Android Mobile App not loading Stories correctly.

Kalamain

Unapologetic Complimenter
Good Mornaftereve, folks!

I'm having a bit of an issue with the Android app, if anyone can help with that?

Every now and then the app will have a hiccup and fail to load in a story properly. I will sometimes get a partial, perhaps a quarter, or no text at all. If I check the website directly the stories are there and look fine. I also have no idea how to clear the cache or force it to reload the story that appears "broken".
The page count for the broken stories often appears as 1/0... If that helps?

https://i.imgur.com/Pn8qQzs.jpg

The two stories that are having an issue (that I can recall off the top of my head) are...

Private Eyes - StangStar06
Blunder - JimBob44

As a follow on from that... I tried submitting an error report via the app itself and it would not send it. It just keeps telling me that I need to be connected to the internet. I am, and if I flick back to the stories it will happing let me load up a new story, so it CAN see the internet.

It's the Android app, latest version although it has been an issue on other phones and app versions.

Erm... If this is not the right place for this then if someone could please point me right I'd appreciate it!

Thank you all for any help!

I have noticed similar problems in two other stories now

Anjalis Res Scarf Ch. 01[/rul], Lit-page 2, at the end of the sentence "AK: okay, Wednesday. Thank u for listening <3"

and [url=https://www.literotica.com/s/dancing-in-ethiopia?page=5]Dancing in Ethiopia
, Lit-page 5, at the end of the sentence "I play a game until I get her message back: 'chk drawr undr tv 1st pg pbook XXX & XXX B2W' followed by an icon of fish on a fishing rod, finalized by '<3'"

In those two cases, the Android stopped loading text right before the 'text' <3

In Private Eyes it stopped loading before, what seems to me, the coded text <i> # # # # # # # # # #</i>

Could it have something to do with conflicting HTML/CCS codes?

I have noticed similar problems in two other stories now

Anjalis Res Scarf Ch. 01[/rul], Lit-page 2, at the end of the sentence "AK: okay, Wednesday. Thank u for listening <3"

and [url=https://www.literotica.com/s/dancing-in-ethiopia?page=5]Dancing in Ethiopia
, Lit-page 5, at the end of the sentence "I play a game until I get her message back: 'chk drawr undr tv 1st pg pbook XXX & XXX B2W' followed by an icon of fish on a fishing rod, finalized by '<3'"

In those two cases, the Android stopped loading text right before the 'text' <3

In Private Eyes it stopped loading before, what seems to me, the coded text <i> # # # # # # # # # #</i>

Never attempted to us the Android app even if I mostly access LitErotica from a smartphone, but the full site works just fine for all my purposes.

'<3 ....' could be trivial IF said app is insane enough to try to interpret that as opening of an XML tag; all following text then becomes descriptor of such a tag until '>' is encountered. Then, should't all and any '<>' in the text itself had been sanitized into html entities anyway?

Why it spewed out '<i> # # # # # # # # # #</i>' and all that followed I don't have ready guess however.

The app need an update so much.
A few month ago, Manu told me here in board that they are working on a new version and say, I should if I want to try the beta.
I give an answer on the same day, but nothing!

@Manu or someone else from the team, PLEASE give us an answer about the issues and what happened with thw new app

Greetings
Celtic

Well... as for the <3, evidently the app can't take into account any type of textspeak and fumbles the ball.

As for Private Eyes, I believe the culprit is the long string of #'s and the html tag is incorrect at the entire first page in my browser is all italics. So it sees the first <i> but either the next tag which should be </i> is something completely different and the android app gets confused.

That app really needs to be updated so that it can under stand html codes that are allowed in stories. Just my opinion.

I just now read that on the app v.2.1 and it doesn't cut off.

Still happens from time to time. Even with a single story. Haven't found a reliable routine to reproduce this issue constantly.

The best workaround I found this far is to use the daymode/nightmode button on the right bottom corner.
After first switch the whole story is loaded. Then just switch back. The whole story should still be shown and readable till the end.

Yes. I've had html glitches cock up page breaks in particular, as well as other annoying but less dramatic format errors.

It's not a fault of the site, it's the fault of the story in question. The author may not even know their content has gone wrong, but they're the only one who can fix it (by resubmitting the story with corrected html). Try sending them a PM or feedback, drawing their attention to what's going on. It's up to the author to fix it, since the error will be in their content somewhere.

This is why I no longer use html at all. Using plain text avoids these problems completely.

Yes. I've had html glitches cock up page breaks in particular, as well as other annoying but less dramatic format errors.

It's not a fault of the site, it's the fault of the story in question. The author may not even know their content has gone wrong, but they're the only one who can fix it (by resubmitting the story with corrected html). Try sending them a PM or feedback, drawing their attention to what's going on. It's up to the author to fix it, since the error will be in their content somewhere.

This is why I no longer use html at all. Using plain text avoids these problems completely.

I don't consider it my fault, when I'm adding <3 as a text-message-symbol of a heart. It wasn't intended to be html-code, but to illustrate the use of a symbol, often used in text-messages.

I wouldn't call it a 'fault' of either the Literotica site of the author; in my opinion, it's a glitch of the software.

In my case, I haven't corrected my story, and I'm not intending to do so, but I do wonder if it affected my score; my story was my contribution to the "WINTER HOLIDAYS STORY CONTEST 2016". I don't think my score even came close to that of the winners, but in some cases it might make a difference.

If you do choose to edit it, or need to use the symbol in the future, replace the angle bracket with the ascii character code...

<

I don't know if it will display the character in the app, but it should stop any issues related to it mistaking the symbol for HTML. It will certainly display on the desktop site.

I don't consider it my fault, when I'm adding <3 as a text-message-symbol of a heart. It wasn't intended to be html-code, but to illustrate the use of a symbol, often used in text-messages.

I wouldn't call it a 'fault' of either the Literotica site of the author; in my opinion, it's a glitch of the software.

In my case, I haven't corrected my story, and I'm not intending to do so, but I do wonder if it affected my score; my story was my contribution to the "WINTER HOLIDAYS STORY CONTEST 2016". I don't think my score even came close to that of the winners, but in some cases it might make a difference.

That's where I went wrong, too, using < > to designate texts, without realising that I'd inadvertently set up html coding starts when I didn't want to.

Since html is precisely and accurately spelt out as to what it does (it's a de-facto industry standard, after all) any writer who comes along with text that accidentally triggers coding - how can that be the fault of the code? That's 100% on the writer, using code incorrectly. I cocked up the code, and in this instance, so did you - html code can't detect your intention to put in a heart symbol, just as it didn't know what I intended. The error was mine, plain and simple.

Back