When is the next official contest? Is this a good time for a proper FAWCing?

I was just thinking yesterday that a great assignment would be to write a story based on something musical--a song tune, for instance. The reader could look up the reference and check out how well the story was matched to it. Music to FAWC by(?) What does for you what "Bolaro" is understood by most everyone to do for a pair of lovers coupling?

The Earth Day contest doesn't start for another month, does it?

I was just thinking yesterday that a great assignment would be to write a story based on something musical--a song tune, for instance. The reader could look up the reference and check out how well the story was matched to it. Music to FAWC by(?) What does for you what "Bolaro" is understood by most everyone to do for a pair of lovers coupling?

The Earth Day contest doesn't start for another month, does it?

For some of us, that's soon. But, yes, it kicks off on the 22nd of March.

Works for me but I don't know about slyc. Has anyone sent him a message to ask?

Works for me but I don't know about slyc. Has anyone sent him a message to ask?

I sent him a message a while ago just checking to see how he's doing, but never heard back. I hope all is well with him!

For some of us, that's soon. But, yes, it kicks off on the 22nd of March.

If that's too soon, there really wouldn't be any opportunities for a more realistic contest in the year then. And it's been pretty well shown that there isn't much of an advantage to have your story post on the first day of a regular contest.

Yeesh, I posted the link :D

Okay, here's the rest of the year:

Earth Day (April 22)
themes: nature appreciation, outdoors, etc.
starts: March 28
closes: April 13
winners announced: April 20

National Nude Day (July 14)
themes: public nudity, exhibitionism, etc.
starts: June 20
closes: July 11
winners announced: July 18

Summer Lovin'
themes: warm weather, summer activities, bikinis, etc.
starts: August 21
closes: September 6
winners announced: September 13

Halloween
themes: scary stuff, costumes, Halloween traditions (trick-or-treating, etc.), etc.
starts: October 1
closes: October 22
winners announced: October 29

Winter Holidays
themes: winter holiday traditions (dreidels, gift giving, etc.), cold weather (snow), holiday mythology (Santa, elves), etc.
starts: November 10
closes: December 7
winners announced: December 14

Yeesh, I posted the link :D

Okay, here's the rest of the year:

Earth Day (April 22)
themes: nature appreciation, outdoors, etc.
starts: March 28
closes: April 13
winners announced: April 20

National Nude Day (July 14)
themes: public nudity, exhibitionism, etc.
starts: June 20
closes: July 11
winners announced: July 18

Summer Lovin'
themes: warm weather, summer activities, bikinis, etc.
starts: August 21
closes: September 6
winners announced: September 13

Halloween
themes: scary stuff, costumes, Halloween traditions (trick-or-treating, etc.), etc.
starts: October 1
closes: October 22
winners announced: October 29

Winter Holidays
themes: winter holiday traditions (dreidels, gift giving, etc.), cold weather (snow), holiday mythology (Santa, elves), etc.
starts: November 10
closes: December 7
winners announced: December 14

My bad.

I found this on the FAWC 3 thread from slyc:

As I've stated already, FAWC 4 will be placed after the Valentine's Day contest. I thought about slipping one in after December 14th, but, being the holiday season, I figure most of us will be busy with Christmas, Chanukah, and other endeavors. So, let's take a breather, enjoy the season, and be bright and shiny for another round of challenges in a couple of months.

Well ok then. But ... it would be good to get it started if people also want to enter the Earth Day contest. Hopefully we'll hear from Slyc soon!

It would probably be too late at this point to do FAWC 4, seeing as how Earth Day is coming up.

Sorry I haven't been around. Fate threw me a couple of curve balls a few months ago that more or less upstaged everything else going on in my life. I don't really want to go into any detail just yet . . . if ever.

Anyway, if there's enough interest for another FAWC at some point, I see no reason why we can't do it. ;)

Oh, and the matching a story to a song sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe do a lottery kind of thing where everyone gets a randomly-determined song (in a genre they like, of course; although, writing to a song outside your preferred music genre could be interesting as well).

It would probably be too late at this point to do FAWC 4, seeing as how Earth Day is coming up.

Sorry I haven't been around. Fate threw me a couple of curve balls a few months ago that more or less upstaged everything else going on in my life. I don't really want to go into any detail just yet . . . if ever.

Anyway, if there's enough interest for another FAWC at some point, I see no reason why we can't do it. ;)

Oh, and the matching a story to a song sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe do a lottery kind of thing where everyone gets a randomly-determined song (in a genre they like, of course; although, writing to a song outside your preferred music genre could be interesting as well).

:rose:

There's a gap between Earth Day and Nude Day that would give plenty time for a FAWC.

That, and some of us are doing the tag-team thing.

Sorry to hear that, slyc. I hope it all settles down.

I've written a few stories from songs. Be fun to do a FAWC like this.

One ready to play.

:D

That's one, then. ;)

I've written a few stories from songs. Be fun to do a FAWC like this.

I've just been looking through various websites about sexually-oriented songs (without being blatant about it). Most of them are classics, or close to it (from Madonna, George Michael, Exile, Marvin Gaye, Rod Stewart, etc.). The trick would be to find songs that provide just enough of a story for a writer to build on, I think.

Maybe randomizing the song used by a writer wouldn't be the best way to go. Maybe having a short list from which to pick would be better. It would be interesting to see more than one version based on the same song.

That's one, then. ;)

I've just been looking through various websites about sexually-oriented songs (without being blatant about it). Most of them are classics, or close to it (from Madonna, George Michael, Exile, Marvin Gaye, Rod Stewart, etc.). The trick would be to find songs that provide just enough of a story for a writer to build on, I think.

Maybe randomizing the song used by a writer wouldn't be the best way to go. Maybe having a short list from which to pick would be better. It would be interesting to see more than one version based on the same song.

Jake Rivers did that with his group. They wrote their story based on the song he chose. I participated several times, beginning with El Paso, which was back in 2007.

Tastes in music are so different that I'd prefer the authors were completely unfettered in their choice. I'll see what crops up.

Back