"Because it's there."

182884.jpg

From UKClimbing.com for Chippy
:kiss:

jaw-droppingly gorgeous. didn't even notice the nutter for a while, as i was too busy eating up the forms and shades

another truly exceptional shot. inspirational. though i don't think i could ever summon a poem to do it anything like justice

another truly exceptional shot. inspirational. though i don't think i could ever summon a poem to do it anything like justice

I suppose you'd need a trip to see it with your own eyes to describe it with your own words.

I suppose you'd need a trip to see it with your own eyes to describe it with your own words.

perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

though it's never held me back before ;)
just as well my imagination isn't as restricted as my travelings!

but it IS why i'd not attempt something that needed the use of terms for equipment or specifics that'd root the piece firmly in climber territory. i'd always need the more oblique angle

Last edited:
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

though it's never held me back before ;)
just as well my imagination isn't as restricted as my travelings!

but it IS why i'd not attempt something that needed the use of terms for equipment or specifics that'd root the piece firmly in climber territory. i'd always need the more oblique angle

One has to get the feeling for a place. Photos seldom capture what all five senses pick up on.

Did we figure out where that trail is? It's a gorgeous setting.

Not I. It wasn't listed on the account I found it on.

One has to get the feeling for a place. Photos seldom capture what all five senses pick up on.

Not I. It wasn't listed on the account I found it on.

this is true, of course. listening to the words of others who have experienced it all goes some way towards filling the gaps. i can only ever combine those sources with my own brief foray into the snowy black mountains unless i ever go atraveling - which is unlikely unless it's from my computer chair and via the magic media. :eek:

Naked on Everest

Everest faces 'no nude mountaineering' rule
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

media_http1bpblogspotcom3y3MF4HXAMRsk9UnA7MeIAAAAAAAABO8SWJH61q34rYs400spencertunickswissjpg_tjCdHArCBBaaFHg.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Attention climbers: Please keep your clothes on while climbing Mount Everest.

Nepal's spoilsport mountaineering authorities are calling for a ban on nudity and attempts to set 'obscene records' on the world's highest mountain, officials said on Wednesday.

Last year, a Nepali climber claimed the world's highest display of nudity when he disrobed for several minutes while standing on the 8,850-meter (29,035-foot) summit in temperatures about minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit).

'There should be strict regulations to discourage such attempts by climbers,' said Ang Tshering, president of Nepal Mountaineering Association.

Other record-setting attempts that sparked controversy included a Dutch man who attempted to scale the peak wearing only shorts.

The people who live on the foot hill of Everest worship the mountain as a god and mountaineering authorities have asked the government to ban disrespectful stunts on Everest, Tshering said.

Mount Everest has always attracted record-setters, including the oldest climber (71 years old), the youngest climber (15 years old), the first climber with one foot and the first blind climber. In 2005, a Nepali couple exchanged vows on the summit as the first couple to get married on Everest.

Since Mount Everest was first scaled in 1953 by fully-clothed New Zealander Edmund Hillary and non-naked Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay, thousands of people have scaled the mountain. Most of them have not been nude.

Metro UK

One has to get the feeling for a place. Photos seldom capture what all five senses pick up on...

Nothing can capture it short of being there yourself.

Nothing ever proved that to me more than attempts to capture what it's like to be aboard a small sailboat on a downwind tradewind sleigh ride. Videos or photographs simply don't do it. There's 25 knots of wind whistling through the rigging and upon your cheek. 10-12 feet worth of good ol' ocean rollers imparts a rhythm that is just wonderful, perhaps akin to that of a nice downhill slalom run on skis or a canter 'cross a field on a horse. The colors are spectacular; the ocean is an indescribable deep translucent cobalt blue. The flying fish and the occasional herd of porpoise are simply icing on the cake. The towering and billowing white tropical clouds provide an incrdible contrast. When you make landfall, there's the verdant green of the lush hillsides and the unmistakable funky smell of land.

I've taken thousands of pictures and hours of video— all a complete waste. The view from the top of a mountain— same thing.

Nothing can capture it short of being there yourself.

Nothing ever proved that to me more than attempts to capture what it's like to be aboard a small sailboat on a downwind tradewind sleigh ride. Videos or photographs simply don't do it. There's 25 knots of wind whistling through the rigging and upon your cheek. 10-12 feet worth of good ol' ocean rollers imparts a rhythm that is just wonderful, perhaps akin to that of a nice downhill slalom run on skis or a canter 'cross a field on a horse. The colors are spectacular; the ocean is an indescribable deep translucent cobalt blue. The flying fish and the occasional herd of porpoise are simply icing on the cake. The towering and billowing white tropical clouds provide an incrdible contrast. When you make landfall, there's the verdant green of the lush hillsides and the unmistakable funky smell of land.

I've taken thousands of pictures and hours of video— all a complete waste. The view from the top of a mountain— same thing.

Pretty much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOmnco0AdQ

Back