We don't give a damn how they do it OUTSIDE.

20229204_1623881997624137_8033064976556163521_n.jpg
 
Not available inside.
Lake Onaping
24664473.jpg

Georgian Bay
2712907744_d718f83f91_z.jpg

Westminster Ponds
15546200845_8122c4c8fb_z.jpg
 

I made the mistake this evening of (briefly) watching a program aired on PBS called "Wild Alaska Live."

The on-line television schedule described it as follows:
Wild Alaska Live
PREMIERE
LIVE
S01, E01

Live footage of brown and black bears, salmon, orcas, walruses and other animals as they make their way through Alaska's summer heat.


I could only stand about fifteen minutes of the thing before I turned it off in disgust. It was produced by people I've never previously heard of (the Kratt Brothers are, apparently, well-known hucksters of wildlife-oriented films). The program was anything BUT "live;" it was clearly heavily scripted and orchestrated replete with purported fleets of helos filming bears which bears (and other wildlife) the announcer claimed were undisturbed by said helos). Imagine that.

In fact, I thought the whole production was a ginormous fraud on the public. As the entire segment I watched was highly promotional and clearly intended to whet the appetites of potential tourists, I suspect that Alaska residents would not be as offended by the unintentionally obvious scripting and the non-stop, breathless promotion. Tourist dollars are good for you.

At Katmai, the film crew set up (and showed footage of) their twenty tent "village" (completely surrounded by an electrified fence).



 
Last edited:
Denny

"the most depressing show on TV"

Why do people watch this drivel?

We watch it on cable. Usually the only other choices are re runs of tornado alley, 10 worst hurricanes, jewelry ads, clothing ads, Spanish crap we can't understand, or Storage Wars and Pawn Stars.
Sometimes reruns of reruns of American Pickers.
Plus a dozen commercials every ten minutes with repeats of half of whatever we were watching. Oh or Naked and Afraid blurred out body parts.

Tosh.0 if you like TV filthier than Lit comments.

Which usually leaves that Bush Brown family living the American dream.

By the way, until recently we lived near where black bears, wild horses, gators, and buffalo roamed and never was heard a discouraging word ya'll.
 
WilcoxExpedition19671.jpg


1967 on Denali.

7 of the 12 above lost their lives just a bit after this photo was taken.
 
*watching the midnight re-run*

Wild Alaska Live

"Watch live as thousands of animals gather to take part in Alaska’s amazing summer feast."

Three-Night LIVE Event Starts July 23 at 8pm ET/PT

See nature’s greatest drama LIVE as bears, wolves, whales & more converge for Alaska’s summer feast. Tune in or stream July 23, 26 & 30 @ 8 ET/PT
 
You've got two threads devoted to Alaskan beauty. Folk might start thinking your rubbing our southern flatland noses in the fact you live in a region of majestic beauty. Enough already, sheesh! :)

I only run one thread at a time. And, you're not forced to click.
 
Back
Top