Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but when I did a Google search under that dude's name, he was SUPER BIG TIME down that way, so you gotta figure if he put stuff out under his name, it's gotta be legit.

That's a good idea. I'd like to reduce the kitchen prep time for seasonings, though. I'm a single guy doing the apartment city life and I don't have a Bourdain-sized kitchen. Doing food prep by itself is more than enough for me, so those ready-made seasoning mixes are a load off my mind.

Hell, I'm pissed off my Korean supermarket doesn't carry these anymore because it made fried rice meals tasty:

k2-_22759370-ed63-4bad-968d-df67524d5556.v1.jpg

I mean, I can still make it without it, but I liked having that extra touch, yanno? ;)

Maybe you can get it on Amazon Zumi.

So, my Mama has arrived to stay with me for a month and she has an intollerance to tomatoes.
Around 75% of the winter foods I make use tomatoes, either as a sauce or as a major part of the ingredients, so I went hunting for a no tomato, tomato sauce.
Found this one...... http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-nomato-sauce-tomato-free-tomato-sauce-359835 ....which I made yesterday and tried in a curry.
It is a very bland basic sauce that works well, but definitely needs the addition of dish-appropriate herbs and spices.
My curry had the taste and texture that it usually has, so this basic sauce gets the thumbs up.

Note: it absolutely must have some acidity, so the addition of lime/lemon/vinegar, depending on the flavour profile of the dish you'll be making is super-important - otherwise the sauce will be too sweet.

Last edited:
So, my Mama has arrived to stay with me for a month and she has an intollerance to tomatoes.
Around 75% of the winter foods I make use tomatoes, either as a sauce or as a major part of the ingredients, so I went hunting for a no tomato, tomato sauce.
Found this one...... http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-nomato-sauce-tomato-free-tomato-sauce-359835 ....which I made yesterday and tried in a curry.
It is a very bland basic sauce that works well, but definitely needs the addition of dish-appropriate herbs and spices.
My curry had the taste and texture that it usually has, so this basic sauce gets the thumbs up.

Note: it absolutely must have some acidity, so the addition of lime/lemon/vinegar, depending on the flavour profile of the dish you'll be making is super-important - otherwise the sauce will be too sweet.

If she isn't intolerant of bell peppers - from the same nightshade family as tomatoes - red bell peppers make an excellent red sauce.

If you need some acidity, red wine vinegar is a good addition. Too many balsamic vinegars are just red wine with caramel color and sweetener.

If she isn't intolerant of bell peppers - from the same nightshade family as tomatoes - red bell peppers make an excellent red sauce.

If you need some acidity, red wine vinegar is a good addition. Too many balsamic vinegars are just red wine with caramel color and sweetener.

Speaking of vinegars, I have been liking champagne vinegar lately. Using chicken stock and splashes of champagne vinegar in place of white wine in recipes. Very nice.

Deutsche Welle television on PBS aired a short clip about Kitchen On the Run.

Blurb

"Kitchen on the Run is a mobile kitchen unit that tours throughout Europe. The project invites locals and refugees to cook and eat together. But the start of Ramadan poses extra challenges."

I watched the clip, and a lovely table was set.
30 will sit and eat the meal they prepped and cooked together.

They started to make this mobile kitchen available in March.
Many contributed money so that this project could happen.
They have travelled to many stops in Europe, and will end the tour in August.
It is a project that is fostering understanding and peace.

http://www.dw.com/en/kitchen-on-the-run/av-19317520

Hearing a refugee say that they had not been able to cook for six months, surprised me. I have not lived without a kitchen, unless I was travelling.

They looked so happy, while shopping and cooking.
It seems they found what they needed in the market, to cook what they were familiar with.

I went to a Serbian restaurant recently, and had spicy beef meatballs in what I thought was tomato sauce as a appetizer.

It was actually a puree of red bell peppers, and it was fantastic!

She's fine with peppers, but right now they are $15/kg! :eek:
The major flooding here on Tus/Wed last week has destroyed a LOT of market gardens and prices have shot thro the roof.

Tequila, prosecco and lemonade with fresh lemons and blueberries. Perfect on a hot day.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Speaking of vinegars, I have been liking champagne vinegar lately. Using chicken stock and splashes of champagne vinegar in place of white wine in recipes. Very nice.

It's a nice light vinegar, had it on spinach and greens. Not good for marinades, since the garlic I use overpowers it LOL

She's fine with peppers, but right now they are $15/kg! :eek:
The major flooding here on Tus/Wed last week has destroyed a LOT of market gardens and prices have shot thro the roof.

Out freaking rageous!
By summer's end I should have some red bell pepper sauce jarred for winter.

Yesterday I made, for the first time in my 40ish years of cooking, potato salad WITHOUT eggs, mustard, and pickle juice. Used shredded cheddar and real bacon pieces in it. Son was amazed how well it came out.

Made a batch of mango chutney today.

It's going to go so well on ham sandwiches and the cold sliced slightly ginger-flavoured roast pork I made yesterday.

Yummo. You mob come with some great tucker!

I've been sitting here chewing on some home made jerky from the last beast we killed getting all sorts of culinary ideas.

This batch is soaked in bourbon and cajun spices for a week before i dry it. If I dont hide it, it dissapears into the bloody kids lunch boxes. Found a secret stash this arvo.

Keep up the cookery. You're inspiring me.

I have been pondering ginger pork lately...
If you have a recipe, please share :)

There ya go!

PORK LOIN ROAST IN GINGER MARINADE

2 to 2 1/2 lb. boneless pork loin, trimmed of all fat and sinew or boneless chops
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (3 inch) piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tbsp. wine vinegar
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 c. chicken or beef stock

Place the pork loin in a glass or ceramic dish, and blend the remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender. Cover the pork with the marinade and refrigerate overnight.
Bring the pork to room temperature and roast in a baking pan in a 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour, basting occasionally with the marinade. The pork may be served warm or at room temperature, sliced thin and accompanied by chutney or mustard.

Thinking I might do a cous-cous with peppers, baby corn, lime, garlic, shallotts, and prawns... but gone and left the fromage frais in the fridge at work :rolleyes:
I do have sweet chilli though... so yea, feel in the mood for that :p

Thinking I might do a cous-cous with peppers, baby corn, lime, garlic, shallotts, and prawns... but gone and left the fromage frais in the fridge at work :rolleyes:
I do have sweet chilli though... so yea, feel in the mood for that :p
sounds proper yummy :)

i just tried something different with a salad - nuthin too fancy; i already had cold cooked chicken, so made up a bowl of finely sliced/chopped white cabbage, grated carrots, green bell pepper, sweet red onion, and tomatoes, then squeezed half a fresh lemon over it, sprinkled sea salt/green herbs, a splash of olive oil, and a good big blob of pistachio pesto. tossed it all and it worked really well for me :cool: the pistachio was set off with little zings of sea salt and the sharp freshness of the lemon juice.

Tequila, prosecco and lemonade with fresh lemons and blueberries. Perfect on a hot day.

attachment.php

I see you're a Hornitos drinker. ;)

I've been switching up my tequila buys for variety's sake. Currently on Altos silver. Might try making what you did one day, that does look delish.

olmeca-altos-plata.jpg

No Asian market near me. I do have an eastern European one and two Middle Eastern ones. Their spice packets for rice are good. Add a nice kick.

Except for pasted on nutritional info sticker, the packets are either printed in various eastern Europe languages or possibly Arabic. No idea what is in them. Probably just a generic mix common to most spicy rice seasonings.

The eastern European market usually has a sheep milk cheese which is awesome.

A British market opened up so I don't have to go downtown to get Wensleydale cheese. They sell more curry products then an Indian market in town.

Can't stand bell peppers. The whole meal taste like bell peppers. Like drinking Tequila, all you can taste after is Tequila.

Love uncooked tomatoes. Hate the taste cooked. Really have to go mental on the curry spices and garlic to cover over tomato taste in my curried chicken meals.

Maple wine vinegar is amazing. But you have to get to local winery almost immediately before they sell out.

Red pepper jelly rules. A dab in a red wine pan sauce adds a nice touch.

sounds proper yummy :)

i just tried something different with a salad - nuthin too fancy; i already had cold cooked chicken, so made up a bowl of finely sliced/chopped white cabbage, grated carrots, green bell pepper, sweet red onion, and tomatoes, then squeezed half a fresh lemon over it, sprinkled sea salt/green herbs, a splash of olive oil, and a good big blob of pistachio pesto. tossed it all and it worked really well for me :cool: the pistachio was set off with little zings of sea salt and the sharp freshness of the lemon juice.

It was :) Yours sounds crammed full of good stuff - can't go wrong with that, but... pesto with salad ... hmm... sounds interesting. I'm not sure I've tried the pistachio version but I will now.

A British market opened up so I don't have to go downtown to get Wensleydale cheese.

Or the moon! :D

Outback Steakhouse has Loaded Bloomin' Onions, bacon cheese fries on top of a bloomin' onion. Son and his bff went to lunch there, got them. Usually they have leftovers when they do junk food lunches. Not today. He said they ate it all, to save my life, too much fat.

FUCK THEM BOTH!

(no not really lol)

I see you're a Hornitos drinker. ;)

I've been switching up my tequila buys for variety's sake. Currently on Altos silver. Might try making what you did one day, that does look delish.

olmeca-altos-plata.jpg

It was really good. I'm not chained to any certain brand. The fella was going to pick it up for me, and I just asked for a moderate reposado, as it was going in a cocktail. Opening the bottle brought back the days of drinking chilled tequila straight with my fella's hockey team after their games. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back