.

The writer writes their own fantasy and they share it... anyone who likes it likes it, anyone who doesn't should move on like a grown adult. Downvoting it with a 1 and then attacking every other piece of that person's work, while leaving incoherent 'anonymous' attacks on the rest of that writer's work, (which may well be technically very adept), is childish.

I'm sure there's plenty of fiction on here where men and women alike are cheated on, and undoubtedly there's fiction on here from all perspectives (gay/straight/other), but it's the straight males that cause all the fuss and threaten and hide their names so that they can attack the authors. As I say, I think it's childish. The rest of us just get on. Star what we like, hit 'back' on anything we don't and find something else to read.

We don't get to tell each other what to write. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and authors are entitled to delete that opinion, but a ratings troll-attack isn't an opinion. It's petty vengeance from petty people.

First of all, I'm obviously NOT anonymous. Why aren't I allowed to give a low score to a story I don't care for? The low scores are there for that purpose. If the mods didn't want us to give ones and twos they could limit scoring to three through five!

It's not what SHOULD happen, per se, but I personally feel that a cheater, male OR female, should suffer SOME consequence. That doesn't have to be BTB, but if there is no consequence then the story becomes a willing cuckold story.

I DON'T attack every other piece of a person's work. I'm a big fan of BigGuy33, but that didn't stop me from disliking the ending of "A Beautiful View" to the point of, with his permission, writing a follow-up to it.

I don't attempt to "police" what stories should be here, but I reserve the right to score stories as I wish, and to comment as I feel appropriate.

Guess you fit in well with the LW commenter group. That's your privilege.

The topic was "adultery," and if the husband is enjoying his wife's extra-marital affairs it is while technically still adultery, for Lit purposes that is cuckoldry, and since I don't read them, I don't score them. Not to restart the "category wars," but since cuckoldry is a fetish, it should really be in "Fetish" rather than LW.

Whether it SHOULD be downgraded is a matter of opinion, and I can't at the moment think of how there can be NO consequences without being cuckold, even if the only consequence is that the husband walks away, but yes, if I read a story where the wife cheats and everything goes on like nothing happened, I WILL downgrade it. Not a 1-bomb, but that story will automatically lose a star from me. The most it could get from me is a four.

If you feel I'm unreasonable, that is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.

No, I think that's a reasonable, mature approach. You didn't enjoy it, sure, drop a star. But that's not the trolls do. They perform calculated attacks against the author, who has every right to write whatever they please, and have it enjoyed by whoever enjoys it.

As for consequences without cuckolding, you can let something go without enjoying it for the sake of what's otherwise a valued relationship. The only thing that gets in the way of that is ego. Assuming that letting it go shows weakness, which is a betrayal of masculinity.

Women have lived with their husbands having mistresses for centuries. Some of the greatest classical love stories acknowledge this, but no one bats an eyelid. But if it's a woman committing adultery, it seems that has to have consequences. I don't see it.

Outside of hetero, relationships take all forms, and infidelity's dealt with differently by every couple (or thrupple, or whatever). But I disagree that letting it go is a fetish. Obviously if the husband's there, stroking himself, that's firmly in the 'cuck' category, and I guess there's an argument for saying that belongs in the fetish category. But you could also argue if the wife truly loves her husband and he gets off on it, she's doing him a service, and that's awfully loving of her. :cool:

No, I think that's a reasonable, mature approach. You didn't enjoy it, sure, drop a star. But that's not the trolls do. They perform calculated attacks against the author, who has every right to write whatever they please, and have it enjoyed by whoever enjoys it.

As for consequences without cuckolding, you can let something go without enjoying it for the sake of what's otherwise a valued relationship. The only thing that gets in the way of that is ego. Assuming that letting it go shows weakness, which is a betrayal of masculinity.

Women have lived with their husbands having mistresses for centuries. Some of the greatest classical love stories acknowledge this, but no one bats an eyelid. But if it's a woman committing adultery, it seems that has to have consequences. I don't see it.

Outside of hetero, relationships take all forms, and infidelity's dealt with differently by every couple (or thrupple, or whatever). But I disagree that letting it go is a fetish. Obviously if the husband's there, stroking himself, that's firmly in the 'cuck' category, and I guess there's an argument for saying that belongs in the fetish category. But you could also argue if the wife truly loves her husband and he gets off on it, she's doing him a service, and that's awfully loving of her. :cool:
Oh, you really struck a nerve with that one! Why is it wrong for a man to have an ego? Isn't it the woman's ego that often drives her to cheat, whether it's the blow to her ego as she ages, or the boost to her ego as other men pursue her?

And I think you're dating yourself with that "no one bats an eye lid" at male adultery. Maybe in the "Mad Men" days, and maybe with the Clinton/Trump apologists, but I think there were MANY eyelids batted there!

I caught the emoji, but I doubt that any woman who DIDN'T want to have sex with another man would do so just so her husband could get off on it, any more than she would have sex with a woman for him if she didn't want to!

I'm thinking that reading erotica fiction isn't really entertaining and tension releasing enough for you and you might look into taking up golf instead.

Let's try this again. It's not your place to tell anyone else what they can write to the LW category that the Web site will publish and place there. If you can't just trot off and read stories that don't outrage you and make you want to punish them each time someone posts a story that didn't get your personal approval, you're just being a dick.

Last edited:
Oh, you really struck a nerve with that one! Why is it wrong for a man to have an ego? Isn't it the woman's ego that often drives her to cheat, whether it's the blow to her ego as she ages, or the boost to her ego as other men pursue her?

And I think you're dating yourself with that "no one bats an eye lid" at male adultery. Maybe in the "Mad Men" days, and maybe with the Clinton/Trump apologists, but I think there were MANY eyelids batted there!

I caught the emoji, but I doubt that any woman who DIDN'T want to have sex with another man would do so just so her husband could get off on it, any more than she would have sex with a woman for him if she didn't want to!

It's not wrong to have an ego, it's just sad to let that ego extend from real life into petty attacks on writers who don't write what you like.

Mate, it's fiction. It's just fiction. As to why women cheat, *shrug* you'd have to ask the individual. In a closed relationship like marriage, I believe cheating's one of the worst betrayals, but here in the world of Lit, I don't really care what happens as long as it involves a lot of sex.

And over in the fet category, I'm sure you will find tales of wives reluctantly fucking men they don't want to, in order to make their cuck husbands' fantasies come true - in fact, I've read plenty of those before. Because it's, *drumroll*, fiction. *jazz hands*

That's my key point here. What's acceptable in real life vs what should be acceptable in fiction are, in my mind, two very separate things.

I'm not saying a reader shouldn't want there to be a response to the cheating... of course, it's natural to be angry and to want the cheat to suffer as you have, if that's your thing... all I'm saying is, a) it's fiction, b) why do people care so goddamn much, and c) if there's not a consequence, that doesn't necessarily make it a 'cuck' story, so the trolls should really just give it a rest and find something more productive to do with themselves.

I'm thinking that reading erotica fiction isn't really entertaining and tension releasing enough for you and you might look into taking up golf instead.

Let's try this again. It's not your place to tell anyone else what they can write to the LW category that the Web site will publish and place there. If you can't just trot off and read stories that don't outrage you and make you want to punish them each time someone posts a story that didn't get your personal approval, you're just being a dick.
Yes, let's try this again. Where do you see me telling anyone what they can write? How is it being a dick if I give a low score to a story I don't like? Isn't that what low scores are for?

It's not wrong to have an ego, it's just sad to let that ego extend from real life into petty attacks on writers who don't write what you like.

Mate, it's fiction. It's just fiction. As to why women cheat, *shrug* you'd have to ask the individual. In a closed relationship like marriage, I believe cheating's one of the worst betrayals, but here in the world of Lit, I don't really care what happens as long as it involves a lot of sex.

And over in the fet category, I'm sure you will find tales of wives reluctantly fucking men they don't want to, in order to make their cuck husbands' fantasies come true - in fact, I've read plenty of those before. Because it's, *drumroll*, fiction. *jazz hands*

That's my key point here. What's acceptable in real life vs what should be acceptable in fiction are, in my mind, two very separate things.

I'm not saying a reader shouldn't want there to be a response to the cheating... of course, it's natural to be angry and to want the cheat to suffer as you have, if that's your thing... all I'm saying is, a) it's fiction, b) why do people care so goddamn much, and c) if there's not a consequence, that doesn't necessarily make it a 'cuck' story, so the trolls should really just give it a rest and find something more productive to do with themselves.
I'm not talking about MY ego, LOL! It's the male characters who rebel against being cheated on are accused of being unable to get over their "fragile male egos."

We care if the story is well written so that we "believe" in the character and/or situation. Why write a story if you don't want readers to care?

So, if a husband finds out his wife cheated on him, and he just accepts it, and doesn't SOMEHOW make her pay for her infidelity, how is he not a cuckold? I am willing to be educated if you can SOMEHOW explain it to me!

Yes, let's try this again. Where do you see me telling anyone what they can write? How is it being a dick if I give a low score to a story I don't like? Isn't that what low scores are for?

I'll stay with you here, because I think it's important to understand the difference between rating down a story that's bad (badly written, a mess, bad in every way, should never have been submitted in that state) and a story that has an ending you personally dislike, but that's well written and truly not actually offensive. A 'lack of' something can't be offensive. Or, at least, it shouldn't be.

Yes, you can rate that down. But to my mind, those stars are there to help readers gauge the quality of the work, not someone's preferences. Who cares if you personally like or don't like a story? Starring it down tells readers it's probably badly executed. Wheras all it means when LW folks do this is 'this did not go the way I wanted it to'.

When I open something that's truly not my kink, but it's well-written, I'll still rate it a 5. Good writing should be rewarded, or it'll go away. And you never know what that person might write next.

What you're describing sounds like, 'someone wrote a story I don't think should exist, so I'm rating it down'. And I think that's an unfortunate attitude to have towards contributors.

Well, I could write you a story that would illustrate how this might work. My concern is that you feel someone's a 'cuck' if they don't take revenge or 'act out' against their partner, regardless of the circumstances, and I'm not sure I could write something that'd convince you otherwise, since you'll interpret it through the lens of your own emotional response to that situation.

I guess we could go to therapy together. *grins*

Ah, it's just fiction. Not worth all this angst.

Back