n363YUq.jpg

TMuXGUJ.jpg

fAHOUlB.jpg

8JRdGIF.jpg

OpOtjlt.jpg

kmyOJf5.jpg

https://youtu.be/sklqc1MQU3I

Very nice.

Planning to go to Chamonix, next year. Got a conference to help pay the way.

Sweet! I've never been to Cham. It's funny, all those years I was doing all that climbing, and I never made it to either the Alps or Yosemite. The twin Meccas of the climber. Foolish, really, always thinking I needed to be better to really appreciate them...so I missed them.

Chamonix is one of my favorite places. I've spent a lot of time there— skiing and climbing.

'tis where I saw my first "real" mountain.

"“Hayden survived the avalanche but not the unbearable loss of his partner in life. He chose to end his life. Myself and his mother Julie sorrowfully respect his decision,” he added."

- Michael Kennedy

Story

Personally, I think this guy was fucked up. And there's no fucking way I'd respect his decision if my kid offed himself because his mate died.

*listens and watches Everest video*

Full, weight, import, of the seriousness of it.

Strange balance- dire consequences balanced against unimaginable beauty

2 Climbers Fall To Their Deaths From El Capitan in Yosemite

by James Doubek

(NPR) Two men climbing a granite rock wall known as El Capitan in Yosemite National Park fell to their deaths Saturday morning, the National Park Service said.

The agency said Jason Wells, 46, of Boulder, Colo., and Tim Klien, 42, of Palmdale, Calif., fell from the Freeblast climbing route and did not survive the fall...

...Almost exactly a year ago, climber Alex Honnold gained the world's attention when he reached El Capitan's peak in just under four hours doing a "free-solo," without safety gear.

Honnold said in 2016 that the rock's Freeblast section "is like a 10-pitch slab," and large sections of El Capitan are "basically like walking on a sheet of glass."

more...

Jesus. The guy wants to build a hotel above the tree line on Mt. Washington. Fuck that shit.

The Fight Over New Hampshire's Tallest Mountain
by Annie Ropeik

(NPR)...GOVATSKI: That's actually the area where the hotel would be. You can see how close it would be.

ROPEIK: The hotel is a plan from the Mount Washington Cog Railway, which runs tourist trains up the mountain and owns a narrow strip of land for its tracks. The potential hotel would straddle those tracks in the alpine zone...

...ROPEIK: Outside, dozens of people wait in line for a photo with a pile of rocks marking the summit. And Cog Railway trains chug out of their station, heading down the mountain. I meet Cog owner Wayne Presby at their base station. He says his hotel could boost this rural economy and ease the strain on other overcrowded mountain facilities.

WAYNE PRESBY: I think we're one of the key pieces of the economy for Mount Washington and for tourism in general in the state of New Hampshire.

ROPEIK: Presby would need a special county permit to build his hotel in the alpine zone. But he thinks it'd be worth it. He says people who don't hike up the mountain want to enjoy that environment just as much as hikers do. And he thinks they'll respect it.

PRESBY: People like to visit mountain tops, and not all of them are capable of hiking...

more...

Jesus. The guy wants to build a hotel above the tree line on Mt. Washington. Fuck that shit.

The Fight Over New Hampshire's Tallest Mountain
by Annie Ropeik

(NPR)...GOVATSKI: That's actually the area where the hotel would be. You can see how close it would be.

ROPEIK: The hotel is a plan from the Mount Washington Cog Railway, which runs tourist trains up the mountain and owns a narrow strip of land for its tracks. The potential hotel would straddle those tracks in the alpine zone...

...ROPEIK: Outside, dozens of people wait in line for a photo with a pile of rocks marking the summit. And Cog Railway trains chug out of their station, heading down the mountain. I meet Cog owner Wayne Presby at their base station. He says his hotel could boost this rural economy and ease the strain on other overcrowded mountain facilities.

WAYNE PRESBY: I think we're one of the key pieces of the economy for Mount Washington and for tourism in general in the state of New Hampshire.

ROPEIK: Presby would need a special county permit to build his hotel in the alpine zone. But he thinks it'd be worth it. He says people who don't hike up the mountain want to enjoy that environment just as much as hikers do. And he thinks they'll respect it.

PRESBY: People like to visit mountain tops, and not all of them are capable of hiking...

more...

Is it a TRUMP hotel?

Back