Ghis (closed)

Brogan’s strong arm wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her into his warm home. It was…Spartan, to say the very least. There was very little furniture, very little decoration, but it was clean and warm…the only things she could really hope for. When her things from home were delivered, she would put her own little touches on the home that was now hers.

There was so much bustle and activity around the keep as men approached and spoke to their king before hurrying away to do his bidding. It was dizzying how everything worked so smoothly. It was as if Brogan had never left.

When Brogan announced that he had to leave for the time being, Julia felt a slight bite of panic. Do not leave me alone in this strange place, her gaze begged as Brogan looked down to her and bid her a farewell before hurrying off. She parted her lips to speak but he was gone before she could get the words out. A soft sigh left her body and she finally turned back towards the woman that was there to serve her.

“Well…if you would show me the way, it would be appreciated.” She said softly, completely lost and adrift in the world around her.
 
Valentina smiled kindly, "I promise things are usually much slower around here, milady. But with everyone getting ready for the wedding..." She sighed and took Julia's arm in her own and led her away into the east wing where the kitchen, pantry, and cellar lay.

The kitchen was in quite the bustle, preparing a few things ahead of time for the wedding, but also lunch. But when Valentina entered with Julia, the six kitchen staff all looked up. Five smiled, bowed their heads to her, and hurried back to their tasks. They knew who she was because of Valentina's presence. A sixth set aside her chopping and cleaned her hands quickly. "Welcome! Ya must be Lady Julia. An' welcome t'ya too, Lady Val." It seemed a lot of people called her Val. "What c'n I do for ya, m'ladies? Oh! Where're m' manners... M'name's Chessie Macan, I run this here circus." She was really quite a beauty, and very kind and excited to meet Julia.
 
Julia nodded as Valentina tried to reassure her. She hadn’t been expecting a second wedding, but she supposed if it made Brogan happy, she would go through with it. She glanced down as Val’s arm slipped through hers and tugged her towards the kitchens.

The smell of fresh bread and cooking meats met her senses as they walked into the bustling area. She looked around at the large staff that had all stopped to look up at her. They smiled, bowed their heads towards her and then went back to work on the feast that would be served after the ceremony.

“It’s very nice to meet you, Chessie.” Julia said softly, nodding towards the other woman before she glanced towards Valentina. “I was hoping that I might be able to get something to eat. Brogan did not want to stop to break our fast this morning.”

She felt like a small child asking for a treat. It didn’t seem real that this was her home and she was the mistress of this keep. Try as she might, she felt that she would never truly feel comfortable inside those stone walls.

“If it’s not too much trouble, of course. You and your staff already look as if you have too much going on at the moment.”
 
"O'course, love," Chessie smiled, "we're jus' about t'serve lunch. Don' worry, ye'll know when it's ready." She hurried back to her work. As they stepped back out, Valentina chuckled to herself and produced a lovely red apple. Somehow she'd slipped it away without anyone noticing, and he handed it over to Julia.

"Something to tide you over, love. When Chessie says 'just about' she really means a good twenty, thirty minutes. The king and his men and you and I, and later on anyone you wish to join us, all of us eat together in the hall. Oftentimes the king will invite friends from the village in or have a neighboring clan leader and a few followers in."
 
Julia looked down at the apple that had been pressed into her hand. She gave Valentina a smile of thanks and brought it to her lips. Biting into the bright red flesh, she savored the tart taste and her belly instantly responded with a healthy rumble. Another thirty minutes before the meal was served…it was enough time to ask to be shown to her new quarters.

“Would you might showing me to where I will be staying?” She asked Val, watching as the woman nodded and motioned for her to follow.

The room that she was shown into was nearly as cool as her husband’s moods. It was the room of a soldier, one that held a bed, a desk, and a roaring fire. Glancing around the space, she tried to envision where her things would go. Her gowns, her jewels, her books…they didn’t really seem to have a place in this new world.

Taking another bite of the apple, she turned towards Valentina with a small smile. “If you would excuse me, I would like to freshen up before the meal.” She said, waiting until the woman nodded and backed out of the room, the door shutting behind her.

“Dear God, what have I done?” She whispered to herself, placing the apple upon her husband’s desk before she moved towards his bed.

Taking a set upon the firm surface, she lay back and stared at the stone ceiling above her. Now…she was feeling sorry for herself. She felt tears prick her eyes, falling from her thick lashes down her cheeks. This wasn’t home. It was too different to ever be her home. She was wed to a man that would blow hot one moment and cold the next and he insisted that she go through another wedding as the first wasn’t enough for him.

Swiping a fist at her tears, she turned on his bed and pressed her face into his pillow, sobbing her heart out until she had settled into a light and fitful sleep.
 
It was about a half-hour later when a gentle hand came to her shoulder, and the kind voice of Ciaran spoke in her ear, "M'lady, lunch is ready. What're ya doin' all 'lone?" He seemed far more concerned for her well-being than anyone else aside from Valentina thus far.
 
Julia gasped and snapped awake as someone shook her. Pushing herself up on an elbow, she stared up into the concerned eyes of Ciaran as he asked her what she was doing all alone.

“I wanted to freshen up and fell asleep.” She told him, rubbing at her sore eyes. “I’ll be right there.”

She waited until he left her alone before she pulled herself from the bed, running her hands over her now wrinkled dress as she tried to put herself into some sort of respectable condition. She hadn’t meant to sleep but it had done wonders for her mood. Everything seemed a little less bleak then it did earlier.

Opening the door to the room, she spotted Valentina standing there. “I suppose we should head for lunch. They’ve waited long enough for me.” She said simply.
 
"That Ciaran, he really does care about your well-being, doesn't he?" Valentina mused, leaning on the wall beside the door. She stood up straight and gave Julia a smile, "You'll find that very few of the Scots of Inverness are as brutish as the English say. They might not be as civilized by the standards of, say, the Pope, but they're good people in their own right. Some of them are tough, but when you need an ally or a support, there's no better man or woman than a Scot to lean on. That's why the people here love Brogan so much, he's always been the support that kept Inverness from toppling with its previous king, his father."
 
“Well, I suppose that one day I shall come to appreciate what makes Brogan Ghis a great man.” Julia said diplomatically as Valentina sang his praises.

“Shall we be off to lunch?” She asked again, motioning for the woman to lead the way.

She didn’t want to be soothed of her fears just yet. Brogan Ghis would have to prove to her that he really was the man that they all seemed to think he was. She could see flashes of a great man every so often, but they would be clouded by a cool presences that left her wondering just what kind of man she was married to.
 
When they arrived in the main hall, Brogan had just arrived, and he was sitting in his chair at the head of the hall, leaning over the table with a gentle smile as a group of three children chattered away to him. He looked almost like a great lion, watching over cubs.

"Alright, y'little rascals," Cole appeared and scooped up the two smaller children. "Let 'is Lordship eat in peace, ey?" The third followed Cole away. They were all his children, clearly from their red hair and angled features. Brogan chuckled and sat back in his seat. At his right side was an older woman who shared some of his features, but she was incredibly petite and rather fair in complexion compared to his dark, weather and battle-worn skin. She shared his dark eyes and dark hair, though her own hair was streaked with grey. She took his arm and spoke softly to him, and in turn he leaned down to hear her and wrapped his arm around her. At her words, he looked up to see Julia and Valentina entering. Every man and boy in the hall stood respectfully for the entry of a woman, Brogan included, and the women and girls looked up to acknowledge them.

The woman beside Brogan, clearly his mother, rose with Brogan's help. She seemed weak at the moment. He walked with her around the table, slow enough for her weak form to keep up, and in a soft, bell-like voice tinged with the Scottish accent, she welcomed Julia. "Hello, dear Julia," she smiled so kindly, it was hard to believe a massive, hard man like Brogan had been born from such a small, soft woman. "Come here, love," she let go of Brogan's arm to hug Julia as tightly as she could, which to Julia would feel like hardly anything at all.

Brogan introduced her, "This is m' mother, Katherine. But everyone 'round 'ere calls 'er Kitty."
 
Julia curtseyed respectfully towards the older woman as Brogan helped her to rise her spot at the table. It was clear that the woman was Brogan’s mother and she wondered for a moment what exactly was wrong with her. Did she have an illness? Perhaps it was simple age that was taking her strength. Whatever it was, Julia had to remember to remain respectful towards the woman that was her mother-in-law.

“My Lady Katherine.” Julia said softly a the woman wrapped her in a frail, but warm embrace. “It is a great pleasure to finally meet you. Brogan has spoken much of you on our journey.”

It was really a lie, but she didn’t want the woman to know that. All she knew about Katherine was that she had given her the emerald necklace that was currently worn around her throat. Her green eyes glanced towards Brogan and she gave him a little smile before she moved to hold Katherine at arm’s length.

“Forgive me for being so rude, my lady, but I am so hungry I fear I could eat my husband’s horse.” She said with a light smile. It was an excuse to get Katherine to take her seat again. Julia could feel the woman trembling and she feared that there would be a fall in store if they remained where they were.

She moved towards the table, Brogan on one side of the frail woman and Julia holding her other arm. She could see the insistence on Katherine’s face that Julie needed to sit next to Brogan, but Julia protested, saying that it was her rightful place and she should sit there as long as she wished.

“Besides, I’m sure that Brogan has much to tell you about his travels.” Julia added as she took a seat to her husband’s left.
 
"Oh, he never tells me anythin' about where 'e goes," Katherine chuckled softly. Valentina took a seat near the head of the table to Julia's left with a group of a few very tough-looking women and their children. The food was brought out and Brogan's table was served first. But Brogan was not the first one served, as Kings usually were. It was Katherine and Julia who were served first. The people of Inverness seemed to have a reverence for women and most men didn't treat their women like lesser beings as men often did in England. When they were all served, Ciaran stood up from his seat with a mug of ale in hand and everyone looked up.

"Ta the King, ta Miss Kitty, and 'specially ta Lady Julia!" He smiled to them, and when Kitty blew him a kiss, he laughed and raised his mug, as did all else, drinking to their health. A small smile tugged at Brogan's lips, mildly entertained by Ciaran's antics.
 
“Oh, then I will make sure that he tells you about our travel from Chester, my lady.” She said to Katherine, grinning at the woman as she saw a small light come to her expressive eyes. “How positively disappointing if Brogan does not share such a lovely thing with his mother.”

Julia turned towards the food that was being served to the table. She noticed that the woman were served first, made certain that they received their fill before the men. The food look familiar, yet different at the same time. It smelled delicious and was certainly hearty and she was sure that she would get use to it in time.

She glanced from her plate as a toast was offered and she blushed when the toast was directed towards her. Picking up her mug, she joined in the toast and took a sip. The ale was different as well, with a dark taste that was heavy on her tongue. Wrinkling her nose slightly, she placed the mug back on the table and waited for all to be served before she started to eat her meal.
 
The hall was soon filled with chatter, and with little prodding, Kitty finally got Brogan to tell her about the journey and his time in England. He admitted he didn't mind England, though he hated the stuffy clothes and seeing how people there had such an aversion to the snow. He loved the snow, and so did Kitty, though she was too weak at the moment to risk going out into the cold too long. Brogan soon turned his attention to Julia and asked her calmly: "Th' ale too strong for ya?"
 
Julia turned from her plate towards her husband as he asked her if the ale was to strong. She glanced at the mug and let out a little sigh. She could lie and tell him no, but what would she gain by telling him a white lie?

“A little bit, my lord.” Her green eyes turned back to him and she gave him a small smile and a shrug. “But nothing I can’t get use to.”
 
"I'll be righ' back," he rose from his chair and disappeared into the east wing, returning minutes later with a new mug and a wide glass bottle. Ciaran looked up from his meal.

"M'lord, ya coulda asked me t'get it."

"I've got two legs, lad," Brogan continued on by, making Ciaran chuckle. He set set the mug down before Julia and poured the golden wine for her. "Try this, darlin'. From m' uncle's vineyard down in Normandy."
 
Julia was stunned when Brogan rose from his chair and disappeared from the table. She watched his retreat until he was gone from the hall. Her husband was most definitely a strange man, she decided as she turned back to her plate. Why had he left? Did she offend him by not liking his ale?

You should have held your tongue, Julia, she scolded herself as she brought a bite of meat to her lips, a dark flush covering her cheeks. They would all see her as a weak willed woman that could not hold her liquor. That wasn’t the first impression that she wanted to give them.

When Brogan returned, she noticed that he was carrying a bottle and a new mug. As he took his seat again, she watched as he placed the mug before her and poured a golden yellow liquid inside the vessel for her. Again, she was stunned as he told her to try the brew from his uncle’s vineyards.

Slowly, the mug was lifted to her lips and she took a taste. It was delightful, she thought, a smile curling her lips as she turned her gaze back towards her husband. The smile grew until she felt herself beaming at him.

“Much better, my lord. Thank you.” She said softly.
 
Brogan nodded and took his seat once more beside her. He took her mug of ale, seeing as it was too strong, and poured it into his own mug. He could drink the stuff like water. Lunch was a simple affair, but just as they were finishing and the dishes were being cleared, a young boy burst in. "King Brogan!" He called in alarm, making Brogan stand quickly. "The Wick Clan's on the north border, sir!"

Brogan growled darkly, drawing his claymore from the belt which he'd laid across the back of his chair. The other men stood, awaiting orders, but Brogan motioned for them all to stay, calling only two: "Ciaran, Cole." Both of them drew their own blades as Brogan stepped around the table. "What banner they flyin', lad?" He asked the boy before him.

"Well... uh... yer banner, sir."

"Mine?" Brogan's brows stitched in confusion.

"They're sendin' a rider out-" But just as the boy spoke, a man clad in a red kilt and a white tunic stepped in, carrying a band about his arm with a red snake on a black and green diamond-patterned field. Brogan lifted his claymore to his shoulder, bringing to boy in close to his side.

"Ol' Keng Brogan, aye?" The man asked with a haughty tone.

"Little Wick weasel, aye?" Brogan growled in return.

"Ye best watch yer manners, there, boyo, milord Keng Lochlan O'Hennessey's sent me t'wish ya well in yer marriage ta th' little English lass." His eyes flicked to Julia. "An' 'e said ye best keep 'er close, seein' as other clan leaders 'round Scotland'r real curious 'bout 'er."

"If yer tryin' ta intimidate me, rodent, it ain' workin'." Brogan stepped forward and brandished his blade. "Now tuck yer scrawny tail and git out b'fore I'm forced ta offend these 'ere ladies."

"Watch yerself, Ghis, Wick'll have back what yer dog of a father stole," the man warned him, only to recieve a jaw-shattering blow to the face. He hit the floor, out cold, and Brogan stood up straight, glaring down at him. "Ciaran, Cole... take this rat back t' his swarm."

"Yes, m'keng," both answered and dragged the man out.

"And tell e'eryone t'be on guard," Brogan called after them before patting the young boy's head at his side, letting him run along home. The hall soon cleared aside from Valentina, Julia, Kitty, and Brogan. Brogan returned to his table to sheathe his blade and return it and its belt to his back, before helping his mother stand. "Julia," Brogan looked to her, "I want ya stayin' close t'my mother an' Valentina. If ya see anyone Valentina don't recognize, get away from 'em. Val," he looked to the woman, who nodded in silent confirmation as he met her gaze. She was to protect them.

"Oh, dear... We'll be jus' fine," Kitty patted her son's hand.

"I'm 'eaded out t'see if Wick'll try anythin'." Brogan kissed her cheek, then Julia's, and left them once Kitty had a hold on Valentina's arm.
 
Last edited:
The moment that she might have shared with Brogan was gone as a boy burst into the hall and declared that there was another clan encroaching on Brogan’s land. It wasn’t news that Julia wanted to hear on her first day in her new home. She watched Brogan’s anger rise like a sudden summer storm and her instantly drew his arms before darkly confronting the man that came into the front hall.

She didn’t like the way that the man looked at her nor did she like the way that he insisted that the other clans had their sights on her as well. Bowing her head, she averted her gaze and struggled to control the racing of her heart. A hard punch had her raising her eyes from the plate to the man that was crumpling to the floor after her husband had sent his fist into his jaw.

She was trembling when Brogan finally returned to the table and helped his mother to stand. Julia stood at the same time, helping the older woman until she was on her feet and holding onto Valentina. When Brogan said her name, she glanced towards him and was caught off guard by the intense look in his eyes.

“Yes, my lord.” She answered, nodding her head towards him as Kitty promised that they would be fine.

The kiss that Brogan placed on her cheek as chaste, quick and then he was gone. She released a sigh as she looked at the two other women and wondered what they would do now.

“Well, my lady, what would you like to do with the rest of our day?” Julia asked in a soft voice, hoping that her mother-in-law enjoyed her company.
 
"Call me Kitty, dearest," the old woman smiled and kissed Julia's cheek fondly. "Walk with me, love, we'll go t' my little corner o' the keep." Though it was slow going with the weak woman, she was pleasant company and adored Julia already. They came to her room at the end corner of the Keep where she had her own small hearth that looked newly-added, likely to cope with her weakness in the face of cold. She sat gingerly in a lovely old padded rocking chair and motioned Julia and Valentina to sit on the small sofa across from her.

"D'ya want t' know anythin' about Inverness, lovely?" Kitty asked kindly. "Or 'bout Brogan, maybe?"
 
“There are a lot of questions that any new bride would love to ask of her husband, but I suppose that it would be best if I asked Brogan directly.” Julia said in the most diplomatic way she possibly could. “Besides, with just us girls here we shouldn’t sully the moment with talk of men.”

She smiled as Kitty laughed, obviously in love already with her daughter-in-law. “Why don’t you tell me about my new home?”
 
"Well, good luck gettin' answers outta Brogan, 'e ain't much fer conversation." Kitty chuckled. "But as fer Inverness..." Kitty went on to tell her of how Inverness was usually conducted. It wasn't so different from an English village, but decidedly more loose and more enjoyable. Then, she mentioned, "It's much better now than it was when m' husband was king."
 
Julia could hear the change in tone as Kitty started to speak about how life was much better without her husband as king. It was obviously a painful memory, one that she would learn in time, but she didn’t want that sadness to cloud their time together now.

“Brogan has the respect of his people and I suppose that’s all that really matters for a successful king.” She said softly, reaching out to touch Kitty’s hand gently.

“Tell me, Kitty, what hobbies to you enjoy? I love to read and my books are my most valuable possessions.” Julia confessed to her mother-in-law, hoping to bring a smile to the frail woman’s face. “Perhaps I could read to you some evenings.”
 
"I'm afraid my eyes are too weak to read, darlin', but I love hearin' stories. Brogan used ta read t'me all th' time when 'e was a boy. I spend most o' th' time weavin' and knittin'. They're th' only things I'm still strong 'nough t' do. Ya ever tried it?" Back in Chester, weaving and knitting and such textile-based skills were regarded as jobs for peasants. Nobility participated in higher-class things such as riding, reading, writing, painting and what not.
 
Last edited:
“I’ve never learned to knit or weave.” Julia confessed to Kitty with a sheepish smile. “My mother would never allow me to. She said it was beneath a lady to do manual labor such as that.”

Squeezing Kitty’s frail hand gently, Julia thought up a nice little trade that could occur between the two of them. “I tell you what, my lady. I will read to you whenever you like if you would teach me to knit. I think I would like to learn how to work with my hands and perhaps make something for my new husband.”
 
Back
Top