I miss the fitness threads and the fitness Doms!

I have asthma so I take my pump beforehand and I drink water at intervals. I'm still in my 20s (just) so I feel I should be able to do this. I've tried the workout a number of times now and I just don't feel like it's getting easier. I don't have the cash or time to join a gym so I want to persevere but perhaps somebody here can give some advice?

Since you have been dormant for a while it will hurt, and it will pass. This is how you do it, work out, wait for the pain to stop, then repeat. For most people it takes about 2 weeks for the body to get into workout mode.

I would also highly recommend pilates as a workout for you. Its low impact, and allows for relatively relaxed breathing yet still shoots up your heart rate. I did it for 2 weeks to try it out and I am very impressed. If you want tight curves pilaties is probably the best thing you can do.

Really can’t say enough about pilates. Try it out, it's hard, but good. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A040193F365BE7B0

And keep with it, always keep with it.

I don’t think I’ll get that intensely into it. Need energy for the rest of the day too. I try to focus my workout mostly on heath, as opposed to visual.

You and me both. I tried it once, though not Poliquin's version. It was NO FUN. And, yes, I did feel like crying at a couple of points. It SUCKS to have your T levels drop like that, even if the rebound was fun.

And I gave up on visual a long time ago. I lift for strength, and let the rest of it fall into place.

I am not overweight but I'm out of shape. I've gone from full time nursing working 14hr shifts on my feet to doing very little in the way of exercise. I bought a dance fitness workout that looked fun and I've been trying to do it but it's proving to be so hard.
<snip>
I've tried the workout a number of times now and I just don't feel like it's getting easier. I don't have the cash or time to join a gym so I want to persevere but perhaps somebody here can give some advice?

Velvet,

In addition to the rest and nutrition, it may help you to build your cardio base faster if you add light cardio between the dance work outs. Also, it might seem counterintuitive, but doing another heavy workout on the second day actually can relieve muscle soreness. Try a schedule like (day 1) dance workout, (day 2) 60 min brisk walking, (day 3) dance workout, (day 4) 60 min easy bike ride, (day 5) rest day, (day 6) 60 min med/heavy cardio, (day 7) rest day.

When you're just starting out, you want to be able to talk normally during all of your work outs. If you find that you can't, you're working too hard, so slow down. Actually, the speaking normally test works at just about any level. The important thing is not to be gasping unless you're pushing to 100% on purpose. Hope that helps.

Sounds like you're doing something right. While DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is not a sure sign of progress, it is commonly a good sign that you worked hard. Two days is a common time frame for soreness too.

That's reassuring. I am talking here though about crippling soreness that leaves me hobbling about like I'm 110 though. EVERYTHING ached from my head to my feet. I'm hoping it's healthy pain but I simply can't do very much at all the day after, which is disheartening.

Homburg said:
As to soreness, well, it is the price you pay for working hard. There are some things you can do to help. Chief among them is sufficient rest and sufficient food. As you are a vegan, I can't give you a damned bit of specific advice. My only strong advice is to make dead sure that you are getting adequate protein, and complete protein at that. There are a lot of otherwise useful vegetable protein sources that are missing various amino acids, and this makes them an incomplete protein. You may already know this. If so, my apologies.

I would also strongly suggest a PWO drink. I found that I could handle a more severe training load if I did that. I'm honestly unversed as to the absorption rates of the various vegetable protein powders, but you (theoretically) have access to soy, hemp, rice, and a few other vegetable protein powders, as well as soy milk and a few other vege-protein drinks. Add in some quick carbs waxy maize, maltodextrin, etc) and you can produce something akin to non-vegan PWO drinks.

Barring that, eat within an hour of training, and get a solid amount of protein when you do it. Nutrition is a massively important component to recovery, and recovery is what you are talking about here.

I think this is great advice and definitely a factor. I tend not to eat an hour before hand as it makes me feel heavy and sluggish so I can remedy that. In addition, my intake of 'complete protein' would also seem to be lacking. I never thought about making up my own PWO drink but I do chug nutmilk, oatmilk and soymilk at regular intervals.

Since you have been dormant for a while it will hurt, and it will pass. This is how you do it, work out, wait for the pain to stop, then repeat. For most people it takes about 2 weeks for the body to get into workout mode.

I would also highly recommend pilates as a workout for you. Its low impact, and allows for relatively relaxed breathing yet still shoots up your heart rate. I did it for 2 weeks to try it out and I am very impressed. If you want tight curves pilaties is probably the best thing you can do.

Really can’t say enough about pilates. Try it out, it's hard, but good. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A040193F365BE7B0

And keep with it, always keep with it.

I will look at pilates but don't really have the time or money for classes.

Velvet,

In addition to the rest and nutrition, it may help you to build your cardio base faster if you add light cardio between the dance work outs. Also, it might seem counterintuitive, but doing another heavy workout on the second day actually can relieve muscle soreness. Try a schedule like (day 1) dance workout, (day 2) 60 min brisk walking, (day 3) dance workout, (day 4) 60 min easy bike ride, (day 5) rest day, (day 6) 60 min med/heavy cardio, (day 7) rest day.

When you're just starting out, you want to be able to talk normally during all of your work outs. If you find that you can't, you're working too hard, so slow down. Actually, the speaking normally test works at just about any level. The important thing is not to be gasping unless you're pushing to 100% on purpose. Hope that helps.

That's great advice and something I have been doing to a degree. I don't drive so I walk a lot in my daily life. I've started putting more effort into walking; speeding up and pushing myself more. I can't sprint further than the end of a room but I can powerwalk for days. Master also has a rowing machine, which I've been using for short periods.

The speaking normally test is one I've heard of before. The problem I'm having is that because I'm asthmatic, as soon as I start doing anything strenuous, my lungs pack up. Breathing faster and harder causes irritation and inflammation that gets progressively worse. I've therefore been largely disregarding my ability to hold a conversation while leaping up and down. This should get better as I become more accustomed to exercise but at present it's a huge inconvenience.

Thanks all for the great advice. :rose:

I decided to start a totally new workout. Then plan is only compound exercises, and I started that today, although slowly. Only got about 5 workouts in, and did terrible on the bench. But I think something was in the air cause later on I hear this quiet little "help me", and when I turn around this 250+ pound guy was stuck.

So, not the best workout, but I did save that guys ass.

And I tried to pay attention for when the testosterone comes, but at this point I'm not sure if it was the hormone or adrenalin.

I will look at pilates but don't really have the time or money for classes.

While classes would be helpful at first, you don't really need them. If you are lucky you can have a friend show you. The hardest part is just to know how much time to spend on each exercise, how fast to do them, etc. But those videos I linked do a good job of showing how to do the poses.

Check out local yoga places and such, sometimes they have single session classes. You can probably find it on DVD too.

Anyway, I think pilates would be a much better fit for you. It's a real workout.

I decided to start a totally new workout. Then plan is only compound exercises, and I started that today, although slowly. Only got about 5 workouts in, and did terrible on the bench. But I think something was in the air cause later on I hear this quiet little "help me", and when I turn around this 250+ pound guy was stuck.

So, not the best workout, but I did save that guys ass.

And I tried to pay attention for when the testosterone comes, but at this point I'm not sure if it was the hormone or adrenalin.

I doubt you'll "feel" a testosterone rush so don't expect it be like a switch. Go into the gym focused. Correct mental state is 90% of the effort. If your mind isn't in it neither are your muscles.

Let your mind direct your body and the hormones do their stuff behind the scenes.

Also on the terminology side your workout is comprised of "sets" which are made up of "reps".

So you might do 10 squats or 10 "reps" of squats which make up 1 set. And you might then do 5 sets of squats. Then 5 sets of deadlifts, 5 set of cleans etc, etc. All of that is your "workout".

As for the dude who's ass you saved. He should have realized his limits and asked for someone to spot him.

I doubt you'll "feel" a testosterone rush so don't expect it be like a switch. Go into the gym focused. Correct mental state is 90% of the effort. If your mind isn't in it neither are your muscles.

Let your mind direct your body and the hormones do their stuff behind the scenes.

Also on the terminology side your workout is comprised of "sets" which are made up of "reps".

So you might do 10 squats or 10 "reps" of squats which make up 1 set. And you might then do 5 sets of squats. Then 5 sets of deadlifts, 5 set of cleans etc, etc. All of that is your "workout".

As for the dude who's ass you saved. He should have realized his limits and asked for someone to spot him.

mistakes happen

That's reassuring. I am talking here though about crippling soreness that leaves me hobbling about like I'm 110 though. EVERYTHING ached from my head to my feet. I'm hoping it's healthy pain but I simply can't do very much at all the day after, which is disheartening.

It usually gets better as your body adapts. Many people tend to find the DOMS to be a motivator in its' own masochistic way. You "know" that you did well because you're sore.

I think this is great advice and definitely a factor. I tend not to eat an hour before hand as it makes me feel heavy and sluggish so I can remedy that. In addition, my intake of 'complete protein' would also seem to be lacking. I never thought about making up my own PWO drink but I do chug nutmilk, oatmilk and soymilk at regular intervals.

Those are a good start, but I would suggest adding protein powder to them. From what I recall, soy milk has both the most protein per oz and the most complete protein of the three (going off memory here), but you can add soy (or hemp) powder to any of those and get a pretty good protein profile.

What you're looking for is 25-30g of protein and 40-50g of fast absorbing carbs. I did some poking around on the net and found that soy is acceptably fast-absorbing, though not as good as whey. Just be careful in buying your soy, as not all are created equal.

That's great advice and something I have been doing to a degree. I don't drive so I walk a lot in my daily life. I've started putting more effort into walking; speeding up and pushing myself more. I can't sprint further than the end of a room but I can powerwalk for days.

Honestly, this is partly because of your diet. Vegan diets can be very healthy, and are generally very clean, but they are not always conducive to athletic performance. And an awful lot of vegetarian and vegan diets are low in protein and certain aminos.

Unfortunately, vegetarian and vegan memes about meat having issues are basically correct. There really is no safe diet in this age of GMO foods, factory slaughterhouses, and criminally abused animals. (I personally see nothing morally or ethically wrong with the consumption of meat. I am, however, opposed to the cruelty and abuse suffered by animals on factory farms, and buy ethically-raised meat when we can as a result.) That said, a diet sans animal proteins can be tough to handle when you are asking actual performance from your system. One of the biggest areas compromised is recovery (though, amusingly, the hormones and such pumped into factory animals are toxic and detrimental to recovery and muscle growth as well, wheeeeee). So you have the onerous task of refiguring your protein intake to match your new performance needs.

My advice, simply put, is to put protein first. Organise your meals with an eye towards getting your protein in. Fortunately, soy is fairly complete. You can also get more complete amino profile by mixing rice with various red legumes (pinto beans, for example). Not only do beans and rice go well together, the rice has aminos in its' protein that beans lack, and vice-versa.

I would strongly suggest doing some research and trying to find a Vegan-friendly source of BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids). BCAA's are the most important aminos for muscle synthesis and recovery, and are really likely to be both low in your diet, and a big step in reducing DOMS. The tough part is going to be finding a BCAA supplement that is vegan-friendly. Most, from what I recall, come from milk proteins.

Most of the vegans and vegetarians I know are skinny-fat. This means that they look slender, but have no muscle mass to speak of. One of my best friends is married to a woman that has been a vegetarian her whole life (well, since she was four), and she is a perfect example. Prior to having kids, she was a slender girl, and looked like she was in shape, yet she had no strength whatsoever, and would get winded doing anything more than walking up a flight of stairs. It was all because of her extremely carb-rich, low fat, low protein diet. She flat could not exercise because she had zero stamina, and was sore for a week afterwards if she tried.

The ironic part is that she has a masters degree in biology. You'd think she'd be more aware of what her own system required for function and health. The really sad thing was that she did the cooking, so my friend was eating basically the same stuff she cooked. This is a former marine in formerly great shape that works out four days a week consistently with ZERO gains. I discussed protein with him one day, and let him try a protein shake. He gobbled it down and wanted another, and went out and bought four tubs of the stuff the next day, as he discovered that his body was starved for protein. A year later, and he's made huge gains, and looks fantastic. If anything, he's in better shape than he was in the marines ten years ago.

Protein is important.

I've known a lot of skinny-fat people...it's a damn shame, too. Some of them have been quite cruel about -my- weight (175 at 5'10), but I know I could outrun, outlift and outperform them in just about any sport or physically trying activity, so I brush it off as pure ignorance.

Skinny doesn't mean in shape, huh? *chuckle*

Edited to add: At my peak physical fitness, I could lift over half my body weight with one arm with no strain. I was very pleased about that.

*nod* Skinny-fat might be slender, but it is certainly not fit.

And, in my eyes at least, strength is a sexy thing in women. Not so much bulky powerlifter chicks sort of strength, but the physical strength to accomplish what you need to do and not be feeble. Sure, I like the big strong guy lift heavy thing like any other male, but I like the fact that both of my girls are physically capable. viv was a seriously competent and fast swimmer through college, and retained her strength, and MIS has spent years in dance, gymnastics, and hitting the gym. Both are strong and physically competent, and I like that.

Fun story, our youngest son is three years old, and is a little chunk of lead with legs. He almost outweighs his six year old brother, and Little Man is NOT fat. He's just solid. viv and the kids were at a playground with some friends and their kids, and he fell down and started crying. viv had her hands full with some other person's unruly child, so one of the other mothers went to pick Little Man up. She starts telling him it's okay, puts her hands on him and lifts. Nope, he's stapled to the ground. So she readjusts, gets a better grip, and pulls. Not a chance. viv frees herself up, trots over, and plucks him off the ground without even the slightest strain. Her friend was amazed and asked, "How do you DO that?!?"

Answer: viv is strong. The other mother was weak. and Little Man is HEAVY.

Ugh. The weight loss blues. How dear they are to me (Insert sarcasm here) I am pudgy about the middle and curvy in all the wrong places (my don't I sound a treat? Lol)

I lose weight easily, it's just a matter of getting out and doing something. Unfortunately, I live in a small town with no gym (the closest one is a 45 minute drive away) and an average temperature around here right now of -30

My house is to small to put a treadmill in, though I am giving a serious look at the attic at the moment, trying to figure out if my head will fit in the ridgeline while on a treadmill lol.

My livingroom is tiny, I can do situps there etc but anything more than a very mild aerobic/cardio/whatever workout makes the floor shake and I wonder if I am going to go through it or not lol.

When I first moved up here I wondered why the only skinny women were the school aged girls and I believe I have found my answer!

Good news however, is I have discovered being bent over in heeled boots bending and twisting while sorting bottles is really good for the thighs and ass (It must be 'cause damn do they hurt today!)

I also discovered, if i move bent over at the waist, I can do the stairs from the basement up, as long as I take my socks off so I don't slip on the narrow steps so hope isn't totally lost...

Gees I wish the weather would warm up a little, even to -10 or so, then I can get out and start running once more. In the meantime, I am trying to ignore the secretary spread!

I am determined to do something this year so that I like myself and my body better than I currently do. Even if I don't have a partner or a exercise Dom to report to.

My modest goals for this week is to drink less of anything else that isn't water and more water, and to begin some exercising and meditating on a regular basis. I need to form a routine and stick to it.

:rose:

Good luck and keep it up. Before you know it, it will be warm again,and I will be peeking up over the fence at yo u to watch you from afar.

C

Ugh. The weight loss blues. How dear they are to me (Insert sarcasm here) I am pudgy about the middle and curvy in all the wrong places (my don't I sound a treat? Lol)

I lose weight easily, it's just a matter of getting out and doing something. Unfortunately, I live in a small town with no gym (the closest one is a 45 minute drive away) and an average temperature around here right now of -30

My house is to small to put a treadmill in, though I am giving a serious look at the attic at the moment, trying to figure out if my head will fit in the ridgeline while on a treadmill lol.

My livingroom is tiny, I can do situps there etc but anything more than a very mild aerobic/cardio/whatever workout makes the floor shake and I wonder if I am going to go through it or not lol.

When I first moved up here I wondered why the only skinny women were the school aged girls and I believe I have found my answer!

Good news however, is I have discovered being bent over in heeled boots bending and twisting while sorting bottles is really good for the thighs and ass (It must be 'cause damn do they hurt today!)

I also discovered, if i move bent over at the waist, I can do the stairs from the basement up, as long as I take my socks off so I don't slip on the narrow steps so hope isn't totally lost...

Gees I wish the weather would warm up a little, even to -10 or so, then I can get out and start running once more. In the meantime, I am trying to ignore the secretary spread!

I have revised my diet to more or less phase two of South Beach, and very small mini meals. It's working! I've also amped up the exercise. I downloaded some new videos (no strippercize, alas, but a kick ass Crunch kickboxing cardio workout - not much on the kickboxing, but whatever), and walked further today. I think it makes sense to change either diet or exercise first, and then after a week or so, add in the other. Give your body a chance to adjust. In a couple of months, I should be where I want to be, and really that's not that long. I need to keep telling myself that. And then I can figure out maintenance, which has always been tough. But let's not think about that for now.

And then I can figure out maintenance, which has always been tough. But let's not think about that for now.

That's because you are dieting and don't have a diet.

Dieting is commonly the 10 week or whatever fad thing at the time. Atkins, South Beach, whatever.

A diet is a permanent lifestyle thing. It's what you eat, day to day to maintain your body weight and function at the level you desire. There is no need for going on one of these contrived eating disorder courses.

Half the problem with them is the yo-yo effect. People get fat/gain weight, go on a fad diet, loose weight, the temporary dietary change usually forces the body to store more fat, because most of these diets starve the body, so when normal (bad) eating resumes, people get fatter and so it starts all over again.

You need to find a dietary regime that you can stick to without resorting to extreme changes so your maintenance diet is a lifelong diet. If you have to suddenly resort to a "x" week course again, then you should look instead at modifying your normal diet to account for the change.

PM me if you want to discuss indepth.

You're gonna be a skinny bitch in no time honey! :D

Thank you, girly!

That's because you are dieting and don't have a diet.

Dieting is commonly the 10 week or whatever fad thing at the time. Atkins, South Beach, whatever.

A diet is a permanent lifestyle thing. It's what you eat, day to day to maintain your body weight and function at the level you desire. There is no need for going on one of these contrived eating disorder courses.

Half the problem with them is the yo-yo effect. People get fat/gain weight, go on a fad diet, loose weight, the temporary dietary change usually forces the body to store more fat, because most of these diets starve the body, so when normal (bad) eating resumes, people get fatter and so it starts all over again.

You need to find a dietary regime that you can stick to without resorting to extreme changes so your maintenance diet is a lifelong diet. If you have to suddenly resort to a "x" week course again, then you should look instead at modifying your normal diet to account for the change.

PM me if you want to discuss indepth.

I'm not on a fad diet. For simplicity's sake, I said I was more or less doing South Beach phase two, but I'm not following anything overly regimented. Phase 2 of South Beach is essentially lean proteins, complex carbs, lots of veggies, etc. It is just a healthy diet, but I'm watching things closely to kick start the weight loss. There's nothing insanely fad diet like about it. I'm not starving myself, or eating all bacon or something. I'm losing about a pound a week. Once I lose the weight, I will loosen up somewhat, but I'd like to think about it a bit. I'm someone who eats fairly well - I don't eat trans fats, no junk food, balanced diets, plenty of veggies, nutrients, etc. For me, it's just about eating too much and not keeping track, and allowing the little indulgences add up.

Anyway, thanks, but I'm good. I'm actually pretty good with health and diet issues.

Thank you, girly!

I'm not on a fad diet. For simplicity's sake, I said I was more or less doing South Beach phase two, but I'm not following anything overly regimented. Phase 2 of South Beach is essentially lean proteins, complex carbs, lots of veggies, etc. It is just a healthy diet, but I'm watching things closely to kick start the weight loss. There's nothing insanely fad diet like about it. I'm not starving myself, or eating all bacon or something. I'm losing about a pound a week. Once I lose the weight, I will loosen up somewhat, but I'd like to think about it a bit. I'm someone who eats fairly well - I don't eat trans fats, no junk food, balanced diets, plenty of veggies, nutrients, etc. For me, it's just about eating too much and not keeping track, and allowing the little indulgences add up.

Anyway, thanks, but I'm good. I'm actually pretty good with health and diet issues.

Sounds like you're on the right track and have identified the problem. Maintenance shouldn't be an issue if you stick to the above, which is what I do. I just hate labels for these things. I've been eating like this over 30 years, never had a name to it then!

I'm cooking a little 3# hunk of turkey breast. Wish it would hurry up. I'm hungry.

I've cooked every day for the past four or so days, a rare run for me. Sure, I'll prep food for myself, but I mean full-on cooking where I am doing it all for multiple people.

I hit the grocery store for supplies today, and was particularly pleased with my grocery bag after wards:

Fresh broccoli
Fresh zucchini
Fresh onion
Fresh green peppers
Fresh cabbage
Soy sauce
and sundry spices

I really like a grocery order like that. No junk. Well, okay, the soy sauce is semi-junkie, but fuck it. I like the taste and it is damned good to cook with.

This was added to some olive oil and more spices in the wok to produce a vegetable medley (zucchini and cabbage heavy), and essentially beef with broccoli. Good stuff.

At the end of the day, nothing helps my personal nutrition more than controlling what sort of foods are available to cook with. Oddly enough, you don't use crappy oil if you don't buy it, and you don't mindlessly eat Little Debbie snack cakes and Oreos if there aren't any in the house.

Sounds like you're on the right track and have identified the problem. Maintenance shouldn't be an issue if you stick to the above, which is what I do. I just hate labels for these things. I've been eating like this over 30 years, never had a name to it then!

I've eaten healthy for my entire life, but my metabolism has also changed. I used to be able to eat whatever I want within my healthy parameters, but I can't do that anymore. I have to pay closer attention. Also, for those of us who really like to cook, it limits you to have everything be whole grain, complex carb. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of healthy recipes out there. But sometimes I want to make risotto.

I've cooked every day for the past four or so days, a rare run for me. Sure, I'll prep food for myself, but I mean full-on cooking where I am doing it all for multiple people.

I hit the grocery store for supplies today, and was particularly pleased with my grocery bag after wards:

Fresh broccoli
Fresh zucchini
Fresh onion
Fresh green peppers
Fresh cabbage
Soy sauce
and sundry spices

I really like a grocery order like that. No junk. Well, okay, the soy sauce is semi-junkie, but fuck it. I like the taste and it is damned good to cook with.

This was added to some olive oil and more spices in the wok to produce a vegetable medley (zucchini and cabbage heavy), and essentially beef with broccoli. Good stuff.

At the end of the day, nothing helps my personal nutrition more than controlling what sort of foods are available to cook with. Oddly enough, you don't use crappy oil if you don't buy it, and you don't mindlessly eat Little Debbie snack cakes and Oreos if there aren't any in the house.

I've been thinking about doing a stir fry recently. Next shopping trip.

There are a lot of healthy snack options out there these days, especially compared to the stuff available when I was a kid (cardboard fruit-juice sweetened cookies).

I've eaten healthy for my entire life, but my metabolism has also changed. I used to be able to eat whatever I want within my healthy parameters, but I can't do that anymore. I have to pay closer attention. Also, for those of us who really like to cook, it limits you to have everything be whole grain, complex carb. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of healthy recipes out there. But sometimes I want to make risotto.

You and me both!

We seem to have a lot more in common in this respect than not.

Problem is when I start on the heavy weights, my appetite goes through the roof, so I really have to watch how much I eat then.

I've been thinking about doing a stir fry recently. Next shopping trip.

I almost always have the basics around for stir-fry. I bought soy sauce because I used the last of it a couple days ago.

My cooking repetoire is not that broad. I stir-fry pretty well, make a mean omelette, and can handle a few certain dishes. Other than that, nope. As the first two are th ehealthy options in my pallette, I stick to them.

There are a lot of healthy snack options out there these days, especially compared to the stuff available when I was a kid (cardboard fruit-juice sweetened cookies).

Are you talking about Frookies? I want to say those were the fruit-juice sweetened cookies my mom used to buy, and, yeah, cardboard, ugh.

What sort of healthy options are you referencing here?

I almost always have the basics around for stir-fry. I bought soy sauce because I used the last of it a couple days ago.

My cooking repetoire is not that broad. I stir-fry pretty well, make a mean omelette, and can handle a few certain dishes. Other than that, nope. As the first two are th ehealthy options in my pallette, I stick to them.

Are you talking about Frookies? I want to say those were the fruit-juice sweetened cookies my mom used to buy, and, yeah, cardboard, ugh.

What sort of healthy options are you referencing here?

OH. MY. GOD. FROOKIES! Yeah, I think my dad bought those! LOL. GROSS. Do you guys have a TJ's around you? Or dare I say it, whole paycheck? I do not enter whole paycheck anymore, but if you are very careful, their generic line is pretty good.

Let me back up. I was thinking more of snacks for the kiddies. Trader Joe's is seriously the bomb for that. They have good chips, healthy crackers, and cookies that are decent on sugar levels. I can't eat any of this of course, and it is empty calories, but mine is at an age where he can eat that, and eat all of his meals, and lord knows where it goes. Oh, you know what else he eats is trail mix. Not bad at all for a little growing one. I have to be careful about those. Some of them have candy. Anyway, sorry, I'm a little brain dead right now, but I'm trying to say that, while lower sugar cookies, or cookies without trans fats even, are not a replacement for a meal, I at least have the option of buying that for my kid, and my parents gave me the frookies! It's nice to be able to give kids that over say oreos.

Have you tried fritattas? They are fancy omelettes, essentially, but yum! I have been doing a lot of eggs recently. Eggs cooked in a smidge of olive oil with turkey bacon. Woot! Anyway, fritatas are nice because you end up baking them into a solid egg thingamajig that you can then cut into wedges. It's fahbulous, dahling.

Back