New story - the old movie palaces

A very nice, very sweet story that takes us back to a kinder, gentler era. It was erotic and classy. A good use of language, and a great last line. Having been in college around that time, the setting and references seem totally realistic.

Well done.

It sorta kinda worked, in that you've caught the era, but the nostalgic perspective of only the two years you gave your characters didn't feel quite right. This was a twenty year nostalgic look back (truth be told, a forty year look back), not a two year look back. This is you, now, looking back, not a pair of twenty year olds. Other than that niggling, timey wimey disconnect, nice writing, gentle, a slice of truth.

Thanks for the comments so far

The 1973 events (the high school graduation) are based on something that actually happened, but the 1975 scene is completely fictional. I was in college at the time and I did have a girlfriend but she was different from Michelle (although I could say both were rather witty).

I did see The Day of the Locust that month in a theater in Manhattan by myself. I'm not sure of this detail but I think my girlfriend was not interested in seeing it.

Back