"Queen of The Known World"

Baldr watched Aliza take over the negotiations with a slight smirk on his face. He would have to have words with her when they were in private. If she ever did this while any of his Karants were around, she would beg for the lash after the punishment he would have to bestow on her. However because it was her former commander he decided to let her continue. She was not saying anything that he would not have demanded anyway.

He nodded at her decision to send Yol and a detachment of riders with the man to keep the gates open tonight. He did not mind given the man the night to inform his people so they could be ready for what was to happen, but with his men in charge of the gates, if there was treachery they could be inside before they shut.

He watched as the man left and Yol and then Hagar joined him along with 30 horse warriors. They were just leaving when Aliza lowered the tent flap and then made sure the ones looking towards their camp were shut as well. He saw the look of lust in her eyes and her armor came off quickly as did her undershirt to reveal her firm breasts, her nipples hard and swollen and looking sweet to his sight. As she approached the table she kicked off her boots and her sword belt and pants soon followed. Now standing naked before him she turned around and leaned on the table presenting herself to him. Then she looked at him over her shoulder and demanded, "Fuck me, M'Lord."

Baldr smiled and quickly dropped his pants and moved up behind her. He was already as hard as he had ever been and he could see the juices leaking down her legs. Quickly he placed himself at her entrance and thrust deeply into her. Both of them groaned in pleasure and he began to fuck her with wild abandon, thrusting into her hard and fast causing the table to rock underneath her.

"You my little female warrior are going to drive me wild," he gasped out as he continued to pound into her, his hips moving faster and faster as he came closer and closer to coming inside of her. Finally he could hold back no longer and he exploded inside of her in powerful jets.

Calming down he fell across her back and began to nibble on her neck. "Tonight you will visit me in my tent my warrior," he said smiling "and we will see who wears who out," he chuckled. "Then tomorrow you will show me around your city and perhaps show me where you used to take your other lovers," he chuckled.
 
As her moans became cries and her cries became screams, Aliza couldn't help but wonder whether First Captain Parta of the Darkness -- and now the Clan Baldr -- could hear her response to the great pleasure the big man was causing her. She actually hoped he could. Baldr's men -- likely even most of the newly arrived ones, by now -- knew that their Chieftain was fucking the former Darkness assassin. It wasn't something you could keep quiet, particularly when the pair of them together weren't.

But Aliza had a need for Parta to know also. Why? She knew, of course. Aliza was fearful of losing Baldr, first as a lover, then as a commander. After she had secured Onya for the man and helped him take Virta, and now apparently Vint ... when they were no longer bumping uglies in the dark ... would she be vital enough to Baldr for him to want to keep her around?

Better question yet, would Baldr find her to be an embarrassment once he'd married and started fucking Onya! The redheaded Royal was to be his queen, his path to rule over the entirety of the Known World. What was Aliza to Baldr? A warm, wet place to sheath his sword while they searched for his betrothed.

But Aliza wasn't stupid enough to question Baldr about his future plans for her. One hint at her concern might be interpreted as reluctance to find Onya; and reluctance to find Onya would get Aliza killed.

So she let Baldr empty his balls into her there in the tent, then returned with him to his larger one to ride him long and hard into the night. She lost count of the times he drove her to orgasm, continuing to do so even after she'd declared she couldn't go on anymore. He'd gotten to his knees, pulled Aliza's own limp, quivering body to its knees, and rammed hard and deep yet again, causing her to scream out once more. The man just never got soft!



When she awoke, Gree was in Baldr's tent, which was unusual. She stood quickly from where she'd been awaiting Aliza's regaining of consciousness and brought her water. After drinking, nearly the whole flagon, she asked softly, "Where is he?"

"They are preparing to enter the city, m'lady," Gree answered, urging Aliza to rise so that she could be washed. "He said not to wake you, but ... m'lady ... I think they are about to leave."

"Not without me he won't," she murmured, rising. "Go! Tell Lord Baldr I will be ready quickly. Go!"
 
Baldr had spent more than half the night fucking his new female Horse warrior. If the camp had not known that the two of them had been lovers before, they surely did now. One thing about Aliza was that the woman was not quiet when she was being pleasured. She made sure everyone knew she was happy with his performance.

It was a boost to his ego to know that a woman felt that way about him, but it also was a source of dilemma. Baldr had to admit to himself that he no longer was treating Aliza as just a quick tumble before taking Onya as his bride. He thought he would be able to enjoy himself a few times then pass her off to one of his Karants. Instead he found that he wanted to possess this woman and not let her go. Unfortunately he also wanted to do that with Onya as well.

He knew Onya would not agree to sharing him with Aliza even though Northern customs allowed it. He thought Aliza might be okay with it, but there was no way his new bride would allow him to bring another woman to their bed or visit hers. He was going to have to work this out before he rescued her and married her. Perhaps Aliza herself would have a solution.

He allowed her to stay sleeping as he arose and got ready to enter the city. If she could not get up then she deserved to miss out. However just before he and the warriors left she rode up and took her place beside him. He chuckled at the look on her face as did a few other of the warriors. "I am sorry Aliza. You seemed to be so exhausted I decided to leave you sleeping, however I am glad you have made it," Baldr quipped. now his men openly laughed but it was good natured laughter.

They set off for the city and were soon passing through it's gates where Parta and the men dispatched met them. No one else seemed to be on the streets except a few warriors. Parta bowed to Baldr. "The warriors have been confined to the barracks lord Baldr and the priests to the Temple. The people were told they were free to go about their usual activities but I am afraid they are to scared to do so. Most are in their homes. Only the fisherman are out and that is because they are out on the lake."

Baldr nodded then gestured for his men to begin their search. They had already been briefed and they split into groups of three and set off. He looked at Parta and Aliza. "Take me to these priests. I would speak to the one in charge," he said with a slight growl in his voice.
 
The procession moved through the city streets at a slow trot, Parta followed by Baldr and Hagar, Aliza and Yol, and a contingent of Horse Warriors including swordsmen and archers, armed with and now somewhat trained to use the Darkness bows should the need arise. Aliza hoped there would be no violence. The cost to the Virtans would be staggering.

Though the streets were all but abandoned initially, all along the route faces of Virtans peeked out from through cracked windows and doors. Soon, people were watching from the dark alleys and alcoves, then door steps. By the time the procession had passed the halfway mark to the Castle Gate, there were people lining the street to get a look at the invaders who had taken control of their city without spilling a drop of blood.

Those people who did come to see view the procession showed their respect as was customary in the Territory. They pressed the fingertips of both hands together, palms apart an inch or so, hands before their chests, and bowed their heads forward a few inches, their gazes always upon those to whom the respect was being shown.

Aliza watched not the shows of respect themselves, though, but instead the aim of the gazes on those showing them. Most eyes went immediately to the northern heathen. With the exception of the odd merchant who'd chanced trade with the north, few if any of the people of Virta had ever seen such a man before, and Aliza could only imagine the thoughts filling their minds.

After spotting Baldr riding behind their well known First Captain, the Virtans then got their first look at Aliza/ First because unlike Parta, Aliza had not been known to the people of Virta. Her service had always been one of anonymity, with only her fellow Darkness and a few key Priests of the Order being able to identify her by sight. So just as the people of Virta were gazing upon this heathen Chief from the North, they thought this wild woman riding behind him must be some sort of heathen warrioress as well. The bare skin, refreshed face paint, feathers and furs, and dramatic, exotic weapons took the attention away from the remnants of the Darkness uniform that matched that worn by the Officer leading the way.

They arrived at and passed through the Castle's outer gate, and the sudden sight of two dozen fully armed Darkness swordsmen caused Aliza's heartbeat to accelerate. She reached to the hilt of her Northern sword, grasping but not pulling it. They'd been betrayed, she was sure. Baldr and Aliza would be assassinated, as would be their Protectors and most capable Bodyguards and Karants. The Horse Warrior army would then be forced to attack without their leadership or withdraw. This all ran through Aliza's mind in a flash.

Then, in just as quick a flash at the click of their Lieutenant's heels, the Darkness swordsmen stiffened to attention, assumed the same pressed fingers sign of respect, and nodded their heads toward the procession. Parta looked back over his shoulder to Baldr, then turned his horse and dismounted. Aliza followed, eying Baldr to let him know that this was the end of the ride.

"This way," Parta said.

They turned and headed for the Castle's inner gate, flanked by two more pair of Darkness officers, all of whom showed their respect as well. Aliza was nervous because of the Darkness presence, and yet they made their way without any of the previously stationed Darkness following and without another man or woman in black being seen.

Baldr peeked back at Aliza at one point, and she smiled and nodded to reassure him. He had to be overwhelmed by what he was seeing. Despite the destruction and pillaging of the Falling Wars, the last decade had seen the Virtan Castle rebuilt into one of the grandest structures ever seen. The arched ceilings ranged anywhere between twenty and fifty feet above them, with pillars more than a man's height in diameter. Tapestries depicting the histories of the Known World greatest civilizations -- some original, some reproductions -- hung along stone walls, with statues and busts depicting the Known World's greatest men and women scattered all about.

At the top of a long stairway, Parta turned them to and through a door and out onto a long walkway. Below them, a vast, green garden featured a variety of gardens, each of which was being tended by men and women, young and old, wearing the plain black Novitiate robes of the Order of Vint. There were vegetable gardens, flower gardens, herb gardens, and both berry and grape vines. The plants here were from every corner of the Known World; and, while Baldr couldn't know it, this was only one of many gardens, with the others located all about the castle, city, and territory in climes more suitable to the plants grown there.

At the end of the walkway rose an even more elegant and extravagant structure. Aliza, who had been walking behind and a bit to the side of Baldr until now sped up to take a position near him, knowing what was coming next. The Gates were flanked by two more Darkness Officers, but these wore armor with gold fittings that identified them as being responsible directly to the High Priest. Parta slowed and stopped before the guards, pulled at his belt, and dropped his sword to the stone walkway. His dagger joined it, then he turned to face Baldr with a polite smile.

"We must disarm," Aliza said softly to her Chieftain, beginning to shed her own weapons. It took her longer than it did Parta, as would be expected, but soon the only weapons on her were her hands and her mind. She looked to Baldr and said reassuringly, "It is safe, m'lord. No bled has ever been shed ... or ever will be shed ... inside the walls of the Temple of the Order of Vint."
 
Baldr was surprised at the state of the city. He had grown up on the tales his mother had told him of the great cities of the south, especially the twin cities of Vint and Varta, but she had also told him how the had been destroyed when the Falling wars had happened. Those in the North had never suffered from those Wars. Their way of life was much the same as it had ever been. They had no real permanent structures to topple nor hierarchy to pull down. Except for a few small temples dedicated to their gods that no one would ever destroy for fear of angering them and being denied the afterlife, they lived in the tents their forefathers had once lived in, many times patched and added to but still the same.

He had expected to ride through the gates and find the people living in patched up houses. Instead he found magnificent structures and fully planned out streets. It was just how his mother had described it to him. As they continued through the streets towards the main castle, the people finally came out of their houses and he got his first look at them. They were much shorter than him and most people from the north, although their skin was much the same color. Most were thin like Onya, even the males, although some had some muscle on them. All of them however stopped and bowed and he saw that it was all directed at him. He saw fear in their eyes but also wonder. He smiled a little and rode on. He wondered himself if that expression would last for any length of time.

As they entered the main castle gates he saw that a group of Darkness warriors was lined up on either side. He could sense Aliza's tension as well as that of his warriors but he remained calm. If these warriors had wanted to attack they would have done so from the shadows without revealing themselves. Indeed they merely stiffened up and bowed like the people outside and Parta dismounted.

As Aliza did he realized they could go no further and was dismounting even as Aliza gave him a look to tell him this was so. The small amount of his warriors left followed suit and they all followed Parta as he led them into the castle proper. One at a time Baldr pointed at passages and a warrior would sprint off. Finally it was just himself, Aliza and Parta. He was again impressed by the extravagance of the castle. Everywhere he looked he could see the fruits of hard work. His practiced eye noted where repair work had been done on statues and stonework, and what rugs and tapestries were new and which were old. It must have taken many hands to do this in so little time and he wondered if it had been done freely or under duress.

As they came to the gardens he paused for a moment to look out at them. Never had he seen such an abundance of different crops in such a small area. He smiled and took it all in. He would have one of his Karants find out who ran such a thing and get him to tell him his secrets. The north could use a man like him. The small valley Baldr had chosen for his village was one of the few that had a mild winter, although by Southern standards it would still be considered very cold. If this man could show them how to grow good crops in their soil in the time they had, Baldr would make him a very rich person indeed.

Turning he caught up to Parta as Aliza joined him at his elbow. The structure they approached was even more elaborate than any he had seen yet, and two darkness warriors guarded it's doors. These two had gold on their armor though and Baldr knew instinctively that it meant something and perhaps something he should know.

Parta paused in front of the door and began to take off his weapons as did Aliza. "We must disarm," Aliza said softly."It is safe, m'lord. No blood has ever been shed ... or ever will be shed ... inside the walls of the Temple of the Order of Vint." Baldr stared at the two men guarding the door then began to unbuckle his sword belt. Dropping it to the floor he smiled then reached into the tops of each of his boots and removed a dagger from each of them. He smiled at Aliza and shrugged. "I am picking up bad habits from you."

Looking at the guards they finally nodded and pushed open the doors and Parta led them inside. Baldr looked around and again was stunned at the elegance of the building. He was used to raiding castles that had been built out of wood or stone, but purely for defense with little time to make the place look pretty. This city must have stood for generations for it to look like this. There were carvings of creatures on the walls and actual colored glass that made pictures through which the sun shone through.

As they walked down the center of the large room, he saw smaller rooms packed with books and scrolls in large wooden frames with black robed priests running around in them. In this room other priests sat at raised desks carefully writing in other books. At one he actually saw one reading a scroll and copying it down into the book in front of him. He shook his head wondering why he would do such a thing. Why would you need more than one copy of anything? Still as they passed each priest would stop and bow to them before getting on with what they were doing.

As they moved further in, climbing stairs and going up floors, the place become less elaborate and he saw beds in rooms as well as older priests teaching younger ones from the ever present books. Again he wondered what was so important in them. His mother had taught him to read and write, A fact he was not about to reveal to these people yet, and he had been fascinated by the few books he had found on raids, but they had never taught him anything. They had just been stories about fanciful heroes and lonely women.

Finally they made it to a long room with a man sitting on a large chair. He was dressed much like the other priests except to Baldr's eyes his robes were of a much finer quality and his expression was much haughtier. He noted several darkness warriors with the gold on their uniforms around the room, but kept his eyes on this priest. He was sure he was now in the presence of the person in charge of the city and the one who had sent his Onya away. If this man did not have the right answers for him, Blood might be spilled inside the temple for the first time.

He glanced at Parta and waited for the man to speak.
 
Although the word throne was not used in this chamber, the chair upon which the High Priest of Virta sat could not be described as anything but. It was made only of wood and iron fittings, no gold or silver; but the workmanship left little doubt as to the furniture's importance. And the man sitting in it -- looking as esthetically simple -- carried the same importance regardless. He possessed a face that carried within its expressions the centuries of history and knowledge that were the basis of the Order's power.

As the trio reached the bottom of the steps that led up to the throne and Parta began his ascent, Aliza reached over to take Baldr's elbow, urging him to stop with a gently shaking head. She turned her attention back to Parta, who continued upwards until almost within reach of the Priest. He knelt, bowing his head before saying with a powerful voice, "I am Parta, formerly First Captain of the--"

"Yes, yes," the High Priest cut in, silencing the man before him, even as his gaze was settled upon Baldr. He stood slowly, the years evident in his movements as he descended three steps to stand directly to Parta's right. Still looking at Baldr, the High Priest said, "I know very well who you are, First Captain. I know very well who you were. And I know very well who you always will be ... in your heart."

Aliza was very good at reading between the lines, whether written or spoken, and what she was reading from the High Priest's words now was that he cared not whether Parta's allegiance was to the city of Virta or to the Chieftain who now controlled it. Deep in his heart, Parta had been, was now, and always would be Darkness to the core. The High Priest finally looked down to Parta, laid a gentle hand upon the black armor on his shoulder, and commanded, "Rise, First Captain, and take your honored place by my side."

Parta rose and took a position to the right and a bit behind the High Priest. Aliza looked to her former superior's face and saw his trying desperately to blink away the glistening that had begun in his eyes. She felt for the man. He was torn by his duties, pledges, and promises, some of which had been to the Order and, more recently, the rest of which had been made to Baldr. And Aliza wondered suddenly why she, too, had not felt the desire to cry when she turned ... or, as in Parta's case, the need to hide it with strategically blinking eye lids.

Then, Aliza smiled a bit, remembering the response she'd had to switching her allegiance from the Darkness and the Order to Baldr and the Clan. She hadn't cried her eyes out. She'd spread her legs and cried out in a different way.

"And who might this be," the High Priest was saying, descending yet three more steps toward an intermediate level. Aliza thought the man had meant Baldr because -- still! -- his gaze had not left the Northman. But as he halted on the middle platform, his path had taken a slight turn -- as had his direction of gaze -- and Aliza realized that he was now looking directly at her.

She rose to the High Priest's level, stopping short of him as Parta had, and dropping as Parta had. With the same bowed head, she announced, "I am Aliza of the Clan Baldr, Horse Warrior and servant to m'lord, Chieftain Baldr."

"And you were once of the Darkness, too, my child," the High Priest said in that same bold tone, his gaze now again on Baldr. "Yet ... you do not hesitate in announcing your loyalties as did your former Commander."

Aliza wasn't sure what to say. In the eyes of the Darkness, she was a traitor. But in her heart, knowing what she knew now about how she'd come to be in Baldr's service, Aliza felt as though she had betrayed no one. No one except, perhaps, Lady Onya. Which, of course, was ironic in more ways than one. Aliza was dedicated to finding and returning Onya to Baldr, yet doing so meant that she would no longer be his lover. Aliza had already come to the conclusion that no matter what she did, she was to lose when it came to Lord Baldr. But, what was to be, would be.

As he'd done with Parta before her, the High Priest demanded, "Rise, my child." In contrast to as he'd done with Parta, though, the man spoke not of taking one's honored place at his side. He stepped away from Aliza toward Baldr, descending yet another three steps to the first of the landings. After she'd risen and looked over her shoulder, she found the High Priest standing -- on the higher steps, of course -- two heads taller than Baldr, studying every bit of him for a long moment.

"And you would be the great Chieftain Baldr, King of the North," the Priest finally said, his tone one of respect. As he continued, it was obvious that he was speaking of how others in the South thought of the Northmen, not necessarily him. "The man who brought together the heathens of the Unnamed Untamed ... the barbaric tribes who can bring fear to those of the South with just the sound of their rampaging cavalry ... the man who comes south to the Great Temple of Virta to seek the blessing of the Goddess Un for his marriage to the daughter of Rolton of the House of Mereth ... the Queen of the Meretheni Federation ... and the heir to the Throne of the entirety of the Known World."

The High Priest returned to studying Baldr again, a slight smile on his lips as he did. From behind him, Aliza ever so gently waggled her hand to get Baldr's attention, and when she did, she tilted her head toward the stone floor at the High Priest's feet, then when Baldr didn't seem to understand -- or did but ignored the obvious suggestion -- bent her knees a bit to indicate beyond a shadow of a doubt that she meant for her Master to kneel before the man as she and Parta had done as well.

Should have prepared him for this, Aliza's brain was now telling her. There's no way he's going to bow to the man who stole his woman.
 
Baldr watched the wizened old man descend the steps and while appearing generous and righteous, spoke condescending words to both Parta and Aliza. He watched as he easily maneuvered Parta back towards his side, separating him from Baldr and then forced Aliza to leave his side as well, although he did not try to have her return to his side. He had claimed her as his own again by his words and then left her to come and face him although he did not descend to his level.

Again he smiled as the man stopped several steps above him to place his head above his, trying to place himself in a position of dominance. Again his words were flowery and conveyed a message of peace and welcome, yet Baldr heard the true feelings of the man behind them. He never once called him a Northman or his Clan what it was. Instead he used the vilest terms of the south. Baldr however did not flinch from them instead looking the man straight in the eye. However he could see Aliza motioning him to kneel to this man and he broke into a wide smile. For all that she had been with the Clan for these last few days she still had a lot to learn.

He moved up to the same step as the old man and looked down at him, the difference in their height and build now evident. "And you would be the man who is in charge of this city. The one who ordered Onya taken to Vint to be married off to some other man because I was no good for her against her wishes and the one who has forfeited his life if he is not careful with his words," he smiled down at the man.

He looked up at Parta and then Aliza and gestured at them. "What are two warriors of the Clan doing listening to some old man. Have you forgotten your vows so soon after giving them? Stand behind your chief now," he barked."

He then looked down again at the old man. "I do not hide behind flowery words old man.I came here on the bidding of my soon to be wife because she assured me the priests of Vint were honorable and she wished to be married by one. Instead I find that they are like the snakes in the grass, lying in wait until they can strike. You took my bride against her will and then have sent her away. You are lucky I do not kill you where you stand. Frankly I care little for your Goddess and even less for you. If you leave this place I will not guarantee your safety. You are confined to this building."

He turned to go and began to stride from the room.
 
"Baldr!" Aliza called out suddenly, using his given name without recognition of title or position for the first time ever. Even in bed -- particularly in the after glow of ecstasy -- she'd always called him My Chief, My King, or some other descriptor to show that she recognized his power, in and out of bed. But the word had been spoken here and now with desperation, not disrespect in its tone, and she immediately rushed down the steps to meet him, taking a submissive stance before him as she begged in a whisper, "Please, m'lord. Please!"

She glanced back at Parta, who was also showing concern in his expression; then to the High Priest, who stood as resolute as ever. Looking back to the Chieftain, Aliza begged still whispering, "Please ... my Lord ... my King ... my lover..."

Again, the irony was not lost on Aliza. She was attempting to help these two men find resolution so that Baldr could move on to a new lover, one with whom he would exchange vows, birth children, and have title to the Known World. She continued, "Please understand ... he must not show weakness ... he must not show fealty. He must not."

She moved closer to the Northman, intimately close, looking up into his eyes deeply as she took one of his hands and clenched it in hers. "But you can. Here, in this place ... with no eyes upon you."

Aliza didn't count Parta and herself as witnesses to what she was asking, of course; and any Priests or Novitiates who might be watching from peep holes or dark corners would never speak of this moment, except to possibly write the event down in what would one day be considered history books.

"Please, m'lord," Aliza continued, knowing that inside Baldr was burning so hot he was ready to explode. "He is of the Old Religion ... as was Lady Onya ... and he will not give her up until you show your respect to him, to the Order ... to the Old Religion."

Her eyes had begun to glaze over as the fear rose within her. She backed away suddenly, dropping quickly to her knees and bowing her head to him. All she could do was repeat what she'd said so many times already, "Please, m'lord. For Onya."

Again, she used a familiar name for the first time before him.
 
Baldr stopped as Aliza called out, more from surprise than her actual voice. Never before had she dared call him by anything other than his formal title or one she had made up for him, so her shouting out his actual name caused him to turn back.

Sh rushed up to him and bowed low before starting to beg in a whisper, trying her best to stop him from leaving the room. She glanced back once to where Parta still stood rooted to the spot and Baldr took notice of that. The man was clearly distressed looking from the priest to his chieftain, but he had made no move to follow. Glancing down at Aliza as she grabbed his hand he listened to her whispered words and his eyebrows shot up. Just what was she saying? Lover. If those two overheard they could use that against him in his hopes of getting Onya back.

Yet as he looked into her face he realized she was doing this for him and for Onya. She was telling him that this priest was the same as himself and could not afford to back down or show weakness just as he could not. However the anger he had inside of him could not be quelled with this knowledge. All he cared about was that this man had taken his bride and was trying to sell her off. If he had been another chieftain Baldr would have challenged him and his head would have been rolling on the floor by now.

Aliza must have recognized that in his eyes for she did something so out of character it shocked him like a bucketful of cool mountain water on a hot summers day. She got on her knees and bowed low like a slave and begged him, pleading for him to remember his bride. For her to invoke Onya's name at a time like this had to hurt her. He knew she loved sharing his furs and that she wished to continue doing so. Yet here she was begging him to do something that would see him get Onya back and take him away from her.

He reached down and with a calmer look on his face he pulled Aliza to her feet. He smiled at her and gave her a small nod, then walked back to the bottom of the stairs. Looking at the priest he gave a tight smile. "Perhaps I spoke hastily Priest. The love I feel for Onya has me greatly upset at those I feel have kept us apart. As long as you and yours cause me no further trouble then I believe we will be able to get along." He placed his hand on his heart and inclined his head, treating the priest as he would a Clan leader. "However relations would go a lot smoother if I was reunited with Onya quickly and our wedding went ahead immediately."
 
Aliza felt Baldr's hands pulling her to her feet, and while she wished she could hide the tears now running down her cheeks, she knew she had to look him in the eyes. She was prepared for him to announce that Virta would be nothing more than a pile of smoking ash by sun down, but instead she got a look and a nod that told her the powerful Chieftain who had no reason to compromise would in fact do so. She released one quick sob of relief then smiled, mouthing silently, Thank you m'lord.

Baldr turned to speak to the High Priest about the reasons behind his emotions and actions, finishing...
"...relations would go a lot smoother if I was reunited with Onya quickly and our wedding went ahead immediately."

The High Priest returned Baldr's nod of respect, responding, "On this topic, we should speak, for there is nothing I would like more than to see the civilized Peoples of the Known World once again reunited as one, in peace and prosperity under the care and leadership of a benevolent leader."

The High Priest had begun descending from his height above Baldr, and as he finished was standing beside him. The contrast between the two was incredible: Baldr stood a full head taller than the man and -- though the Priest's robes hid most of his shape -- must have been almost twice his weight. Baldr's typical form of dress revealed a great deal of skin darkened by genetics and sun, while the only skin the priest showed was his face, neck, and hands, and that skin was pale, almost to the point of sickly.

"Please," the High Priest said, unafraid to reach out to take Baldr's elbow and urge him to turn with him. "Walk with me such that we can discuss our goal."

As the pair turned and headed for the same entrance through which the three had arrived, Aliza gave a questioning look to Parta, who had descended a few steps behind the Priest. When the two were side by side, she asked in a whisper she knew the other two wouldn't hear, "When he speaks of a benevolent leader, is he speaking of Onya ... or Baldr?"

She honestly didn't know the answer to the question. The High Priest's description baffled her: civilized Peoples ... peace ... under a benevolent leader. The Order of Vint had never considered the Clans of the Unnamed Untamed as anything but barbaric heathens, entirely ungovernable. With the exception of a few military ventures into the north to annihilate specific tribes whose raiding had become unacceptable, the Order had simply ignored the North.

As she and Parta fell in behind the other two, Aliza heard the High Priest say first, "I wish to reassure you, Lord Baldr, that Lady Onya is safe and secure. No harm has come to her during her stay with us ... during her absence from your care and protection."

Aliza noted that the man gave no doubt at all to Baldr's repeated claims that Onya had been with him by her own choice. The High Priest continued, "And I also wish to reassure you that every effort will be made by me ... by those subject to me..."

That, Aliza knew, meant every man, woman, and child in the city and surrounding lands of Virta. The High Priest was, essentially, a monarch in the City, with all the powers of a Southern King or a Northern Chieftain. He continued, "...to reunite you with Lady Onya at the earliest convenience ... and, I pray, without the need for bloodshed."

By now the pair had reached and passed through the tall doors of the Temple and were again on the walkway that passed over the gardens below. The High Priest, who earlier had been getting updates of the trio's progress by the second, waved a hand out toward the gardens, saying, "I have been led to believe that you admire our gardens. Perhaps, when our immediate affairs have been concluded to your satisfaction, you will send some of your own Priests with samples of the flora and fauna of the Unnamed Untamed to Virta, and we can share our knowledge with them."

He laid a hand on Baldr's forearm again and pointed toward a patch of tall tan grass, telling him, "We have bred a new strain of barley that can withstand colder temperatures. Perhaps you could take it north ... see if.." He chuckled a bit, then continued, "...see if we truly know what we think we know about the hardiness of grains."

The High Priest stopped and turned to face Baldr, looking up into the bigger man's eyes for a moment. He continued with the sincere tone of a parent asking their maturing child about their romantic choices, "M'lord Baldr ... Lady Onya's legitimacy has been verified. She is, in fact, the daughter of King Rolton of the House Mereth ... and as the only known child to have survived the tragedy that befell the House, she is rightfully the heir to his titles ... which include Queen of the Known World."

He stepped closer to Baldr again, studying, then continued, "A marriage between a man ... a great Chieftain of the Unnamed Untamed ... and a daughter of the House of Mereth would bring together great political and military power. With such power, much of the Known World ... many leaders across the land would, without question, declare their fealty..."

He hesitated a moment, and Aliza -- who was standing with Parta just barely within hearing range -- knew what was coming. The High Priest finished, "...to Queen Onya of the House of Mereth ... not to the Great Chieftain Baldr of the Unnamed Untamed."

The High Priest studied Baldr's expression for a moment before asking, "Are you a man who could take a knee before such a leader ... before such a woman ... and pledge your loyalty?"
 
Baldr was surprised again when the old priest immediately came down to his level. He was expecting some more posturing but it was not to be. His opinion of the man rose. So he just wanted Baldr to acknowledge him as an equal. Learning the ways of the south was going to take some getting used to, but if every leader of a city thought they were his equal then it might be easier or harder than he thought.

Still as the old man began to lead him back the way they had come he listened carefully to his words. He wished Onya was here. She was much better at this talking side of things, especially with people who said one thing and meant another. Baldr was used to dealing with people that openly spoke their minds. If they disagreed with you they spoke up. If the disliked you, they told you so, and if they wished to kill you they issued a challenge. Since he had been in the south he had been lied to so many times his head hurt trying to keep up with them.

Still he seemed to be talking the truth this time, although he was not offering much. He offered his people and all the people surrounding Virta to help him get Onya back. Baldr sighed again. Did these people not understand that all these people now belonged to him? Why offer something that he could order himself? Still he did not wish to kill innocents as long as Onya was brought back to him.

As they again walked over the gardens the priest stopped and gestured down at them, telling him he would be most welcome to send his holy men to exchange samples of their grains and flowers in exchange for some they had grown that could survive in the colder climates of the north. Baldr smiled. Even now the priest was wrangling to advance his knowledge. If they wanted samples of the Norths foodstuffs they would be exchanging a lot more than a crop that Might work.

Finally just before they turned down the passage that led to the stairs leading down The priest stopped him and told him that Onya had been examined and she was indeed who she claimed to be. Baldr smiled widely. he had known all along, but to have it proved to other people, he knew how much it meant to Onya.However his next words had him glaring at the old man.

"When I marry Onya, she will be my Queen and I will be her King. Does that mean I have to be in charge, or does that mean she has to be in charge? No it means we are in charge. Maybe the Clans do it a little differently to what you do it here in the South, but our women have always been precious to us. They were to be protected at all costs. They were the ones who looked after the children our living legacy and our homes our place to come back to. They might have had no voice in battle or in the war tent, but it would be a foolish man to say that no woman ever had a voice in the decisions of the clan," he chuckled.

He looked at the priest and shrugged. "Our ways are changing priest. Will I take a knee to my wife? No. Will my wife have to take a knee to me? No. However will I be upset if people swear to follow Onya instead of me? It makes no difference. In the end we will be ruling the world side by side and Gods help anyone that threatens her."
 
The High Priest studied Baldr's body language and learned as much from it as from the words he was speaking. He smiled pleasantly but spoke no more about the subject. He gestured to a Novitiate who had been standing at a fair distant, not part of the conversation.

"Take our honored guests..." He looked to each of them as he spoke their names with respect, "...Chieftain Baldr, Ruler of the Unnamed Untamed... Aliza, Horse Warrior of the Baldr Clan ... and..." He hesitated, looking at Parta. "How should I address you now? I understand you have pledged your sword and life to Lord Baldr, yes?"

"I have, m'lord," Parta said simply, not explaining.

But the High Priest knew, continuing, "To save the lives of our Priests..." He looked up to Baldr, saying with a polite smile, "...who I choose to believe had never been in danger."

"And to atone for my part in this error," Parta added.

The High Priest studied Parta after his last, then turned to the Novitiate. "And Lord Parta of the Clan Baldr to the guest residence."

He looked to Baldr one last time with a smile. "Eat ... drink ... bathe ... rest if you wish. I will begin preparations to ensure you are reunited with Lady Onya."

And with that, he turned for the castle, with a pair of Order Guards falling in behind him.
 
Baldr watched the old man walk away. As he did he seemed to pick up speed and was soon lost from sight. He gave a wry smile. So, he was fitter than he looked or allowed most people to know. He was also very smart. Baldr would have to be very careful around him.

He allowed this new, younger priest to guide him to a new building where he sat down to a meal with both Parta and Aliza. He studied them both as they ate and drank and both refused to meet his eyes occassionally.

Finally he looked at the two of them. "Aliza, Parta, You have both sworn to follow me and pledged your life to Clan Baldr. I have honored you both by allowing you to become Horse warriors and all the rights that go with that, however today your honor was tested. You both have Gods that are not like the Gods of the North. I even further understand that the priest we just met used to be the man you took orders from and is the one who represents your gods here." He looked both of them in the eyes to make sure they understood his next words were very important.

"However to a Horse warrior his clan chief is to be obeyed first, his Karant second, and his god last. Today both of you did not follow those directions, but you have not grown up within the clan, so I am willing to overlook it. However it will be just this once," He glared at both of them.

Sitting back from the table he stood up and gestured for them to follow him outside. As they did he blew a clear note on a horn attached to his belt and over the next half hour his men made their way to him to report their findings. All reported no signs of Onya but he had also received reports on the state of the defenses, food stores, money, luxuries, citizens, the actual city itself, water supplies, etc.

He sent each man inside to get a meal as they reported in until he had a good idea of the entire strength of the city, how long it could last, and exactly how much he could get out of it if he sacked it. It was impressive especially the estimates from inside the castle, but it was worth more to him as a functioning city.

"Let's hope your priest is successful in his mission," he said to the two warriors at his side. "I do not have the time to pause here long and I feel fighting against your fellow warriors would not sit well with you."
 
(FYI: I have to interject one major point in between the action of your last post.)

Once they'd been escorted to quarters with Baldr and furnished a meal, Aliza and Parta went very quiet. They were in uncharted waters, as the sea adventurers of the Great Circle Sea would say, and they were dealing with these issues of growing drama in different ways.

After Baldr lectured the pair about where they must put their loyalty, Parta stood and walked over to a window overlooking the city. He could feel the eyes of the pair upon him, finally turning to return the scrutiny.

"The High Priest is an honest man," he began with the tone of a military man making a report to his superiors. He looked directly at Baldr, continuing, "All that he has said ... all that he has promised will come to be. He will not betray his promises. However..."

When Aliza saw Parta look to her and hesitate, she took over with a knowing tone, "Without his knowledge, others will do things that will cause us delay ... and possibly even prevent us from accomplishing what we intend--" She looked to Baldr, finishing, "--including recovering Lady Onya."

"Yes," Parta answered. He said to Aliza, "The Messenger Pigeons."

She rose and turned to head for the door, then paused and turned to Baldr, nodding before saying, "By your leave, m'lord, and with respect."

She didn't really have time to explain, instead walking hurriedly out of the room to the hall, where Yol, Hagar, and some of the other Karants and their adjutants had begun returning to be closer to their Chieftain. She very quickly explained to her and Baldr's Protectors their mission, then turned to the Novitiate who had brought them to the residential area and was remaining nearby should the heathens need anything and said with a demanding tone, "You are to take these two men to the Communication Tower now ... without delay."

The Novitiate hesitated, finally responding with obvious anxiety, "M'lady, the ... the Tower is off limits to--"

Aliza and Yol were thinking the same thought, for as the latter pulled his sword and placed it to the Priest-to-be's throat, the former said, "He's going to count to one hundred ... and if he isn't in a room filled with wafting feathers, smelling of fowl shit, he's going to cut your head off ... understood?"

The man's eyes were wide, and he nodded slightly, feeling the blade press against his throat. A moment later, as the sword dropped, the man was hurrying off with the two Horse Warriors behind him. Aliza turned to one of Baldr's Karants who had been in the tent last night when she explained their secret intrusion via the sea. "You must guard that entrance to ensure no craft leaves the City ... and South Shore must be taken now, to ensure no boat leaves from there either."

The Karant didn't immediately make any move to fulfill Aliza's directives. She signed, remembering that to many of the Lieutenants she was still just that Darkness assassin who was keeping their Chieftain's cock wet and warm at night. She half turned, gestured toward Baldr sitting beyond the door, and demanded, "Fine! Go ask! It's not like we're in a hurry."

The man hesitated, giving her an expression that she interpreted as I'd cut you in half if it wouldn't displease m'lord. Aliza stood there and simmered for a long moment as the man sought his true superior's blessing then emerged from the quarters. He gave Aliza a hard look before heading down the passage with a pair of Horse Warriors hot on his heels. Aliza couldn't blame the Karants, this one or the others. If a Horse Warrior had walked into the Darkness Keep and wanted to join the cause, she would have had a hard time giving him her full trust, too.

Back inside the room, Aliza found Parta already explaining to Baldr some of the precautions that he would recommend were taken immediately: securing the siege and siege-breaking weapons along the city wall, better securing the City Guard soldiers and Darkness Officers, posting criers in the town square as well as sending wandering criers to announce a night time curfew, and more.

Aliza found herself quite surprised at Parta's suggestions. She knew he was torn about his proclamation of loyalty to Baldr. It had been the right thing -- the only thing -- to do at the time that he'd done it, but she'd expected him to begin second guessing his abandonment of the Darkness, the City, and the Order, requesting Baldr to shackle him instead and throw him into a dark, dank dungeon for the rest of his life.

Then, she realized why he hadn't done so. Parta looked to her with an expression that was almost loving, then looked to the big Northman, and gave him a deep bow of respect. When he rose, Parta said, "Lord Baldr, Chieftain of the Clan Baldr ... I wish to speak again of my error, of the shame ... I feel for my error in separating you from the Lady Onya. I will for ever regret my part in doing so..."

He hesitated a moment as he formulated his next statement, which was only partially true. "And I wish to take full responsibility for Lady Onya's taking." He looked to Aliza for a moment, then back to Baldr, continuing, "It was I who first noticed the Southern woman at your side ... it was I who first suggested what I honestly believed was a rescue of a maiden in distress, a hostage of--"

His lips widened in a slight smile as he continued with a tone meant to convey his understanding that he'd been so wrong, "A hostage of the heathens of the Unnamed Untamed." He nodded his head respectfully again to Baldr, then went on, "It was I who formulated the plan, and it was I who sent Aliza of the Darkness -- a reluctant Aliza of the Darkness -- into your camp to make this ... rescue happen."

By now, Aliza was beginning to realize what the man before her was about to do. But as she began moving across the room toward Parta slowly, then more quickly, the man who had been her mentor since before she could even swing a short sword pulled his from its scabbard, reversed it to put the point at the soft point just barely below his sternum, and looked back to Baldr.

"Forgive me, m'lord," he said with respect, his eyes beginning to glaze over, not from fear of death but from his failure to be the man he had sworn to be.

"No!" Aliza screamed as she saw the sword easily pierce the leather armor and slice into the First Captain's heart. She caught him as he dropped toward the floor, easing him down to his knees, clutched tight to her. Blood rushed in spurts all over Parta and Aliza both as she tried to hold back the red tide and sobbed. "No ... you didn't have to do this."

Parta looked to Aliza with a pained expression, then said only, "Be true ... to your..."

And his head slumped back. Aliza continued to sob, pulling the sword from the torso of her first true love to allow her to hold him closer. She didn't know how long she held him. And she wouldn't remember him being taken away or her being taken to her own quarters to be stripped of her bloody clothes and bathed.

She remembered the horn blowing and the increased activity around her. Despite her being naked in a bath, she ordered the returning Yol into her quarters to report what was happening. Baldr's continuing search of the city for Onya had not been fruitful, which didn't surprise Aliza. Once dressed again -- this time in a simple yet still expensive shift that was kept on hand for visiting females of importance -- she returned to Baldr's quarters.

"Let's hope your priest is successful in his mission ... I do not have the time to pause here long and I feel fighting against your fellow warriors would not sit well with you."

Aliza was still in shock, or she might have contemplated Baldr's concern about a battle between her former compatriots and her new ones. She had lost Darkness officers before -- both older and younger, superior and subordinate -- but never one as close to her as Parta had been. He had, essentially, been her family. She'd come to the Temple to train at such a young age that she had no memories of the family that had first brought her into this world, then brought her into this new life.

"He will obey his vow to you, m'lord," Aliza said softly, crossing the room slowly to stand just out of his reach. She couldn't look up into Baldr's eyes, though not for any particular reason. "It will take time. He must send messages to Vint--"

Concerning the Horse Warriors now monitoring the Communication Tower, the priests who ran it, and the pigeons that flew to and from it, she continued, "--messages we will see before they take flight -- explaining the error in taking Lady Onya ... not that the Priests with her now haven't already concluded that she was with you by her own choice. A pigeon can reach Vint in 4 hours, and a return message the same. The delay will be in the High Priestess calling her Counsel to make a decision on what to do about Lady Onya ... and that may not be made until the two have had a chance to sit and talk face to face. It could be days before the High Priest of Virta can honestly tell you what--"

As she'd been talking, the despair had begun rising within her again. Aliza moved to Baldr, her intent to wrap her arms around her lover and hold him tightly to her ... while she tried not to cry. She didn't know if he would hold her or not. The door of his quarters was open, and while Yol, Hagar, and some of the other Clansmen outside knew full well that the two were lovers, the Novitiate standing dutifully by did not.

One way or the other, she would eventually pull back to tell him with a more confident tone, "Regardless of how the communications proceed and what response comes from Vint ... I would recommend that we send the army south, m'lord ... with all due respect. I do not believe that the High Priestess will simply hand Lady Onya over without either a fight ... or ... or some other recompense for what she and the Counsel will see as an unprovoked and illegal invasion of the sovereign territory of Vint. The High Priest has negotiated terms with you, m'lord ... and, to his best effort, he will abide by them. But ... that doesn't mean the High Priestess, or the rest of Vint will fall in line."

She looked up into Baldr's eyes again, and remembering what he'd said about her fighting her own kind, Aliza said firmly, "War is coming, m'lord."
 
Baldr had listened to both Aliza and Parta as they explained what they would do to secure the town. They both believed the High priest to be an honorable man, but he had been when he had sent Onya away even though she protested and they had each tried to persuade him it was wrong.

He allowed Aliza to send men up to the communication tower. He needed to know what messages were sent and received first. He also agreed that the two port accesses needed to be shut off so no word could be sent by boat. He would have several novitiate priests out in the streets on the following day explaining to the people what was happening so they did not become worried and he would also keep up his patrols just in case anyone tried to slip away.

He summoned some men to begin locking down the siege equipment on the walls, and confiscating all bows. He would allow the warriors to still patrol the walls but only with swords.

Finally he sent word back to his own camp that everything was in order and he would be staying in the city for now.

As he sat with Parta again waiting for Aliza to join them, he was surprised when the man began to apologize for his actions. Baldr tried to dismiss it, after all he had chastised the man and it was now dealt with, but he continued on and then took full blame for the abduction of Onya. He had stood up and bowed low and although Baldr had a strange feeling he had passed it off as a Southern custom.

Then the man had quickly drawn his short sword, placed it just below his sternum and thrust. Baldr had reacted quickly but not quickly enough. The table they had been sitting at had gotten in his way and he had been unable to stop the man. As he bounded over it he found Aliza already there, cradling him as she eased him to the ground.

Baldr backed away, leaving the two of them together and gesturing those who had come running at Aliza's scream to give them room. He waited until the man had died and she had time to grieve before he sent for a novitiate and a warrior to take her to her room to get cleaned up and another two to take Parta to be prepared for his funeral.

He was surprised when she joined him later and began to tell him how long it would take for the priest to be informed about any decisions from Vint. As she talked he had seen her resolve crumble however and she moved towards him. He reached out and pulled her into his arms, allowing her to cry as he held her. He didn't do anything but comfort her as she held him tight and let her tears flow.

Finally she took control of herself and he let her go and stepped back and she continued in a stronger voice. She suggested sending the army south and he agreed with her. He was not going to sit here and wait for his bride to be brought to him, he would go and get her.

"I agree with you Aliza. Tomorrow we march on Vint and heaven help their High priestess if Onya is not ready for me when I arrive."
 
The next twelve hours were full of activity, both inside and outside the City walls.

Outside, the recently arrived Karanteens made it apparent that they were going to stick around for a good long while: tents were set up, latrines were dug, corrals were expanded, and another sixty whores were recruited from the city and the villages surrounding it. The defenses around the encampment were strengthened, mounted patrols around the City were increased, and the Horse Warriors inside the city became far more obvious.

Inside, Baldr, Aliza, their Protectors, and the Senior Karants accompanying them were also making their plans to remain obvious. They demanded tours of the Castle and Temple and checked in on the Guardsmen and Darkness Officers who were all still restricted to their barracks. Key gates, doors, halls, and buildings were turned over to the exclusive control of the Horse Warriors. Aliza even went to the extent of discussing permanent quarters for key members of the Clan with a Senior Priest that had been assigned to the Northmen as a liaison.

Just before sundown, while Baldr was with the High Priest again, a Novitiate hurried up to Aliza with a message that had arrived via pigeon. It was addressed to Baldr and carried the wax pressed seal of the Baroness of Platt. Aliza was very familiar with Lady Stella, who -- after the High Priestess of the Order of Vint -- was the most powerful woman in Vint. Aliza was curious about how Stella would know Baldr could be contacted via the Priests of Virta; and though she was tempted to crack the seal and read the message herself, she instead gave it to Yol to deliver to Hagar, who -- with the exception of their time inside the Temple itself -- hadn't been more than a few steps from his Chieftain since they'd entered the City.

Baldr, Aliza, and several key Karants spent the hours until dark formulating their imminent plan of deceit. Shortly after dark, yet another pigeon message was delivered, this one -- from Vint -- acknowledging that the pigeon from Virta had arrived and that the High Priestess had called the Council together to discuss the surrender of Lady Onya to Baldr.

As midnight approached, the Northmen inside the Castle excused themselves to return to the encampment. Aliza told the High Priest it was to ensure that the thousands of heavily armed troops anxiously awaiting a fight knew that their Chieftain was still alive and well. Between the encampment and the City, dozens of torches established the perimeter. They illuminated the movement of hundreds of heathens near the edge of the camp, reassuring those in the city that the Horse Warriors were still right where they should be ... outside the city.

But even before Baldr and Aliza's return, hundreds -- possibly thousands -- of Horse Warriors had already begun a quiet exodus into the darkness to the north, dropping down into a low lying valley out of view of the city before turning to the east, then south to make their way toward Vint. Two full Karanteens were left behind to continue the ruse by walking, riding, and celebrating within the light of the torches, as well as riding in and out of the City to establish and relieve Patrols.

By the time the sun rose and the nearly empty camp became obvious to the City Guard, two things had happened: Baldr, now at the head of the moving force with Aliza behind him, had led his main force far enough south to prevent a mounted Messenger from Virta from getting to Vint before them; and the Karanteens left behind -- which had actually been entering the city at higher numbers than they were leaving -- had taken up posts throughout the city, establishing their total control of it.

The Clan rode through a second night, thoroughly impressing Aliza with their ability to rest while riding. The riders of one of the two columns strapped themselves to their simple saddles to allow them to drift off without falling to the ground; while the riders of the second column provided overwatch protection. Horses that were injured by missteps on the ancient and sometimes rough Virta-Vint Road were swapped out for fresh mounts from the reserve herd following behind them.

By sunrise of the second day, Baldr, Aliza, and thousands of Horse Warriors from the Unnamed Untamed were spread out across the top of a rise looking down upon the city of Vint as dozens of bells rang out in alarm.
 
Baldr had left the planning of the trip to Vint in the capable hands of his Karants. He took the task of securing Varta on his. While Aliza, Yol and several of his other Karants organized the secret journey, He and Hagar roamed the city and met with the senior priests and the Darkness captains.

The latter proved to be problematic. There was a rumor amongst them that he had assassinated Parta to gain control of the city. He brought every captain together in the main barracks and then had Parta's body presented to them. It had been cleaned and readied for the fire, but the wound had not been touched. He invited them all to inspect it and tell him if they still believed he had inflicted the blow. One by one they filed past and looked and then discussed it amongst themselves while he waited. There was much grumbling before the senior captain finally spoke. "It looks like he did indeed take his own life.We will relay this to our troops. What are our orders?"

Baldr smiled this was what he had hoped to hear. "For now your duties remain the same. Protect the citizens of Virta. However you will now report to Hagar here instead of the head priest. He will be working with the head priest but all final orders will be issued by him." He dismissed the men and although he saw one or two murderous looks thrown his way most seemed begrudgingly okay with his decision.

Turning to Hagar he motioned the man forward and slapped him on the back. "Well now, How does it feel to be the new Chief of Virta?" he smiled.

Hagar shook his head, wryly smiling back. "While I appreciate the honor Chief Baldr, I would rather wrestle in a pit of rock vipers."

The men laughed as they began walking towards the high priests quarters when Yol caught up to them with a message. Baldr read it and then smiled. Well that explained a few things. He also needed someone who knew the area. It could mean he could add another land without having to fight and all he would have to do was agree to make one of his men a noble in the eyes of the South men. A very easy task. If Tyr was going to bring him a Barony, he deserved to be one, he chuckled.

Baldr and Hagar spent several hours talking with the High Priest about how Hagar and he would be running Virta and what troops would be stationed within the city and what their role would be. It had become heated at times, but the old man had known that Baldr would do it regardless whether he agreed with him or not so he had finally put a brave face on and just agreed with him.

As he made his way back to the main hall again, Baldr smiled. So far the plan was working. As his leadership group met up a final pigeon message arrived confirming what he and Aliza had suspected. The High Priestess had convened the council to discuss the matter of returning Onya to Baldr. It basically read as a stalling tactic. He was glad he had made the plans he had.

He made sure everyone knew what had to be done then sent Aliza to the head priest, said goodbye to Hagar and headed back to camp. As he entered he noted the fine work that had been done. The main entrance and what could be seen from the walls was well lit and well patrolled, making it seem like the camp had thousands of warriors within it. Yet as he passed the well lit portion it was easy to see that only several hundred warriors remained in the camp. He greeted the Two Karants that had been chosen to remain behind and support Hagar. They would support him from outside and would ride in to help him if needed. Baldr had already made sure his own men controlled both gates and that they were secure.

He then waited for Aliza and rode through camp and with his remaining men rode quickly down the small valley's away from Varta to the south to meet up with his main force and then began riding towards Vint.

It was a tough ride made doubly so when they had to find a new place to cross because of the washed out bridge. He relied on what his own men had found and proceeded to small ford points and shallow points to swim across before his forces once again joined up and traveled together en mass towards Vint.

As they arrived and looked down on the city and began to set up camp, he smiled as the bells began to ring. He saw men scurrying about on their walls and the gates being hastily closed. It just proved what he had thought. They never imagined he would come to pick up his bride. Well they would just have to get used to him doing things they never imagined. As he set his men to once again making fortifications and sending his scouts out to hunt, he led Aliza, Yol, and his bodyguards down towards the town under flags of truce to see if they were ready to talk about his bride.
 
(Map of the Known World)


As she looked down upon the activity happening atop the City walls and around the base and gates, Aliza's gaze moved about the wider scene. She pointed Baldr's attention to the edge of the forest half a mile distant, where fresh stumps and long troughs in the soft earth could be seen.

"They've been logging," she told him, letting her extended finger follow wagon from the logging to the gate. "Gate supports and barriers ... catapults ... trebuchets ... ballista." She took a moment to consider the evidence, then warned Baldr, "They've been preparing for several days, likely since just after we crossed the river into Vint. Most of the machines will already be complete."

One of the many Outriders who had been sent ahead to scout Vint rode up at a fast gallop, then dismounted skillfully even as his horse was still skidding to a stop a few yards from Baldr. He reported excitedly, "M'lord! Army approaching from the east. A thousand foot soldiers ... two hundred horse."

"From the City of Ketch on the Tella-Un peninsula," Aliza said to Baldr after asking the Outrider for a description of the banner at the head of the force. "If Ketch is coming to Vint's aid, Suva won't be far behind ... by land and sea both."

When Aliza asked the Outrider if he'd gotten a look at the harbor, he reported further, "A hundred ship, maybe more."

Aliza considered the new information, calculated, and told Baldr with obvious concern, "3,000 men, m'lord, ... 500 horse. It is a formidable force."

She left her analysis there, not eager to insinuate that the Clan might not be able to defeat such a force. The Horse Warriors were fierce and powerful, but the Vintans had the home field advantage ... and a wall ... and siege equipment...




As the Karanteens prepared for the presumed fight to come, Baldr and his Karants talked strategy, with Aliza offering her knowledge anytime it was needed. Another Outrider hurried up, reporting, "Envoy from the City, m'lord."



As they had at Virta, Baldr, Aliza, Yol, select Karants, and a small detachment of Horse Soldiers rode down the ridge to meet with a similarly sized group from the city. Aliza had been expecting nothing different than that which had happened back at Virta. But as they got close enough to slow their horses to a non-threatening walk, her eyes widened at the sight of the Envoy...

ar3cQEZ.jpg

The woman smiled to Aliza as she examined the former Darkness Officer's new look. She laughed lightly, saying with humor, "I'd been told you were spending these days ... out of uniform."

"This is my new uniform." Aliza corrected with the same humor and a laugh of her own. She looked at the other woman's clothing, returning, "You seem to be out of uniform, too."

"I am no longer only a Darkness Officer," the woman told Aliza.

When she didn't explain further, Aliza asked with surprise, "You are First Captain of the City Guard?"

The woman smiled her acknowledgment.

"A woman," Aliza continued, more of a doubtful statement than a question. When the woman only widened her smile and nodded lightly, Aliza looked between her and the man beside her, saying, "First Captain Ellanora of the City of Vint Darkness ... may I introduce Lord Baldr, Chieftain of the Clans of the Unnamed Untamed--"

"Betrothed of the Lady Onya..." Ellanora interrupted, now looking directly at Baldr with a serious expression as she continued, "...and the wanna-be King of the Known World."

Aliza's stomach rolled over anxiously. She knew Ellanora well, as they had trained together for several years. And she knew what the tone in her voice meant. And just as Aliza expected, Ellanora continued without waiting for response, "Per the unanimous decision of the Council of the Order of Vint, the Lady Onya, daughter of Lord Rolton of the House of Mereth, is to remain in the care of the High Priestess until properly wedded to a Noble of appropriate lineage."

Ellanora hesitated for only a moment before finishing, "Lord Baldr, Chieftain of the Clans of the Unnamed Untamed ... you have illegally invaded the sovereign lands of the Territory of Vint and are requested to return to your own lands ... or ... we will return you to those lands against your will."
 
Last edited:
Baldr had seen all the new work that had been done, and how the forest had been logged. He knew what that meant and he grew furious. The high priestess had never been going to return Onya and had been using whatever time she could to prepare for his arrival. The fact that he had arrived now had probably spoiled some of her plans.

He nodded when he received the news about the approaching army from the east. They had probably hoped to be inside Vint's walls before he arrived. Well It would cost them dearly. He sent a dozen good riders to keep track of their progress and to find a nice battlefield where they could be slaughtered.

As the camp was being set up Baldr discussed new plans with Aliza and his Karants to take into account their new intelligence. It now appeared they were in for a long battle and they would not be getting Onya back easily. Baldr was mad and his Karants knew the signs. They just hoped they would not end up suffering his wrath.

When he was informed of the party coming out to greet him he knew what it would be about and so was prepared for it. He was surprised that the city was being led by a woman but it did not change his plans. He sat in silence and listened to her demands then he smiled down at her.

"You are in charge here? Then we can solve this problem very easily. I have come to reclaim my bride and I will do so. How many die is up to you. In the Clans we have a way that saves many lives. The chiefs fight and the one that survives rules over all. I offer you that challenge Ellanora of the city of Vint. Will you face me in single combat with the fate of this entire war riding on your shoulders. For if you win my men will turn around and leave these lands never to return. However if I win I will marry Onya and my claim as her king will be upheld. What say you?"

He looked at her and knew what the answer would be. She would not risk such a thing nor would she be allowed to by her masters. He sneered at her and waved her away. "Go back to the men's boots who you must lick before you tell me your answer. You are no warrior, nor are there any here. However tell your master this. For every one of my men killed I will personally see that ten priests die even if I have to search the entire world to fulfill my oath."

Baldr turned to go and then turned back. "Oh and if you would please tell them to use their far seeing glasses and look east, I will be happy to show them just what is awaiting them should they step outside of their precious city."

Smiling nastily he took off at a full gallop back towards his camp and called together his Karants again. It was time to plan the attack on the approaching army. He wouldn't need his full force. Against a thousand foot and only 200 hundred horse he would barely need a thousand of his own troops,but he wanted to completely annihilate them and send a message to those inside the city. He started making plans to take 3000 troops, half his force, along with those armed with the new re curved bows. He had over 300 warriors armed with them now, all very proficient at using them.

Now he just had to wait until the army got close enough.
 
"It is a good plan, m'lord, and you will be victorious," Aliza told Baldr in a confident tone after asking for a private audience with him. "But it will not get Lady Onya back."

She moved closer to him, into the personal space she'd been allowed after becoming his lover. She said in a softer tone, "They will move her at some time ... between now and your taking of the city. You may find this hard to believe..."

As soon as she said it, she recalled what Baldr had already done in an effort to retrieve his betrothed, and realized that he might believe it without hardship. She continued, "The High Priestess may envision Lady Onya's significance as even more important than the capitol of the Territory of Vint itself. They will defend the City to the last man ... but ... they will not feel defeated as long as they have the heir to the Known World in their hands."

She stepped close enough to Baldr for her natural scent to waft into his nostrils, telling him with a sincere tone, "I will get Lady Onya back ... tonight! While the Clan rides down upon the Ketchan army, and the reserve troops continue with the construction of the siege equipment--"

The Clan had begun its own logging, and while the trebuchets would not be ready for days, it wasn't uncommon for an invading army to initiate its attack weeks, months, sometimes years after its arrival on scene.

She continued about her offer, "--I can enter the City alone ... find Lady Onya ... and get her out safely."

She pressed up into Baldr's arms, reaching out to take his face into her hands as she leaned in to kiss him. It was a tender kiss, passionate but not erotic, and when she pulled back, she whispered to her Chieftain, "I will bring your betrothed home to you, m'love..."

She'd never called him that before. It simply wasn't appropriate. She was his lover of the moment, his play thing while he waited to marry Lady Onya and begin his quest to conquer the Known World. But regardless of their relationship and regardless of how Baldr felt about her, Aliza had come to love the Northman like she never had another person over the course of her entire life.

She finished what she was saying, "If you vow ... to release me from my own vow."

With her eyes beginning to glaze over, Aliza pressed a finger tip to Baldr's lips to prevent him from speaking until she had finished. "I cannot continue to be a Horse Warrior of the Clan Baldr. I cannot remain at your side. I cannot be a part of your life that does not end at sundown with me in your arms in the throes of passion. I will bring Lady Onya back to you ... to wed you ... to birth your children ... your sons ... your heir ... and then ... I will leave ... take my bow--"

She looked down into the cleavage of her bosom, now even more exposed after yet more alterations to her Darkness uniform, and smiled, continuing, "--and my Northern look ... and find a new place to call home ... where I will not feel as if traitor or ally to anyone for whom I have made ... or broken ... a pledge."
 
Baldr reached out and clasped Aliza to him. He had come to realize that this woman meant as much to him as Onya did but in a totally different way. He also knew that Onya would never accept her like a Northern woman would and that made him sad. He was going to loose a part of him when she left but he knew it was the right thing to do.

"You will always have my love my one and only female Horse warrior," he smiled as he kissed her tenderly then slowly began to undress her. "However I hope you don't mind if I indulge myself one last time."

Baldr took his time, making love to her slowly, savoring every inch of her body as if committing it to memory. He stroked, licked, caressed, kissed and pounded into her until she screamed out his name time and time again and he finally filled her up several times. They lay together cuddling before he finally kissed her for the last time and got up and dressed in his armor.

As he prepared to ride out to battle he looked at her. "Bring me back my bride and we will find a true place of honor for you." He then smiled. "Now let me go and cause one hell of a distraction for you."

Slipping from his tent he mounted his horse and rode to where his men waited for him. He led them towards the city yelling and hollering before peeling away towards the east. They traveled a few miles before being met by a scout and led the rest of the way to a wide open plain. The Ketchian army was approaching from the other side and was halfway across, but they paused as his 2000 warriors appeared. Baldr smiled and yelled out a challenge, which was picked up by his men.

They spread out facing down the plain in large ranks and began a slow walk towards the Ketchian's. They on their part hastily moved their Cavalry to the flanks and their foot soldiers into files with shields at the front to receive their charge. Baldr smiled. He loved when the enemy did exactly as he predicted. He raised his hand and his troops began to walk forward and then suddenly there came a large horn call.

He saw the tension on the faces before him as they expected his men to charge. Instead the 1000 men he had sent around behind them came thundering in and attacked them from the rear. Each man threw two war spears an galloped passed. Most concentrated on the foot soldiers, but he had assigned his best to deal with the cavalry. By the time they made it passed more than half the enemy forces were dead and they were in total disarray.

Now Baldr sounded his own horn and his 2000 men eagerly charged forward. In minutes it was over. Not a Ketchian remained alive on the field. His army had suffered only a few minor wounds. Smiling he set his men to rounding up the spoils and then rode back to camp. He rotated the scouts and set them a new task. "Be careful tonight. You all know what these Darkness warriors are capable of. After that display they will be hungry for revenge. However remember the countermeasures Aliza taught us. Keep a thin cloth across your eyes and mouth to stop their powders and work in threes, not twos. Make sure everyone can see everyone else at all times and we will have larger fires tonight."

He looked towards the city. He only hoped Aliza's mission was going to go as easy as his had.
 
Aliza lay naked in the simple bed of furs, gently caressing her still trembling body as she watched Baldr dress. This would be the last time she found pleasure -- and love -- in the man's arms.

"Bring me back my bride and we will find a true place of honor for you." He then smiled. "Now let me go and cause one hell of a distraction for you."

"May the Gods of the Unnamed Untamed ... and the Goddess Un," Aliza said with a serious tone, hoping he wouldn't mind the extra help, "...bless you in your quest m'lord ... m'love."

She watched him head out into the deep still bright sun of late afternoon, then rolled away from the tent flap ... and cried.



When she was ready to leave the encampment, Aliza was armed as well as she had been that first day when she met Baldr. As she snatched up her bow and three quivers, Gree told her, "May the Gods walk with you, m'lady."

Aliza hesitated, then stepped close to the slave-turned-servant. She reached into a secret pocket in the lining of her boot, and removed a rough stone, pressing it into Gree's hand. "Buy your freedom ... and return to the north. The Territory is going to become a dangerous place ... and -- except amongst your own people -- you will never be accepted here as anything other than a slave. Go home."

Gree looked down at what looked like a plain clear rock but which she knew was an uncut diamond. Even after it as cut to highlight its brilliance, it would still fetch more money than she could earn in a lifetime even as a Freeman. She said with great joy, "Thank you, m'lady."



Shortly after dark, Aliza, Yol, and a small contingent of Horse Warriors -- all trained with the recurve bow -- were at the shoreline of the Small Sea, southeast of Vint. They dismounted and continued on foot, using the rough terrain and sparse population to prevent detection. Twice, they came across City Guard patrols, easily dispatching them. The archers dropped off in pairs, to cover Aliza and Onya's planned exfiltration, while Aliza and Yol alone moved forward to a sewer drain she knew would get her into the city. It was guarded, but once again, the recurve bows cleared the path without alerting anyone above on the City Walls.

Aliza entered the sewer just a hundred yards or so, then waited for the second distraction of the evening...



Back at the encampment, a Karant had been counting slowly, tossing away a pebble from a small stack in front of him each time he reached 100, then starting at zero again. When the pile was finally depleted, he signaled the blowing of a horn. A moment later, horns to his left and right blew in a two mile long arc spanning the land side of the city. Hundreds of torches illuminated along that arc, then the wild sound of Northern heathens filled the air.

As the torches began moving down the ridge at high speed -- with the horrific screams of fury coming with them -- trebuchets behind the city wall began throwing balls of oil in high arcs out onto what was becoming the battle field. Moments later, ballistas launched burning spears to the same locations, setting large fires that illuminated, turned away, and in some cases killed the approaching horde.

The Horse Warriors suffered little damage, though. This wasn't so much an attack as it was a distraction for Aliza and a test of the siege weapons' range and effectiveness.



At the sewer drain, Aliza heard the echoing sound of increased activity and knew the attack had begun. It took her almost two hours to reach Onya's room, knowing that if even one person detected her, the game was lost. It wasn't hard to discover which room in which Aliza was being held. It was the one with four Darkness Officers outside it and two more walking the hall.

Aliza slipped back out to the castle's exterior, then scaled the wall, towers, and crenellations until she was outside Onya's window. Despite their technological advances, the Order still hadn't perfected transparent window glass. Despite that, Aliza could see through the imperfect semi-translucent sheet well enough to see that only a Chamber Maid was keeping Onya company.

Aliza skillfully slipped a razor between the panes to lift the latch, then slowly snuck up behind the woman, grabbing her head to cover her mouth and nose. When Onya caught sight of her and opened her mouth to scream, Aliza quickly said, "It's me, Lady Onya, Aliza of the Darkness! Lord Baldr sent me to rescue you."

Onya was obviously shocked, but the mention of Baldr preventing her exclamation of fear. Onya got excited, stepping closer to Aliza as she asked, "Is he here...? Is Baldr here?"

"Shhh..." Aliza warned, taking Onya's hand and leading her to the still open window, explaining, "We have to get away before--"

"Out the window?" Onya asked, her eyes wide again. "I can't!"

Aliza grasped both of the lady's hands, reassuring her, "Yes, you can. You must! There are too many Darkness in the hall to escape that way."

She looked Onya over, explained what she was about to do, then with her dagger made two quick slashes that cut away the gown that would only be a hindrance during their flight. Onya was left standing there in her underwear and tall, laced up shoes.

Suddenly Onya asked, "Why are you doing this?" As Aliza contemplated her answer, Onya continued, "I heard that you were with Baldr..."

Aliza's stomach turned over at the words with Baldr. How did Onya find out that Aliza was fucking her husband- and king-to-be? But then Onya clarified, "That you'd left the Darkness and joined the Clan. Why?"

She clutched Onya's hands again, answering, "Because I was wrong in taking you ... and I want to made amends for that. Now ... we have to get out of here. Ready?"



Aliza was shocked at how well Onya handled the climb. They took it slow and had navigated the exterior to reach the chosen passageway before anyone knew she was gone. But, then...

Bells started ringing, and men started rushing up and down the inner wall. "They know you're gone! We have to hurry. Stick close."

Aliza led a quick trek through the castle, repeatedly using her weapons to take down anyone who appeared in front of behind them. Onya shrieked a few times, cried out a few more at close calls, and when they finally reached the access to the sewer -- despite being uninjured -- Onya showed the definite spray of block from men who Aliza had killed very much in her proximity.

A sudden movement caught Aliza's attention and she spun around, sword slashing to cut a Guardsman's head clean off. She looked to Onya who was sitting on the edge of the sewer access and hollered, "Go! I'll be right behind--"

But Aliza didn't finish, instead screaming out as the business end of a sword exited from her chest, just below her collar bone. Onya's eyes widened impossibly huge as she screamed, "NOOOOOOO...!"

Despite the injury, Aliza managed to push Onya, causing her to fall down into the hole as she again hollered, "GOOOOOO!"



At the Command Tent of the Clan encampment, the sound of a dozen quickly approaching horses caused the Karants near Baldr to instinctively pull their weapons. The Horse Warriors assigned to Baldr were initially blocking his view, but a moment later each of them began dropping to their knees, bowing their heads. Then from the darkness, Onya -- her undergarments now blackened by sewage, grime, blood, and spider webs -- emerged from the darkness to be lit up by the nearest torches.

She caught sight of Baldr, hesitated ... then surged forth, bursting out in sobs as she threw her arms around the huge man's torso. After clutching him for the longest time, listening to him speak but not really hearing the words, she pulled back, looked up into his face and sobbed, "They killed her ... Ali-- Aliza ... she's dead. She saved my life ... and now ... she's dead."

She clutched at him again, tightly as her sobs continued. Then, she pulled back again, this time several steps as she eyed Baldr with an expression that was beginning to look like anger. She turned to look toward the city, taking another dozen steps that way, past the line of torches. In her undergarments, with the harsh light upon her, her womanly curves were far more evident than those of a Noble woman should have been.

Below her, the trebuchets and ballistas were still tossing their dangerous cargoes toward the Horse Warriors, who themselves were more having fun testing the Vintan forces than anything else. Onya turned to face Baldr again, staring at him with a hard expression now. In a low, determine tone, she said, "Burn it. Burn it ... burn it to the ground."
 
Baldr had returned from the battlefield to find Aliza had left. The second stage of his plan was well underway and he watched as his warriors charged about in front of the walls. He doubted if the defenders even knew what they were actually doing. If they did they would not continue firing their weapons like they were. So far his men had placed a series of markers on the ground to indicate the firing ranges of the different weapons in the city.

Short poles had been sunk into the ground with bright feathers attached to them at different places in front of the wall. Blue was for the large trebuchets, red the ballistae's and white the outer range of their bows. So far the Ballistae and Trebuchet were proving of little hindrance to them. Baldr was not sending his men out en mass an that would be the only time such weapons would be liable to hurt warriors such as his. When they had room to maneuver hitting them over distance was proving near impossible.

Still he did loose one or two warriors due to poor riding and overconfidence. Several others were injured when their horses were struck with debris and had to be killed. The most casualties were being suffered in close trying to gauge the range of the bows. Too many were straying too close, but still the losses were acceptable. They now knew the ranges of all weapons.

He was standing on the hilltop looking down on the city and smiling. His warriors were having fun now teasing the enemies batteries. They would charge a specific part of the wall and then break away at the last minute just out of range. They would also stop then charge again after the missile had landed. Then run just out of range along the Ballistae corridor as they fired hopelessly at them. So far they had wasted a lot of ammunition on them.

Baldr was receiving a progress report on the state of his own siege machines when his men formed a protective wall around him then all started to drop to one knee. He looked and there was Onya. She was dressed in her undergarments which were stained in filth and mud and who knew what. A testament to how hard her escape had been. She paused when she saw him then flew into his arms. She was crying and he tried to reassure her she was safe even as he looked for Aliza to thank her.

Finally she pulled away from him a little and looked up into his face. Sobbing she told him "They killed her ... Ali-- Aliza ... she's dead. She saved my life ... and now ... she's dead."

Baldr's heart stopped and he stared at her blankly for a few seconds. No that could not be true. Aliza was one of the best warriors he knew. She couldn't be dead. However looking at the grief stricken expression on Onya's face he knew it to be true. He pulled her to him and held her tightly as tears began to form.

Then she pulled away again and moved several steps away and looked at the city. Baldr however was looking at her. She was standing up a lot straighter, her eyes had a glint of anger in them and her red hair reflected the firelight giving her the look of an angry fire spirit. Her undergarments clung to her and he smiled in approval as he got to see her womanly curves on display for the first time.

However it was her voice and what she said that stirred him most. "Burn it. Burn it ... burn it to the ground," she said in a harsh determined way.

Bowing to her he smiled grimly. "Whatever my queen commands."

Signalling for Gree to come forward and take control of Onya he signaled for his Karants to assemble. "You have heard our Queens wishes. We are going to burn this city to the ground. They made a mistake building it so close to these hills. We might not be able to throw large boulders against it's walls from here, but we can certainly throw burning pellet shot," he smiled. "I want it to be raining fire by morning. Also how is the plan going to sneak warriors in by sea?"


Tyr had ridden hard and fast but not as fast as he could. He had kept his promise and taken the boy with him and although he was a good rider, he was no clansman yet. He could not sleep in the saddle nor piss from it, but at least he was learning to eat in it.

Still they had made good time, but when they arrived at Varta Baldr was no longer there. He reported to Hagar and was told he had traveled to Vint to reclaim Onya from there and that he was to report to him there.

Tyr decided to leave the boy at Varta. A war was no place to train someone. He left him in the barracks and assured him he would be back soon and set off for Vint. If Baldr was going to be conquering this land, perhaps lady Pratt's offer would look good to him. Tyr would try to put in a good word for her if he asked his opinion.
 
Nearly Noon:

Onya's request for Baldr to inflict her vengeance upon Vint had been impetuous. She'd been thinking only of how she'd been ripped away from her betrothed; of how the Priests had cared for her by keeping her under guard 24 hours a day; of how the High Priestess had informed her that an appropriate husband had already been chosen for her; and -- most recently and most tragically -- of how the woman who had kidnapped her had then returned to rescue her.

She had acted out of passion and anger even as her despair was still rocking her. Now, as she watched the activity between the encampment and the castle, Onya wondered if maybe she should have at least waited until she'd wash the filth of Vint from her skin before speaking out about the City's future. After leaving Baldr the night before, Onya had been taken by Gree to her tent, which had arrived with the supply train from Virta and been erected just hours earlier on the presumption that Onya would eventually return.

Onya had been so physically exhausted and emotionally spent that after stripping off her sewage and grime covered clothing she hadn't had the energy or desire to stand through a thorough cleansing. Gree washed away the worst of the filth, then led Onya to bed, again cuddling tightly to her despite the continuing stench. When Onya awoke after sunrise, the wonderful scent of a cooked breakfast and the wafting steam of very hot water in a barely large enough tub filled the tent. She spent the next couple of hours achieving a presentable appearance while talking incessantly with her servant about what she'd missed.

When she asked Gree about Aliza -- about her abandonment of the Darkness, about her acceptance into the Clan, and about her interactions with Baldr -- Onya could tell that her servant was hiding something. She asked several innocent sounding questions aimed at discovering more about the nature of the relationship between her Chieftain and her savior. She didn't much like the answers Gree gave. Finally, she demanded that the servant look her in the eye and asked, "Were Lord Baldr and Aliza lovers, Gree."

The other woman fell to her knees, head bowed, palms pressed against the rough rug, sobbing as she begged, "Please, m'lady, don't make me speak on such things."

That was all the answer Onya needed. She felt her face explode in heat, though later -- when she thought back to this moment -- she wouldn't honestly know whether it had been because of anger or shame. Her husband-to-be -- her King-to-be! -- had been fucking another woman while she herself had been held hostage by the very people from which that woman had come! It was an outrage! This just wasn't done!

Or ... was it?

It was no secret that men of power -- and sometimes even women of power -- often took lovers in addition to their spouses. So many Noble or Royal marriages were political unions, not romantic ones; which meant that other than to produce heirs, sex between the parties was often not the most desirable of activities.

And, though they'd agreed he wouldn't, Baldr had the traditional right to take multiple wives. That would have meant she'd share Baldr's bed with other women.

And, of course, Onya and Baldr weren't yet married. So, was it right of Onya to feel the betrayal that was filling her heart just now? Had Onya been betrayed? Was she still being betrayed? Baldr was right this very moment risking thousands of lives -- men who had been his people for years but only hers for weeks -- in an effort to wreak havoc on those who had trespassed upon her ... on him ... on them both.

"Stand up, Gree," Onya finally said, beginning to feel self conscious about the effect of her demand on the loyal servant. When the woman didn't rise, Onya took her by the shoulders and forced her to her feet, then lifted the woman's chin to look into her tear filled eyes. She wiped them away with gentle finger tips, then told Gree with a firm tone, "We will speak no more of this. Ever. do you understand?"

"Thank you, m'lady. Thank you," Gree nodded energetically, pleading. She tried to drop to her knees again, but Onya restrained her, laughing at her, then pulling her tight against her in a hug. When Gree pulled back, she looked Onya up and down and said with appreciation, "Lord Baldr would burn all of the Known World down to have such a lovely Queen as yourself, m'lady."

iQXvYV3.jpg

Onya laughed again, then turned them both toward the door. Remembering the word she'd heard so many times during her imprisonment, she told Gree, saying, "Let's go see if we can turn our heathen leader's attention away from his war long enough to notice that his Queen no longer appears as if a hog rutting in the mud."



In the dark of night, within moments of Onya's request, Baldr had initiated his full assault on the City. As the Horse Warriors had been assaulting the walls and gates, the Clan's builders had completed the ballistae. The Northmen's skill at coordinating their attacks on walled cities soon became obvious: upon signals, the cavalry would abandon their attack on a section of wall just moment before the giant slingshots launched burning balls of oil and pitch which exploded across the stone and wooden structures. Then, as mayhem spread through that section, the Horse Warriors returned to take advantage of the conflagrations. And now, still short of midday, Vint was already showing signs of its imminent collapse. On both sides of the City Walls -- which had been breached just after dawn -- smoke from uncountable fires was destroying the homes and businesses of Vint as the residents tried to flee, both deeper into the city and out the gates and breaches. The Horse Warriors, for their part, showed great restraint in not massacring the masses.

Onya had never seen such a battle up close like this. It was incredible. And frightening. And as she looked past her Chieftain, who was directing the death and destruction via his skilled Karants, she began to consider asking Baldr to demand the city's destruction before there was no city left to surrender. She had little doubt that Baldr would conquer the city, so was it necessary to turn it into a pile of smoking ash as Onya had angrily demanded?

Before she could make a decision on what to do, a Mounted Messenger rode up fast, dismounted on the move, and hurried up to Baldr, dropping to his knees in respect as he announced with excitement, "We're inside the Castle, m'lord!"

A round of cheer rose from all about them, and as Baldr surveyed the joy amongst his men, his gaze fell upon Onya. She smiled to him, curtseying, but not moving toward his war council. She would wait for him to pick the moment...

...and when he did, Onya curtseyed to him yet again and said, "Congratulations, m'lord. Your victory seems to be assured. You and your men have lived up to your ... and their reputation."

They talked for a moment, and during the conversation as Baldr glanced to the servant standing behind and to the right of Onya, she thought she caught an expression of curiosity on her Chieftain's face. She glanced over her shoulder to find Gree with her head down as far as it could go while still standing. Onya's stomach turned over, knowing that the servant's guilt about the Aliza interrogation was tearing her up, despite Onya's earlier thoughts that the situation was done and over.

She turned back to Baldr and thought she saw in his eyes his understanding of what was going through Gree's mind. She'd had several minutes since leaving her tent to consider how to approach Baldr about what she knew -- or presumed -- and now stepped up closer to him.

"My servant has told me that Aliza proved herself of great value to the Clan, m'lord..." she said with a tone of great reverence, hiding any hint of jealousy or anger, adding, "...and to you ... m'lord."

She stepped closer yet, looking firmly up into the taller man's eyes as if to emphasize the importance and truth behind her next words. "She will forever be remembered for her sacrifice. I ... will forever remember and honor ... Aliza, Horse Warrior of the Clan Baldr ... for her sacrifice. All that she gave Clan Baldr ... gave Chieftain Baldr ... will be remembered fondly ... will be honored."

She took a small step back and gave him a slow, longer curtsey of deep respect, then rose tall again for his reaction.
 
Baldr had watched Gree lead Onya away and then turned back to his warriors. For the rest of the night he was busy organizing plans to attack the city, sending men out to gather ingredients for pitch and setting up defenses. He discussed battle plans with his Karants and made sure weapons were available and sharpened.

He toured the defenses that had been built and ordered changes to certain areas. He talked to men and joked around, putting them at ease knowing that come tomorrow night some of them would be dead.

Near dawn his siege engines approached the top of the hill. Smiling he rode up to them. His warriors had done well. Only on rare occasions did the clans ever build such weapons,preferring to hit and run or fight openly, but when they did they could build them well. The big weapons they had built could not throw heavy boulders against the walls, but they would prove their worth.

Baldr had designed them to throw large amounts of flaming stones into the city and along the walls. It would keep the defenders heads down long enough for his men to attack and keep any defenders inside the city fighting fires and too busy to reinforce the walls. He ordered his men to start firing and soon large amounts of fiery debris was falling down on the city.

At first they lobbed them far into the city then lowered their sights until the wall itself was being peppered. Once Baldr was sure his men had the range he returned to the front lines and readied his warriors. He had broken them down into units of 400 warriors. As he ordered them forward he used the same tactics they had during the day. One unit charged forward then broke off, and as the projectiles fell harmlessly the next units rushed through and pulled up in front of the ballistae range. As they did Baldr's own machines fired at the wall. The enemies machines fired and normally missed and his men charged the wall. His fire storm then hit the walls clearing it or causing the defenders to hide and allowing his men to get close enough to attack without coming under fire, then escape.

Attacking this way he was able to steadily whittle away the defense and finally as dawn broke he penetrated the cities walls. His men flooded in and soon he controlled the outer part of the city and the defenders were forced to withdraw into the castle.

He ordered his men to press the attack and to leave the population alone. They were only to defend themselves and not to attack. Soon they had surrounded the castle and were again making preparations to attack. Baldr had his men take control of the Vintians own machines inside the city and turn them around. His men that had been so successful from outside the city moved inside to take control of them and soon large stones were arcing over the city and pounding into the castles walls.

Baldr didn't even bother wasting any of his men. He kept them back, surrounding the castle and letting the siege engines do the work for him. He had already lost more men than he had wanted to. The estimates he had stated that almost 600 horse warriors lay dead and the same were wounded. The fact that they had killed triple that number did not make it any better.

As the day continued he gave orders and sent messengers to his Karants in the city as well as the ones guarding the exits to the bay and the other city gates. So far no warriors had escaped although some had tried, as had some priests. Any peasants were first being detained, searched and then let go to make sure they were who they claimed to be.

Finally he saw Onya begin to approach but before he could acknowledge her a messenger rode up and bowed before him announcing that the castle walls had been breached. He smiled and gestured for the man to go and get a drink and then turned to his waiting men. They turned and cheered and he joined them while looking passed them at Onya and smiling. She curtsied to him and he bowed his head to her as he yelled for quiet.

"My warriors, I thank you for all that you have done this day. You have shown these Vintians the true mettle of the Clan and now the South knows we will not be taken lightly. You have fought hard, you have fought well and you have made my bride to be happy, have they not my lady," he asked her as he approached her.

He was glad when she praised not only him but his men and as they talked he smiled and drew her in close. Then she talked about Aliza and he realized from her words and the look of Gree that she knew exactly what the woman had become to him. Yet she did not seem to mind although he knew he had disappointed her in a small way. As she curtsied once again and rose back up he approached her and went to one knee in front of her.

"M'lady Aliza was the first female to ever be truly accepted by the Clan as a warrior worthy enough to be called a Horse Warrior. She will be sadly missed by everyone, yet she died doing what she wanted and that was reuniting us, for she knew that we both love each other with all our hearts."

Smiling he stood up and looked down into her eyes and then leaning down slowly he kissed her softly and sweetly on the lips. "When this city has been conquered my queen, I will find a priest of Vint or have one brought from Varta and we will be married."
 
Back
Top