Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurel

Kitty Mama
Joined
Aug 27, 1999
Posts
20,676
This is Your Food thread, where you can talk about your food. Tell us about the kind of food you eat in your part of the world and/or what you eat on a daily basis. Or tell us about whatever food you're eating right now, and whether it's yummy or not. You can also tell us about foods you enjoy that we might not know, or warn us about foods that you think we should avoid. You can post pics if you wanna.

I grew up in Southern California, home of Foods-You-Hold - burritos, tacos, pizza, etc. I was 15 before I'd learned to use a knife and fork properly. The child of a single father, I ate a lot of fish sticks and tuna casserole with sides of mixed veggies, with pizza on Fridays. It was good, but I always craved more exotic fare. As soon as I got out on my own, I dove into everything I could find. The food is always a big part of my experience in a place when traveling.

I'll try nearly anything. I like spicy and strong-tasting foods and drinks.
 
I grew up in Appalachia - if it won't kill you, it's food.


I'm all refined and sophisticated and shit now though.
 
my standard quick evening meal is meat (chicken or beef cut to bite sized pieces) sauteed with squash, onions, tomatoes, peppers, lots of garlic and sometimes potatoes. normally i'll season it with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. served up with tortillas, it's a one dish meal. i am a fan of one dish meals, mainly due to less clean up.

i grew up on tex-mex and german protestant church food. all very hearty. meat and potatoes with every meal. we never really ate indian food growing up, so that's been one of my indulgences as of late. i'm learning to cook with turmeric, garam masala and coconut milk. i also love cooking traditional mexican food. mole from scratch, tamales, fresh salsas - i never buy jarred salsa.

i'll also try anything once. i wish i lived closer to the sea, so i had access to fresh fish. i love seafood, but don't eat it very often. also cafe food. i'm a fan of sammiches and coffee. that's my start to your food thread.
 
I collect cook books from restaurants of long ago, before franchise crap took over. The local foods I relished as a kid, you cant get any more: Crab Croquettes, Smoked Mullet or Smoked Shrimp, Greek Salad, blood sausage, real country sausage, roasted corn, pecan pie, real Cuban subs made with sliced roast pork (not cold cuts), strawberry pie, orange wine, corn pone, oysters, quail, swamp cabbage, fried okra, fried gopher tortoise, turtle steaks. Shrimp Creole. Red Snapper. Red Fish. Pompano.

I had some KFC the other day. It was soaked with cooking old. Real fried chicken crust oughta be like flaky biscuits, the meat tender and steamy...not oily.
 
I make a variety of stir fries, variously using chicken, pork, or beef. I adore thin crust margherita pizza, which must use fresh mozzarella. At least three times a week my breakfast consists of cantaloupe and prosciutto. Having lived in and around Philly for many years I crave the authentic cheesesteak, but have a lot of trouble finding now that I'm in the South. Same for Italian hoagies on Amoroso rolls...you Philly folks know what I'm talking about here.

Tex-mex is good, love steamed pork dumplings, fuck I'm really hungry now.
 
I'll be honest, I don't eat much. Even when I am hungry I can only eat a little of it.

I was raised southern. Fried everything with a side of whichever veggies was canned.

Now, the kids are responsible for cooking so it's mostly frozen entrees and take out.
 
I love the local foods here: buying freshly baked Muslim flat breads made in a drum oven, popcorn bagged just after it's been exploded out of the big cast iron popcorn maker, choosing the best of the veges and fruit in the markets and roadside stalls. Hot pot in a restaurant where the veges and meats and seafood is cooked at the table. Fresh stirfried shellfish laced with chilli. BBQ'd oysters and lamb kebabs. Handmade flat noodles (watching them being bashed out and stretched is great entertainment) steaming in a bowl with cabbage, soy beans, and a hard-boiled egg. Roast duck sliced and packed up with a sauce and slivers of leek to be rolled up in the accompanying pancakes. So much variety and the closest KFC is a long bus ride away in the city. haha
 
foooooood!

I used to be a toothpick and I thought I hated food. this is because my mother's cooking is absolute shit. zero creativity, no experimentation, just shit.

it took me a long time to discover food.

I like lots of foods from various cultures but my real passion is for quality ingredients. I would rather eat an unseasoned duck raised on my friend's smallholding than the most exquisitely seasoned factory farmed meat. i'm fortunate in where I live... close enough to the sea for fresh fish, in a rural area were some local farms specialise in organic and free range. I can see the local pork and beef wandering around the fields. the smokehouse I go to, though a bit of a trek, makes me fel incredibly lucky. even the hotdog stand on market days is selling their own sausages, made from neck fillets of local outdoor reared pork, with her own home made relish.
if I have an incredible flavour I don't tend to mask it. i'll serve it with simple sides. it's not sophisticated, complicated cuisine, it's just an honest appreciation of what real food tastes like. of course I have to eat the regular supermarket stuff much of the time, because time and money is always an issue, but I treat myself on a regular basis.

today I poached some smoked fish in a little milk and served it with swede, carrot & potato mash. I didn't add any seasoning because I didn't want anything to mask the flavour of the fish. it made my soul smile.
 
Meat on the grill. Always a favorite.

405125658.jpg
 
I ate three "fun size Snickers bars" for breakfast this morning. Yeah, I'm a rebel.
 
I'll be honest, I don't eat much. Even when I am hungry I can only eat a little of it.

I was raised southern. Fried everything with a side of whichever veggies was canned.

Now, the kids are responsible for cooking so it's mostly frozen entrees and take out.

Battered and fried everything. That was 80% of my diet growing up. With rice & gravy and biscuits, plus one or two other veggies, depending on what was available/in season.
 
Growing up, the freezer was filled with moose, caribou, salmon and game birds. Once a week, we ate chicken or pork as a treat. Beef was on the table perhaps once a month.
 
Growing up, the freezer was filled with moose, caribou, salmon and game birds. Once a week, we ate chicken or pork as a treat. Beef was on the table perhaps once a month.

There's ground bison in my fridge.

I'll let you know if it's a treat or not.
 
There's ground bison in my fridge.

I'll let you know if it's a treat or not.

Be careful not to overcook it. Bison is pretty lean and you can turn it into a paving stone if you're not careful.
 
My signature meal is roast beef and gravy, with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, and veggies.

I also make a nice honey butter pork tenderloin, and an herbed rainbow trout that is excellent with wild rice.

I like cooking, but baking, not so much. I don't see the point in spending time making pastry to make a pie, when I can buy a kick ass apple pie for $6.99 at the store.
 
I don't see the point in spending time making pastry to make a pie, when I can buy a kick ass apple pie for $6.99 at the store.

Absolutely. That's how I feel about pie. And cakes. And sandwiches. And soups. Most foods, really.
 
This is Your Food thread, where you can talk about your food. Tell us about the kind of food you eat in your part of the world and/or what you eat on a daily basis. Or tell us about whatever food you're eating right now, and whether it's yummy or not. You can also tell us about foods you enjoy that we might not know, or warn us about foods that you think we should avoid. You can post pics if you wanna.

I grew up in Southern California, home of Foods-You-Hold - burritos, tacos, pizza, etc. I was 15 before I'd learned to use a knife and fork properly. The child of a single father, I ate a lot of fish sticks and tuna casserole with sides of mixed veggies, with pizza on Fridays. It was good, but I always craved more exotic fare. As soon as I got out on my own, I dove into everything I could find. The food is always a big part of my experience in a place when traveling.

I'll try nearly anything. I like spicy and strong-tasting foods and drinks.
I love liverwurst, my family thinks I am a freak for doing this; how about you guys?
 
Last edited:
Sorta kidding. I cook. Sometimes. Okay, not a lot, but I can do it. Around Christmas, I made a stuffed roast chicken with mashed garlic potatoes (he prefers tatoes to stuffing, but I love stuffing) and homemade cranberry sauce and brussels sprouts. But I think that's the last time I cooked anything substantial.

But this thread is making me happy - and hungry. Please talk more about what you cook and what you're eating, in detail. Type it slowly. Oh yeah baby.
 
I love liverwurst, my family things I am a freak for doing this; how about you guys?

I haven't had it often enough to have an opinion. I will say - I'm not an organ meats person, but I kinda like chicken livers.
 
Every person in my family can cook. As a kid we enjoyed lunch under the huge tree we had growing in our back yard. Relatives came over and we'd all dress up. The women would chat and laugh and tell the kids off, the men would talk man stuff.

My aunt would make her signature trifles and sponges, my mum would cook roasts with all the trimmings. My uncles would prepare the seafood and the BBQ. I would prep the vegetables with my sisters.

Fresh, healthy and good food. The people...the whole experience of eating with your loved ones is really what drives me to be a better cook.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top