My Zombie Shelter (open to everyone)

OOC: x3

I'm still in the process of moving and hate writing posts on my phone so I'll be here checking on things but until life settles down I won't be writing anything of great length.
 
OOC: I'm going to finish reading the entire thread before I join in. I'll hopefully finish it tonight or tomorrow. I'm about half way through now
 
OOC: x3

I'm still in the process of moving and hate writing posts on my phone so I'll be here checking on things but until life settles down I won't be writing anything of great length.

OOC: also in the process of moving so my posts will be sporadic.
 
OOC: In that case, MY posts are going to be long and flowing literary masterpieces that paint vivid mental pictures of heartbreak, sorrow, friendship and a command of the English language unrivaled by any of the posts previously offered in this thread.

Actually they will still be filled with innuendo, sarcasm, and venomous animosity toward those outside my character's circle of trust...just like they always have. Good luck on your respective moves, hope we get together soon.
 
OOC: In that case, MY posts are going to be long and flowing literary masterpieces that paint vivid mental pictures of heartbreak, sorrow, friendship and a command of the English language unrivaled by any of the posts previously offered in this thread.

Good one! :p
 
I heard the all too familiar rattle of the Continental diesel rumble up in front of the garage door. I remembered my old boss, back when there were such things, had owned a M35A2 or deuce and a half as they were more commonly known; and I had heard that sound a million times. Me and the other guys in the shop had always teased him about how the pistons sounded like they were swapping holes. However, underneath all of that was a deep respect for these vehicles. They had transported men and cargo all over the world, and in every terrain. They weren't overburdened with power, but they were fairly reliable and most of them had a multi-fuel setup that allowed them to be run on anything from kerosene to moonshine. Whoever it was that was pulling up, had better be prepared to take on passengers or walk, because one way or another that truck was going to be mine.

My hand automatically went to my the Kimber, and though the doc had said it was Mike, we hadn't exactly crossed over into the trusting phase of our relationship just yet; so I kept my eyes trained on her.

"Mike! Max! Is that you?" I shouted, hoping that I could get some sort of confirmation.

The thought of being around someone that I knew, even for as little time as I had, made me feel better and more at ease. It had been a shitty few days, and honestly I was getting tired from all of the fighting. I just wanted to be able to rest, and know that someone had my six while I did.
 
((OOC: Hi everyone. I'm new here and I was wondering if it would be alright if I joined this thread.))
 
At the rate we are writing, I would just create a character and jump in. You could dedicate the first few posts just to background. Give us a chance to learn about you and let things play out so that we could meet naturally. Otherwise it might be months before we get back there if we make it at all. Just a thought.
 
If there's one thing I hate, it's zombies. Why can't they have the decency to stay dead like normal folks? It seems like no matter how many of them I kill, there are always five more nearby.

These were the thoughts running through my mind as I scanned my surroundings from the branch of a tall tree. I had been looking for any wild game in the area, but so far I had come up empty handed. Food was becoming harder to find, meaning I'd have to return to civilization to barter for something.

That was something I hadn't done in nearly a decade; not since the tribe exiled me. I was reluctant to do so but I would starve otherwise. Realizing that there wasn't another option, I gathered my few belongings and slipped them into the pockets I had sewn onto the animal pelts I wore.

The only modern outfit I owned had long since fallen apart, forcing me to make garments out of animal skins. My black hair had reached my back long ago and had developed a coarse, fur-like texture to it. Strung across my back was a wooden bow and a quiver of primative arrows, as well as a slightly rusted machete. On my left hip was my stone hatchet and a blowgun while a dart bag and hunting knife hung from my right. Strapped to both legs were countless throwing knives held in place by leather straps. On each hand was a leather glove with sharpened bear claws attached to the fingers using braided strips of leather and sinew. I made them to assist in climbing and hunting. It had taken weeks to gather enough material to make them so I was quite meticulous about their upkeep. I also wore a pair of thin leather shoes with claws attached to help me climb like a squirrel. An extremely large, heavily armed, very deadly squirrel. All of my equipment was attached by leather straps in such a way that they didn't make any noise.

I began moving deeper into the woods in search of food. I had only traveled for a few minutes when I heard a rustling beneath me. Drawing my bow, I aimed at the sound's source. After a couple of seconds, a zombie made its way out of the brush. I waited a few seconds to see if there were more of them nearby. When I didn't see or hear more of them, I released the tension on my bowstring. There was no point in wasting arrows on a single zombie. I flexed my fingers and moved across the branches until I was directly above it. Taking a deep breath, I leapt from the branch onto the zombie's back. The impact sent it sprawling with me pinning it down. I drew my hand back and plunged my clawed fingers into the base of its skull, severing its spinal cord and paralyzing it. I pulled my hand free and wiped my claws clean on the zombie's ragged clothes.

I searched its body and found a few useful things. There was an old lighter and a knife in the pockets, and a belted holster containing a Ruger SR22 with a full magazine. The poor man must have been attacked before he could use it. Even though I had no use for guns, given their noise level and limited ammo supply, I took the Ruger with me to use to barter for some food and supplies. I clipped the knife to my hip and put the lighter in my pocket. I put the belted holster around my waist and slid the pistol inside it. After making sure I hadn't missed anything, I made my way back up the tree and onto a sturdy branch.

That's when I heard the noise. It was the low, guttural moan of zombies and based on how loud it was, there were a lot of them nearby. I looked behind me and saw about twelve of them making their way through the underbrush. They were traveling in the same direction, which meant they were after something. I turned around and darted off towards whatever they were after. I travelled as fast as I dared go, not wanting to overshoot a branch and plummet to the ground.

I had been traveling for about ten minutes when I reached the treeline. Beyond it, I saw a four way intersection and a large tank-like vehicle going through it. Based on the racket it was making, the vehicle was probably what the zombies were chasing. Keeping out of sight, I did my best to follow the truck but I lost sight of it after a couple minutes. Since I couldn't go back the way I came, I decided to follow the road the truck went down and see what I could find.

It took me about fifteen minutes but I finally reached the truck's destination. It was a decent sized building with a horse stable nearby. I approached it cautiously with my bow drawn in case there were any zombies around.

((OOC: This concludes my first post. Hopefully my integration into the story goes smoothly after this.))
 
Last edited:
Again, we don't keep track, we just take turns. It could be 2 days, 2 weeks, or 3 months until the next post.
 
"Mike! Max! Is that you?" I shouted, hoping that I could get some sort of confirmation.

"No, motherfucker," I shouted back to my friend, "it's Santa Claus! Come see what's for Christmas!"

Max had already made his way towards the house door, sidelining real quick to water a bush near the driveway. He made a few circles around outside the doorway, barked a couple of times, then bounded back to me.

I walked around to the back of the deuce and dropped the tail gate. I stood there and opened my arms to the inside of the back of the truck. "I wasn't kidding," I said. "Christmas time!"

I waited on Randy and Mallory to come outside.

I had missed Randy. He and I had certainly bonded in the last few days.

I had missed Mal, too. Wait. I had only been away from her for a few hours.

Missed her?

Yeah, okay, I missed her. And?
 
I had a hard time for a minute. Behind me, my home that I had vehemently protected these long months alone and in front of me this man that had somehow gotten under my skin.

My body warred against my mind. Let go of the door, go to his side? Or don't? I shifted weight from one foot to the other. I felt very vulnerable standing there with the backside of the barn open and I did not like it.

I smiled at his apparent glee over the find. It was incredible something like that had survived so long without being looted or blown up. Things were awfully rough around here for awhile.

My arm ached. Oh what the hell. No one was around anyway. These two and the crazy girl locked up in the house were the only humans I had seen in ages. I let go of the door and it rested in the up position on the track. I could still reach it quickly if need be.

I joined him behind the military vehicle, I certainly had no idea what to call it. Max rubbed his head against my thigh and I let my hand trail down his furry neck and shoulder, what a goober. He settled himself between us, which was fine with me. Any closer and I wasn't sure what to do. Hug him in greeting? Kiss him? Definitely not in front of Randy. My mind raced.

"Where did you find it?"
 
Back
Top