Marijuana Majority: Americans Now Back Legalization

The plant is a wonder in all its aspects, especially if taken all together at once. It is unfortunate that Harry S. Anslinger, the first drug czar appointed by FDR, was a teetotaler and began the onslaught against marijuana in the 30s.

Quoted from Wiki;

Anslinger received, as head of The Federal Bureau of Narcotics, an alarming increase of reports about smoking of marijuana in 1936 that continued to spread at an accelerated pace in 1937. Before, smoking of marijuana had been relatively slight and confined to the Southwest, particularly along the Mexican border. The bureau launched two important steps. First, the Bureau prepared a legislative plan to seek from Congress a new law that would place marijuana and its distribution directly under federal control. Second, Anslinger ran a campaign against marijuana on radio and at major forums.

Some of his critics allege that Anslinger and the campaign against marijuana had a hidden agenda, DuPont petrochemical interests and William Randolph Hearst together created the highly sensational anti-marijuana campaign to eliminate hemp as an industrial competitor. Indeed, Anslinger did not himself consider marijuana a serious threat to American society until in the fourth year of his tenure (1934), at which point an anti-marijuana campaign, aimed at alarming the public, became his primary focus as part of the government's broader push to outlaw all recreational drugs. Members of the League of Nations had already implemented restrictions for marijuana in the beginning of the 1930s and restrictions started in many states in the U.S years, before Anslinger was appointed. Both president Franklin D. Roosevelt and his attorney general publicly supported this development in 1935.


And we are still suffering from the effects of these guys' greedy politicking.
 

According to a Gallup poll released today, for the first time, the majority of Americans (58%) say that marijuana should be legalized.

The first time Gallup asked this question, in 1969, only 12% favored legalization.

Support for legalization has been rising incrementally since then, reaching 28% in the 1980s and 50% in 2011. Gallup believes that the increased support for marijuana legalization is a result of initiatives in Colorado and Washington this past year.

58%?

Perhaps a referendum is in order?:)
 
Onward and Upward... all the way to complete freedom to grow, smoke, and ingest our personal pursuit of happiness!
 
Well maybe not?


Law enforcement is now pointing to the environmental harms caused by illegal pot farms to justify the ongoing Drug War. But they've got it backwards.


The photo looks like something out of a horror film. A long, thin animal lays dissected on a white table. Metal tools pull the animal's skin back to reveal its jellied, maroon-colored insides — all soupy, slick, and lumpy. It's the remains of a Pacific Fisher, an eight-pound member of the weasel family that's now hovering near extinction, thanks in part to illegal pot farming in the vast forests of California.

Fishers eat forest mice, and forest mice nibble the green stalks of still-maturing cannabis plants. So illicit growers who toil deep inside California's forests spread powerful rodenticides — rat poison — on the ground near their marijuana crops. The mice eat the poisonous anti-coagulants, get sick, and then the fishers eat the mice. Soon after, the furry forest weasels are melting from the inside out.

Two-thirds of the pot consumed in the United States comes from Mexico, while about one-fifth of it is grown domestically, according to Rand estimates. California produces more weed than any other state, and according to a 2010 Central Valley High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area program report, may account for as much as 79 percent of all domestically grown marijuana. And the epicenter of domestic cannabis cultivation are Humboldt, Mendocino, Lake, and Trinity counties in Northern California.

The federal Drug War also has had a huge impact on these Northern California counties, said Corva, a Sarah Lawrence College professor who spent several years in Humboldt doing an ethnographic history of pot-growing, and now also runs a cannabis cultivation think tank in Seattle. Big swaths of Northern California were ravaged and abandoned by logging in the 19th and 20th centuries, and then some of those areas were re-settled by back-to-the-land hippies in the 1970s, Corva noted. Many liberal activists had dropped out of society after the upheavals of the 1960s, and for them, dope was just another plant in the garden.

"They're Killing Woosels! OMG!":eek:
 
Canadian weed finds export market in Asia


HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — For the young Vietnamese dope smokers rolling up outside a smart Hanoi cafe, local cannabis is just not good enough. As with their Adidas caps, IPhones and Sanskrit tattoos, so with their choice of bud: Only foreign will do.

Potent marijuana grown indoors in Canada and the United States is easy to buy in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, say regular smokers, and it sells for up to 10 times the price of locally grown weed. That's perhaps surprising given that marijuana is easy to cultivate regionally, and bringing drugs across continents is expensive and risky.

Some experts say the trade can be explained by the dominant role Vietnamese diaspora gangs play in cultivating the drug in Western countries, making sourcing the product and smuggling it to Vietnam an easier proposition than it might be otherwise.

BC Bud in Hanoi? Would be tough to grow top quality bud in open polination, so buying BC Hydro is a treat.
 
I never know the difference. I had a man ask me what I preferred, alcapulco gold, purple haze, white willow...

I just laughed and told him..

"I honestly never asked her what it was"
 
For the record, it is white widow, my personal all-around favorite.

Once those television programs on the Emerald Triangle made it around the globe, everyone wants to find out what the hub-bub is all about, especially with Amsterdam wanting out of that market and Washington and Colorado wanting in.
 

The more research that is done, the more we find out what Anslinger cost us.

Cannabidiol (CBD), a nonpsychoactive component of the cannabis plant, is generating quite a buzz among medical scientists and health professionals. Nothing else is able to help treatment-resistant epileptic children with Dravet syndrome and related disorders. On August 11, 2013, Dr. Sanjay Gupta’s nationally televised report on CNN discussed the astonishing transformation of Charlotte Figi, a 7-year-old epileptic who had 300 “tonic-clonic” seizures a week until she ingested a CBD-infused tincture. She has been nearly seizure-free since her parents began giving her a daily dose of CBD. Nor is Charlotte an isolated case: dozens of families with children suffering from intractable epilepsy are reporting dramatic results with cannabidiol.
 
I still find it hilarious that a country that has a full bore anti smoking tobacco campaign is considering legalizing pot.

lets face it, no one cares about medicinal purposes this is being pushed and will be embraced by potheads.

Think about taking your kids to the playground and they get to smell the pot coming from the two guys sitting on the bench.

Every hallway in every apartment complex condo building etc absolutely reeking of this shit.

And cancer, emphysema and copd? yeah cause only tobacco damages your lungs:rolleyes:

Another prime example of this country becoming a laughing stock.

Catering to a bunch of losers who can't get through a day without being high.

I have never or will ever smoke it and I cannot wait to slap the joint out of the mouth of the first asshole who sits next to me somewhere and lights it up

Great move for obama though maybe through altered perceptions he will look like a decent president
 
To each their own LC. I use it medicinally and there's nothing like it to help with the pain.
In contradiction to your statement, marijuana does NOT cause cancer and doesn't harm your lungs. Why give it to cancer patients if it did?

Asthmatics benefit from using it, so it doesn't cause COPD's, so that needs correcting as well.

I understand conceived notions of how bad it is, but facts speak for themselves regarding the herb and its properties. I guess you have to be a user to understand, but there's not a single pill on the market that can do what marijuana can do.

I'd rather see people smoking pot, than getting drunk, or high on coke/crack, or dropping Ecstasy or any other pill. Maybe we should be huffing model glue?

As for slap a joint out of my mouth, well, you know that's going to cause some problems. That's just asking for trouble. ;)

I would suggest knowing more about something, before making statements about it. You show your ignorance clearly, that you know nothing about it.
 
Every hallway in every apartment complex condo building etc absolutely reeking of this shit.

And cancer, emphysema and copd? yeah cause only tobacco damages your lungs:rolleyes:

Another prime example of this country becoming a laughing stock.

The only point I think you have, is about the stink. I never enjoyed the smell. But since we are on such a push to limit tobacco smoking, I bet that if it becomes legal (completely legal, not just for medicinal purposes or limited to smoke shops) it will probably be confined to smoking in private homes.

Inhaling any kind of smoke (woodsmoke, tobacco smoke, cigarette smoke, shisha, etc.) is bad for you. I'm not going to pretend that marijuana is some magical kind of smoke that wont make you cough or kill the cilia in your bronchioles.

But... Let's say for a moment that marijuana smoke was as poisonous as cigarette smoke (and it's not, not even close) most marijuana smokers do not smoke nearly as much as a chain smoker, or even a social smoker. If a bunch of friends go out to a bar, they might go through a pack each if they are social smokers. If a bunch of friends decide to hang out and get high, they might go through a couple of joints throughout the entire group.

And if anything, America is a laughing stock because we just shut down our government, are throwing a fit over healthcare that cost a fraction of the shutdown, are severely limiting our (already flawed) food stamps program.
 
I never know the difference. I had a man ask me what I preferred, alcapulco gold, purple haze, white willow...

I just laughed and told him..

"I honestly never asked her what it was"

I call those people 'Pot Snobs'

Also:: A+ For Mexico (&Huffington)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/mexico-city-legalize-marijuana_n_4101475.html
+this biased article::
http://www.policymic.com/articles/68789/marijuana-legalization-in-mexico-city-is-the-first-step

I was under the impression that it had already gone through the motions, but it appears asif it's still only tentative.
 
Last edited:
I call those people 'Pot Snobs'

Also:: A+ For Mexico (&Huffington)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/mexico-city-legalize-marijuana_n_4101475.html
+this bias'd one::
http://www.policymic.com/articles/68789/marijuana-legalization-in-mexico-city-is-the-first-step

I was under the impression that it had already gone throuh the motions, but it appears asif it's still only tentative.

I havent smoked anything for 15 years and no weed for 25+. I guarantee I can still roll one up and if they legalize it where I live, its on and Im gettin off.
 
I havent smoked anything for 15 years and no weed for 25+. I guarantee I can still roll one up and if they legalize it where I live, its on and Im gettin off.

I could under the NJ plan, the problem is that I have an intense distrust of doctors...
 
I still find it hilarious that a country that has a full bore anti smoking tobacco campaign is considering legalizing pot.

lets face it, no one cares about medicinal purposes this is being pushed and will be embraced by potheads.

Think about taking your kids to the playground and they get to smell the pot coming from the two guys sitting on the bench.

Every hallway in every apartment complex condo building etc absolutely reeking of this shit.

And cancer, emphysema and copd? yeah cause only tobacco damages your lungs:rolleyes:

Another prime example of this country becoming a laughing stock.

Catering to a bunch of losers who can't get through a day without being high.

I have never or will ever smoke it and I cannot wait to slap the joint out of the mouth of the first asshole who sits next to me somewhere and lights it up

Great move for obama though maybe through altered perceptions he will look like a decent president

I did it all 40 years ago.
What I discovered was I have weird reactions to things most people use.
Multivitamins paralyze me...so I gotta avoid them.
Alcohol puts me to sleep.
Morphine makes me indifferent to pain but does shit to my mood.
Pot does nuthin so far as I can tell.
I smoked for 30 years and quit 13 years ago without any trouble or programs.
 

A recent study suggests over-the-counter medication could set aside one of the biggest obstacles to using marijuana to treat a variety of ailments and conditions.

The study, published Thursday in the journal Cell, showed that using non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as the painkiller ibuprofen could prevent memory problems and other brain abnormalities associated with frequent marijuana use.

The study also found evidence to suggest the drug could be used to treat Alzheimer’s patients.

Handy hint in the news for our seniors.:D
 

The Magic Words

What are the magic words, you ask? The first magic words can set you free. Simply ask,

“AM I FREE TO GO?”

If they reply that you are free to go, then you are free to go. You may have to wait for the officer to finish the citation, but yes, you are free to go. If you are not free to go, then you must use the other magic words,

“I DO NOT CONSENT TO ANY SEARCHES,”

“I WANT TO REMAIN SILENT,”

“I WANT A LAWYER.”

You must use all of the magic words and use them in this order.

Words to live by. :D
 
I still find it hilarious that a country that has a full bore anti smoking tobacco campaign is considering legalizing pot.

lets face it, no one cares about medicinal purposes this is being pushed and will be embraced by potheads.

Think about taking your kids to the playground and they get to smell the pot coming from the two guys sitting on the bench.

Every hallway in every apartment complex condo building etc absolutely reeking of this shit.

And cancer, emphysema and copd? yeah cause only tobacco damages your lungs:rolleyes:

Another prime example of this country becoming a laughing stock.

Catering to a bunch of losers who can't get through a day without being high.

I have never or will ever smoke it and I cannot wait to slap the joint out of the mouth of the first asshole who sits next to me somewhere and lights it up

Great move for obama though maybe through altered perceptions he will look like a decent president

Valid----^

There is more tar in an joint than in a pack of cigarettes. Plus, legally stupid stoners...
ugh

/me facepalms
 
I think the market it would affect most is alcohol and nightclubs where redbull and vodka keep you going.

Give a guy a joint in the corner and he isn't up for spending a lot more money unless you charge $50 for a bag of Doritos. Ahh, movie theaters.

As for smelling weed in the park, I grew up with that as well in a small crappy town. It wasn't the weed that was bad, it was the poverty and broken swings.
 
Lol @ pot cures cancer.

ASIN: Tumor shrinking effects.

Maybe chemo therapy doesn't do anything and it's all the pot.
 

Matt Taibbi has a few words to say about it.

20140103-david-x600-1388774818.jpg

Brooks, predictably, made legalization, like pretty much everything else he writes about, a sign of America's ongoing moral collapse. He also admitted to smoking pot in his youth, and although this is hard to imagine, he even claimed he had fun doing it. Here's the "Before" part of his column:

For a little while in my teenage years, my friends and I smoked marijuana. It was fun. I have some fond memories of us all being silly together. I think those moments of uninhibited frolic deepened our friendships.

And here's the "after." Note the unironic use of the hilariously pretentious term "moral ecology":

In legalizing weed, citizens of Colorado are, indeed, enhancing individual freedom. But they are also nurturing a moral ecology in which it is a bit harder to be the sort of person most of us want to be.

I think all of us who have smoked marijuana will admit that it's a drug that doesn't bring out one's inner Einstein.
:D

"uninhibited frolic ..." Ha Ha LOL :D
 
Last edited:
'The Choom Gang': 9 juiciest details from Barack Obama's days as a pothead
president-obama-a-known-laugher-was-allegedly-a-bit-of-a-pothead-in-his-high-school-days.jpg

History. :D

The "audacity of dope"? In his memoir Dreams From My Father, Barack Obama admits having smoked marijuana during high school, but newly released excerpts from David Maraniss' upcoming biography Barack Obama: The Story paint a picture of a truly committed pothead.The "giggle-worthy" details — many attributed to Obama's high school buddies collectively known as "the Choom Gang," after the slang term for smoking marijuana — are "right out of a buddy stoner flick," says Adam Sorensen at TIME. Here, the most scandalous allegations:

1. The Choom Gang
While in high school at the Punahou School in Honolulu, Obama began associating with a group of boys who "loved basketball and good times," says Maraniss. The group — "decent students and athletes who went on to become successful and productive lawyers, writers, and businessmen" — dubbed itself the Choom Gang. A favorite hangout was a lush hideaway called Pumping Stations, where they parked their cars, turned up Blue Oyster Cult on their stereos, "lit up some 'sweet-sticky Hawaiian buds,' and washed it down with 'green bottle beer.'" Once stoned, Maraniss alleges, the gang was often seen slipping past the "keep out" signs at the gorgeous Manoa Stream and standing under a rock where water rushed overhead.

1970's Hawaiian Bud!

Exciting times those were.:)
 
Last edited:
Obviously, I was out of town for quite a while and missed a significant part of this thread. Very interesting comments, overall. The naysayers will always do their part in dampening the truth of any subject. But, let us not despair, the majority will have their way on this subject in the end, and I so glad for it. It's been a long time coming...
 
Back
Top