What are you reading at the moment?

Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl by Tracy Quan

With one foot in the bedrooms of her rich and demanding clients and one in the straight world of her unwitting fiance, who has started to apartment-hunt and arrange a wedding, Nancy keeps her two worlds from colliding in her inimitable style.

Part of a trilogy that'd drive Loving Wives trolls insane. :D - the first one is a bit light and trite. Has some funny moments, there's no hot sex so it's a sort of teaser of a novel. Not that impressed with it myself, it's interesting bit not gripping and unputdownable. I wouldn't really recommend it but it's not bad either.

Amazon reviewer comment on the third one - "Just as bad If not worst than the other ones.Scary! Someone, take this woman's pen away-permanently" love it.
 
Last edited:



"...[Nathaniel] Greene was a most unlikely soldier. A Quaker pacifist by birth, he suffered from asthma and had walked with a limp since childhood. He developed an early love of reading and often tended the family forge in Potowomut, Rhode Island, with a book in hand. Painfully aware of his lack of formal education, he cultivated younger and better educated friends who could contribute to his ongoing program of self-improvement. By the time of the Boston Tea Party, Greene was no longer a practicing Quaker and felt free to assume a leadership role in organizing his community's militia company. However, when the company voted to select its officers, Greene was overlooked. The reason: his physical disability detracted from the impression his company made when performing military exercises...."


-Nathaniel Philbrick
In The Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory At Yorktown
New York, New York 2018.




Very few people are aware that it was the French Navy's defeat of the British Navy at The Battle of The Capes that enabled the combined American and French armies to capture Cornwallis' army at Yorktown. Even fewer know of the March, 1781 French naval attack on Mariot Arthbuthnot's British Navy squadron during The Battle of Cape Henry in their attempt to capture Benedict Arnold (commanding British forces at Portsmouth, Virginia). That unsuccessful French naval foray turned out to be a forerunner of French admiral DeGrasse's later success defeating the British Navy at the Battle of The Capes.

In what appears to be a stab in the direction of political correctness, in the epilogue, Philbrick asserts that the slave-owning Washington wouldn't have committed to fighting for his native state of Virginia in the Civil War as did his step-great-grandson-in-law R. E. Lee. Washington, of course, was not faced with a decision of whether to attack his native state, family and neighbors. Washington did, in fact, manumit his slaves on his death by operation of his will.

Philbrick rarely disappoints though I will say this is probably the least enlightening of the long series of books he has written about American history. I did benefit from his thorough description of the Cornwallis' chase of Greene and Morgan through the Carolinas along with the discussion of King's Mountain, Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse.

I wonder where Philbrick's interests and curiosity will take him (and me) next? He's done the Pilgrims/Metacomet/New England. He's done the Essex/Moby Dick. He's done Maury and the Ex/Ex. He's done Lexington/Concord/Bunker Hill. He's done the Battles of Saratoga/Benedict Arnold. He's done Custer and The Little Bighorn.




 



"...The newfound respectability was especially marked in his comments about the 'demoralizing' and 'lascivious hula,' the 'dance that was wont to set the passions of men ablaze in the old heathen days.' Sam compared it in his journal to 'copulation in public.' His friend Sam Damon was one of the missionaries who had petitioned the Hawaii government in 1858 to ban the dance. It was afterward 'forbidden to be performed, save at night,' privately behind closed doors, in the presence 'of few spectators, and only by permission duly procured from the authorities; upon payment of ten dollars for a license..."


-Gary Scharnhorst
The Life of Mark Twain: The Early Years 1835-1871
Columbia, Missouri 2018.




Thorough and exhaustive don't begin to describe this magnificent work by Scharnhorst. If you're interested in Twain, this is must reading.

This is not the usual hagiography. This is not the sanitized Samuel Clemens you're used to— a carefully managed image consciously created only after his marriage to a rich and respectable younger wife. This is Samuel Clemens with all the warts. He may have given his wife syphilis. He certainly was a plagiarist.



 
Last edited:
As this thread popped up just happened to have finished Amped by Daniel Wilson after reading his Robopacolypse.
 
John LeCarré's The Mission Song,

Willa Cather, O Pioneers!

and

Jeffrey Archer's Kane & Abel
 
Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan, The Strain. OK but not great, not in a hurry to read the other two in the trilogy. But I needed a thick book to keep me occupied during a four-hour ER wait and it fit the bill.

Stjepan Šejić, Sunstone vol. 2 (graphic novel). Re-reading, love this one.

Alexander Spreng (ASP), Der Fluch and Varieté Obscur. My German's gradually improving but I'm still finding these heavy going; the vocabulary is a little too ornate for my Duolingo skills so I have to stop frequently to check translations.
 
Ellis Peters: City of Gold and Shadows - good archaeological detail but I'm not wholly convinced by the plot. She has better ones.

Poul Anderson: A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows - the villain/enemy is less obvious than some of his other stories about Dominic Flandy, but still a good read.

Jack Higgins: A Season in Hell - the plot seems familiar and some of the characters seem cloned from more familiar Higgins' names but a good thriller.
 
"Shanghai - The Rise and Fall of a Decadent City" by Stella Dong

"In Search of Old Shangai" by Pan Lin

"Raise the Red Lantern" by Su Tong
 


"...The exchange that followed, Jed Hotchkiss wrote, impressed itself 'on my mind very forcibly.' As he recalled it, 'Gen. Lee began by saying, 'Well, General Jackson, what do you propose to do?' Gen. Jackson, moving his finger over the route indicated on the map, said, 'I propose to go right around there.' Gen. L. replied, 'What do you propose to do it with?' Gen. J. said, 'With my whole command.' Gen. Lee then said, 'What will you leave me here to hold the Federal army with?' Gen. J. replied, 'The two divisions that you have here.' After a pause Gen. Lee said, 'Well, go ahead.'..."​


-Stephen W. Sears
Chancellorsville
New York, NY 1996.




I'm re-reading this superbly written and minutely researched description of Robert E. Lee's most spectacular and audacious victory. Outnumbered by at least 2:1 and short of provisions, Lee not only split his army in the face of superior forces at Fredericksburg, he did it AGAIN in order to outflank Hooker's army at Chancellorsville.

Hooker has not fared well in the eyes of history. The fact of the matter is that he has been treated unfairly. His plan to outflank Lee was a good one and came within a gnat's eyelash of succeeding. He was undone by communications foul-ups and subordinates who failed to aggressively fulfill Hooker's instructions. In particular, Gen'l. Stoneman's lack of enterprise in disrupting Confederate supply lines with the entire Union cavalry entrusted to him and Gen'l. Howard's inexcusable tardiness in positioning his corps were what largely prevented Hooker from achieving a potentially war-ending rout of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Sears' book reveals how the hunter became the hunted.



 
Last edited:
Jeffrey Archer, Kane & Abel

and

Norman Sherry, The Life of Graham Greene, Volume One 1904-1939
 
Molly’s Game..

Molly’s Game by Molly Bloom.. my husband just informed me it’s also a movie.. so once I’m done I’ll watch the movie too..
 



"...The NATO bombing of Serbia ended in May, with a negotiated agreement that turned Kosovo into a de facto protecterate of the Western powers. Peacekeeping troops began moving into position in the area, for what would clearly be a long stay. On June 12— which happened to be Russian Independence Day— British peacekeepers were slated to secure the airport in Pristina, the capital city. But the night before, two hundred Russian peacekeepers stationed in Bosnia suddenly marched across the border to Pristina and seized the airport. The operation seemed to have no strategic objective, or even a plan— the Russian troops had not made arrangements for supplies, and were ultimately fed by NATO troops who took pity on them. Back in Russia, the demonstration of pointless and unopposed military power played well. Masha and her friends cheered the siege of the airport in much the same way they cheered a Russian soccer victory over Holland..."


-Masha Gessen
The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia
New York, N.Y. 2017.




Russia's descent into near anarchy after the dissolution of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics in 1989-1991 was not a pleasant experience for Russians. The continuing chaos under Boris Yeltsin led to declining living standards, outright hunger and uncertainty for many. Accurately or not, the populace associated the experience with democracy and capitalism and many yearned for a return to the "good old days" of totalitarian communism. Enter Vladimir Putin.

The author is a proponent of democracy and individual liberty but is clearly a bit of a malcontent. She suffered repression and reprisals under the Putin regime and subsequently moved to the U.S.

Putin plays hardball— as do all effective politicians and Machiavellians.



 
Surprising Myself

It’s an okay read, I just wish book ms like this wouldn’t always portray women as only being submissive.. I get it, most stuff like this is written with men in mind, but I enjoy smut as much as the next person. Woman or man...
 

Attachments

  • 00D4580B-E9C7-4729-B104-3F0335828F64.jpg
    00D4580B-E9C7-4729-B104-3F0335828F64.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
Andrea Camilleri, Death at Sea (Inspector Montalbano short stories)

517nQO+G8HL.jpg




Mark Pryor, The Book Artist (picked up as the author was recommended as a possible new author to follow. His protagonist is a former FBI and CIA agent and the current Regional Security Officer--RSO--of the American embassy in Paris. Sounded kicky, but found the author is clueless on the workings of large American embassies as well as the CIA. Checking revealed is an assistant DA in a Texas town.)

51LFxUJZh0L._AC_US218_.jpg
 
Last edited:
Damn! Look at all the stuff people write on the walls in the bathroom stalls.
😂Kant
And for the record, I’m currently in the women’s restroom🌷
 
Last edited:
Back
Top