What's for dinner?

Casserole of brown rice, ground beef, asst. summer squash, peppers, onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, asst. Italian cheeses and Italian seasonings.

Last edited:
Tonight we're having beef and oyster pie, potatoes roasted in goose fat, steamed Savoy cabbage, baked white onions in a cream, Gruyère, and garlic sauce, buttered carrots, and red-wine gravy, with a caramelized apple, pear, and black cherry crumble with custard for dessert.

Ohhhh, I have missed this thread.

Chicken noodle soup! Spent most of the day writing so cooking was real basic!

Tonight we're having beef and oyster pie, potatoes roasted in goose fat, steamed Savoy cabbage, baked white onions in a cream, Gruyère, and garlic sauce, buttered carrots, and red-wine gravy, with a caramelized apple, pear, and black cherry crumble with custard for dessert.

Wow, that sounds fancy and amazing.

Egg noodles? Chicken breast I imagine? Do you season the chicken?

Oh it was a total improvisation. Spaghetti for noodles. Chicken legs coz that was what was at the front of the freezer, some soy sauce and chicken soup stock and throw in a few vegetables. Instant college cooking 101. Nothing fancy.

Oven baked turkey meatballs cooked with apple butter bbq sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. Steamed cauliflower on the side.

Acorn squash roasted with fresh thyme and Parmesan, roasted sweet potatoes with Italian seasoning, a really good tossed salad and hamburger patties with Swiss cheese.

Wow, that sounds fancy and amazing.

Not really; I make my own shortcrust pastry, because the store-bought frozen stuff is kind of flabby, splits too easily, and it's loaded with lard; I make mine with unsalted butter and let it rest overnight before working it. Here in the Côte d'Azur oysters are available by the basketful in Fréjus, Lavandou and Marseille, and we both like them, but hubby refuses to eat them raw, he says they look like what you'd get if a hog blew it's nose after a heavy cold, but cooked in dark ale or Porter, with lean beef shin or flank, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, and a teaspoon of redcurrant jelly in a pie they're irresistible. They also work spectacularly well wrapped in bacon and prunes and flame grilled; with a mustardy, lemony mayonnaise or Aioli dip, they're to die for; he calls them 'Angels on Horseback'.

Baked onions in cream, garlic, and Gruyère is one of those 60's bistro dishes that won't go away, it's simple to make, with almost no prep, and goes well with either beef pie or rare roast beef, although my husband also loves cauliflower cheese with roast beef, it works really well.

Nice, I made beef meatballs last night.

I wanted to make swedish meatballs but was vetoed by a munchkin who wanted buffalo wing meatballs. I did a double batch - bbq for me and buffalo for her and hr father.

Tonight was lazy, roasted bbq chicken and mashed potatoes from store with green beans cooked at home with slivered almonds.

Around 1910 you could buy a Gregoire Triple Berline limo with three compartments. Up front, space for the driver and bodyguards. In the middle, facing seats for the aristos. In back, a small kitchen where the small chef prepared fresh eats for the aristos. I bet Jeff Bezos has nothing like that. Are any limos built now with mobile kitchens?

But larks' tongues in aspic won't work tonight. We'll have salad, salmon burgers, and brown rice. Now I must choose a wine... Pra Vinera, I think. Yeah.

Around 1910 you could buy a Gregoire Triple Berline limo with three compartments. Up front, space for the driver and bodyguards. In the middle, facing seats for the aristos. In back, a small kitchen where the small chef prepared fresh eats for the aristos. I bet Jeff Bezos has nothing like that. Are any limos built now with mobile kitchens?

But larks' tongues in aspic won't work tonight. We'll have salad, salmon burgers, and brown rice. Now I must choose a wine... Pra Vinera, I think. Yeah.

A salmon burger, I'll have to try that.

Last edited:
Last night I had a bowl of Poutine, which is French fries with Quebec curd cheese and beef gravy. I washed it down with a glass of Stella Artois.

Back